• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Overnight in San Jose

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Hi Guys,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but the Western States forum seemed to be my best fit...

So we have an overnight in San Jose on our upcoming trip to Hawaii from the east coast. We arrive at SJC at 4:40pm and depart the next day at 11:15 am.

Any suggestions on interesting things to check out or interesting places to eat? Obviously we won't be looking to be out late or anything, but I'm thinking a poke around somewhere interesting would be good. Somewhere local we could Uber/Lyft to would be ideal.

And coming from the east coast, a recommendation for a restaurant that opens wicked early for breakfast would be most welcome!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in San Jose, and it is sad for me to think there is VERY little to see or do in that town, especially close to the airport. Partly it depends on time of year -- is it coming up soon? In the 'old days' of my childhood, San Jose was a town known for agriculture -- cherry, apricot and plum trees abounded. Alas, no more. It is pretty much near the center of Silicon Valley -- and how scenic are office buildings? The Apple Complex and "Googletown" are fascinating but not worth the drive to see. Oh, and I just realized we are talking about 5 pm. Can anyone say "RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC"?

Perhaps someone can comment with a different perspective...

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to check the local performing arts calendar for when you will be in town and see something that might interest you. Downtown is pretty much a snooze fest for such a big city.

Currently Cirque du Soleil has one of their touring shows, Volta, in San Jose for about a month or so. They also have decent Broadway-type shows and a small opera company if that interests you.

Don't like performing arts? Maybe check out the Sharks at the Shark Tank.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a tiny Chinese restaurant near SJC called Hunan Taste. I think it is fantastic. It’s nothing to look at but I love the food. Good place for dinner or lunch. They have a smoked ham dish, hot and sour beef, and a spicy noodle dish with pork and peanut butter sauce that my family loves.

Or you can go to Japantown in SJ. Tsugaru is a good simple place to eat and it’s not too far from SJC either. Gombei is another restaurant there.

I can’t think of anyplace that opens early for breakfast. We like Holders Country Inn on Saratoga Ave. It opens at 6:30(I think). It’s basic breakfast but that’s what I like.

Check out Santana Row. It’s interesting to walk around and window shop.

There are places to eat there but I rarely do. Amber India is good as is Consuelos. Both are on the pricey side.

Hope this helps.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi Guys,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but the Western States forum seemed to be my best fit...

So we have an overnight in San Jose on our upcoming trip to Hawaii from the east coast. We arrive at SJC at 4:40pm and depart the next day at 11:15 am.

Any suggestions on interesting things to check out or interesting places to eat? Obviously we won't be looking to be out late or anything, but I'm thinking a poke around somewhere interesting would be good. Somewhere local we could Uber/Lyft to would be ideal.

And coming from the east coast, a recommendation for a restaurant that opens wicked early for breakfast would be most welcome!

You didn’t mention what day of the week you arrive, but if it is a weekday the traffic is absolutely terrible.

DAman mentioned Santana Row, which has a number of restaurants and is a trendy area that has restaurants and shops on the ground floor and condos up stairs. If you want something near the airport and relatively casual I would recommend Sonoma Chicken Coup at 1701 Airport Blvd, San Jose. If you want to venture to downtown San Jose, McCormick & Schmicks in the Fairmont Hotel is good. Il Fornaio is a good Italian restaurant at 302 S Market St. You should call for reservations for the last two.

As others have mentioned San Jose is not great for tourists. The Sharks hockey team would be good if they are in town and that interests you. They also hold concerts at the arena.

Have a great trip.

Best regards.

Mike

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn’t mention what day of the week you arrive, but if it is a weekday the traffic is absolutely terrible.

DAman mentioned Santana Row, which has a number of restaurants and is a trendy area that has restaurants and shops on the ground floor and condos up stairs. If you want something near the airport and relatively casual I would recommend Sonoma Chicken Coup at 1701 Airport Blvd, San Jose. If you want to venture to downtown San Jose, McCormick & Schmicks in the Fairmont Hotel is good. Il Fornaio is a good Italian restaurant at 302 S Market St. You should call for reservations for the last two.

As others have mentioned San Jose is not great for tourists. The Sharks hockey team would be good if they are in town and that interests you. They also hold concerts at the arena.

Have a great trip.

Best regards.

Mike

All of the Sonoma Chicken Coops are closed. They were another great place to go.

I would have recommended Harry’s Hofbrau in SJ but it just closed in January.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my, what a surprise. I actually had to google this to read. Could not believe it was closed. However, it said they lost their lease,
after being there 42 years.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my, what a surprise. I actually had to google this to read. Could not believe it was closed. However, it said they lost their lease,
after being there 42 years.

It’s an under utilized piece of real estate and has been for years. Harry’s was an anchor. I miss it. I finally convinced DW it was a great about five years ago. My daughter loved the turkey dinner.

I expect condos to be built there.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is your hotel near SJC? Have you made hotel reservation? If not, may I suggest staying at Main Street Cupertino? It's a new shopping plaza with a Residence Inn attached. Many restaurants, and the new Apple Campus (flying-saucer design) is near by :D It's 8 miles/15 min drive to SJC without traffic. IHOP nearby opens at 6 am. Santana Row also has a hotel but it's a lot more pricey.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wow! You guys are awesome! The trip is end of June and the overnight will be a Friday night, no hotel booked yet, so we're pretty open. You've given me a lot to chew on, this is great! Thanks so much!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the suggestion of staying overnight in an area which offers restaurants, shops within walking distance. That way you would only need to Uber/taxi once when you arrive and again to catch your departing flight. Sometimes the downtown San Jose hotels have bargain rates on weekends because the workers go home.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All of the Sonoma Chicken Coops are closed. They were another great place to go.

Wow. Thanks for the update. We moved away about 3 years ago, so hadn't heard that news about either place. Both were great.

Mike