• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buganvilias this week

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Anyone else in PV this week? We're here at Buganvilias, using the first week of a resale Presidential Sky Suite, thanks to @pittle for pointing it out. It's my wife's new favorite resort, particularly with the weather back home dipping into the teens.

Sat through an update yesterday; pretty low key when compared to others. Salesman was a Vida Vacations alum who said he was happier here where he didn't have to be manipulative. Nice enough guy, but he hadn't even seen the inside of many of the units he was selling. He pretty much recognized that we weren't going to buy when he heard we had a resale contract. Their spiel wasn't too bad, though, and included an annuity paying back your purchase price in 15 years (no gains for the 15 years, but a return of capital in a way). It might be tempting in a few years when this contract is closer to running out to do a renewal of we can't find another resale one - the sky suites are pretty nice. Other stuff they had as negotiable items were a $500 per person flight reimbursement annually for coming down for the first ten years and credit of the all inclusive costs towards the next year's MF (all inclusive is an option that would currently run ~$95 pppd, covering the MF for the next year, which is just under $1K, making the cost pretty bearable). Other items of interest - they're planning on putting in a new pool in the area in front of tower B that will be exclusive for the sky suites and ambassador suites and They'll be renovating the ground floor units in tower A to be villas with walkouts to another new pool. Once the Tower A renovation is done, only the third floor (#13) will have the presidential regular suites.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the all-inclusive portion cost different if you are exchanging in vs. an owner? You said the AI cost is $95 per person? Kids are 50% of that?

I got one of those SFX deposit offers for the free 5 night stay there.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I'm pretty sure the all inclusive costs is the same for everyone, including hotel guests (there is a hotel side to the resort as well as the timeshare side). I'll see is I can find out, though.

Helpful hint - when you make the reservation with SFX, ask them to give you the resort confirmation number as early as you can get it, then call the resort to confirm what the dates for it are. We used one of those last year, though I think they had said it was 5 days (4 nights). In any case, it turned out to be a whole week rather than just the 4 nights, which caused a bit of confusion at check in because they thought we were several days late. We also wound up with an extra day on the back end. We used it in the off season (October -November), which may have had something to do with it, but my best guess is that SFX had a group of one week stays they were using for the offer and either splitting up the weeks to make the shorter periods or just telling people all they had was the 5 days.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you could find out more about the AI, that'd be great. I was told by SFX rep that it was $80 pp.

Thanks for the tip on getting the confirmation. I do remember seeing a post about the promo not being quite that simple. It's a bigger family get together so looking at getting to get a few rooms. I think the 1BRs are the presidential sky suites and the 2BRs are the master suites

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Anyone else in PV this week? We're here at Buganvilias, using the first week of a resale Presidential Sky Suite, thanks to @pittle for pointing it out. It's my wife's new favorite resort, particularly with the weather back home dipping into the teens.

The Sky Suites are pretty nice - spectacular views from the balcony! We spend a lot of time there! We just love the location of the resort - that is why it is a favorite of ours too.

For a good cheap breakfast, try La Mission just past the bridge when walking towards town. El Andreigo across the street is good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Check out this place Mariscos El Guero https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d4101894-Reviews-Mariscos_El_Guero-Puerto_Vallarta.html?m=19905 In Old Town - some friends who live in PV in the winter met us there last November. Snag a bus to Centro, get off right after you cross the river (2nd Street) and walk inland about a block. It is on the corner towards the river. Cheap food and great! :)

Enjoy your adventure.

Last edited:

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Eric. We also love Buganvilias for its great location. Never use the beach, but love everything else about it. We did the AI one time when it was offered for a can't resist price. We do like to check out the local restaurants but we also never pass up the Mariachi Sunday brunch. It's good fun.

I can't imagine where one or two new pools would go however. It seems to me that there is no more room on their current footprint, but it does sound good. (Maybe that is their slimy sales tactic?)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Is the Lobby finished? They were pretty far behind when we were there in late November. It will be done by the time we get there November 16th this year. We are using a Bonus week, our Sky Suites week, and an SFX exchange week for 3 weeks total. All will be in 2-bedroom units, but 2 will not be on the Sky Suite floor.

Someone mentioned a new pool, but that was not enough to entice us to go to the update.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lobby isn't done yet. They were supposed to be done by this coming Saturday, but isn't that close to actually make it by then. Should be by Easter, though, I believe.

Thanks for the tips on dining places. We just finished a new food tour with Vallarta Eats; their Untouristed one goes through the neighborhood behind the sports complex. Lots of good taco stands back there and a good looking seafood market, all within 6-8 blocks from the Sheraton. I'll post the info on them later. Definitely worth doing to learn what the neighborhood has to offer away from the malecon.

Gotta admit I'm a bit mystified about how they plan to fit the new pools in; if they go where they say they're going, they can't be all that big.

taffy19

Reaction score
The lobby isn't done yet. They were supposed to be done by this coming Saturday, but isn't that close to actually make it by then. Should be by Easter, though, I believe.

Thanks for the tips on dining places. We just finished a new food tour with Vallarta Eats; their Untouristed one goes through the neighborhood behind the sports complex. Lots of good taco stands back there and a good looking seafood market, all within 6-8 blocks from the Sheraton. I'll post the info on them later. Definitely worth doing to learn what the neighborhood has to offer away from the malecon.

Gotta admit I'm a bit mystified about how they plan to fit the new pools in; if they go where they say they're going, they can't be all that big.
I also asked when the lobby would be finished and it will be by Easter, hopefully. Checking in at the main hotel was no hardship at all even for Senior Citizens.

We took an update this year and it sounds like the same sales person that Eric B had too. No pressure at all and it was a pleasant update. We skipped the updates the last two years. We told him that we would let our contract run out and not renew. No other person was introduced like they used to do in the past.

This hotel still hopes to become a Grand Sheraton and then there will be two in Mexico and two in South America.

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos, Hacienda Del Mar, Mexico.
Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort, Brazil
Sheraton Grand Panama, Panama

We also like staying at the Buganvilias Club very much and hope to return next year.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They said there will be an infinity pool going in front of tower A for refurbished villa units on the ground floor and another pool going in the area in front of tower B for folks in the Sky Suites and some other group of units.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish they'd put the new pool in next to tower D? that faces the public beach, LOL! (like get rid of the access road and buy the lot next door)

We had the misfortune of having to move (we had an exchange week and the bonus SFX week) so we were moved into the build D (I'm pretty sure that's the building) but the new refurb side that is alongside the public beach entrance/road. Apparently every night the locals and possibly homeless (based upon the tents and folks washing their clothes and hanging them on the trees on the beach) like to play VERY LOUD mexican techno music from about 10:00 p.m. until about 5:00 a.m. Every night.

The original room we had was also in Buliding D I believe, but it faced the timeshare pool, so the "back" of the unit faced the "front" of the other side of "D".

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is tower D. Nothing going on in the lot next door this week; just some dogs, goats & chickens chilling out there.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is tower D. Nothing going on in the lot next door this week; just some dogs, goats & chickens chilling out there.

I wonder if it was due to the time of year. Every night from 12/8 to 12/12 random/diff. cars would show up and park underneath that lone tree and the "thumping" would begin. One morning the local police showed up 3 times but they never got out of the car or did anything and the folks that were there didn't seem to care either. I believe that week is when the festival/celebration of Guadalupe was reaching its peak.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The original room we had was also in Buliding D I believe, but it faced the timeshare pool, so the "back" of the unit faced the "front" of the other side of "D".

You were in "B" the first week. Maybe they moved you to "D" for one of the oceanfront units. The ones by the dirt road end in 80. We have stayed in 1280 and 1380 several times. There have not been as many homeless people for the past few years, but sometimes on the weekends, people do hang out there. This is a public beach access area.

A is the Tower - 15 stories high
C is by the pool - 5 or 6 stories high.
B is the Oceanfront units between the pool and "beach" area by the retaining wall - these are staggered in height.
D is the long 9 story building on the south side of the property by the public beach entrance.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were in "B" the first week. Maybe they moved you to "D" for one of the oceanfront units. The ones by the dirt road end in 80. We have stayed in 1280 and 1380 several times. There have not been as many homeless people for the past few years, but sometimes on the weekends, people do hang out there. This is a public beach access area.

B is by the pool - 5 or 6 stories high.
C is the Oceanfront units between the pool and "beach" area by the retaining wall - these are staggered in height.
D is the long 9 story building on the south side of the property by the public beach entrance.

Thanks Phyllis! Yes, I'm fairly certain we were in 1280 the last 4 nights. It had a great view I must say. And it was totally refurbed, all new and pretty. I would not, however, stay in that unit again what with all the noise/music going on. Yes, it is a public beach and seems to be one of the few access roads right there where you can drive cars there. I'd probably try to get into the unit next door (to the right) as it also had ocean view, but probably had enough buffer to avoid the noise. I feel bad for anyone on that back section. I could even hear the music over my noise-cancelling earbuds, with the bathroom door closed. It was LOUD.

Is "C" that little building? That seemed really nice, but I think there's only like 2-3 units per floor or something (I vaguely recall as we snuck a quick peek inside a room whilst it was being cleaned).

taffy19

Reaction score

B is by the pool - 5 or 6 stories high.
C is the Oceanfront units between the pool and "beach" area by the retaining wall - these are staggered in height.
Phyllis, hurnic was staying in Building D but this corner unit is facing oceanfront just like Building B. You can hear the noise from the beach there but we didn't experience it while we were there.

This person's other stay was in Tower C and some of their condos face the pool and may see some ocean view too. They showed us a model once and it has a nice balcony.

Tower A is the newest timeshare tower - 15 stories high.
Tower B is the small oceanfront building - 4 stories high.
Tower C is the tower from where some condos face the pool.
Tower D is the long 9 story building on the south side of the property by the public beach entrance.

I will try to attach a very old resort map that I scanned years ago. They don't seem to have a new resort map today because I have looked everywhere. I found a Google map but it is not very clear.

There should be a new resort map available soon by Marriott.com or from the Sheraton Buganvilias direct. I believe that they are holding off until they are reclassified as a Sheraton Grand. I am only speculating!

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Taffy, the resort map I posted is the one they're giving out now.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 10708
Phyllis, hurnic was staying in Building D but this corner unit is facing oceanfront just like Building B. You can hear the noise from the beach there but we didn't experience it while we were there.

This person's other stay was in Tower C and some of their condos face the pool and may see some ocean view too. They showed us a model once and it has a nice balcony.

Tower A is the newest timeshare tower - 15 stories high.
Tower B is the small oceanfront building - 4 stories high.
Tower C is the tower from where some condos face the pool.
Tower D is the long 9 story building on the south side of the property by the public beach entrance.

I will try to attach a very old resort map that I scanned years ago. They don't seem to have a new resort map today because I have looked everywhere. I found a Google map but it is not very clear.

There should be a new resort map available soon by Marriott.com or from the Sheraton Buganvilias direct. I believe that they are holding off until they are reclassified as a Sheraton Grand. I am only speculating!

Yes, so I google the satellite view. Yes, we were in building D at the "end" where it kinda juts out like a "Y".
The first time we were in C, my bad. It connects to Tower D via a little bridge (at least on the 2nd floor).

So I'd say avoid tower D unless you can get into the unit next to 1280 (maybe 1279?), as all rest face that back wall (you'll see at least half is by the area where they like to camp out). I saw a few other TA reviews (after the fact, mind you) mentioning similar issues with noise.

taffy19

Reaction score
Can you show what post it is or the link, please. I tried to post the resort map I had but didn't succeed.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you, Eric B. That is a nice, colorful resort map. We should have asked for one when we checked in or at the hotel lobby or at the Concierge desk.

At our end, we hear more the music from the hotel parties next to the B Building on the open terrace. They stop around 10 PM and when there is a convention, we end up seeing a fantastic fireworks display, if we are in the condo on the balcony.

Never a dull moment here in the evening and we like it but going downtown is just as nice but the beaches are much nicer in Nuevo Vallarta where your resort is or Paradise Village or the Grand Velas. There are a few other resorts in between but they are all-inclusive so we have never been inside to see them. We love the marina area too.

They are building like crazy here (resorts and condos) and I do not know how the roads will be able to handle all that traffic?

The airport was a disaster because it took over two hours to get out of the building. This is going to hurt the tourist industry, IMO.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You’re quite welcome! Airport wasn’t so bad when we got in Saturday. Are you down here now?

taffy19

Reaction score
You’re quite welcome! Airport wasn’t so bad when we got in Saturday. Are you down here now?
No, we just got home last Thursday. Sorry that we missed you and Phyllis too. We have missed her every time. Our week is fixed but we stay more weeks in Nuevo Vallarta.

We both came with a nasty cold that turned into bronchitis the last two weeks so didn't feel too well.