• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Enrolment vs Activation Fees

Holmel

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a little confused to the difference between club enrolment vs activation fees and the difference. I am seeing both quoted separately on listings for the same (affiliate resort).

I am not currently a HGVC member, and looking to purchase my first set of points.

In one listing (for example), the dealer specifies that HGVC will charge a $609 Club Activation Fee that will be billed direct after the sale (plus club dues for the year).

Another listing indicates that if you are not currently an HGVC member, you will be charged a $399 Enrolment fee (plus club dues for the year)

Is the difference that one is currently enrolled for points (activation?, higher amount), the other is not (enrolment?, lower amount)? Or something of this nature?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I would be owing total this year, and am confused as I'm seeing a variety of numbers depending on who is listing (I know there are potential MFs, closing costs, transfer fee on top of this, its just the club activation/enrolment that I'm finding confusing)

Thanks!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If you are buying a mandatory unit (must be part of the club), you will pay the ~$400 transfer fee at closing. You will be billed the ~$600 activation and the $176 club dues in your account, once it’s set up. That’s what I was charged when I bought my Flamingo last fall.

Not sure on a voluntary unit like Bay Club or the SW Florida units.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
For affiliates, it depend on the affiliate if there will be a transfer fee. Some have none. If you choose to enroll a florida affiliate in hgvc, it is not mandatory, you will pay a one time fee of $377. If it is the only hgvc you have you will pay the annual $176 dues. Its a total of $176 whether you have one or ten enrolled

Holmel

Reaction score
I'm not worried about transfer costs, or club dues, I know what those are.

So the larger fee/activation is if it is a mandatory HGVC unit, and the lower fee/enrollment amount is if its optional to join?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm not worried about transfer costs or club dues, I know what those are. So the larger fee/activation is if it is a mandatory HGVC unit, and the lower fee/enrollment amount is if its optional to join?

Activation = enrollment. Those terms are interchangeable.
The activation fee is $377 or 399, depending on where acquired...
Affiliates set their own "change" fee, which at some may be -0-.

index.php

Mr Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC- Lagoon Tower Platinum 2B Premeire
HGVC - Elara Platinum 1B Grand Plus
Activation = enrollment. Those terms are interchangeable.
The activation fee is $377 or 399, depending on where acquired...
Affiliates set their own "change" fee, which at some may be -0-.

index.php

I am in the process of purchasing a Lagoon Tower unit. They are charging me the 409 Ownership change fee as I am buying resale. I will have to pay the 609 activation fee once the deed transfer is complete.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I am in the process of purchasing a Lagoon Tower unit. They are charging me the 409 Ownership change fee as I am buying resale. I will have to pay the 609 activation fee once the deed transfer is complete.
I purchased at Valdoro recently, and the broker pushed them to close before the end of the year (I think it was on the 27th or 28th of December) in order to avoid the fee increases on Jan 1. I had the same fees as you -- $399 for the ownership change fee (that was included in the closing costs) and $599 activation fee which was billed to my account mid-Jan. Closing before Jan 1 saved me $20. I'll take it. :)

Kurt

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Same here (2-bedrm oceanfront), except my deal (that was accepted) was that we split the $409 transfer fee (and the $350 escrow fee). I'm already a member, so no $176 membership fee. But there is the $609 activation fee.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
But there is the $609 activation fee.

I wonder why in 2019 HGV hasn’t included this fee on the list for HGV fees. In past years the resales activation fee was always included. In fact, in 2018 they forgot to include the fee so a revision was made to the list.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I wonder why in 2019 HGV hasn’t included this fee on the list for HGV fees. In past years the resales activation fee was always included. In fact, in 2018 they forgot to include the fee so a revision was made to the list.
I purchased Bay Club last year. But, did not know about the activation fee. In January, I had to call Owner services to get t he form sent to me. I was sent via email the 2018 form. I don't know if it is because I closed in 2018 like PigsDad or they did not update the 2019 fee structure. My broker did not know what the 2019 fees were either.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Ugh, let’s just hope it was simply forgotten again vs plans to increase it even further.

Can we add the latest fee information to the first post in the ROFR sticky thread?
- Estoppel Fee
- Transfer Fee (aka Change Fee)
- Enrollment/Activation Fees

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Can we add the latest fee information to the first post in the ROFR sticky thread?

Good idea. I have added but please double-check to ensure I have added it correctly and it is clear.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Good idea. I have added but please double-check to ensure I have added it correctly and it is clear.

Thanks, looks good :thumbup:

Just thought of two other things after rereading this thread :ponder:

We should mentioned the Annual Club Dues is required by new members since this has come up several times in the past.

And perhaps a NOTE at the bottom based on Talent312’s statement that Affiliates set their own "change" fee, which at some may be -0-.

Last edited: