• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who do you look up to or highly respect?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Who is your personal hero?

I will share mine and why.

My hero is Bill Gates. It’s not because he has a lot of money or set up a major corporation. It’s because of what he is now doing through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Instead of hoarding his bounty, he chose to use his gift to share. His foundation has changed many lives worldwide and continues to have positive impacts. In essence, his wealth will all be used to help make humanity better.

For that, I thank him and his unselfish generosity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My heroine(s) was always Jane Goodall (and Diane Fossey).

I always wished I could have been like them. Going off to Africa to work with and save the gorillas.

I used to love Jacques Cousteau also.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I highly respect someone who works at a job that they don’t have to
because they truly believe in what they are doing
and even though they give what others wouldn’t
they are not appreciated for all their efforts.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My hero is Bill Gates. It’s not because he has a lot of money or set up a major corporation. It’s because of what he is now doing through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Instead of hoarding his bounty, he chose to use his gift to share. His foundation has changed many lives worldwide and continues to have positive impacts. In essence, his wealth will all be used to help make humanity better.
A generous philanthropist in our area recently passed away. His will states that his foundation will close within 10 years. He didn't want the board of directors to make it a self-sustaining operation, with them or an administrator earning money that should be out there helping others. I thought that was wonderful. One article said he believed there was no purpose to foundations existing into perpetuity, because things change in the future and you don't know now what the needs will be then.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My Dad - He was super special in so many ways. He became my Dad when I was 6 years old. My biological father died as the result of an airplane crash (engine failure) when in the Air Force just before I turned 5. Mom remarried and I got a super great Christian father and the best example of God that anyone could ask for. He loved me unconditionally, forgave me when I made wrong choices and asked forgiveness, and would have given his life for me. I tried my best to not disappoint him, but did sometimes, but he never failed to show his love for me. He encouraged me to do my best and I was the first one in the family to graduate from college. My younger brothers said I was his favorite child - which was super special since 2 of them were his biological children. He died just before his 66th birthday 25 years ago of ALS. I still miss him and try to make him proud.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
^^^

You brought me to tears! Lovely wonderful story!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
^^^

You brought me to tears! Lovely wonderful story!

Thank you. I get teary when I talk about him to others as he made such an impact on my life.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a hero, but I think that Elon Musk is very impressive. He is always looking towards the future in his endeavors. He has tremendous foresight and I think at the time of his death he will be considered the
'Father' of many mainstream industries.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My paternal grandmother ... a 17 girl who married in 1919 an only child of a farmer whose extended family also lived in the home built in 1702 with a new addition added onto it in 1859. My grandmother SAVED the family farm from being lost during the Depression era generating money to pay her 'share PLUS' of the household bills plus raising their 5 children. HOW? She found a unwanted niche on the farm and the area by raising turkeys ... a dumb bird who looks up the the sky when it rains and DROWNS from the raindrops.

The house is still in the family ... owned by my 94yo aunt who was her 3rd child (called the last person standing of that generation).

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill Gates?? Gimme a break..

Its easy to be philanthropic once you've made a fortune stealing the ideas and work (essentially all his BASIC products are stolen code) of others.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill Gates?? Gimme a break..
Its easy to be philanthropic once you've made a fortune stealing the ideas and work (essentially all his BASIC products are stolen code) of others.
Why is it easier to be philanthropic if you get rich that way rather than another way (ie inherit, work hard, save, etc.)? His mindset is honorable, as is that of many wealthy people. And even the not-so-rich who give their money away in their wills. You hear about it often.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Me too. And that brought a tear to my eye to see your post. I have been listening to an Audible book by Lee Strobel, read by him, too, and if you want to believe, just read or listen to the book, "The Case for Miracles." I am astounded by the miracles in that book, and it's just a sampling.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Who is your personal hero?
I will share mine and why.
For that, I thank him and his unselfish generosity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hear ya but ^^^^ that is ironic and made me laugh pretty hard. Hero created Microsoft but uses an iPad lol! Not making fun of you, just the irony.

I used to hate my hero. But now I realize how much all the pain he put me through must have hurt him as well. And after 6 years of fighting and me telling him I hated him, it finally clicked how amazing my dad is and now that I'm a father, how difficult those years must have been.

I also get to work alongside of heroes every day as a police officer. The number of lives I have seen saved in many different ways is staggering and very few will ever make the news.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I hear ya but ^^^^ that is ironic and made me laugh pretty hard. Hero created Microsoft but uses an iPad lol! Not making fun of you, just the irony.

I used to hate my hero. But now I realize how much all the pain he put me through must have hurt him as well. And after 6 years of fighting and me telling him I hated him, it finally clicked how amazing my dad is and now that I'm a father, how difficult those years must have been.

I also get to work alongside of heroes every day as a police officer. The number of lives I have seen saved in many different ways is staggering and very few will ever make the news.
Thank you for your service, and your story is really nice to read. Dads sure seem like jerks, but when they are dead and gone, that is when we really appreciate them. I am glad your dad did not die before you came to that realization.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have to say my hero's are all coaches I had in baseball starting with little league. Most of rage coaches I had at that time didn't have kids, worked a middle class job and spent their time and many times money to help build character in boys they hardly knew. In my case I had a coach that would get off work as a carpenter and then pick up several of us that lived cross town about 7 miles from where we practiced. Usually he also took us home because at that time it wasn't unusual for families to have only one car and it was being used by the working parent. In our area at the time most mother's were home holding down the house chores and making dinner,seeing to it we did homework,etc. Back then most kids respected their parents,elders,teachers, and coaches so you were wide open to learn.
Bart

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the teachers/coaches (elementary, band, violin, swim, dance, Sunday school, soccer, volleyball ...) who have work with my kids. My kids are pretty awesome but I think they are pretty neat human beings because of all the wonderful teachers they’ve had.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. My late Dad, whose every living thought and action was based on honor and personal integrity. He never preached, he only practiced. U.S. Marine Corps combat veteran, great father, brother, husband. Director of a state law enforcement agency, who had entered as a "rookie" after returning from WWII and came up through the ranks over decades of widely recognized excellence and dedication. Great sense of humor; people were drawn to him like iron to a magnet. I miss him every day and know in my heart that I'll never personally know or meet another human being of his caliber in my lifetime. What a blessing to realize that the greatest man I'll ever have the honor to know was also my own father.

2. Collectively, all U.S. Navy SEALS; past, present, fallen and future. Smart, tough, brave, highly trained and fearless warriors with unmatched appreciation and application of the concept of "team". We never learn of most of their many dangerous missions, as only the highest profile miracles ever come into public view (e.g., the Maersk Alabama rescue, Osama bin Laden's belated "removal" from the planet, etc.) I don't know where that kind of personal drive, fearless resolve, dedication, bravery and indomitable will comes from to be able to endure the unbelievably harsh and unforgiving training and conditions that they routinely (and completely voluntarily) experience, but God help any of our country's enemies who earn and garner the "undivided attention" of U.S. Navy SEALS.

3. Theodore Roosevelt. A fascinating character and "larger than life" personality. A conservationist and outdoorsman, with the vision to establish our National Park System and National Wildlife Refuges. Soldier, first NYC Police Commissioner, U.S. President. A very impressive "resume", by any possible standard or measure.

P.S. I do not mean in any way to ignore or dismiss the importance or significance of God or religious beliefs. I will merely note that the OP specifically asked about "personal hero" so I chose to confine my input to mere mortals. YMMV.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Warren Buffett -- not because of his money, but how he handles it and himself.
Not saying he is at the top of my list, but my other favorites are no longer living -- Billy Graham and Mother Teresa.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Regarding the highly respected in my life, I'm in the group of guys that choose their wife. After her, it would be me.

After us would be every one. We respect every one as much as possible, even when it doesn't seem deserving. Respect is synonymous with love so respecting every one is showing every one a measure of love.

Bill