• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

‘Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl at Portland airport

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
‘Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl at Portland airport

The mother of a 5-year-old girl mauled in the face by a pit bull at Portland International Airport has filed a $1.1 million lawsuit against the Port of Portland for allegedly letting a dangerous “emotional support animal” into the airport without a carrier.

The lawsuit lists two other defendants: the dog’s owner, Michelle Brannan, and Alaska Airlines. The suit claims Brannan should have known that her dog had “vicious propensities.” The suit says the airline is at fault for allegedly allowing Brannan to bring a dangerous dog into the gate waiting area, where the attack happened, when the dog wasn’t a trained service animal and wasn’t properly confined.

Mirna Gonzalez is suing on behalf of her daughter, Gabriella, who was 5 at the time of the attack on Dec. 18, 2017, and has since turned 7.

According to their Portland attorney, Chad Stavley, Gabriella and her family were waiting at gate C7 to board a flight to Texas for the Christmas holiday. The girl’s mother and older sister went to get coffee nearby as Gabriella and her 13-year-old brother waited at the gate, Stavley said.

With Brannan’s consent, Gabriella began petting the dog, Stavley said. It then bit her -- puncturing her eyelid, severing her tear duct, lacerating her face and tearing her lip, Stavley said. The girl underwent surgery and has visible scars today, he said.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How in the world can Alaska Airlines and the Port of Portland be sued here? Current laws do NOT allow AA and / or the Port of Portland to prohibit emotional support animals so the only party to this suit who is at risk is (and should be) Michelle Brannan and whoever issued the credentials for the emotional support animal.

As much as a dog lover as I am, this whole thing with 'emotional support animals' is bogus and should be stopped immediately.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You say sue anyone for anything, doesn't mean it's valid. In this case, the owner should definitely be liable and maybe it will take examples being made to cut down on this travesty. The airport policy was that her dog should have been in a carrier, and she was fined for it. It's not clear to me if they could have additionally sent her home or not, so, maybe they should have. Possible they are liable.

I don't know if I would have left the 13 year old alone with the 5 year old though. If I were there, I doubt I would allow her to pet a larger dog if that's what this was. But, it's not their fault, not blaming them, just saying.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both should be at fault unless the airport is the only one who has authority on the dog not being in a carrier prior to boarding. Either way the girl should get paid and I doubt the owner has 1.1 lying around. There needs to be a better way to enforce judgements. Maybe dog insurance while traveling at airports?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Alaska and Portland have the deep pockets. I would have called the cops on the owner at the time of the incident.

A Pit Bull as an emotional support animal is an oxymoron.

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must agree with x3 skier, that a Pit Bull is an emotional support animal is an oxymoron.

How did this animal passed the TSA checkpoint? TSA stop me for wearing a back brace in the Fort Lauderdale airport last week. My back brace has metal parts and magnets sown into the back brace. I was cleared by the TSA screener to board the plane.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I'd like to start by saying emotional support animals are out of control in the sense that suddenly every pet hedgehog, giraffe or boa constrictor is now supposed to be unquestionably allowed everywhere that honest people with pets are not allowed by calling them "emotional support". I am absolutely in favor of having seriously strict and enforceable regulations in place, with accredited documentation available for inspection in order to bring animals who are not accredited service animals in any place.

That being said, let's not blame the pit bull. I have known lovely pit bulls who are great with children. People get bitten by Chihuahuas too. It is the owner's responsibility to maintain their dog. If the owner claimed the dog was a service animal, the airline has exceedingly limited ability to contradict the owner.

I would think the people who actually need and use actual service animals would clamor for a change in the law to allow places to see a certification, as now not allowing that makes any idiot with a vicious, untrained animal equal under the law.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
How in the world can Alaska Airlines and the Port of Portland be sued here? Current laws do NOT allow AA and / or the Port of Portland to prohibit emotional support animals so the only party to this suit who is at risk is (and should be) Michelle Brannan and whoever issued the credentials for the emotional support animal.

As much as a dog lover as I am, this whole thing with 'emotional support animals' is bogus and should be stopped immediately.
I'm normally against frivolous lawsuits, but if hitting travel providers in the pocketbooks is what it takes to finally get them to start introducing sanity to the bogus emotional support animal racket, then I'm all for the lawsuits. Maybe this will get the attention of timeshare management companies who are letting all sorts of dogs into units which have no business being there.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I would think the people who actually need and use actual service animals

But this wasn't a service animal it was a pet dog being labelled an 'emotional support animal'. I don't know how all this nonsense statrted, allowing people to bring their pets everywhere with them because they allegedly provide emotional support is ridiculous and sets a dangerous precedent as we have seen in this instance.

True service animals, ones trained and equipped to deal with the various issues their owner suffers with are the only ones that should be allowed to travel and be with their owner at all times. They are animals that have been specifically bred or chosen for their nature and ability and have undergone rigorous training for a number of months before receiving proper accreditation, calling your pet dog an emotional support animal is incomarable.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several cruiselines have stopped allowing "emotional support animal" to board. Royal Caribbean changed the policy for any booking done after July 2018 to disallow emotional support animals. Delta has also banned them from longer flights.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'd like to start by saying emotional support animals are out of control in the sense that suddenly every pet hedgehog, giraffe or boa constrictor is now supposed to be unquestionably allowed everywhere that honest people with pets are not allowed by calling them "emotional support". I am absolutely in favor of having seriously strict and enforceable regulations in place, with accredited documentation available for inspection in order to bring animals who are not accredited service animals in any place.

That being said, let's not blame the pit bull. I have known lovely pit bulls who are great with children. People get bitten by Chihuahuas too. It is the owner's responsibility to maintain their dog. If the owner claimed the dog was a service animal, the airline has exceedingly limited ability to contradict the owner.

I would think the people who actually need and use actual service animals would clamor for a change in the law to allow places to see a certification, as now not allowing that makes any idiot with a vicious, untrained animal equal under the law.
I'm stretching my brain but can't recall the last incident where a chihuahua clamped down on an adult and couldn't be removed, attacked a 2 year old and left him without 75 percent of his scalp and doctors tell his family he will need several more surgical procedures before they ultimately transplant some skin from elsewhere on his body to rebuild his scalp, bit a mailman and could not be removed without multiple people with heavy metal objects severely injuring him (all recent pitbull attacks) but it may have happened.

The chihuahua/bite comparison is an age old false narrative of pit bull defenders. Saying that all dogs bite is like saying that semi trucks that crash into a car is the same as a toddler crashing into a sofa with his walker.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any information that can be found how many Emotional Support Animals pit bulls bites humans compared to other Emotional Support Animals on record?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The service dog dealio is out of control because some people will do anything to get their way.

Bill

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
From the web. It does not indicate % based on number of that particular breed, but rather just number of bites. So if Labrador’s have the largest number of bites, it may be because they are the largest number of dogs in the population.

The five top breeds involved in bite incidents in the study, which aims to challenge breed bans for dogs like Pit Bulls, were Labrador Retrievers (13 percent), Pit Bulls (8.4 percent), German Shepherds (7.8 percent), Rottweilers (3.9 percent) and Chow-Chows (3.5 percent).

Bites involving children brought similar results, with Labrador Retrievers responsible for 15.6 percent, Pit Bulls for 7.5 percent, German Shepherds for 6.8 percent, Smooth-Coated Chihuahuas for 4.2 percent and Rottweilers for 4.1 percent.

The severity of injuries by breed differs greatly, however, with American Bulldogs, Dalmatians, Standard Dachshunds, English Bulldogs and Lhasa Apsos delivering the most severe injuries.

The reasons for attacks also varied by breeds, with Labrador Retrievers most likely to bite when running at large or during possessive aggression. Pit Bulls were most likely to bite while running at large or during dog-on-dog aggression, and German Shepherds bit most often while running at large or protecting their property.

Other breeds, like Golden Retrievers and Border Collies, were more likely to bite while protecting property, play biting or being left unsupervised with the victim. But Smooth-Coated Chihuahuas were by far the most likely to bite during a grooming, kennel or veterinary visit, followed by Australian Shepherds and Siberian Huskies.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks you tombanjo for all that detail information. I have never read about a Labrador Retrievers involved in a attack.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
There are some insurance companies that won’t insure you if you own a pit bull.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The one breed of dog that is responsible for fatally attacking humans at 65% of all such fatalities are pitbulls. Pitbulls have killed a few people in my community. A retired cement finisher who was mauled to death by two pitbulls in his own back yard was one of the victims I actually worked with on a couple of projects years ago .

To me its laughable that anyone would consider a pitbull to be a safe service dog. My last trip to our dog park was the last because some idiot insisted his pitbull was friendly even though it exhibited behavior that it wasn't. This pitbull chewed up an old dog and bit the elderly lady who owned the chewed up dog as she tried to protect her pet.

I don't care for or trust pitbulls. IMO, they are a menace and should be banned.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-multi-year-fatality-report-2005-2017.php

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
The dog in the story was an "emotional support" dog, not a service dog. Service dogs are extensively trained and accredited. Yes, there probably aren't any pit bull service dogs. You can have an emotional support alligator, because I am sure eBay has a little vest to pin on your alligator that says "emotional support"

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
The one breed of dog that is responsible for fatally attacking humans at 65% of all such fatalities are pitbulls. Pitbulls have killed a few people in my community. A retired cement finisher who was mauled to death by two pitbulls in his own back yard was one of the victims I actually worked with on a couple of projects years ago .

To me its laughable that anyone would consider a pitbull to be a safe service dog. My last trip to our dog park was the last because some idiot insisted his pitbull was friendly even though it exhibited behavior that it wasn't. This pitbull chewed up an old dog and bit the elderly lady who owned the chewed up dog as she tried to protect her pet.

I don't care for or trust pitbulls. IMO, they are a menace and should be banned.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-multi-year-fatality-report-2005-2017.php
I'm gonna start off by saying that I'm sorry about your friend/acquaintance getting killed by Pits.
You don't hear about lab bites as much because they ARE the most popular breed in the US if not the world and people don't fear them like Pits.
The Chihuahua comparison is stupid. HOWEVER, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermins, Bulldogs and Mastiffs are all common breeds that have a stronger bite force than Pitbulls. A labrador is rated at 230lbs of force which is minuscule compared to the Pitbulls 235lbs of bite force......

There are thousands of testimonials about Pitbulls being safe in families and I have 3 close friends who all have children with Pitbulls who have never had an incident. ANY dog will bite in the right circumstance, no matter how well trained. I've seen police K9s bite their handlers.

In your story in the dog park, where the F*** was the Pitbulls owner/handler? In my opinion as a police officer who has handled dozens of "vicious dog" and "dog at large" calls, it is ALWAYS the owner/handlers fault in dog bite scenarios. If the dog got loose, it's the owner/handlers responsibility. I say that even when a fellow Officer had to shoot his own dog of 10 years when it attacked his own son to save his son's life. The dog was a shepherd. The incident was not reported in any way as it happened on his own property.

My point is: you cannot blame the breed. Pitbulls are dis proportionally responsible for dog bites and deaths however, in my experience, Pitbulls are dis proportionally found in crap homes with crap owners.

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
If the dog got loose, it's the owner/handlers responsibility...

...My point is: you cannot blame the breed. Pitbulls are dis proportionally responsible for dog bites and deaths however, in my experience, Pitbulls are dis proportionally found in crap homes with crap owners.

It may be the owner’s responsibility but that does not negate the dog’s genetics. Pit bulls were bred to fight and kill. So that’s what they do. The owner may be a contributing factor but the genetics are the causative factor.

My dachshund is very gamy. She had never in her life seen a rabbit. Yet I took her to a field trial and set her down on a rabbit line and guess what? She put her nose down and tracked the rabbit. She had never in her life seen a rat, nor a quarry den. I took her to a den trial and what did she do? She put her nose down, followed the scent line into the den, straight to the quarry. No one taught her to do any of that. She does it for the same reason pit bulls bite- it’s what she is genetically programmed to do.

Obviously not all pit bulls are dangerous, just like not all dachshund are good on rabbit. But that does not mean that pit bulls aren’t more dangerous than other breeds of dogs, which is pretty self evident when you see how overwhelmingly disproportionately they are represented in fatal bite statistics.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
  • Are pit bulls naturally aggressive?
    According to the American Temperament Test Society, pit bulls have a temperament passing rate of 86.7%. This is lower than dogs such as the beagle, Border collie, and Chihuahua. A lack of discipline or training could make any dog, including the pit bull, dangerous, though.
  • What is the number one reason pit bulls bite?
    Just like any other breed, pit bulls that bite do so out of lack of training and socialization. This is more of an owner error than a dangerous dog issue. In fact, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, it is not within a pit bull's inherent characteristics to bite humans.
Pitts are bread to be dangerous. But genetically, testing shows they're no worse tempered than other breeds. Just more lethal. It's like Marines. There's a lot fewer of them, but they kill a lot more terrorists than a standard Army grunt.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
It may be the owner’s responsibility but that does not negate the dog’s genetics. Pit bulls were bred to fight and kill. So that’s what they do. The owner may be a contributing factor but the genetics are the causative factor.

Your profile picture suggests you have or like terriers. Terriers were also bread to fight and kill. That was their sole purpose before people starting keeping them as pets. They kill rodents better than any other breed in the world. Which is why the English bread Pitts with terriers to make them faster and better at fighting.
Does your terrier or should all terriers be banned/put down?

Police dogs are bread to find drugs and BITE PEOPLE but they kill very few people if any. Why? Training and proper handling. Some police dogs are so hardcore and angry natured that if anyone other than their handler gets near them, they'll bite.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Years ago we had a huge lab, the top of his head came to my waist and I'm 5'6". He was 110+ lbs. of solid muscle thanks to us making sure he got plenty of walks, exercise and swimming too when the weather was warm enough. As soon as he was old enough we enrolled ourselves and him in an obedience class taught at the college close to us by someone who made a living showing dogs. Our Sparky was the star pupil of the class. Apparently there are competitions even for dogs without papers showing they are purebred or who have been neutered or spayed because we were approached more than once to enter him. He was wonderful with kids but we were always there when kids were around. There was a family in the next block up the street from us who had two autistic sons. The older, teenage boy was much more severely autistic than his younger brother. Their mother was truly amazing with working with the boys, particularly the older son who I later found out wasn't talking nearly as much as he used to and there was growing concern from his doctor and the therapist and counselor at his school that he might stop talking altogether. When I was outside and they passed during their daily walks the boys loved to stop and throw the tennis balls for Sparky while their mom and I chatted. He would drop the ball, or balls because he could hold two in his mouth, on command and when they threw the ball(s) if told by word or hand command to stay he wouldn't go until they either tapped him on the shoulder or gave him the verbal command to go. The older boy in particular would tell me how much he liked Sparky and so on and always thanked me unprompted by his mother for letting him play with Sparky before they continued on their walk. And I always asked him about the things I knew he did or was interested in too. I had a cousin who was a couple years older than me who had Down's Syndrome so talking to him came easy to me and I never gave it any thought. I had absolutely no idea how big of a deal him talking to me at all let alone that much was until his mother told me when we were both at a women's group meeting at Church. She apologized if they were taking up too much of my time or stopping by too often but the therapist and counselors at his school were encouraging her keep him interacting with our dog and because of that talking to me. Sparky was a therapy dog before that was a thing! Sparky developed quite a reputation for getting kids who had been terrified of dogs over that and we had people we barely knew to nod to asking us to bring him to their houses to meet and interact with their child. He had a 100% cure rate. He was responsible for 4 families that I can still remember over 30 years later getting their own lab. I always felt a little guilty about that because each dog has their own personality and I worried that they would think every lab was like Sparky. Plus not every family can devote the time and effort we put into his training and the exercise we made sure he got throughout the day too. But having a lab who is a little on the heavy side isn't the end of the world and in all 4 families it worked out well for them.

When Sparky was about 6 years old our son was born. Up until then he had been our baby. But he never displayed any jealousy nor gave us any cause for concern. However when our son started crawling we put a gate up into the kitchen where the food and water for both the dog and our cat were. Sparky had been an abandoned dog when we got him at the age of about 5-6 months and many abandoned animals have food issues. Even though he had never displayed any food issues I still wasn't taking any chances even with a dog you would think would be the last dog to ever harm a child. By the time our son was a year old he knew he was not allowed to touch/play in the food and water dishes. Our cat to the best of my knowledge never again drank out of her own little water dish after Sparky joined our family but would go over to the other side of the kitchen to drink out of his big stainless steel water bowl. Seeing her do that just frosted our son to no end because he wasn't allowed to touch it. He would tattle on her every time he saw her do it. We had a large eat in kitchen and could have just moved the dog's big water bowl away from the food bowl to the other side of the kitchen. Not letting our son touch the dog's water bowl was more for our benefit as the few times he got into it there was water all over the kitchen floor and his clothes were completely soaked. Not a good thing when it's below zero out and that part of the kitchen is the coldest area in the house.

I love dogs and Sparky was the most exemplary dog anyone could ever ask for but we still didn't take chances. Children aren't alphas in a dogs world and in a family they will view children as litter mates or younger pack members. Dogs will nip in play or to chastise a litter mate or younger pack member and that can be very dangerous with a big dog and a small child. Any dog can be afraid, tired, hungry, not feeling well, protective, etc. and they don't have words to say that. Little kids are careless about stepping on tender paws and they usually move too fast which dogs don't like when those little kids are up close and in their face. Anyone who's spent time around babies and toddlers has experienced pain holding a squirming little one who mauls you, pulls your hair, sticks their fingers in your eyes etc. Very few kids are taught how to behave around dogs. Even the most tolerant dog can react poorly in certain circumstances. And it can happen in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm stretching my brain but can't recall the last incident where a chihuahua clamped down on an adult and couldn't be removed, attacked a 2 year old and left him without 75 percent of his scalp and doctors tell his family he will need several more surgical procedures before they ultimately transplant some skin from elsewhere on his body to rebuild his scalp, bit a mailman and could not be removed without multiple people with heavy metal objects severely injuring him (all recent pitbull attacks) but it may have happened.

The chihuahua/bite comparison is an age old false narrative of pit bull defenders. Saying that all dogs bite is like saying that semi trucks that crash into a car is the same as a toddler crashing into a sofa with his walker.

This is very true. Certain dog breeds, like the Pit Bull, the Rottweiler, etc, have a different jaw structure. These breeds naturally clamp down and tear (as opposed to biting and releasing). I remember when I attended a dog training class and the trainer (who was world renowned, btw) told us about these differences in the breeds, as well as their intelligence levels and temperaments.

Last edited: