• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2019) Need Help [Legacy Vacation club]

Ed Silver

Reaction score
Hello,

I unfortunately got a Legacy Vacation Club Points timeshare yesterday, after arriving at my room I read more about it and discovered that I didn't acquire something good but a perpetual bill! For my lucky It's on Florida and I saw that I have 10 Days to cancel the contract and get full refund.

Today is Sunday, but tomorrow I will post the letter at USPS, my question is : I did the down payment in cash. anybody knows how should I proceed? I mean how will be this refund? I paid some in cash and some with my debit card.

Should I contact Legacy after sending the letter ? Letter must be written by hand or I can print and sign/date ?

Thank you so much!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello,

I unfortunately got a Legacy Vacation Club Points timeshare yesterday, after arriving at my room I read more about it and discovered that I didn't acquire something good but a perpetual bill! For my lucky It's on Florida and I saw that I have 10 Days to cancel the contract and get full refund.

Today is Sunday, but tomorrow I will post the letter at USPS, my question is : I did the down payment in cash. anybody knows how should I proceed? I mean how will be this refund? I paid some in cash and some with my debit card.

Should I contact Legacy after sending the letter ? Letter must be written by hand or I can print and sign/date ?

Thank you so much!

1) time line is key .Rescinding is a legal right . No explanation is needed . You can hand write or
print & sign .

2) When mailed - make sure you get a receipt & pay for proof of delivery .
Keep copies and suggest you take cell photo of letter & receipt next to it as this also gives you time stamped proof .

3) Contact the credit card company & tell them you have rescinded & charge will have to be credited
when resort processes the rescind .

4) DO NOT contact Legacy . All you will get is sales pressure to keep the deal .
Once rescinded they are legally required to give you full refund (cash deposit included).
They are NOT required to give you any updates during their processing procedure .

5 ) Glad you found TUG / Timeshare have vacation value . You can buy resale for pennies and get full use . TUG also has 2 rental forums - last minute & Marketplace . These are a good way to tryout
places & locations and enjoy larger space than a hotel room when vacationing .

Last edited:

Ed Silver

Reaction score
1) time line is key .Rescinding is a legal right . No explanation is needed . You can hand write or
print & sign .

2) When mailed - make sure you get a receipt & pay for proof of delivery .
Keep copies and suggest you take cell photo of letter & receipt next to it as this also gives you time stamped proof .

3) Contact the credit card company & tell them you have rescinded & charge will have to be credited
when resort processes the rescind .

4) DO NOT contact Legacy . All you will get is sales pressure to keep the deal .
Once rescinded they are legally required to give you full refund (cash deposit included).
They are NOT required to give you any updates during their processing procedure .

5 ) Glad you found TUG / Timeshare have vacation value . You can buy resale for pennies and get full use . TUG also has 2 rental forums - last minute & Marketplace . These are a good way to tryout
places & locations and enjoy larger space than a hotel room when vacationing .

T-Dot-Traveller, thank you so much sir!

You have no idea how happy I'm with your detailed answer!

1 - I will sent both hand write and print & sing, just to make sure.
2 - Can I use any mail company, like fedex, ups or would be better to use USPS.
3 - About the Cash Deposit, should I add my account number on the letter and tell them to deposit on my account or I will have to return to legacy to take cash back?
As they are not required to give me any update how I'm suppose to know about the deposit paid in cash ?

4 - I will definitely try out TUG Marketplace!

Thank you again!!!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
T-Dot-Traveller, thank you so much sir!

You have no idea how happy I'm with your detailed answer!

1 - I will sent both hand write and print & sing, just to make sure.
2 - Can I use any mail company, like fedex, ups or would be better to use USPS.
3 - About the Cash Deposit, should I add my account number on the letter and tell them to deposit on my account or I will have to return to legacy to take cash back?
As they are not required to give me any update how I'm suppose to know about the deposit paid in cash ?

4 - I will definitely try out TUG Marketplace!

Thank you again!!!

1) not necessary - but I would sent multiple copies too / helps you sleep better

2) I believe all can work - USPS is fine / just get dated receipt showing it was done within required time lines.
The take a picture was a recent suggestion by a TUG member / for a hand delivery in Mexico .(slow local mail etc)
since all our devices now "date stamp" photos .

3 ) I assume the written contract lists deposit amount & balance due and your home address etc info .
I would attach a copy & state - please refund $ xx to credit card and send $ xx by cheque to Ed Silver xx address
to refund cash deposit .

4) They are legally required to process a rescind done in the allowable time line .
I have read on TUG that there is no requirement that you are given any "interim update". Your refund to your credit card
will confirm it is done . It is possible it takes 60 days . Stay in touch with the credit card company.

5)DO NOT CONTACT SALES .

6) There is lots of rescind info. on TUG. Others members will likely add anything I have forgotten to list .

7) Visit TUG and learn .
The resort amenities and unit sizes of timeshare can make for better vacations . It is primarily the sales process and initial cost
that give timeshare a bad public image .

8) Renting allows you to test drive . If you eventually decide to buy resale you will know what you are looking for & how to best use .

Ed Silver

Reaction score
T-Dot-Traveller,

Again, thank you so much for your help! today I will be able to sleep again!

I will post here updates, so if someone in future be at same situation as me this can help.

Thanks!

Ed Silver

Reaction score
Letter sent!! Certified w/ return receipt by USPS, I attached inside envelope the receipt with tracking code from fedex for Promotional material too that I already sent and I wrote it on the letter to let them know, also I have attached 3 pages from contract - 1 with my debit card charge made by them, 1 with amount paid in cash and the last one with signatures.

Thanks a lot T-Dot-Traveller, for the amazing help, I will join Tug community to learn more!

Ed Silver

Reaction score
does anybody know if there is any problem if my letter is dated from 02/18 and I sent on 02/19 ?

I made my letter on 02/18, but I only sent on 02/19 as 18 was President day!.

Thanks

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
does anybody know if there is any problem if my letter is dated from 02/18 and I sent on 02/19 ?

No, I don't see an issue with writing/dating the letter on one day and mailing it the next. The important date is the date that you mailed it and that date to be within the legal date to rescind.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> The important date is the date that you mailed it and that date to be within the legal date to rescind.

To split hairs and be even more precise, the important date is the postmark date on a rescission letter.

OP indicates having sent his rescission correspondence by USPS certified mail, which will have produced a date stamped receipt indicating the postmark date; he will be just fine. The unfortunate instances we never learn about is someone "mailing" a rescission letter on the last day or two of eligibility by just tossing it into a mailbox on a Friday afternoon, unmindful of the fact that contents of that mailbox might not be picked up until the following Monday and the critically important postmark date may not be for another day (or two) thereafter. The bottom line in that scenario is too late!

Last edited: