• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonvoy Credit Cards

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone analyzed the limits / exclusions on getting the promo points (I've seen 100k) for the new Bonvoy Credit Cards? I'm assuming if you took advantage of the new Chase and/or SPG AmEx promos, you're probably excluded from any promos for the new Bonvoy, but worth asking, right?

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just logged into my SPG Amex and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my account and get 100,000 points. Of course I said yes. It has $450 annual fee but you get $300 credit for using Marriott hotels. I think it will work fine. I opened the SPG back in Dec 2017 so it is time to upgrade.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently they are adding the feature below to the SPG AmEx Luxury card (for both new signups and existing which get transferred to Marriott Bonvoy AmEx cards). Not sure that I'll get an opportunity to use it, but I will keep an eye out for opportunities. This is on top of the $300 statement credit (which MFs do qualify for as mentioned above).

upload_2019-2-17_8-45-38.png

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I just logged into my SPG Amex and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my account and get 100,000 points. Of course I said yes. It has $450 annual fee but you get $300 credit for using Marriott hotels. I think it will work fine. I opened the SPG back in Dec 2017 so it is time to upgrade.
Just logged in to see what they are offering on my account. Only 15,000 MR points from my end. I think I'll make them work a little harder and hold off for now. 100,000 would be nice.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just logged in to my Amex account, and although mine doesn't say the word "upgrade", but it does offer me the 100K Bonvoy points bonus for the Brilliant Card and says "pre-approved". I just got the 100 MR Points for the SPG Amex (purple card) less than 12 months ago. Hard to believe that they would offer it to me again.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Destination Club Member
Does anyone know if my Amex GoldCard will give me 4x points for payment of MVC annual fees? I get 4x Amex points for hotel stays. I'm wondering if I'll get 4x points for annual Maintenance Fees / Club Dues. I don't have a Chase Marriott/Bonvoy card, and I'm likely unable to get one because I burned Chase in the past. As my credit continues to improve, I'll eventually get an Amex Luxury Bonvoy card. For the next few years, the Amex Gold is my option for points.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Does anyone know if my Amex GoldCard will give me 4x points for payment of MVC annual fees? I get 4x Amex points for hotel stays. I'm wondering if I'll get 4x points for annual Maintenance Fees / Club Dues. I don't have a Chase Marriott/Bonvoy card, and I'm likely unable to get one because I burned Chase in the past. As my credit continues to improve, I'll eventually get an Amex Luxury Bonvoy card. For the next few years, the Amex Gold is my option for points.

Thanks.

Why don't you test it yourself?

Make a partial payment of $50-$100 and see what you get. That way, if you don't get the points you want you know not to use the card for the full maintenance fee payment.

glarscast

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Destination Club Member
Great idea, Controller1. I wish I had thought of that.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused. Just logged in to my Amex account, and my SPG amex card is now Bonvoy Amex card

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I am confused. Just logged in to my Amex account, and my SPG amex card is now Bonvoy Amex card

Why are you confused? SPG went bon voyage for good last week with the introduction of Marriott Bonvoy.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
On mine I had to spend $5000 in three months to get the 100K points.

No chance this year !

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks.
Glarscast, I was wondering how you get 4x MR points on hotel stays? Thanks!

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just logged in to my Amex account, and although mine doesn't say the word "upgrade", but it does offer me the 100K Bonvoy points bonus for the Brilliant Card and says "pre-approved". I just got the 100 MR Points for the SPG Amex (purple card) less than 12 months ago. Hard to believe that they would offer it to me again.

Where you see the upgrade offer? I have the SPG Amex card > 5 year but I don’t see any upgrade offer when I sign in via web or app

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Book your Marriott Hotels before March because there was another huge Marriott devaluation. Here's a complete list:

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/th...423.939364472.1550861716-285777338.1550861716

IMHO many of the properties that would qualify for the 50k free night are now out of reach with this devaluation. Not my definition of "Luxury Card"!

My DH upgraded for the points but we may cancel when the next AF is due because it is not worth $450 to not get a decent free night stay and we can already get extra points for MF with our Sapphire Reserve.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides the 1 night cat6 award ($200-$400) value, you also get $300 hotel credit, tsapre credit, and priority pass lounge access. I'd say this card pays for itself besides getting 6x points on Marriott!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Will 50k work for Cat 6 high season?

TSA and Priority Pass are meh because we already have these benefits with our CSV Card. We get 6x with our other $95 SPG cards and 35k free nights.

So in balance, with $300 credit for MF it becomes a $150/year card. The question then becomes whether the hotel night cost of $150 can be used in peak season for good return or whether we are better off with our other $95 SPG cards. (Which we now sock drawer for the free nights because Bonvoy points are devaluing like a rock).

Of course if they offer to upgrade for 100k+ points similar to my DH I would consider it for a year. However it appears that it is a one way trip then cancel because there is nothing to downgrade to because the SPG consumer card is not available anymore.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I received the 100,000 Pt. Bon Voy Brilliant Card promo offer for 5K purchase in the first 3 months, w/$450 yearly fee.

We seldom stay in hotels, but we could easily use the hotel benefit, if it was included in the card.

We usually convert CC points to airline miles - which I haven't look into with BonVoy yet. Does anyone know, off the top of their head, how BonVoy points covert to airline miles? Probably Alaska, Hawaiian, or Southwest.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I received the 100,000 Pt. Bon Voy Brilliant Card promo offer for 5K purchase in the first 3 months, w/$450 yearly fee.

We seldom stay in hotels, but we could easily use the hotel benefit, if it was included in the card.

We usually convert CC points to airline miles - which I haven't look into with BonVoy yet. Does anyone know, off the top of their head, how BonVoy points covert to airline miles? Probably Alaska, Hawaiian, or Southwest.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/redeem/travel/points-to-miles.mi
most look like 3 bon voy points to 1 airline point.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thank you both for that Info! :thumbup:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just prepaid my Maintenance fees for 2020 to get to $5000 (actually $6k in error).

I assume I get 6x points for all that, and I qualify for the $5K minimum for the extra 100,000 points.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just prepaid my Maintenance fees for 2020 to get to $5000 (actually $6k in error).

I assume I get 6x points for all that, and I qualify for the $5K minimum for the extra 100,000 points.

You should, I did. So, you'll get 36,000 points and 100,000 bonus. I would say, worth it if you had the money.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should, I did. So, you'll get 36,000 points and 100,000 bonus. I would say, worth it if you had the money.

It's a pay me now or pay me later scenario. It will help at the end of the year when I have to shell out maintenance fees for all my Marriott weeks, Destination points, Disney Vacation Club points, and Grandview points. At least it will be less traumatic this year when I get my statements.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more question - can anyone explain exactly how the hotel night benefit works? The Starwood AMEX didn't have this benefit.