• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oahu -- Easier hike with ocean view?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Jack and I are going on a hike tomorrow and I currently plan to do the 0.5 mile hike at Hanauma Bay, which I recall is beautiful and doesn't look that difficult. While we are not hard core hikers, I was looking for something a little more difficult that had elevation changes and hopefully a panoramic view. We've done Diamond Head (which was awesome) and now looking for something on the east side of the island. Any suggestions?

I liked the Koko Crater hike but we don't have pants and it looks like we would get torn up. We have athletic shoes, not hiking boots too, so it can't be too challenging.

Anything come to mind? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
All,

Jack and I are going on a hike tomorrow and I currently plan to do the 0.5 mile hike at Hanauma Bay, which I recall is beautiful and doesn't look that difficult. While we are not hard core hikers, I was looking for something a little more difficult that had elevation changes and hopefully a panoramic view. We've done Diamond Head (which was awesome) and now looking for something on the east side of the island. Any suggestions?

I liked the Koko Crater hike but we don't have pants and it looks like we would get torn up. We have athletic shoes, not hiking boots too, so it can't be too challenging.

Anything come to mind? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Makapu‘u Point Lighthouse Trail has a paved trail. It's not far from Hanauma Bay.

Not on the East side, but you may want to try Puʻu ʻUalakaʻa State Wayside. We haven't been yet, but rumor has it you get a great panoramic view from Diamond Head to the airport.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Totally worthwhile: Look up from Waikiki to the mountains, above Makiki. That's Tantalus (Roundtop Drive.) Check the maps on how to get there, and go to PUʻU ʻUALAKAʻA STATE WAYSIDE. (Google it.) DESCRIPTION: Forested area on a cinder cone close to downtown Honolulu. Lookout provides sweeping view of southern O’ahu from Diamond Head to Pearl Harbor, including Honolulu and Manoa Valley. Picnic shelters available. Start of trailhead for ‘Ualaka’a Loop Trail (a 1-mile loop). http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/hiking/oahu/ualakaa-trail/

You can see all of the city from above. Awesome views, and spectacular sunsets. Completely worth the trouble to get there. Take water and snacks. Leave nothing in your car. It's an amazing place, especially after dark, with the city lit up (but I think it's technically closed then. We [allegedly] climbed the fence.) :)

Dave

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.22.38 PM.png

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It's been years since we went to Puʻu ʻUalakaʻa State Wayside, but the view is fantastic. Both these pictures were taken from the same spot.

18%20Punch%20Bowl%20Crater-L.jpg

17%20Puu%20Ualakaa%20State%20Park%20overlook-L.jpg

taffy19

Reaction score
Greg, how about a hike through the rainforest to the tallest accessible waterfall (Manoa Falls) on Oahu?

We took this tour but you can drive up yourself and pay for the parking fee only. It was a beautiful trail even in the pouring rain but that didn't last long and the sun came out again. It was very slippery so you need walking shoes and a walking stick that they provided to us plus ponchos or we had to buy them. I can't remember now.

I hope that you'll have time for it.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Kaena Point - a hike along the ocean, not much elevation change.

Pu'u Manamana - great ocean views from above, a lot of elevation change, a bit dangerous, for thrill seekers.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Kaena Point - a hike along the ocean, not much elevation change.

Pu'u Manamana - great ocean views from above, a lot of elevation change, a bit dangerous, for thrill seekers.

Yikes! I got nervous just watching the video.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I was thinking Kaena Point as well. It's an easy hike with ocean views the whole time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The photos and video remind me when I got into trouble with my first wife. We were camping at Sunset Bay. Just Southwest of Coos Bay. If you went around the south side of the Bay and did a short hike there were some magnificent up thrust rock formations that were at about 45° and 50 to 100 yards to the top. Going up was not much of a problem. Just had to be careful. Coming down was best done sitting down. My 2 younger kids (elementary and middle school) thought it was pretty great. My high school son was more challenged. My wife was not happy when she heard about our adventure. A short distance north of the Bay was a small Island that had a walkway connection to the land at low tide. A day or so later my 2 younger kids and I hiked around to the north side of the Bay, climbed up the rock piles to the top of the cliff. We walked along the top of the cliff. When we got to the area of the island we went zig zag down the cliff side on a narrow trail. Occasionally the kids sat down and slid on their bottoms. We enjoyed the small Island. Going back up was easier. After dinner (at which my kids told their Mom about the day's adventures) I was really in trouble.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is a beautiful but very easy safe hike

When I was a sophomore in high school, I lived in the Keolu Hills neighborhood of Kailua, which is the area on the other side of this hill. There was a trail to the pillbox from our side, too. Friends and I hiked up there a few times, and thought the view was pretty amazing. I was not a fan of all the broken glass, or the scorpions that were living in the area around the pillbox, though. Rough for a barefoot island kid. I never hiked up from the Lanikai side. Nice to know it's all still accessible.

Dave

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
OMG, I feel dizzy just watch the video. My husband, on the other hand, would die of a heart attack if he is on this trail. He has fear of heights.
Well I am not showing this to my adult kids as they would be all over it and then I would have a heart attack lol

taffy19

Reaction score
Well I am not showing this to my adult kids as they would be all over it and then I would have a heart attack lol
I don't blame you!

What did he have in his hand? It didn't look like a walking stick. Had it to do with controlling the drone?

It is so nice that we can travel through the eyes of young and brave people who share the drone movies on YouTube, I guess.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you!

What did he have in his hand? It didn't look like a walking stick. Had it to do with controlling the drone?

It is so nice that we can travel through the eyes of young and brave people who share the drone movies on YouTube, I guess.
I think he holds a selfie stick for recording.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Thank you for the suggestions, we ended being short on time so we did a very short hike to Spitting Cave, which was beautiful and easy to access. We will be back in June and will hope to try some of these. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg