• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

updating article - Why Timeshares Make sense

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
This was a very small (and old) article that ive merged into the new TUG format, but id really like to "ask the audience" for feedback on what to add.

given the nature of this particular article, id love to add as much or as little as you folks can think up as "benefits" to owning or staying in a Timeshare!

I have no doubt there are many items that could be added to make this a complete and comprehensive guide on "why timeshares make sense".

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/why_timeshares_make_sense.html

(you can also pm or email me at tug@tug2.net with your suggestions or edits if you do not wish to make them publicly here!)

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Great points in the article (and all 100% true from my perspective). I might add:

• Timesharing makes taking time for yourself and your family a priority - you have that week every year so you wind up consistently taking time off and away to recharge
  • There are timeshare options for every budget imaginable - you could start your journey for free on resale with an EOY week somewhere that has relatively low MFs or you could buy Marriott Destination points for a much more expensive example.
Style-wise, it sounds an awful lot like a sales pitch, and there are WAY too many explanation points which eliminate their effect and add to that sales-y feel.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are two that I like.

1. If you use your timeshare every year you make friends that you see once a year and reconnect. It feels much more like a vacation home than a stay in a room where you know no one.

2. Many resorts have perks for owners. If you are in the area you have use of facilities. My resort has a very cheap rental for times that are not being used.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Great Points. Plus:
  1. It's not possible to rent 2 and 3 bedroom hotel rooms during peak season without paying thousands per night. The MF will be recouped after the first night in many cases. Paying with hotel points is astronomical.
  2. Praying for a hotel suite upgrade upon upon check-in is not a good plan for a family during peak season.

These are more appropriate for comparing to AirBnB/VRBO if you do an article on that.
  1. I like the certainty of knowing that we staying at condo resort properties with amenities backed by hotel brand quality so there is not the AirBnB/VRBO moment of panic that the unit hasn't been renovated in years and is not as pictured in the ad, or if our reservation is not legit when we check-in.
  2. Unlike AirBnB if you don't like the unit, you can go to the front desk to request another room. Can't do that with AirBnB - you are stuck with what they give you.
  3. I like having my vacations planned out a year in advance with cancellation up to 30 days in case our plans change. This make for better budgeting for air travel deals and auto rentals which saves money. If airfare becomes too expensive or plans change you can cancel the trip. You cannot cancel rentals and AirBnB without penalties.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I liked this article; especially the statement about sharing quality vacation times with family members and friends (old & new friends ).
I agree with this point. Our week 24 at Cold Spring Resort has pretty much the same people every year. We get to check in, our kids have grown up together....feels like coming home. That week is one that we never ever trade...and the people that we vacation with are a big reason why.

I also like the point about having access to bonus weeks. We are at Attitash this week in a 1 BR sleeps 8 that I reserved over a year ago for less than $450. We basically have two connected studio units...which suits us fine. If you go on Attitash's website to reserve ONE SIDE of this unit, it's over $300 a NIGHT because it's Feb vacation week. I think I got a good deal. :) We usually do Feb vacation week as an Extra Vacation week, sometimes also do an early summer week, too. Plus every long weekend I can find! Those extra vacation weeks serve us well!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great points in the article (and all 100% true from my perspective). I might add:

• Timesharing makes taking time for yourself and your family a priority - you have that week every year so you wind up consistently taking time off and away to recharge
  • There are timeshare options for every budget imaginable - you could start your journey for free on resale with an EOY week somewhere that has relatively low MFs or you could buy Marriott Destination points for a much more expensive example.
Style-wise, it sounds an awful lot like a sales pitch, and there are WAY too many explanation points which eliminate their effect and add to that sales-y feel.

where would you feel these two points would best be inserted? and ive gotten multiple comments on the exclamation points...and thus removed a number of them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated a few suggestions received via pm/email

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
One other point. Owning a timeshare make some working alcoholic make them take vacation.

Yes a thousand times over. I work for Target evenings and weekends...have for over 10 years. They call on a night I'm off...I go. But if I'm away, well...then I can't very well go, now can I? That's been the tradeoff. They know that I will go when they call at the last minute as long as I'm home. And when I ask for time off, they don't argue. Win, win! I often work 70 hours/week between my ed tech "real" job and my Target "fun" job. Timesharing is good for my mental health! :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Removes most of the ownership hassles of a 2nd home.
No hurricanes to worry about, no cleaning up after you leave,
no worrying about fixing or replacing things that break or go
missing from your guests.

Day privileges if you own a local TS like I do on the beach
about 30 minutes from my home. Never pay for parking,
beach chairs, BBQ's, wifi or the pool when I want to
spend the day at the beach year round.

Your family & friends will love you more when they join you for
those vacations. Nothing brings people closer together than
a nice free vacation in a spacious condo timeshare. My family
asks me every year, where are "we" going? LOL.
It has definitely brought our family closer together with lots
of quality bonding time for the grands and grandkids.

Aside from the indoor kitchens, the BBQ's make for great outdoor
kitchens and the ability to mingle with other guests and owners.
Many resorts also do weekly mixers with free food and drinks.

Perks of a TS over hotels are no resort fees for the owners, no
parking fees usually, except for big cities, no wifi fees and free
use of the kids clubs and sports equipment. Some even have
free shuttles to the theme parks so you can park your car and
enjoy someone else doing the driving. Drink all you want, and
not worry, this is your vacation.

I know most would say this is a negative, but I like doing the
updates to get the free money for groceries. Yeah it's a few
hours, but I schedule in the morning and get it out of the way
with a free breakfast.

Owning a hotel timeshare gives you automatic upgraded status
in their hotel loyalty programs.

Some TS's like DVC give their members discounts on merchandise,
theme park tickets and food year round. Also the ability to use
your points for cruises and tours if you aren't able to use them in
the regular clubs.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Timesharing makes taking time for yourself and your family a priority - you have that week every year so you wind up consistently taking time off and away to recharge

This is the ONE truth that TS salespeople tell. Owning timeshare urges families to take vacations. We have taken a 2-3 week vacation every year since we have owned. Prior to that, it was MAYBE one or two weekends a year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can see an article series here with cross-links:

When Timeshares Are Better Than Hotels
When Timeshares Are Better Than AirBnB/VRBO Rentals
When Timeshares Are Better Than Second Homes

"When" in the title makes it more credible than the "Why" given all the bad press about TS. However "Why" is not bad. "When" could even be a follow-on set of articles as to criteria to consider.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Id actually removed a line about no fees, as trends seem to be making that more and more an inaccurate statement.

Ive regularly seen resorts begin to charge fees for items that were previously free... daily activities, parking, etc etc.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
One other point. Owning a timeshare force some working alcoholic to take a needed vacation (time off). LOL.

That's why I bought my first timeshare (the workaholic part, not the alcoholic part, although the swim-up pool bars at some resorts help)!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Removes most of the ownership hassles of a 2nd home.
No hurricanes to worry about, no cleaning up after you leave,
no worrying about fixing or replacing things that break or go
missing from your guests.

Day privileges if you own a local TS like I do on the beach
about 30 minutes from my home. Never pay for parking,
beach chairs, BBQ's, wifi or the pool when I want to
spend the day at the beach year round.

Your family & friends will love you more when they join you for
those vacations. Nothing brings people closer together than
a nice free vacation in a spacious condo timeshare. My family
asks me every year, where are "we" going? LOL.
It has definitely brought our family closer together with lots
of quality bonding time for the grands and grandkids.

Aside from the indoor kitchens, the BBQ's make for great outdoor
kitchens and the ability to mingle with other guests and owners.
Many resorts also do weekly mixers with free food and drinks.

Perks of a TS over hotels are no resort fees for the owners, no
parking fees usually, except for big cities, no wifi fees and free
use of the kids clubs and sports equipment. Some even have
free shuttles to the theme parks so you can park your car and
enjoy someone else doing the driving. Drink all you want, and
not worry, this is your vacation.

I know most would say this is a negative, but I like doing the
updates to get the free money for groceries. Yeah it's a few
hours, but I schedule in the morning and get it out of the way
with a free breakfast.

Owning a hotel timeshare gives you automatic upgraded status
in their hotel loyalty programs.

Some TS's like DVC give their members discounts on merchandise,
theme park tickets and food year round. Also the ability to use
your points for cruises and tours if you aren't able to use them in
the regular clubs.

Smuggs charges us owners and also exchangers for wifi, so not true that free wifi is included at all timeshare resorts. They also charge for kids camps and overall for most activities, including pool usage in some cases and equipment rentals.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I can see an article series here with cross-links:

When Timeshares Are Better Than Hotels
When Timeshares Are Better Than AirBnB/VRBO Rentals
When Timeshares Are Better Than Second Homes

"When" in the title makes it more credible than the "Why" given all the bad press about TS. However "Why" is not bad. "When" could even be a follow-on set of articles as to criteria to consider.

I agree. When actually explains why, imo.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the biggest difference in the world since Larry Hayden wrote the article is the appearance of direct owner/renter platforms such as AirBnB and VRBO. In some ways, if you think about the origins of timeshares, with exchange options, timeshare was an early way of reducing the money taken by the middle man (meaning vacation property management companies). Particularly, the exchange companies were a way for owners and renters to connect at much less cost (i.e., the exchange fee).

What the article should have is a reasonable discussion of the advantages of both systems. Because we have TUGgers who participate in both types of platforms, we might be uniquely positioned to provide advice.

Of course, having said that, I am also ready to volunteer to help provide that content.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ability to trade your week to visit a different destination instead of the week you own.

Totally agree. For us, that has meant seeing the world and so many places we would not have otherwise. Chile, Argentina, various Caribbean islands, Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Thailand, Australia, and so on with many more countries to come. We just got stuck in LAX, reminded me of all the reasons we dislike city life (never mind how long to get there!). Anyway, we simply went over to the airport lounge as a side benefit of II platinum and enjoyed our stay there. For us, it has definitely replaced any need for a vacation home. We consider Palm Desert our second home.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
In my opinion, the biggest difference in the world since Larry Hayden wrote the article is the appearance of direct owner/renter platforms such as AirBnB and VRBO. In some ways, if you think about the origins of timeshares, with exchange options, timeshare was an early way of reducing the money taken by the middle man (meaning vacation property management companies). Particularly, the exchange companies were a way for owners and renters to connect at much less cost (i.e., the exchange fee).

What the article should have is a reasonable discussion of the advantages of both systems. Because we have TUGgers who participate in both types of platforms, we might be uniquely positioned to provide advice.

Of course, having said that, I am also ready to volunteer to help provide that content.

while i dont disagree, id think that would spin the article into a much more in depth type nature...and perhaps would serve better as its own new article (or forum post?)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Id actually removed a line about no fees, as trends seem to be making that more and more an inaccurate statement.

Ive regularly seen resorts begin to charge fees for items that were previously free... daily activities, parking, etc etc.

True, I've seen some complain about that.
I luckily have not encountered that with my own ownerships,
but have had to pay it when exchanging like the $190 I just paid to Disney. :rolleyes:
When I stay using my DVC points everything is comped.

Smuggs charges us owners and also exchangers for wifi, so not true that free wifi is included at all timeshare resorts. They also charge for kids camps and overall for most activities, including pool usage in some cases and equipment rentals.

That's insane that they are charging you to use the pool.
What's so special about that pool? Sheesh.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
while i dont disagree, id think that would spin the article into a much more in depth type nature...and perhaps would serve better as its own new article (or forum post?)
Fair point.

What I would do is harvest relevant AirBnB/VRBO comments in existing threads into a new thread dedicated to capturing input and comment on timeshare vs internet direct owner-to-renter portals. Then ask for added input. Synthesize comments into a draft article, and post for review. After review and revision, add to TUG Help and provide a sticky in the Forums.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
True, I've seen some complain about that.
I luckily have not encountered that with my own ownerships,
but have had to pay it when exchanging like the $190 I just paid to Disney. :rolleyes:
When I stay using my DVC points everything is comped.

That's insane that they are charging you to use the pool.
What's so special about that pool? Sheesh.

At Smuggs, there are like 10 pools throughout the resort. If you own in a building/community with a pool, you can use it as it is part of the HOA. We do, so we are ok.

BUT- if you want to use any of the several "public" pools- the ones with water slides and hot tubs and so on- you have to have paid benefits (10 or 20 years- ours expires after this year), which also include other activities, like kids camps if you desire, or you have to purchase a pass for the week.

A big issue has been people who purchased in buildings without pools were told when they bought that they could use one of the pools in the village as "their" pool- the Courtside pool and hot tubs with a little kiddie slide. Now they find out that is not true and they are not happy.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fair point.

What I would do is harvest relevant AirBnB/VRBO comments in existing threads into a new thread dedicated to capturing input and comment on timeshare vs internet direct owner-to-renter portals. Then ask for added input. Synthesize comments into a draft article, and post for review. After review and revision, add to TUG Help and provide a sticky in the Forums.

i think that would be just fine! let me know if you need anything edited or modified and ill take care of it.