• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much have you spent on timeshare trips ?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
All in since we began time-sharing, I think we have used about 60 weeks. It makes me wonder how much I spent on trips. If the average trip cost $2500, then we are up to about $150,000, which seems unbelievable, but also very likely. Time-sharing has become an obsession somewhere along the line.

I know the most recent trips are way over $2500 because I recently purchased airfare for future trips. Other trips were a bit more pricey because of Disney, scuba, fishing, golf and AI.

This doesn't include the purchase price of the timeshare. Just the mf, travel costs, entertainment and food/beverage.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
All in since we began time-sharing, I think we have used about 60 weeks. It makes me wonder how much I spent on trips. If the average trip cost $2500, then we are up to about $150,000, which seems unbelievable, but also very likely. Time-sharing has become an obsession somewhere along the line.

I know the most recent trips are way over $2500 because I recently purchased airfare for future trips. Other trips were a bit more pricey because of Disney, scuba, fishing, golf and AI.

This doesn't include the purchase price of the timeshare. Just the mf, travel costs, entertainment and food/beverage.

Bill
Oh my, its our vice, in a good way. I don’t want to add it up. As long as we can afford them and enjoy them, it’s is the luxury we choose. Others drink, gamble, shop, etc.

In addition to how much have you spent on timeshare trips, how about how much have you saved traveling with timeshare versus hotel rooms. For me the number would be much higher on savings versus what I spent.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh my, how much have we saved ? Uncountable imo. The resorts we stay in rent units between $150 - $600 a night. The savings regarding meals because of the kitchens adds up. I agree 100% that time-shares are our vice too. In the past I never really added things up but now that I retired I like to keep track. We are spending about $5000 on mf this year and I think we will be using all of our weeks.

Bill

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I always hate thinking about it. We’re spending $7,000 for openers, just on MF’s. Then another $700 to $900 on air fare plus $600 every time we have to board the dogs. Probably another $600 to $1,000 once we arrive at our destination. Of course MF’s haven’t always been this high and, in the past there were exchange fees as well (now we stick in network or home resort for our stays). Over 20 years, I could see $150,000 to $200,000 easily, and that’s without adding in our buy in costs.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
It varies. We figure that our units average about $80-140 depending where and when we go. We very seldom eat out and save by preparing our own meals at the unit. The cost of driving to and from our vacations depend on where we go; a four hour drive or a 14 hour drive. Sometimes we spend a night in a hotel ranging from 75-13O a night plus a meal. Expenses add up for attractions such as Dixie Stampede, Dollywood, shows and similar attractions. We seldom do those activities. We are very cautious on what we spend. We will not go in debt for our vacations. We have never worried about the cost of our vacations because the memories we make for ourselves, friends and family are priceless.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is a hard one if I try to go back over the 20 years of ownership of one of ours, which is a 2 week ownership that we bought from the developer ($32,000). The maintenance fees started out at $400 per week and are now over $980. It is a 6 hour drive from our home. We like to take the ferry across the lake and that costs us I think $20 or something like that.

We did exchange one of the weeks for quite a number of years, but that was back when RCI exchange and membership fees were inexpensive and before the start of the TPU system. We have not belonged to RCI for many years- since they went to that TPU system. Now we rarely if ever exchange and use the independent exchange companies like Trading Places if we do.

We did do some airfare exchange trips- but not a lot. Twice to Florida and once to Hawaii (2 islands/2 weeks with a few nights rental in between). Also St. Lucia- but that was my parent's timeshare that was used to exhcange so we did not pay the maintenance fee or exchange fee as it was a gift to us from them- just the airfare and meals and other expenses. The other exchange trips we took were within driving distance to our home- no more than 8 hours. I never worried about the gas expense because we were both commuters so to me we would have used just as much gas for the week anyway. So that didn't count.

In fact, I do not even count food expenses since if we were home we would have to eat anyway. I never used to but I do now count dinners out as an added expense since eating out has become much more expensive.

Our other week that we acquired for free- the maintenance fee is $811. Again, within driving distance of our home and our other timeshare as well.

This all said- we eat most meals in and try to do mostly free activities. We might take in a movie and a live local theater production ($25 per ticket) when we are away. We usually rent bikes just for a couple of hours for just one time. Some years we spend more than others. but it is not a lot. Our credit card cash back money is our designated spending money for our timeshare vacations and that is usually around $900 annually.

Now- every couple of years or so, we will take a non timeshare trip- like a Home Away rental- usually again within driving distance of our home and in the states where our timeshares are located. They run around $1200-$1400 for a full 8 day/7 night week. Our spending is the same as when we are in our timeshares.

Or-we might do an airfare trip from NY and rent a timeshare from another owner or rent directly from a resort. Renting from another owner might cost around $1500, or through the resort $2000.

These trips cost a lot overall. The airfare, the lodging, the rental car, the car service to and from the airport from our home. Maybe extra hotel nights by the airport for arrival and departure. More convenience type foods to heat up in the condo. Crappy food at the airport. (was nice when the airlines used to feed you). Spending money, etc. We usually go to natural areas- National Parks- and my husband has the senior pass he got for $10 a few years ago before the price went up.

In June 2017 when we went to Rocky Mountain National Park- we rented directly from Rams Horn Resort- I think the whole trip cost us around $4000 for 2 people for 8 days/7 nights.(airfare alone was $800). We only ate out one dinner at the Lazy B Western show and a lunch in Boulder. Grabbed sandwiches at the airport for the flight home. I am assuming it will be the same or even a bit more actually for our trip to Springdale, Utah this Sept., where we are renting at Cable Mountain Lodge for 7 days/6 nights, plus two overnight hotel rentals at the Las Vegas airport- meaning we will have to have meals out for those 2 days/nights as well.

At our home resorts- with maintenance fees included- we probably spend around $1200-$1300 for a week (8 days/7nights) for each of our 3 weeks.

PS And- oh- right. We used to own dogs- mostly 2 at a time- and it cost us a fortune to board them or get a pet sitter over the years. Now we have not owned any pets since 2011, so no expense there any more- and no worries about leaving them.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
<<SNIPPED>>Just the mf, travel costs, entertainment and food/beverage.

And let's not forget membership & exchange fees with RCI, etc.

I would have to guess we spend close to nothing on some trips that are tied to my work (typically 1 every-other-year).

For true vacations using our timeshare ownership, I'd have to guess it would be about $1,000/week . . . but we often fly at a nearly free cost due to FF miles, etc. For budgeting I typically use $150/day as an estimate. Our recent trip to Scotland via timeshare exchanges for two weeks was about that.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always vacationed differently than most people. When our two boys were around we loved to go mountain biking. As they aged it was great to have teens excited to vacation with mom and dad. When they left we found time sharing. Bad timing I know. Now we own two mountain biking weeks that my wife and I enjoy thoroughly. One is in WV where our maintenance fees are still under 500 for a two bedroom townhouse. We also own in vt where the MF are a little over 500 for a 1 bd. We have 15 yrs in vt and 11 in wv. Our total cost was less than 100 buy in. We have always cooked at the unit and usually are too tired to head out. We usually plan to eat out twice and rarely make that even. We drive to our two vacations and usually spend way less than 200 all in other than food. I hate to add in food costs as we would eat at home and usually take frozen meats to cover our meals so there is little to no added cost. Also our resorts have had a plan in the past that they would deposit other unused weeks in rci or dae for as little as 200. I will ignore that savings for a few weeks also. Now how I ad my VT beer costs to is a quandry. I will ignore that. I would say that other than beer and grocery store food we have 26 vacations for around 19K. Our vacation style is out of the ordinary I know.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
My MF's and club fees are about $5K a year.
Been at this for about 15 years.
My purchase prices are around $35K for all my 8 TS's.
I've averaged out my ongoing costs to be around $100
a night the way I use my ownerships.

I do about 10-12 vacations a year.
That's $700 a week X 10-12 a year. $7K-$8.4K
So I can see how I might approach $150K of lifetime use so far.
IMO it's been money well spent.
My family thinks so too! LOL. ;)

I thought long and hard about owning a vacation home
but I just didn't want the hassle and I am still ahead
financially I believe than if I owned that 2nd home.
Yeah it might have appreciated in that time, but I
might also have had a stroke dealing with the hassles
and hurricanes. I could resell a few of my TS's for the
same money I paid for them so could reduce my costs about
$25K for those, mainly my DVC points. The rest will
probably have to give away. I do rent some of my
ownerships so that helps subsidize my addiction.
Rented $4K last year so vacations were almost free. :banana:
Love TUG. :thumbup:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I forgot all about some of the expenses you people remembered. The dog sitter for us is usually free but on a few trips it was about $21 a day. The memberships to RCI and II is another item I forget until it expires.

I sometimes think that the purchasing of our vacation home wasn't the best idea. I didn't think I was going to have any health issues but I did. Even though I am past these issues these issues left me not liking winter and unable to do some of the work required to actually own it. I kind of bought it to have something to do in retirement. The kids and grandkids love the place so they have basically took over the workload. I don't think I would have bought it if I had a crystal ball.

I'm thinking that the future time share expense is going to be much higher. When my rtu's in Mexico expire our cost to trade to resorts we like in the winter months will be much higher. I have some old contracts with lower mf and no special assessments regarding Mexico timeshares. The others are points. By 2029 it will be just a few Worldmark's for us. My Mexico rtu's start expiring in 2023. My VI expires in 2022. I sold my last Eagle Crest, actually, I ended up paying the mf and closing cost so I think that qualifies as paying someone to take it.

Bill

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
And let's not forget membership & exchange fees with RCI, etc.

Definitely gotta factor that in.
I pay RCI points and II membership plus I get a few free RCI weeks accounts
and corporate accounts thrown in there.

The exchange fees, combine fees, e-plus fees and insurance definitely add up.
I spend about $2K a year just on those fees.
And the clubs like HGVC also keep increasing fees and BG fees for HK have gone
up since I bought from $25 to $50 to $95 and now $135.
Ridiculously abusive but they have us by the neck.

With all those extra fees I am definitely MUCH pickier in what I will accept for
an exchange. I am much more inclined to only accept top tier resorts at this point.
DVC, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, Wyndham and BG pretty much make up almost
all my exchanges now. In the past I'd take pretty much anything but not anymore.
If I am going to pay thru the nose I will definitely force value for myself.

When I check the corporate hotel websites, most of my exchanges would have cost
the public in excess of $250 to $650 a night for the same stuff I am getting for $100.
I know those are rack rates but it makes me feel better about all the money I am
spending. LOL o_O:p

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I refuse to add up the cost of our vacations. I am afraid if I knew the actual cost I might think twice about going.
We are going to the French Polynesia this summer so far the tab is up to 10k. It definitely has effected my excitement over the trip.
Sometimes I am to frugal for my own good. I figure as long as I am not incurring debt over our trips I am better off not doing the math:(

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
I agree with not doing the math. It is a vacation and you should enjoy yourself and not worry about how much it costs.

I bought my first one from a developer as many others but I learned how to use it and have exchanged into many great weeks that we never would have went on if it wasn’t for exchanging our week.

We bought the first one in Atlantic City where we were going every year. Figured we would use our week that way but as it turned out I haven’t been to Atlantic City since. That was 2013. Lol.

This year I traded for a week in Maui where we happen to own a week as well thanks to a generous tigger. That means we are in Maui for 2 weeks in a ocean view unit.

As for cost of the 2 weeks maintenance fees are about 2200.00 for both weeks.

Where can you stay for that anywhere else in Hawaii for 2weeks with a ocean view.

I also have week on the big island that we have added on so we will be there 3 weeks in a row. I can’t wait.

I like to enjoy myself and that’s worth any costs to me.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have taken some trips rather far away. I have been to Australia (twice), Maldives, Thailand, French Polynesia, Greece, Canary Islands, UK. Almost all of these trips I have flown using FF Miles and flying business class.

I have been Hawaii 8 times. Variety of FF and $$. The cheapest had to be my last trip which I paid $125 one way. It was at the height of the eruption on BI, but that is why I went in the first place.

I have taken a lot of local Caribbean trips too, as I have been to BVI (7 times), Bahamas (4 times), St Martin (4 times), Turks and Ciaos (3 times), USVI (2 times), St Lucia (2 times), Antigua (2 times), Guadeloupe (2 times), St Vincent & the Grenadines (2 times), Tobago, Grenada, Barbados, Puerto Rico.

Luckily I have used FF Miles or Chase UR points for a vast majority of these flights. Airfare alone it would have been a fortune. I have done 27 Tradewinds trips, so there is a bunch of costs there as well.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I kept track of our 10 day vacation in Maui last month, seven nights in a studio at WKORN and two night in a one BR at Worldmark Kehei. Factoring in MF's of the trader I used, (unit was free through another Tugger) II yearly fee, exchange fee, EPlus (was not able to use), WM lodging costs, car rental, airfare (used Alaska companion fare), airfare upgrades and taxes cost $2231.02.

Groceries, alcohol, dining out, (we did not do a lot of eating out) gas and other incidentals like whale watching trip, snorkel gear and chair rentals, a pedicure and admission for two to Maui Aquarium cost $997.64. So our total cost was about $3228.66 for 10 days on Maui, or about $322.86 per day for two people, all in. Considering the rack rate at WKORN for the same room alone, same time for seven days was $3,052.00, I am OK with that.

I did not keep track of non-food related cash tips, such as bellman, valets, musicians, tour guides, which I estimate to be about $100.00. I also did not factor in cost of pet sitter. ($200.00) That would bring the vacation cost up to $3531.02, or about $353.00 per day for two, all in.

A driving vacation using our own car is a different ball of wax entirely. With MF's from my lowest cost trader, and all II expenses, that cost goes down to $749.00 for the week, or about $107.00 a night, not including taxes. With my highest cost trader, that cost goes up to $1,100 for the week, or $157.00 a night, not including taxes. My Worldmark is a little harder to figure, since they have different levels of points (costs) for different properties and seasons. This is not including any incidentals, groceries, gas, dining out, admissions etc.

It is easy to forget the extra hidden costs, like pet sitting, all trading costs, tips and taxes. Timesharing is still reasonable for us, but there is no "free lunch"!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I plan our trips 10 - 13 months out for the most part paying for expenses like mf, airfare, car rental and entertainment at different times. I really haven't added up an entire trip yet. I can see these trips do cost more than I thought after reading the above posts.

This year we tried something new on how we travel. We drove close to 3000 miles on our last trip to Palm Springs, Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. It was too cold in all destinations. I'm not convinced I like driving that far. It was pretty cool to see the sights though. Next trip is another long drive to Sedona which will include either WM St George or stays at hotels in Page and Springdale. I think this spring trip will be warm enough.

Some trips require toys like a boat or jeep. I have a fishing trip planed for Lake Chelan. This is a drive to trip. The other cost for this trip involve boat and fishing gear. Oh, and the casino and wineries. :thumbup:

Bill

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I really want to know how much I've spent. Over 27 years of TSing, I figure we've gotten a fair return for our dollar...not a bargain, but a fair shake. Now with all the competiting options available including Air BnB, we can vacation cheaper and in urban centers, as opposed to the beach and mountain holidays we preferred in our earlier TSing years. Would I do it again....not a chance! But I do enjoy the chat here!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We vacation as cost effective as possible.
TSs for hotels
Points for flights
Cook breakfast and dinner out (light lunch on the road)
Groupon for activities

But, in the end...there is always money spent that I would not have spent if I were home.

I like to think of it this way. The amount we spend on 5-6 trips a year is about the same as the average family spends on 1 or 2.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I don't really think about the cost of flights and car rentals. I do notice that we don't go out for expensive meals at swanky restaurants at home any more, we save those for when we're traveling. And I also spend far more money on clothes and jewelry while we're traveling. Shopping is part of our (well, my) travel entertainment. Having to go to the mall for something at home is a chore.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't really think about the cost of flights and car rentals. I do notice that we don't go out for expensive meals at swanky restaurants at home any more, we save those for when we're traveling. And I also spend far more money on clothes and jewelry while we're traveling. Shopping is part of our (well, my) travel entertainment. Having to go to the mall for something at home is a chore.

Similar. We have no social life at all at home. We don’t even go to a movie or eat out ever.

So on vacation, that is our time to treat ourselves just a little here and there. Makes it special. Not into clothes or jewelry, though. But I might pick up a photographic calendar or a book or maybe a t shirt, or some type of food item.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not NEARLY enough!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We tend to be penny pinchers on some things, so that we can spend more on the things that matter to us. For instance, right now, we're at Attitash Mountain Village for Feb break. I got a great deal on our unit...a 1 BR for less than $500/week. (Which ended up being two studios...even better since I'm traveling with 3 teens...they have their own kitchen!) This resort is only about 100 miles from home, so we're still on our first tank of gas, and we only have one more day to go. We ate one breakfast out, but that was it for meals out. The others have all been cooked here. BUT, the girls went skiing today...which was around $200 for the both of them. We did an escape room yesterday, which was another $100. All of our other activities have been things like swimming in the pool, reading our books, doing a puzzle, sleeping late...simple things that suit us.

Most of our vacations tend to be planned out this same way. Massanutten last summer was an exception...it was a splurge due to the twins' 8th grade graduation. And even that trip wasn't horrible when compared to some of the places our friends go, though it isn't one we'd do every year.

We do buy the Smuggs passes when we go there in the summer, because that tends to be "the end" when it comes to our spending. We don't do a ton "off resort" in the summer time. My teenagers despise car rides, and love to just be able to settle in and enjoy themselves at Smugglers' Notch.

When talking to my 88 yr old father on the phone today, he said, "Your kids will remember these vacations forever." And I'll still have money left over for good VT cheese and fudge to boot! ;) I can't take it (money) with me, so I choose to spend it on making memories with my family!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I always hate thinking about it. We’re spending $7,000 for openers, just on MF’s. Then another $700 to $900 on air fare plus $600 every time we have to board the dogs. Probably another $600 to $1,000 once we arrive at our destination. Of course MF’s haven’t always been this high and, in the past there were exchange fees as well (now we stick in network or home resort for our stays). Over 20 years, I could see $150,000 to $200,000 easily, and that’s without adding in our buy in costs.

I know this pain well - X2!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Bill

I'd like to suggest that Bill's question could be slightly modified to read thusly: "How much money would you have spent if you took the same vacations AND you did NOT have TS?"

or

Could you honestly say you would have taken the same vacations WITHOUT TS that you did WITH TS?

The answers to both of those questions (phrased in those terms) make me feel better from the financial standpoint.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When talking to my 88 yr old father on the phone today, he said, "Your kids will remember these vacations forever." And I'll still have money left over for good VT cheese and fudge to boot! ;) I can't take it (money) with me, so I choose to spend it on making memories with my family!

I like the way your dad thinks. I'm on the same page with his idea. We recently had my youngest son's birthday dinner with other family members. He just turned 30. The conversation started going to the remember this and this and this, mixed in with alot of laughter. Many of the memories are of timeshare vacations or other trips that included family reunions and camping trips.

Could you honestly say you would have taken the same vacations WITHOUT TS that you did WITH TS?

You are absolutly right. Even though we were always going places before we had our timeshares the places before timeshares were closer to home. The timeshares provided a great place to stay while visiting far away destinations like Disney World, Hawaii and Mexico.

Not NEARLY enough!

Geez Jim, while you might have cut back on the timeshares I know you aren't skimping on the travel or travel goodies. I think one of the best bits of advice you gave me was regarding Mayaland where our room overlooked the Mayan observatory ruins. Or it could be the Mazatlan Torres info. Its a toss up between those two.

Bill