• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Package Certificate- Extensions?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any news as to whether Marriott is allowing for extensions on the expiration date?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are asking about post merger certs, Policy I have been told half a dozen times now by Marriott is no extensions, no more upgrades.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not converted my old certificates to the new category yet. Do I get 1 year starting from when I call them for the conversion? I would like to upgrade them at the same time....

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have not converted my old certificates to the new category yet. Do I get 1 year starting from when I call them for the conversion? I would like to upgrade them at the same time....

Mine were indeed extended by a year from the date i called to convert them.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I converted an old 5 night TP cat 1-5 certificate today and received a new category 4 cert with an extension of one year. I asked about upgrading to a higher category and was told no.

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I converted an old 5 night TP cat 1-5 certificate today and received a new category 4 cert with an extension of one year. I asked about upgrading to a higher category and was told no.

That’s interesting. I thought I read on FT that they would allow you to upgrade when converting the old certificates. That would be very disappointing especially given some of the good value in cat 4 hotels that will soon be cat 5.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are asking about post merger certs, Policy I have been told half a dozen times now by Marriott is no extensions, no more upgrades.

Yes I was asking about the post merger certificates. In light of the above, I will wait as long as possible to convert the "old" certificates to the "new" certificates reflecting the new categories as long as possible

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Basically no more flexibility anymore, with crappy customer service and a horrible IVR system to boot.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Today I converted four old 5 day travel certificates, (1 from my account, 3 from my husband's) upgraded one, all were extended for one year and was told when we decide where we'll be using the others, to call back and they could be upgraded. Also had 30,000 points refunded from my old category 8 cert. This may be because I had a case number from last summer when I had requested (by email) the refund, but that was not stated. Also, the gentleman was extremely helpful, so much that I asked if I could call him back to upgrade the others, but he said anyone at the Marriott rewards number could do that. I had been dreading calling as it is not always so easily, efficiently and pleasantly accomplished. Fortunately I had printed Steven Ting's posting of the conversion chart, and knew from TUG that I should receive a points refund for the Category 8. Now we just have to decide if any of our possible destinations are on the Category change upgrade list by March 5, so we can book before the 5th. Thanks, Tuggers!
Ann

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will succeed in upgrading the newly converted travel certs. It's a one time upgrade when converting from old to new. If you are convinced you can, please send me a provate message with his name and extension. I have now talked to 7 different people, all agree, no upgrades for the new certs. I have one post merger to upgrade, so, I will post back the results of you can send me the contact info.

I believe you will find that he was mis-informed.

Last edited:

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
It seemed too easy, that's why I asked him if I could call back directly to him to upgrade the categories of the new certificates I did not upgrade yesterday. There was only one expiring soon, so I could have waited on the others. He did not give me contact info, but said any Marriott rewards rep could do that. So if he was misinformed, I am either stuck with a couple of new Cat. 4 I could always use somewhere, but would rather have upgraded to a higher category when we know where we'll go. They are the "extras" I added as old Cat 5 back in July, when travel package elimination rumors were flying, so could easily have waited. I'll call back today, and let you know what they say, though it would be a miracle if I got the same person. They can look at the notes and see which person said that and check with him. Don't want to get him in trouble, as he was so helpful, but had really planned to upgrade as the lower categories are much more affordable with $ or MR points than the highest categories. Am considering using one Cat.4 at the Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View, which will go to Cat. 5 on March 5. Have not yet worked out the details so will book a guesstimate and try to work around it. Does anyone know if you can change the dates after booking and not then be charged the higher category points? Think I did that with both Mauna Kea Resort and Renaissance Tuscany, a while ago and no problem.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seemed too easy, that's why I asked him if I could call back directly to him to upgrade the categories of the new certificates I did not upgrade yesterday. There was only one expiring soon, so I could have waited on the others. He did not give me contact info, but said any Marriott rewards rep could do that. So if he was misinformed, I am either stuck with a couple of new Cat. 4 I could always use somewhere, but would rather have upgraded to a higher category when we know where we'll go. They are the "extras" I added as old Cat 5 back in July, when travel package elimination rumors were flying, so could easily have waited. I'll call back today, and let you know what they say, though it would be a miracle if I got the same person. They can look at the notes and see which person said that and check with him. Don't want to get him in trouble, as he was so helpful, but had really planned to upgrade as the lower categories are much more affordable with $ or MR points than the highest categories. Am considering using one Cat.4 at the Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View, which will go to Cat. 5 on March 5. Have not yet worked out the details so will book a guesstimate and try to work around it. Does anyone know if you can change the dates after booking and not then be charged the higher category points? Think I did that with both Mauna Kea Resort and Renaissance Tuscany, a while ago and no problem.
The Renaissance Hong Kong Harbor View is already showing as a category five. Reading TPG, it looks like only five properties were changing on March 5 and that was not one of them?
I believe changing the dates requires a cancel and rebook, so I suspect the new category will then be enforced.

As for us trying to convert a to a recent travel package, probably the last one we may ever do, it was a very frustrating experience. From multiple phone calls, us hanging up after quickly losing confidence in their abilities when we heard "uh", we finally got it done today. Probably about 3 hours total on the phone fighting the IVR, waiting on hold, arguing and then finally over a half hour for someone to get it done.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an old catagory 9 certificate which changed to a new category 6. I wanted to upgrade it to a new category 7. I was told by 4 different representatives that they could not be upgraded. I’d like the name and number of the representative that upgraded some.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an old catagory 9 certificate which changed to a new category 6. I wanted to upgrade it to a new category 7. I was told by 4 different representatives that they could not be upgraded. I’d like the name and number of the representative that upgraded some.
Did you try to do it on 2 different calls or as one? I am thinking of asking them to upgrade my certificate at the same time when I convert from old to new.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you try to do it on 2 different calls or as one? I am thinking of asking them to upgrade my certificate at the same time when I convert from old to new.

I had success doing it that way, one call.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Both. I tried when they converted it and then 3 times afterwards

Similar experience for me. I was told its not possible a few times. I got tired of fighting, and just accepted the conversion of my old cat 5 certificate to a new Cat 4. I won't be able to use it at the hotel i planned, but it should still work out for us.

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am replying to several questions at once. Hope this helps. Here is the link I used for the upcoming category changes 3/5/19.

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e2/marri...date_Members_Site_EN_2.7.pdf?program=marriott.

It was in a 2/9/19 email from Marriott, titled "Get ready now: Your Bonvoy Checklist", but in the original link,"Explore All Categories", it only listed a few, and you have to click on the "more" link, after the initial list to get the changes. Think there are about 17 pages of changes. It looks like the Hong Kong Harbor view will be going to Cat 6, and the other I looked at is the Renaissance Bali Uwatu Resort (just above Harbor View, actually the one is going to Cat. 5) We are trying to come up with an Asian component in planning to visit our son in New Zealand. I love Hong Kong and Bali, my husband has never visited either, or Australia So we are looking at everything, since the distances are soooo far in that part of the world, it is a daunting task, trying to come up with an itinerary, use travel packages, possible cruises, flights and try book sooner than we had planned. We are just in the beginning stages, but would like to book some before 3/5 for any hotels that will upgrade. Not being able to upgrade the Cat. 4 certificates, would be unfortunate, but not a trip killer.

With all the old Cat 5 certificates upgraded at once, (three were not due to expire until 7/31/19, and would rather have waited on those) and being told I could upgrade the categories anytime just by calling back, that sounds pretty iffy now, even if I could get the same rep. (he did not give me contact info when I asked if I could call him back directly. I do, however, have his first name, but don't want to get him in trouble so will not post unless I can get him again to give OK)

We have burned through almost all of our available points. It cost 90,000 points to upgrade from new Category 5 to Category 6, which is the only one I upgraded since he told me more than once that I could up grade the others later. So waiting to upgrade the certificates until closer to the expiration date would have been wiser, and we would have had the points to upgrade the categories by then. However, if they would not up grade the hotel category next July, (unless able to reconnect with the one rep that did it!) it would have made not any difference. Not the best public relations! Also, hate the new "Bonvoy" name.

Will report back after my next call. Not looking forward to that...but I'll do it!

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Lots of recent reports of upgrading with points. No confirmations of a New Cat 6 to New Cat 7 upgrade.
I personally upgraded a 5 night Old Cat 8 from New Cat 5 to New Cat 6 for 30k. Should have maybe been a wash but I wasn't arguing.
The key is to upgrade at the time are you converting from the Old code to the new code. Then you will have a 1 year extension automatically when you convert to the new code and new cat.
Glad I upgraded to the Cat 6, the Westin Grand Cayman is moving up to a a Cat 7.

Read the wiki and scroll back many pages.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lots of recent reports of upgrading with points. No confirmations of a New Cat 6 to New Cat 7 upgrade.
I personally upgraded a 5 night Old Cat 8 from New Cat 5 to New Cat 6 for 30k. Should have maybe been a wash but I wasn't arguing.
The key is to upgrade at the time are you converting from the Old code to the new code. Then you will have a 1 year extension automatically when you convert to the new code and new cat.
Glad I upgraded to the Cat 6, the Westin Grand Cayman is moving up to a a Cat 7.

Read the wiki and scroll back many pages.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html
My old 5 night Cat 8 certificate that was changed to a new Cat 5 certificate and then upgraded to a Cat. 6 (in one operation last week) involved a refund of 30,000 points and then a charge of 90,000 points for the upgrade to new Cat 6. Thought that sounded like too much at the time, but wasn't wanting to rock the boat. So if they deducted the refund 30,000 from the upgrade charge, that is still 60,000 points. I checked the totals against what appeared on the website, and those were the additions and deductions to the account. Does that sound right? Have not called back yet, as there is likely nothing good that could come of that, but it really seems after all this time they should have their act together, especially since I emailed them last summer and had a case number, but only a response saying they would be in touch.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
My old 5 night Cat 8 certificate that was changed to a new Cat 5 certificate and then upgraded to a Cat. 6 (in one operation last week) involved a refund of 30,000 points and then a charge of 90,000 points for the upgrade to new Cat 6. Thought that sounded like too much at the time, but wasn't wanting to rock the boat. So if they deducted the refund 30,000 from the upgrade charge, that is still 60,000 points. I checked the totals against what appeared on the website, and those were the additions and deductions to the account. Does that sound right? Have not called back yet, as there is likely nothing good that could come of that, but it really seems after all this time they should have their act together, especially since I emailed them last summer and had a case number, but only a response saying they would be in touch.
Seems like it should be a wash, 30k refund, then 30k charge to upgrade to Cat 6. So it was done wrong for both of us imo. I was charged 30k and you were charged 60k. I never called back, and am traveling late March on both certificates. I will call after I use the certificates to try for the 30k refund, I dont really want to chance them messing up my certificates and reservations or deciding I shouldnt have been allowed to upgrade. In the end I was ok with 30k to upgrade, prob would have been ok with even 60k to use these certificates at a Cat 6 vs Cat 5. Though resort fees are killer at $65/nite for me at Westin GCM.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called again and was told unequivocally that you cannot upgrade either at the time of the conversion or at a later date. She actually said that the representatives who do it can lose their jobs!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I just called again and was told unequivocally that you cannot upgrade either at the time of the conversion or at a later date. She actually said that the representatives who do it can lose their jobs!

Just lovely...;-( (sitting on four OC 6s)