• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Updates and “gifts"

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Hey does Wyndham offer Gift Cards to non owners to get them to attend a sales meeting? The reason I ask is that I booked a stay at Bonnet Creek later this year for my cousin and his wife and I was thinking over how to explain to him how to say no at the parking pass desk and how persistent they can be.

But then I thought what if he would like to pick up an easy $100? Maybe just let him know that he can try to negotiate a GC. And of course let him know of the high pressure sales techniques they use at the sales event. He's not stupid by any means, but any of us who are unprepared for what's coming can be vulnerable.

So can a non-owner get the same incentive that we owners get, namely an Amex Gift Card?
Here's the catch for non owners. They need to go through the long version of the presentation, usually around 2 hours. I have heard stories of them keeping people 4 hours or more. When you sign up, you commit to a time for the tour. When the tour starts, you start the timer on your phone. When timer goes off, you are free to get up and leave. Easy as that. No more obligation. I do the same for my 45 or 55 minute owner updates.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
You guys may not think I'm qualified to post here as a Welk owner and not Wyndham but I like to compare so here's what Welk does.
You can only do one owner update a quarter.
You can book an update stay up to 90 days in advance in a large 1BR and they will comp up to 3 nights and you can pay cash at a slightly reduced rate to stay longer. No gift cards but they'll typically get you tickets to a local show.
If a friend stays using a guest cert, and does a presentation Welk will give the owner a $50gc and the guest a "gift" which varies.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Here's the catch for non owners. They need to go through the long version of the presentation, usually around 2 hours. I have heard stories of them keeping people 4 hours or more. When you sign up, you commit to a time for the tour.

Oh yeah, you're right. Now that you mention it I remember seeing all those folks with name tags stuck on walking around the lake at BC with a well dressed person accompanying them. That must be the non-owner's tour.

Well I will explain all this to my cousin and then it's his call. Thanks for the reminder

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a TUG thread about fastest / shortest time & best level gift(s)

Lots of posts on it - so you may not be “the norm “- but you have lots of company .

I once read another post that basically said - “ I eat breakfast everyday ..... free is good / saves me $ 6.95.....
Along time ago I belonged to tug. That was a popular subject. I remember it well as it was 911 when we were driving to Fredrickburg from Massanutten.

I asked what the gift was which was $50 on the first, $100 the second that third and final was $150. That was alot of money back then.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks TUG; for the "belly laughs." It is fun to see so many enjoy the experience that Wyndham offers. Highly recommend that just before you do the "Parking Pass Dance" that you ask "Siri" what the weather is going to be where you are situated over the next couple of days. When you suspect that it may be raining for instance consider that likely possibility when making your date for the dance with the weasels.

Meanwhile, if you are a "Newbie" as a Wyndham owner and think that you just might be tempted to consider more points for whatever reason consider doing the so-called update as late in your stay as possible.

Think about it! Wyndham would rather talk to you and sell you something early in your vacation week or time at the resort because you will no doubt be slow to get remorse simply because you are to busy enjoying the rest of your vacation OR you will ruin your Vacation because you do take the time to check-out the details while on vacation.

What Wyndham weasels want is for the "Mark" to sign and review much later, only to eventually find out that he or she [The Mark] have only days or maybe even hours (depending on the delay in the review process) to execute their right to rescind.

Far to many timeshare owners have learned the hard way and regretted that they paid way to much for whatever attracted them to purchase initially and then some never learn to - Do their homework and buy RE-SALE.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks TUG; for the "belly laughs." It is fun to see so many enjoy the experience that Wyndham offers. Highly recommend that just before you do the "Parking Pass Dance" that you ask "Siri" what the weather is going to be where you are situated over the next couple of days. When you suspect that it may be raining for instance consider that likely possibility when making your date for the dance with the weasels.

Meanwhile, if you are a "Newbie" as a Wyndham owner and think that you just might be tempted to consider more points for whatever reason consider doing the so-called update as late in your stay as possible.

Think about it! Wyndham would rather talk to you and sell you something early in your vacation week or time at the resort because you will no doubt be slow to get remorse simply because you are to busy enjoying the rest of your vacation OR you will ruin your Vacation because you do take the time to check-out the details while on vacation.

What Wyndham weasels want is for the "Mark" to sign and review much later, only to eventually find out that he or she [The Mark] have only days or maybe even hours (depending on the delay in the review process) to execute their right to rescind.

Far to many timeshare owners have learned the hard way and regretted that they paid way to much for whatever attracted them to purchase initially and then some never learn to - Do their homework and buy RE-SALE.
Well believe it or not, there are owners that enjoy their ownership. People who buy that want to be part of the program. Your the one in the minority. Maybe your the one that is making the mistake. Don't get me wrong, we need people like you to pay your dues to keep maintenance fees low. I'm sure Wyndham will find a way to dimminish the impact on those who buy nothing but resale. Wyndham treats resale differently for VIPS. THE resale points carry the benefits that they bought. You as VIP pick up discounts, RARPS deposit forward feature for your level. And they are transferred upon death. Something my children are interested in. I have the money to do it. It is avshame that Wyndham preys on poor unknowing people year all those whom even have to do without to pay Wyndham is a tavisty. They should not even buy resale. They probably saved up to go to a Wyndham resort. The new web site is a prime example of Wyndham trying to work that balance between direct, resale one time buyers and negative renters. I say negative renters rather than renters. This nice actually helped the VIP owners who rent small amounts of excess points. The problem with the sales is it is the nature of the beast that there potential buyers are a passing parade. This is not a relationship sale. Once the parade, to you the mark, leaves it is over.

It is true that buyers should research the product and make informed decisions. Those that don't end up places like this wanting out. It is no wonder why thus site has become so negative. I applaud anything Wyndham does to get me where I want to go when I want to go. I don't do any kind of dance, I can't dance, with the parking pass people. I go. I do check with the weather first. That way I can make an informed decision on what to buy. Your trying to get the hell out of there with your token of appreciation. Maybe someday you will see the light and start to consider buying direct. It might be your best deal, someday , but now, only if you "plan to go VIP, IN MY OPINION.

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
I was told that the 3 anaheim resorts act as one when doing updates so uou can only get one gift staying at separate locations

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Well believe it or not, there are owners that enjoy their ownership. People who buy that want to be part of the program. Your the one in the minority. Maybe your the one that is making the mistake.

You do realize that the person you’re chiding for being too negative is someone who’s spent the better part of a decade in this forum helping Wyndham owners get the most out of their ownership? He wrote the original 10-part introductory article series which (though a few sections of it are now sadly out of date) was clearly a labor of love, both for the Wyndham system and for the benefit of TUG members and visitors. I'm not sure exactly what in Goofy's post caused your tirade against adeptly navigating sales meetings and resale ownership, but it seems misdirected to me.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Well believe it or not, there are owners that enjoy their ownership. People who buy that want to be part of the program. Your the one in the minority. Maybe your the one that is making the mistake. Don't get me wrong, we need people like you to pay your dues to keep maintenance fees low. I'm sure Wyndham will find a way to dimminish the impact on those who buy nothing but resale. Wyndham treats resale differently for VIPS. THE resale points carry the benefits that they bought. You as VIP pick up discounts, RARPS deposit forward feature for your level. And they are transferred upon death. Something my children are interested in. I have the money to do it. It is avshame that Wyndham preys on poor unknowing people year all those whom even have to do without to pay Wyndham is a tavisty. They should not even buy resale. They probably saved up to go to a Wyndham resort. The new web site is a prime example of Wyndham trying to work that balance between direct, resale one time buyers and negative renters. I say negative renters rather than renters. This nice actually helped the VIP owners who rent small amounts of excess points. The problem with the sales is it is the nature of the beast that there potential buyers are a passing parade. This is not a relationship sale. Once the parade, to you the mark, leaves it is over.

It is true that buyers should research the product and make informed decisions. Those that don't end up places like this wanting out. It is no wonder why thus site has become so negative. I applaud anything Wyndham does to get me where I want to go when I want to go. I don't do any kind of dance, I can't dance, with the parking pass people. I go. I do check with the weather first. That way I can make an informed decision on what to buy. Your trying to get the hell out of there with your token of appreciation. Maybe someday you will see the light and start to consider buying direct. It might be your best deal, someday , but now, only if you "plan to go VIP, IN MY OPINION.

I enjoy my membership. I didn't buy it, I inherited it. The sales people lie, and sell through shady tactics in my opinion. When I'm ready to get more points, I will do it resale. I'm already VIP. I absolutely go to all the "owners updates" I can, and get my gifts. Speaking of that, I went again Sunday, second week in a row. They made me sith through the workshop, came in and said, "You know where the gifting is, go get your gift, thanks for coming in." Damn they hate me there. But you see, they hate me, because I have done research on this site, and I know what I have for my membership. It pays to learn!!

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I did an update at PCB a few weeks ago...told the parking pass desk "no, I just want to enjoy my weekend. My parking pass please." They jumped straight to a $200 offer (for Dave and Buster's...which we just happened to be going to the next night). I took it...we were looking to do a PIC anyway...put the resort sales rep against telesales over the next few days. Got the better deal through telesales...couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
I just did an update at the Wyndham Anaheim. It turns out they consider it a continuous stay if you are 1 night there and one night Dolphins Cove. But at my update we explained to the sales rep. in the first 10 minutes. that we had 13 trips already booked for this year and a few more that we had already taken with 375k points remaining. The only reason we would need more points would be to rent them. This is where it gets good. He told us that there was nothing he could do for us and that we could pick up our kids from the child care iPad room while he checked us out. ( only 1 iPad worked at the 6 stations). My wife picked up the kids and I waited for him so I could go and get my gift. After looking for 10 mins I finally saw him and called his name and started walking toward him and he waved for me to move aside as he stepped into another hallway. I went downstairs to the check in and they said I needed to go on to a tour. I explained that I had and they called another rep over who said that I still needed to go on a tour. So I went back upstairs for find the sales rep. who could not be found. I went downstairs back to check in and asked the guy what I needed to do to get my gift. He told me that the sales rep told him I left early and that it was a requirement to stay the full hour which was the agreed upon time to receive my gift . I of course told him what really happened and he came upstairs with me looking for the sales rep where it took another 10 mins to find. Finally the rep said what’s up. The Check in Rep looked at him and said what are you doing he has been waiting and looking all over for you. His reply was. I was checking him out. All of this happened right in front of the window where I was to claim my gift which was literally 6 feet from where I met with sales rep in the first place. So funny to me and my wife. I am so thankful to this site and all I have learned to make it so every update I have done end in much shorter time than required and with no pressure of sales at all. I thought it would be hard to get my wife to go but she is so enthused that they can not offer us anything because we have more than enough and know what we have.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do realize that the person you’re chiding for being too negative is someone who’s spent the better part of a decade in this forum helping Wyndham owners get the most out of their ownership? He wrote the original 10-part introductory article series which (though a few sections of it are now sadly out of date) was clearly a labor of love, both for the Wyndham system and for the benefit of TUG members and visitors. I'm not sure exactly what in Goofy's post caused your tirade against adeptly navigating sales meetings and resale ownership, but it seems misdirected to me.
If by help I hope your talking more than get out of. I guess I'm most upset about the word "weasels". I made my life what it is being a "weasel". Every "weasel" has to start somewhere. One of the interviews I was sent on after graduation was for selling swamp land in Florida who lived in Pittsburgh. That swamp land turned out to be Marco island. That was 1971. Sounds familiar huh! And I've been a no good dirt son of a b'in weasel ever since.

I can't help those who were talked into buying from then Fairfield or Wyndham the first time. I wasn't dumb enough to buy in. Instead after the presentation, which she liked, I said we should check out the real estate companies many had signs selling timeshare. Back then that was the scam. People paid upfront monies to the agencies. We walked out of the first office. We then went to one with nothing advertising timeshares. That was1983. Redding real estate. Back then the internet for that purpose didn't exist.

Fox Run. Unit 314 a free standing 2 bedroom unit hanging over the cliff over looking the golf course week 27. After enjoying it for 15 years and the many changes With Wyndham, and the money to spare. We finally pulled the trigger in 1995. Buying as our residual income grew only paying cash. We are at Sea Garden and just pulled the trigger on 174,000 points at 150 per.

Yes I unloaded but not everyone is dumb enough to shell, no pun intended, out $20 or 30 thousand and some of those "weasels" turn into manufacturer representatives. And make lots if money in relationship selling. And can afford to do anything they want. And enjoy life with out being bitter about their mistakes.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
If by help I hope your talking more than get out of. I guess I'm most upset about the word "weasels". I made my life what it is being a "weasel". Every "weasel" has to start somewhere. One of the interviews I was sent on after graduation was for selling swamp land in Florida who lived in Pittsburgh. That swamp land turned out to be Marco island. That was 1971. Sounds familiar huh! And I've been a no good dirt son of a b'in weasel ever since.

I can't help those who were talked into buying from then Fairfield or Wyndham the first time. I wasn't dumb enough to buy in. Instead after the presentation, which she liked, I said we should check out the real estate companies many had signs selling timeshare. Back then that was the scam. People paid upfront monies to the agencies. We walked out of the first office. We then went to one with nothing advertising timeshares. That was1983. Redding real estate. Back then the internet for that purpose didn't exist.

Fox Run. Unit 314 a free standing 2 bedroom unit hanging over the cliff over looking the golf course week 27. After enjoying it for 15 years and the many changes With Wyndham, and the money to spare. We finally pulled the trigger in 1995. Buying as our residual income grew only paying cash. We are at Sea Garden and just pulled the trigger on 174,000 points at 150 per.

Yes I unloaded but not everyone is dumb enough to shell, no pun intended, out $20 or 30 thousand and some of those "weasels" turn into manufacturer representatives. And make lots if money in relationship selling. And can afford to do anything they want. And enjoy life with out being bitter about their mistakes.

They are weasels, because they lie to sell a product. I wish I would have written down every lie I've been told. I personally have a real hard time with someone who needs to lie to sell something. Now a little white lie now and again is not a bad thing, but every update I've been to has been a bigger lie. The biggest lie of all so far has been for me to buy 400000 points, and put half in extra holidays, and I will never pay another maint fee again. Wow, I'm a math whiz, so you can't slip that by me, but for someone who isn't as sharp with the figures, they can blow a lot of smoke. I have a serious problem with any company that uses shady sales tactics to sell, I know it's not just Wyndham, but let's call a spade a spade.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are weasels, because they lie to sell a product. I wish I would have written down every lie I've been told. I personally have a real hard time with someone who needs to lie to sell something. Now a little white lie now and again is not a bad thing, but every update I've been to has been a bigger lie. The biggest lie of all so far has been for me to buy 400000 points, and put half in extra holidays, and I will never pay another maint fee again. Wow, I'm a math whiz, so you can't slip that by me, but for someone who isn't as sharp with the figures, they can blow a lot of smoke. I have a serious problem with any company that uses shady sales tactics to sell, I know it's not just Wyndham, but let's call a spade a spade.
What do you do for a living? I'm sure someone considers you a weasel. Where you deliver not exactly as described in THEIR MIND. WEASEL!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you do for a living? I'm sure someone considers you a weasel. Where you deliver not exactly as described in THEIR MIND. WEASEL!

Woops! Sorry you no good dirty weasel!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

wea·sel
/ˈwēzəl/Submit
noun
a small, slender, carnivorous mammal related to, but generally smaller than, the stoat.
a deceitful or treacherous person.
synonyms: scoundrel, wretch, rogue; More
verb
achieve something by use of cunning or deceit.
"she suspects me of trying to weasel my way into his affections"

If you or anyone else chooses to practice deceit in today’s world of ubiquitous internet connectivity where reliable reputation data and pricing is available at the click of a button, then the title is deserved IMHO. The ends no longer justify the means. The rules have changed.

I’ve often said that the timeshare industry will eventually go the same way the auto industry did with regard to sales practices. Most automotive dealerships have wised up to the reality of accurate and ubiquitous pricing and reputational data available online and no longer encourage or employ deceitful sales practices as the internet is forever and negative reputation data will eventually fold your business if you choose not to pay attention. This is the new reality. I’ve seen entire regional dealership chains go under because their management refused to adapt and collapsed under their own weight in the process. It can and will happen regardless of how large the company in question is, it’s simply a matter of time.

Many people believe the BS put out by Wyndham Destinations that they broke off from Wyndham Hotels because doing so allowed them to focus on providing timeshare owners better value moving forward. The reality for the separation is that the hotel industry is increasingly driven by reputation alone - again due to the reputation data maintained by independent websites and social media engines - and the Wyndham timeshare businesses predominantly negative reputation was negatively impacting the hotel business and starting to negatively impact hotel revenues and profit potential. Money talks. In other words, the split was to separate the hotel business because of the negative reputational impact from the timeshare business.

The reality of the new internet connected world is that the oft used statement caveat emptor or buyer beware is no longer the rule. It is flipping on its head thanks to online reputation systems - it is becoming seller beware - and its about time. No longer is it acceptable to employ sales practices that count on an uninformed buyer. Businesses who adapt and adopt newer sales models and best practices will survive and thrive (Amazon and eBay anyone?). Those that do not will eventually be replaced or fail under their own weight. Relationship based selling is dying, like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: