• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Applying for new passports for minors - timing w/ Fed Govt shutdown ?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a trip to Canada coming up in May'ish (2019), we are scrambling now as we just discovered our teens' passports have just expired so they have to apply for new passports (they cannot simply renew because they are minors).

With the Federal Government's shutdown (well, there is a temporary 3 week reprisal, but...), has anyone gone through the new passport application process this past month or two? How long has it taken to receive your new passport(s) ? We are debating whether we need to ask for expedited processing (supposedly takes 2-3 weeks vs the standard processing time of 4-6 weeks?), but that will add $60 for each teen, which adds up quickly. We prefer not to pay this extra fee if it is not needed because our two passports will also be expiring at the end of this year, which is another unforeseen costs !

* I have read that the Federal passport processing department(s) is not impacted by the Federal Govt shutdown because this function is considered 'essential', yet a co-worker who applied for his son's new passport in late December at a Post Office said he was informed time to process the passport application maybe slowed down considerably because of the govt shutdown.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if there is another shutdown, you should have them back long before your May trip. But I don't think I'd wait until the 'event' resolves itself. That said, i am not in your target group who has renewed passports recently We were in the huge bunch with '17 renewals and the State Dep't had staffed up in anticipation.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We can all say what we would do (and personally, I would get your passport applications mailed ASAP and NOT pay the expedited fee) but consider this:

No one can guarantee the time it will take.
What is your peace of mind worth while waiting for your passports?
How will you feel if you pay for expedited processing and the passports come back in mid March? Will you consider the extra fee wasted?

Again, if it were me, I would mail the applications NOW but NOT pay for the expedited processing.
Processing is supposed to complete within a 6-8 week window but when the wife and I renewed our passports recently, it was a much shorter period.

Your sig says you are in Northern California - are you anywhere near a regional passport office? There is one in San Francisco...
Read this: https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/us-passport-agency.html

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Winger, please keep us posted on what you do and how long the process takes. I'm in a little different situation of needing a passport for a minor. We are expecting a 3rd grandchild within about 2 weeks. He will be coming to Aruba with our whole family this July, so we will need to apply for a social security card and then a passport pretty promptly after he arrives in order to make sure everything gets processed in time. I'm not stressing about it yet as we will have almost 5 months to get these things done, but I'm curious if there are extended time frames due to the government shutdown and perhaps it will shut down again in mid February. Who would have ever thought we would need to sweat this out?!
Good luck.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We did renewal by mail, sending December 24, and received them in three weeks, about January 15. This was right in the middle of the shutdown.

I suspect that these operations are funded by their fees, so not subject to appropriations. The following was on the Dept of State website. It's since been removed.

We continue to offer passport services during the lapse of appropriations for the federal government.

You can still apply for a U.S. passport book or passport card at all passport agencies and centers and acceptance facilities (such as U.S. post offices, libraries, or county clerk’s offices) during the lapse of appropriations. You can also renew your passport by mail. Our processing times remain the same: 4-6 weeks for routine service and 2-3 weeks for expedited service.

If you have a scheduled appointment at a U.S. Department of State passport agency or center, please plan on keeping your appointment. If you need to cancel your appointment, you may do so by visiting the Online Passport Appointment System or by calling 1-877-487-2778. If you have a scheduled appointment at a passport acceptance facility and need to cancel your appointment, please contact the facility directly.

We will update this notice if there is a cha
nge in passport services during the lapse in appropriations.​

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
@ Jim and bbodb1,thanks for the info/recommendations.

I called the The San Francisco Passport Agency and the lady mentioned they only recommend I come in if am travelling within 2 weeks as the passport process is NOT impacted by the Fed Govt shutdown.

Since all local (<25 miles) passport processing locations (e.g. city civic centers, US post offices, etc.) that take appointments (only out to 60 days) did not have any openings until possibly March 4th or later, we called a post office w/ walk-in only and the clerk who processes passport apps recommended I come in today to get our kids' passports in time. So, DW, kids and I will dropped by that post office in an hour with the completed application and all required documentation.

I will post an update on timing (and any any hiccups with the process, if experienced) - hope this helps someone.

* BTW, since we are talking about teens (16yo and under), they have to show up in person, as well as both parents.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Several years ago, when they started requiring passports for more countries (Mexico & Canada?) I applied for a passport 5 months before a trip to Scotland - and it didn't come. So I ended up in the San Francisco Passport office the day before our flight and they did issue a passport to me that day. I had to stand in a long line in the morning, and resubmit all my Docs and a pictures again, and then I went back at 4:00 and picked up the Passport. It was a long stressful day - but they did get it ready for me.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
* BTW, since we are talking about teens (16yo and under), they have to show up in person, as well as both parents.
Yep, had to do that four times with my daughter, as we got her first passport when she was just under 2 (then at 6, 11 and 16). Luckily, the passport at 16 is now good for 10 years.

Kurt

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, when they started requiring passports for more countries (Mexico & Canada?) I applied for a passport 5 months before a trip to Scotland - and it didn't come. So I ended up in the San Francisco Passport office the day before our flight and they did issue a passport to me that day. I had to stand in a long line in the morning, and resubmit all my Docs and a pictures again, and then I went back at 4:00 and picked up the Passport. It was a long stressful day - but they did get it ready for me.
Thanks for sharing, DeniseM. I am hoping for a better showing for us. I would consider going to the The San Francisco Passport Agency if we do not get the kids' passports by mid April. On another thought, since we are traveling for Spring Break in April, maybe we would drop by the local Passport Agency then, and make a 'family outing' out of it !!! : )

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
BTW - I had an appointment.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was stressful because our flight was the next day, the Passport office was mobbed with upset and/or angry people, and it was a long day. I honestly don't know if having an appointment helped - we were in the same line with people who just showed up - but things may be different now.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
@ Jim and bbodb1,thanks for the info/recommendations.

I called the The San Francisco Passport Agency and the lady mentioned they only recommend I come in if am traveling within 2 weeks as the passport process is NOT impacted by the Fed Govt shutdown.

Since all local (<25 miles) passport processing locations (e.g. city civic centers, US post offices, etc.) that take appointments (only out to 60 days) did not have any openings until possibly March 4th or later, we called a post office w/ walk-in only and the clerk who processes passport apps recommended I come in today to get our kids' passports in time. So, DW, kids and I will dropped by that post office in an hour with the completed application and all required documentation.

I will post an update on timing (and any any hiccups with the process, if experienced) - hope this helps someone.

Just an update to our experience with timing.

So summarize, we (parents) walked the kids into the local post office after school on Jan 29th to complete/submit their applications, and their new passports arrived at the house (regular USPS) together on Feb 18th (issued Feb 12th). Not too bad !

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Good to hear...glad it worked out fine. Our new grandson arrived on Feb. 4th (a "short" month ago today). He has received his Social Security Card but we are still waiting for his birth certificate from the town he was born in. Once that is received we can apply for his passport for our trip to Aruba this summer. Sounds like it won't be an issue at all.

Another question about the 6 month expiration date rule (Passport expiration should be at least 6 months after return date). Is that a hard rule or just a recommendation? We are traveling to Israel in September and my passport expires in March of 2020 a few days before 6 months after our return date. Do I need to renew my passport before I leave for Israel? Thanks.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Another question about the 6 month expiration date rule (Passport expiration should be at least 6 months after return date). Is that a hard rule or just a recommendation? We are traveling to Israel in September and my passport expires in March of 2020 a few days before 6 months after our return date. Do I need to renew my passport before I leave for Israel? Thanks.
My understanding from word of mouth is for some countries, the x months from expiration rule must be followed. Again, this is from from other people's experience, so maybe best to make a call to some official dept ?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Check with your airline as well. Sometimes it is the airline that will not let you fly if your return is within 6 months of your passport expiration.

Kurt