• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

June trip to Washington DC and Williamsburg - logistics questions

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
In mid-June, my wife and I are planning four nights at the Washington DC Pulse and 4 nights in Williamsburg.

We plan the usual museum and other tourist activities in DC, and we don't expect we'll need or want a car. We'd like to rent a car and drive to Williamsburg.

Is that a reasonable plan?

What's the best way to get from National airport to the Pulse resort? The Metro? Uber?

Is it possible to rent a car near the Pulse?

By the way, if you have any ideas for restaurants we just shouldn't miss, please tell me those, too.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I would do Metro unless you have more than one bag each--I would go back to National for a car....Old Ebbitt Grill is a must--I Ricchi for Italian. Call your Senator to ask for a tour of Capital.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are up for taking bags on a subway then use Metro. If not, take an Uber. It should be around 15-25 dollars to Pulse. No car needed/wanted in DC. Tons of great restaurants in DC and that means great. Go look on Tripadvisor, Yelp, etc. DC is one of the most underrated food cities in the US. I would consider taking the Amtrak to Williamsburg and getting a car there. You can metro to Union Station or take an Uber. Reserve a car in Williamsburg. See if Amtrak is cheaper going back or dropping the car off at National Airport. You can get off at the Airport on Amtrak rather than going to Union Station on the return trip.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't thought of calling my senator's office.

I would do Metro unless you have more than one bag each--I would go back to National for a car....Old Ebbitt Grill is a must--I Ricchi for Italian. Call your Senator to ask for a tour of Capital.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are up for taking bags on a subway then use Metro. If not, take an Uber. It should be around 15-25 dollars to Pulse. No car needed/wanted in DC. Tons of great restaurants in DC and that means great. Go look on Tripadvisor, Yelp, etc. DC is one of the most underrated food cities in the US. I would consider taking the Amtrak to Williamsburg and getting a car there. You can metro to Union Station or take an Uber. Reserve a car in Williamsburg. See if Amtrak is cheaper going back or dropping the car off at National Airport. You can get off at the Airport on Amtrak rather than going to Union Station on the return trip.

Believe it or not, I've never used Uber. I'm going to have to learn sooner or later, though. Is it easy enough to get one at the airport?

Is there sightseeing to be done by car on the way to Williamsburg?

I was considering flying home out of Norfolk, but there are no nonstops by Southwest. It might be easier overall to go back to National, then fly home. Three nonstops that way. We hate running through airports.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I've never used Uber. I'm going to have to learn sooner or later, though. Is it easy enough to get one at the airport?

I was considering flying home out of Norfolk, but there are no nonstops by Southwest. It might be easier overall to go back to National, then fly home. Three nonstops that way. We hate running through airports.
You'll LOVE Uber and never use a taxi again. Just load the app for Uber and/or lyft and order a ride. I'd suggest trying a time or two around home, just so the driver doesn't see you as a total newbie. It'll happen sooner or later.

IMO there is not much to see between DC and Wm'sbrg.

Southwest uses BWI primarily. They do serve other airports, but BWI is the biggie.

Have fun. Both places are great experiences that we have repeated often.

Jim

boris-bear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Umbrella Beach Club (AMI,FL),
Longboat Bay Club (LBK,FL),
Veranda Beach Club (LBK,FL)

A couple of suggestions:

1. Strongly suggest considering Amtrak to Williamsburg if it makes sense for you. It’s a little slower than it should be, but it is pleasant and even scenic in a few spots. Unless you are staying close in in Williamsburg, you’ll want a car there, but you could save yourself the hassle of driving I-95 and I-64 (especially given typically horrid traffic between DC and Fredericksburg ). There used to be a local rental car agency right In the Williamsburg train station.

2. If you do decide to drive, there is so much historic stuff between DC and Williamsburg it’s too hard to name it all. It depends on what you are interested in. Fredericksburg is far more than what you see from the highway, with several historic houses (including George Washington’s “boyhood home” at and museums, a civil war battlefield, and a cute downtown that’s definitely worth a few hours. Ashland and Richmond have interest too. If you are into horses, you can visit Secretariat’s birthplace museum at the Meadow (Doswell exit).

3. You may wish to reconsider the wisdom of driving back to National to get a nonstop flight versus Norfolk (or, better yet, Richmond airport is more convenient for Williamsburg than Norfolk although only if the flight schedules make sense.)The drive back up 95 can be awful and if you are in a time crunch it can be even more nerve-wracking. ( I guess it depends on the connecting airport you would have to endure instead... ).

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions:

1. Strongly suggest considering Amtrak to Williamsburg if it makes sense for you. It’s a little slower than it should be, but it is pleasant and even scenic in a few spots. Unless you are staying close in in Williamsburg, you’ll want a car there, but you could save yourself the hassle of driving I-95 and I-64 (especially given typically horrid traffic between DC and Fredericksburg ). There used to be a local rental car agency right In the Williamsburg train station.

2. If you do decide to drive, there is so much historic stuff between DC and Williamsburg it’s too hard to name it all. It depends on what you are interested in. Fredericksburg is far more than what you see from the highway, with several historic houses (including George Washington’s “boyhood home” at and museums, a civil war battlefield, and a cute downtown that’s definitely worth a few hours. Ashland and Richmond have interest too. If you are into horses, you can visit Secretariat’s birthplace museum at the Meadow (Doswell exit).

3. You may wish to reconsider the wisdom of driving back to National to get a nonstop flight versus Norfolk (or, better yet, Richmond airport is more convenient for Williamsburg than Norfolk although only if the flight schedules make sense.)The drive back up 95 can be awful and if you are in a time crunch it can be even more nerve-wracking. ( I guess it depends on the connecting airport you would have to endure instead... ).

The flight schedule from Richmond to Houston is miserable. From Norfolk, we could get a flight at 10 AM that would get in at about 4 PM. (There's a three hour change in BWI.) If we drive back to National, there's a 1:15 nonstop that gets back at 3:30 PM, and it's $100 cheaper. (BTW, we're more or less married to Southwest for the next two years because we have a new companion pass.)

We do like the historical sites and museums, so Fredricksburg sounds interesting. If we were to drive back and catch the flight out of National, we might make sightseeing stops both ways, then get a Hotwire room near the airport. We're retired, so an extra day here and there is manageable.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Also consider that in most cases if you rent a car, you will need to return it where you got it or it's going to be expensive.

We did Williamsburg last year, just under a 4 hour drive on Sunday morning from 15 minutes north of Baltimore, so probably 2.5-3 from DC depending on traffic. Getting back during the mid-day weekday was hell once we got within 30 minutes of DC.

Flying in and out of National is great - loved it when I lived down there. BWI is my home airport (also a Southwest spouse...) and is fine for a layover.

Definitely no car needed in DC, and yes I would Uber from the airport with baggage. Take metro around DC unless the weather is really nice then walk (June can be all over the place, usually some big rainstorms).

Lots of restaurants, totally depends on what you are interested in.

3wheelin

Reaction score
TONS of fabulous places to eat in DC.....Jack Rose is my absolute favorite though.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts based on your responses. If you leave early from DC and drive west to route 29 you can hit Jefferson's Montecello. One of the better places to visit on the way (and not exactly a straight shot). You will be about two hours to Charlottesville and about two from Charlottesville to Williamsburg. The good part is that you avoid route 95.

After reading about the flights, I would absolutely take the Amtrak back to Alexandria, VA and a cab/metro to Reagan and avoid the headaches of driving back. Amtrak can be ridiculously cheap from either Union Station of National Airport to Williamsburg. Just looking at a random weekday in June shows a one way fare of $24 (nonrefundable) or $49 (refundable) fare. Return fares are similar.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I live in Richmond and I don't enjoy the DC Traffic however the headquarters of the company I worked for was in Tysons and I often had to go there. A couple of thoughts, the time you travel 95 is critical my advice to anyone thinking about the drive it to plan that stretch of 95 between 10 am and 2 pm its generally manageable at that point during the week. Weekends can be bad anytime both around DC and around Williamsburg. The other thought beside Rt 29 and the western route with C-ville is rt 301 on the eastern side its a longer/slower ride than 95 (but quicker than Rt 29) when there is not traffic on 95 but it has a lot less traffic and its less variable as well as being a pretty drive thru the country.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
JohnB3 gives good advice, but in mid-June there's a real good chance for backups around Fredericksburg in both directions for much of the day. Summer traffic is getting into full swing and 95 is the road of choice to go north and south along the east coast. Backups will also occur every day from the beltway to south of Fredericksburg during the week at around 2:30 and go until about 7. Same is true going north, just backwards in the morning.

The 301 route is good if you are comfortable where you are driving including some very small two lane roads through the countryside. Nothing much to see that way unless you take 301 to 17 South and then you end up in Yorktown.

Also remember to look up the situation with tolls and toll lanes. Very confusing sometimes and you will need a transponder to use many of them.