• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Reviews

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have noticed the top 6 floors have floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean from the bedroom. I think these are the penthouse units. If that is the case, like others have said the only difference would be higher floor placement for premiere luxury vs premiere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have noticed the top 6 floors have floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean from the bedroom. I think these are the penthouse units. If that is the case, like others have said the only difference would be higher floor placement for premiere luxury vs premiere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

34th to 38th are listed as Penthouse floors
27th to 33rd are listed as Luxury Premium
19th to 26th are listed as Premium.

So Floor to Ceiling PH units would align with your observation.

lordstan

Reaction score
We just came back from a 10d stay in a 1 bedroom at the Grand Islander.
Personally, i will not stay there again. The staff is awesome and the buildings is clean, but the rooms are smaller than the same rooms at the Grand Waikikian.
A one Br at the GW has a dining area and a full soaking tub, olus a separate shower. The GI has a combo shower/tub with a half glass wall with a much smaller living room. I heard the 1br were approx 100sq ft smaller than the GW so they could get one extra unit per floor. The 2br i heard are the same size as the GW.
It was very clean and modern. I prefer the extra space and the modern design does nothing for me. Also the GI is further away from everything than the GW.
Just my 2c.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Lordstan,
Interesting (not in a good way) that the 1BR at GI has a combo shower/tub.

The description on HGVC website for the 1BR is very deceiving, if it's really a combo. I guess a key word is missing from the description; 'separate'.:confused:

1 Bedroom - Mountain View (1BR) Size: 630 sqft Accommodates: 4

This one-bedroom, one-bathroom mountain view suite with balcony features a master bedroom with king-size bed, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and spa-like bathroom with a sleek shower, a deep soaking bathtub, private water closet with bidet seat and elegant vanity area. The suite includes a generous living room with dining area, 55-inch flat-panel HD TV, DVD player, and queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave and washer/dryer.

lordstan

Reaction score
Lordstan,
Interesting (not in a good way) that the 1BR at GI has a combo shower/tub.

The description on HGVC website for the 1BR is very deceiving, if it's really a combo. I guess a key word is missing from the description; 'separate'.:confused:

1 Bedroom - Mountain View (1BR) Size: 630 sqft Accommodates: 4

This one-bedroom, one-bathroom mountain view suite with balcony features a master bedroom with king-size bed, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and spa-like bathroom with a sleek shower, a deep soaking bathtub, private water closet with bidet seat and elegant vanity area. The suite includes a generous living room with dining area, 55-inch flat-panel HD TV, DVD player, and queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave and washer/dryer.

Yep. It is misleading. We had same room, but ocean view. 0The tub is deep but not a jacuzzi and the shower door is only half the length of the shower. To me it made taking a shower much colder. Whichever side that is not getting the water spray is cold. That plus the water goes all over making for a slippery floor.

Rereading that, i am not sure what they call a dining area. In the GW there is a separate table area along with a countertop island. In the GI, there is only the countertop island.
The sleeper sofa mattress was very uncomfortable. My daughter slept on the sofa closed instead and said it was much more comfortable.

Imo, the size and decor seem to not be made for the "larger size", generally speaking, American population.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yep. It is misleading. We had same room, but ocean view. 0The tub is deep but not a jacuzzi and the shower door is only half the length of the shower. To me it made taking a shower much colder. Whichever side that is not getting the water spray is cold. That plus the water goes all over making for a slippery floor.

Rereading that, i am not sure what they call a dining area. In the GW there is a separate table area along with a countertop island. In the GI, there is only the countertop island.
The sleeper sofa mattress was very uncomfortable. My daughter slept on the sofa closed instead and said it was much more comfortable.

Imo, the size and decor seem to not be made for the "larger size", generally speaking, American population.

Interesting... Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Found a picture of the combo tub on Tripadvisor (link)

shower.jpg

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
No wonder you had to hunt and find a photo on trip adviser, because HGVC won't show this in any photo that I can tell. Another example of why I like to go to Trip Advisor for more information.

lordstan

Reaction score
That is exactly what my room looked like. You can see the frosted glass of the wall/door surrounding the toilet in the mirror. There are 2 pocket sliding doors. one, that you can see in the mirror, goes into the bedroom and the other is 90 deg to the right and goes into the common area.

junk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 16800, Grand waikikian 12600 EOY, Boulevard 7000
That is exactly what my room looked like. You can see the frosted glass of the wall/door surrounding the toilet in the mirror. There are 2 pocket sliding doors. one, that you can see in the mirror, goes into the bedroom and the other is 90 deg to the right and goes into the common area.
I believe you guys have stayed the room with two full beds but the room with one king has separate bath tub and shower booth. Just FYI

junk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 16800, Grand waikikian 12600 EOY, Boulevard 7000

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I already noticed the room size difference between GI and GW.

I am still holding out that I might get lucky and grab a cancellation just around the 35 to 31 day mark for the LT. I can wish or hope.

lordstan

Reaction score
I believe you guys have stayed the room with two full beds but the room with one king has separate bath tub and shower booth. Just FYI
You are correct. I misspoke before. We had the 1 br with the 2 full beds.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I went back to my 2017 pictures. :ponder:
We had a two bedroom resort view with 2 beds in the 2nd bedroom.

HGVC Description
2 Bedroom - Resort View (2BD)
Size 912-1039 sqft Accommodates 6 guests
This two-bedroom, two-bathroom resort view suite with balcony features a master bedroom with king-size bed, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and spa-like bathroom with a sleek shower, a deep soaking bathtub, private water closet with bidet seat and elegant vanity area. The second bedroom is furnished with a king-size bed or two double beds, 50-inch flat-panel HD TV and bathroom. The suite includes a generous living room with dining area, 55-inch flat-panel HD TV, DVD player, and queen-size sleeper sofa, as well as a fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave and washer/dryer.

The master bathroom had the separate tub and shower as shown in Junk’s picture but the other bathroom had a shower only (no tub). It was ok for us but it doesn’t mention this in the HGVC description.

34157719893_ceebea1f79.jpg

Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
We were there last week. 1 BR, resort view. The balcony (lanai) overlooked the roof of the Tapa conference rooms, with 3 pipes spewing out steam or something right next to the lanai. Not a pleasant nor desired view or location. The combo bath / shower isn't that warm taking a shower either as the back half of it is open to the bathroom. I prefer the GI to the GW, only because it feels closer to the village. The long hallway at the GW makes that building feel like you aren't a part of the village at all. Now if Hilton would get rid of the very annoying cosmetic "hallway chasers" near that ABC store there, it would be even more appealing.

marietazsf69

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club West 57th Street, NY, Worldmark the Club, Club Wyndham Star Island
We also have a two bedroom resort view reserved in May (5/13 check-in). We're hoping to get a high floor.
Do you have any pics that shows what the resort view looks like?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please check YouTube or Facebook for some current photos of the resort.
Good luck on your search for current,photos.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi @marietazsf69 and Welcome to TUG :)

The information you’re looking for is in this thread.
  • Post #2 (see 1st quote below) includes a pdf attachment that shows the resort view room locations on each side of the Grand Islander.
  • Post #24 (see 2nd quote below) includes various room views posted on TripAdvisor. As shown in the pdf attachment, the bottom level floors on all four sides of the building are included under the resort view room category.
  • Post #42 (see 3rd quote below) includes my resort view from room 603 which was on the lower floor on the Diamond Head side.
Grand Islander just opened this month.

There is one review on TripAdvisor - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...ton_Grand_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

GregT posted an attachment with the location of room types
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/gi_point_chart_and_floor_plans-pdf.1889/

It was in this thread - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...lander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club.220477/

Grand Islander first guests - posted six days ago

The various Grand Islander room views posted on TripAdvisor and Yelp

photo2jpg.jpg

photo4jpg.jpg

o.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

the-grand-islander-by.jpg

mountain-view.jpg

o.jpg

slice-of-the-pacific.jpg

the-grand-islander-by.jpg

believe-it-or-not-our.jpg

We checked our extended family members into their resort view room at the Grand Islander on Saturday. At checkin, I requested a room with two double beds in the 2nd bedroom since we preferred three separate beds. Luckily we were assigned a two bedroom on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area. I am truly grateful for the room assignment based on the other possible "resort view" locations at the Grand Islander Tower.

I'll post more photos when we get back home.

Here's the view from room 603. (Odd number rooms face diamond head).

34517944372_d0bd630061_z_d.jpg

34680503635_46d8df9448_z_d.jpg

34517969602_52e37edb3e_z_d.jpg

The balconies from rooms x01 are directly across from the apartments (see photo below)

33837532694_a7727f71c6_z_d.jpg

marietazsf69

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club West 57th Street, NY, Worldmark the Club, Club Wyndham Star Island
Hi @marietazsf69 and Welcome to TUG :)

The information you’re looking for is in this thread.
  • Post #2 (see 1st quote below) includes a pdf attachment that shows the resort view room locations on each side of the Grand Islander.
  • Post #24 (see 2nd quote below) includes various room views posted on TripAdvisor. As shown in the pdf attachment, the bottom level floors on all four sides of the building are included under the resort view room category.
  • Post #42 (see 3rd quote below) includes my resort view from room 603 which was on the lower floor on the Diamond Head side.
Thank you so much! I have stayed at the Grand Islander before in a 2-bedroom ocean view unit on the 30th floor and I loved it that was in March 2021. Then in October 2021, I went back to the village and stayed at the Lagoon Tower 1-bedroom ocean view and I think that was perhaps a better view because you can see the lagoon and ocean and also the great lawn. Then I came back to the village in February 2022 and stayed at the Kalia Tower in a 1-bedroom ocean view, the view as good but not the best and the tower was further back. We are going back to the village this coming September and got a 1-bedroom resort view at the Grand Islander but, I was able to exchange it for a 1-bedroom ocean view room at the Lagoon Tower. Personally think the Lagoon Tower is better located and better view. I am looking forward to going back to Hilton Hawaiian Village for the 4th time in 1 1/2 years LOL!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, each tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village has their Pros and Cons.

I agree the Lagoon Tower has a better location and the rooms facing the rainbow tower offers a nice view of lagoon and ocean and great lawn. But the Lagoon Tower also has the worst elevators and the worst soundproofing. In late evening, unreasonably loud music blasts through the unit from the Tapa Bar as if the windows and walls didn’t exist. With the time zone difference it just makes for an awful sleeping experience.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

I agree the Lagoon Tower has a better location and the rooms facing the rainbow tower offers a nice view of lagoon and ocean and great lawn. But the Lagoon Tower also has the worst elevators and the worst soundproofing. In late evening, unreasonably loud music blasts through the unit from the Tapa Bar as if the windows and walls didn’t exist. With the time zone difference it just makes for an awful sleeping experience.
GI’s elevators beat Lagoon Tower by a mile. But I prefer Lagoon Tower in all other respects. Location, views, room size, price/value.

We have both 2-BR ocean view and ocean front rooms in Lagoon Tower. Over the years we’ve learned how to manage the elevators. Check-out morning on Saturday is generally the toughest time. Two techniques are helpful. One is to take baggage down early, before 7:00am, and leave it with the concierge. The other is to go UP to get down. If you’re on a floor below 20 or so it’s going to be hard to get an elevator down that’s not full. So go up to the top, then ride down.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
GI’s elevators beat Lagoon Tower by a mile. But I prefer Lagoon Tower in all other respects. Location, views, room size, price/value.

We have both 2-BR ocean view and ocean front rooms in Lagoon Tower. Over the years we’ve learned how to manage the elevators. Check-out morning on Saturday is generally the toughest time. Two techniques are helpful. One is to take baggage down early, before 7:00am, and leave it with the concierge. The other is to go UP to get down. If you’re on a floor below 20 or so it’s going to be hard to get an elevator down that’s not full. So go up to the top, then ride down.
We are multi-week owners at the Lagoon Tower as well and have been staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village since 2003. We both love the view and the large balconies in the Lagoon Tower but the Lagoon Tower also has its problems.

You made me think of another Lagoon Tower issue. I’ll start a separate thread.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise

This is good to know as some will be more sensitive to music from Tapas, others (like me) more sensitive to road noise from the rooms facing Ala Moana. I enjoy the music from Tapas and the luau, and general hubbub of the Lagoon, but it probably helps we are on West Coast time and not ready for bed till 10 pm local time.