• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling Confusion

Gittan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
It's not that I hate what we did, I'm just not sure I want to continue. Part of figuring out if I want to change is determining what I've got.
On the surface, we purchased into Carlsbad Seapointe. However, what we've done each cycle is convert to HGVC points. We have 4200 points every other year. (The reality is I'm not sure if we have HGVC or Grand Pacific.) Doing the HGVC route we've been on a number of nice trips, but I'm not convinced the economics make sense.
There seem to be more scams reselling timeshares than the original sales. How do you find a reliable resource to tell you what you've got and what it's worth?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I don't believe that HGVC transfers to new owners anymore (but I could be wrong - someone please correct me if this is incorrect information), so if you sell, you are just selling the Seapointe unit. Unfortunately there isn't much resale value for the floating weeks, but the summer weeks have some amount of resale value (but nowhere near the developer price). What week do you own at Seapointe and what size unit?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On behalf of our friends who are interested in acquiring 4 weeks of timeshare at a location that is close to the Southern California coast, I am jumping on this thread as well. The guy is a surfer. I tried reading the difference between Grand Pacific resorts and HGVC and how they are affiliated/related and I am going nowhere. Can someone kindly explain? Thank you very much!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC is only selling points at Marbrisa now. Marbrisa is on the east side of I-5, so you have to drive to the beach. HGVC used to sell points at Seapointe in conjunction with Grand Pacific, but that ended awhile ago and I am not sure of the details. @presley or @buzglyd may know. If you own HGVC, you can book a unit at Seapointe (still an affiliate) using HGVC points.

Grand Pacific developed Seapointe and still manages it. Maintenance fees are on the high side, but not terrible. The "resort" is small but lovely and well maintained. It is across the Coast highway from Ponto beach. Other timeshares close to the beach are Carlsbad Inn and Tamarack Beach Resort, both in Carlsbad. There are others in Oceanside that are close to the beach but I'm not familiar with them.

Grand Pacific has their own exchange called GPX. It is a straight week for week exchange. They offer rental weeks, and those go on sale and are real bargains. They also offer bonus time for owners that is quite reasonable.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC is only selling points at Marbrisa now. Marbrisa is on the east side of I-5, so you have to drive to the beach. HGVC used to sell points at Seapointe in conjunction with Grand Pacific, but that ended awhile ago and I am not sure of the details. @Tpresley or @buzglyd may know. If you own HGVC, you can book a unit at Seapointe (still an affiliate) using HGVC points.

Grand Pacific developed Seapointe and still manages it. Maintenance fees are on the high side, but not terrible. The "resort" is small but lovely and well maintained. It is across the Coast highway from Ponto beach. Other timeshares close to the beach are Carlsbad Inn and Tamarack Beach Resort, both in Carlsbad. There are others in Oceanside that are close to the beach but I'm not familiar with them.

Grand Pacific has their own exchange called GPX. It is a straight week for week exchange. They offer rental weeks, and those go on sale and are real bargains. They also offer bonus time for owners that is quite reasonable.

Thank you. Still clear as mud but I will forward on this information to my friends.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. Still clear as mud but I will forward on this information to my friends.
Quick and dirty: GP developed/manages Seapointe. For awhile you could buy a week there and have the ability to get affiliate status with HGVC (option to convert to points) it that option is gone and the ability to convert does not convey to a resale purchaser. Seapointe has fixed summer weeks (maybe week 26 - 34??) but floats the rest of the year. There are one and two bedroom units and maybe a few studios. Most have ocean views. :)

Edit to add: HGVC sells points at Marbrisa, which is also in Carlsbad but not nearly as close to the beach as Seapointe.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How do you find a reliable resource to tell you what you've got and what it's worth?

I used to own what you have, paid $5 off eBay. I advertised it here on TUG and gave it away for free. The only difference was it wasn’t able to convert to HGVC points, if that won’t transfer to new owner...

I took a presentation at Marbrisa, they offered me $100 trade in credit to buy there and get a unit with HGVC points.

The float units get 4200, summer fixed weeks get 6200.

Here are some of the owner materials for booking Seapointe, a little dated now but still accurate.

d2b407d59e4c182cd1cb7dcaa1aab3c0.jpg
003cdab174b4b70a8c9656121d048a0d.jpg
cbc3de45f344cf629428e3cc4ebce45c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the surface, we purchased into Carlsbad Seapointe. However, what we've done each cycle is convert to HGVC points. We have 4200 points every other year. (The reality is I'm not sure if we have HGVC or Grand Pacific.)
You own Grand Pacific Carlsbad Seapointe. You get all the advantages of being an owner there (bonus time and day use) and you get to use the internal Grand Pacific exchange program.

Since you can convert to HGVC points, you have a rare contract. You also have all the benefits associated with HGVC.

Overall, this is not a bad timeshare to own. It is a great thing to own if you use Grand Pacific for exchanging or if you want to use your home resort for day use, bonus time. However, if you only want to use this to convert to HGVC points, you are paying a much higher amount in annual dues than many HGVC owners. The MFs at this location are high because of being so close to the ocean and because everything costs more in southern California.

When I owned timeshares, Carlsbad Seapointe was my favorite. To me it is worth paying the big bucks, but I liked the location and the condition of the property. If I didn't use the actual resort there would have been no benefit to owning there.