• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Vallarta - nice visit to El Tuito

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The last month DW has been battling a respiratory infection that has sapped her strength. So we skipped the trail hike from Boca to Quimixto. Instead we took the bus past the Botanical Garden and on to El Tuito.

El Tuito is just a nice town in the Sierra Madre - about 2000 feet elevation - and not not overrun by tourists. Enough gringos get there that in the main part of town enough English is spoken to get by. But that's about the only tourist bent that you see.

It's not an activities town. You just wander around. There's a nice central plaza and next to the plaza is wonderful and charming centuries old Catholic church. There are some quaint side streets. Totally safe and the local people are polite. If you want hooch, it's the place to buy raicilla.

And since it's not a tourist locate, it's quite cheap. How cheap do you ask?

We had lunch next at a sidewalk restaurant next to main plaza. DW, still recovering, ordered a cheese quesadilla. I ordered carnitas a la Mexicana - grilled carinitas in a red sauce. My order came with rice, beans, cooked vegetable (broccoli) and fresh corn toritillas. DW has a coke; I had a Pacifico. Before tips, it was 155 pesos - that's $US 8.16 US at my 19:1 exchange rate.

Later, as we were wandering around, we walked past a small tortilleria in front of a house on a side street. We running low, so I asked for half a kilo (1.1 lbs). The senorita grabbed a bunch hot off the cooker, weighed them out wrapped them in paper and gave them to us in a plastic bag, still too hot to hold onto. Total price: 15 pesos (that 80 cents).

A bit further along, as were continuing to wander, a guy approached us and started chatting us up. He basically wanted to know if I wanted to buy some raicilla. With DW still queasy, I had already decided to pass on the opportunity this trip. (If I were interested I would have asked for a recommendation at the restaurant.)

Bus fare to El Tuito is 30 pesos each way. So for two of us, 120 pesos total. About $3.15 each. Less than what you would pay for a one-way bus fare in most cities in the US. For that you get a one-hour bus ride that takes the highway along the Conchas Chinas coast, then climbs into pine forest, above the coastal jungle.

Our bus on the way to El Tuito was an intercity, so it had upholstered seats, and a LCD screen showing movies. (We saw most of "Letters to Juliet" on the way.

Oh, on the way back we realized we needed a tomato and couple of bananas to finish the week. After the bus dropped us off in Viejo Vallarta, we were walking along Insurgentes to the stop for the Marina Vallarta bus when we passed a small store with fruits and vegetables. So we bought our tomato and two bananas. Total price: $6 pesos (32 cents).

In a separate post I'll discuss the cesspool (almost literally) that Sayulita has become.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW - you catch the bus to El Tuito on the corner of Aguacate and V. Carrranza in Viejo Vallarta.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This reminds me that it's time to visit PV again. We have been there with kids several times when they were young. Always did the tourist things. Next time, we shall do it in a more relaxed pace and explore the nearby towns like you did. Is it easy to figure out which buses to take for these kind of places?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think I am heading to El Tuito next time I am in the area. I was wondering if you have made it past El Tuito and back down to the Pacific Ocean ?

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think I am heading to El Tuito next time I am in the area. I was wondering if you have made it past El Tuito and back down to the Pacific Ocean ?

Bill
No, I haven't.

Are you thinking of continuing down the main highway past El Tuito, or taking one of the side roads out of El Tuito that go down to the ocean?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Should this be added to the Puerto Vallarta things to do sticky?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
No, I haven't.

Are you thinking of continuing down the main highway past El Tuito, or taking one of the side roads out of El Tuito that go down to the ocean?

I think I would like to go to the light house at the Bay of Flags. I think there is a road to this area. I haven't ventured too far past the botanical gardens heading south from PV .

I think think this and your hike thread should be stickys. It makes it easier to find.

Bill

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been 5 years since we have gone beyond El Tuito but it was a trip well worth taking. We have been to the Oceanside villages of Tehuamixtle and Mayto 3X. I understand the road from El Tuito to Tehua is now complete or near completion; it was nothing more than an adventurous dirt road when we made our trips. I understand the area is still unspoiled and as lovely as we remember.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's been 5 years since we have gone beyond El Tuito but it was a trip well worth taking. We have been to the Oceanside villages of Tehuamixtle and Mayto 3X. I understand the road from El Tuito to Tehua is now complete or near completion; it was nothing more than an adventurous dirt road when we made our trips. I understand the area is still unspoiled and as lovely as we remember.
How did you get down there? Did you take a taxi from El Tuito?

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove our rental car. I understand that Superior Tours runs trips there. We were going to go when we were in PV in November but Gecko Car Rental told us we had to rent an SUV to drive there; we didn't want to get a larger car than we needed.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This reminds me that it's time to visit PV again. We have been there with kids several times when they were young. Always did the tourist things. Next time, we shall do it in a more relaxed pace and explore the nearby towns like you did. Is it easy to figure out which buses to take for these kind of places?
If you Google "Puerto Vallarta buses" you should get some hits for web sites that explain the system pretty well. Bus destinations are printed on the windshield of the bus. You need to make sure your destination is on the bus window - or that one of the destinations printed is on the same route but further along than your stop.

One thing to be aware of is the "the Marina" and "Marina Vallarta" are not the same. If you get in a cab and as the driver to take you to the Marina, you are likely to get dropped off on the main road across from WalMart, next to the cruise ship terminal, which is where many of the tourist excursion boats arrive and depart. Marina Vallarta is a neighborhood, located to the the north of the Marina area. When I was at WalMart I helped out a lady who had made that mistake. She was downtown and asked a bus driver if he went to the Marina, and he said "yes', so she got on, only to find out later that the bus didn't go to Marina Vallarta. At least she got off at WalMart, instead of finding herself in Pittilal or Ixtapa. Then she was frustrated that she had to pay another fare.

Sometime when I'm in Puerto Vallarta, I think I'm just going to start hopping on buses to see where they go. When the bus gets to the end of the line, I can just reboard and get right back to where I started. Or if I see something I want to explore further I can get off the bus and then catch the same bus going the other direction. Seems like a good and inexpensive way to see new areas.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I should add, if you haven't reviewed the sticky note on the Las Animas trail, you should do so. That is a wonderful trail, and totally fits in with the concept of relaxed pace and exploring nearby towns, since the trail takes you to some towns that are only accessible by boat or on foot.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
"Puerto Vallarta buses"

Sometime when I'm in Puerto Vallarta, I think I'm just going to start hopping on buses to see where they go. When the bus gets to the end of the line, I can just reboard and get right back to where I started. Or if I see something I want to explore further I can get off the bus and then catch the same bus going the other direction. Seems like a good and inexpensive way to see new areas.

Great idea -

We have taken the Tunnel bus a couple of times for exactly that reason - it has great views - and then rejoins Mx 200 near the hotel zone

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested to see your response about Sayulita. We have been to PV every year for about 35 years and love it. We found little Sayulita about 30 years ago and made that trip every year. A friend of ours retired and started a restaurant there called "Rollie's". Remember that? Great restaurant run by Rollie and his wife. It had wonderful food but he closed it a few years ago. The last time we went to Sayulita was about 3 years ago when one of our local Mexican friends took us and I decided that I never wanted to go back there again! Gone is the charming little Mexican village, replaced by crowds of tourists and garbage. We hadn't been since Rollie closed his restaurant . We drove in to town on the high side of town looking for a nonexistant parking place. We passed the garbage dump right above the town and realized it was seepimg down the little river right into town and out into the beautiful little bay. Yuck! We saw the results of that in town when we finally found a place to park and walked into town. It broke my heart to see what it has become. I will remember it in all my pictures and not try to go there again. I'm so sad!

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
I will also give a thumbs up to El Tuito - but from a birding perspective. We took a tour with a private guide up to El Tuito (from Vidanta so it is a bit of a ride). Had a nice stop in the town and then continued on for some good bird watching. I can share the guides name for those that are interested.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I am interested to see your response about Sayulita. We have been to PV every year for about 35 years and love it. We found little Sayulita about 30 years ago and made that trip every year. A friend of ours retired and started a restaurant there called "Rollie's". Remember that? Great restaurant run by Rollie and his wife. It had wonderful food but he closed it a few years ago. The last time we went to Sayulita was about 3 years ago when one of our local Mexican friends took us and I decided that I never wanted to go back there again! Gone is the charming little Mexican village, replaced by crowds of tourists and garbage. We hadn't been since Rollie closed his restaurant . We drove in to town on the high side of town looking for a nonexistant parking place. We passed the garbage dump right above the town and realized it was seepimg down the little river right into town and out into the beautiful little bay. Yuck! We saw the results of that in town when we finally found a place to park and walked into town. It broke my heart to see what it has become. I will remember it in all my pictures and not try to go there again. I'm so sad!

I know what you mean. We went years ago and then 2 years ago, and it was no where near the same. :( It was too "touristy" for us. There are still a few nice beachfront restaurants, but it has lost its charm for us too.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last month DW has been battling a respiratory infection that has sapped her strength. So we skipped the trail hike from Boca to Quimixto. Instead we took the bus past the Botanical Garden and on to El Tuito.

El Tuito is just a nice town in the Sierra Madre - about 2000 feet elevation - and not not overrun by tourists. Enough gringos get there that in the main part of town enough English is spoken to get by. But that's about the only tourist bent that you see.

It's not an activities town. You just wander around. There's a nice central plaza and next to the plaza is wonderful and charming centuries old Catholic church. There are some quaint side streets. Totally safe and the local people are polite. If you want hooch, it's the place to buy raicilla.

And since it's not a tourist locate, it's quite cheap. How cheap do you ask?

We had lunch next at a sidewalk restaurant next to main plaza. DW, still recovering, ordered a cheese quesadilla. I ordered carnitas a la Mexicana - grilled carinitas in a red sauce. My order came with rice, beans, cooked vegetable (broccoli) and fresh corn toritillas. DW has a coke; I had a Pacifico. Before tips, it was 155 pesos - that's $US 8.16 US at my 19:1 exchange rate.

Later, as we were wandering around, we walked past a small tortilleria in front of a house on a side street. We running low, so I asked for half a kilo (1.1 lbs). The senorita grabbed a bunch hot off the cooker, weighed them out wrapped them in paper and gave them to us in a plastic bag, still too hot to hold onto. Total price: 15 pesos (that 80 cents).

A bit further along, as were continuing to wander, a guy approached us and started chatting us up. He basically wanted to know if I wanted to buy some raicilla. With DW still queasy, I had already decided to pass on the opportunity this trip. (If I were interested I would have asked for a recommendation at the restaurant.)

Bus fare to El Tuito is 30 pesos each way. So for two of us, 120 pesos total. About $3.15 each. Less than what you would pay for a one-way bus fare in most cities in the US. For that you get a one-hour bus ride that takes the highway along the Conchas Chinas coast, then climbs into pine forest, above the coastal jungle.

Our bus on the way to El Tuito was an intercity, so it had upholstered seats, and a LCD screen showing movies. (We saw most of "Letters to Juliet" on the way.

Oh, on the way back we realized we needed a tomato and couple of bananas to finish the week. After the bus dropped us off in Viejo Vallarta, we were walking along Insurgentes to the stop for the Marina Vallarta bus when we passed a small store with fruits and vegetables. So we bought our tomato and two bananas. Total price: $6 pesos (32 cents).

In a separate post I'll discuss the cesspool (almost literally) that Sayulita has become.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I have posted this before, maybe not. But my dear, late husband and I just love the PV environs and each trip would explore further afield. I am notorious for always traveling with the wrong shoes. One time, in 2007 or so, we drove to El Tuito. I had blisters from the wrong shoes. In town, we asked where we might purchase band-aids. We were directed to a store on the main drag, horses tied up in front. I speak passable Spanish. Went inside, asked to buy band-aids. A man waited on me. He asked if I wanted one or the whole box. I said, “ the whole box”, to which he shouted to his wife in the back, “ there is a senora here who wants to buy the whole box of band-aids”. As we left town, I was enveloped by the guilt that I had depleted the whole supply of band-aids in El Tuito.
God, I love Mexico and surely hope more band-aids were in stock in town. I think it is time I revisit on my trip in March, to make amends.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Bump for March 2019 / wish we were there

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Bump - Feb 17 2020

For 2020 visitors to PV - there is a article about El Tuito in Vallarta Lifestyles Magazine ( free - lots of real estate promotion)
( Jan 2020) “ Ei Tuito - the charming heart of a serene valley”

This thread that T_R_Oglodyte / Steve : started in 2017 has additional information & details ; so read & enjoy .