• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rocky Point Mayan Palace Cruises

nadines08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Marriott
I have a one bedroom here. Just read in the paper that starting Dec. 2019 cruises will be leaving there for 11 day cruises. (Name is Puerto Penasco but in AZ we call it Rocky Point.)
Question: Since I can split up my week into 4 weekday and 3 weekend, would Dec. be a good time to rent out my timeshare so cruisers can stay before or after? Or would it be a good time to sell my timeshare there? (Don't have a clue what to sell it for.)
Any suggestions would be helpful.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Someone might rent part of a split week with an 11 day cruise, to make it a 2 week vacation. I don't think they would rent both sides of it. The weather in Rocky Point is pretty much the same as in Phoenix. I have been to PP many times between mid-October to mid-March and it is too cold for the beach and not much to do. I would wait a while and see how the cruise thing actually works out.

I personally do not think the cruise port in Rocky Point is going to be a huge success because it is not easy for people to get there. You have to drive since there are no flights in or out of the airport. When looking are the cruise ship itinerary, it is not too enticing. I have been to Puerto Penasco, Guaymas/San Carlos, Mazatlan, and Cabo. LaPaz, Cabo, and Mazatlan might be good stops, but Guaymas, and the others are more like going to Puerto Penasco.

When thinking of selling, first read your contract about selling it to someone else. It depends on when you purchased it as to how much it costs to transfer it to someone else. No matter what, you will not recoup any of the money that you paid for it and may have to pay additional fees to sell it because they basically closed the resale market down years ago with the 10% of original purchase price, or 5, or 10 MF to transfer to a new owner.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The cruises will very likely be on a line owned by Vidanta. Look up the Vidanta Elegant on the internet. My understanding is that they’ll be potential internal exchanges with Vidanta at the Grand Luxxe level, but no reliable information has come out yet. Unless other, non-Vidanta ships use the port or Vidanta also allows non-owners use of the ships, a fair percentage of the passengers are likely to be able to exchange there already. Too soon to tell how things will work out, though, IMHO.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It is not a Vidanta one.

Arizona News
First cruise ship will depart from Rocky Point in December
By KTAR.com | January 15, 2019 at 5:15 pm
UPDATED: January 15, 2019 at 9:54 pm
cruise-lede.jpg

(Cruise & Maritime Voyages Photo)
PHOENIX – Arizonans dreaming of a cruise vacation will be able to set sail closer to home by the end of the year.

Cruise & Maritime Voyages, a British-based line, announced Monday it will launch the first ship from Rocky Point, Mexico, on Dec. 7.

Rocky Point, also known as Puerto Penasco, has long been a popular destination for Arizona vacationers, who now have another reason to make the trip south.

The drive of around 220 miles from Phoenix to the new port takes less than four hours. The approximately 360-mile drive to catch a cruise ship in San Diego takes close to six hours.

Related Links
According to the Mazatlan Post, officials from the Mexican state of Sonora have been working with Arizona officials for a while to bring a cruise line to Rocky Point.

A ship named the Astoria will make the new excursion – dubbed the Treasures of the Sea of Cortez cruise – and can accommodate 550 passengers.

The voyage lasts 11 nights and stops at seven Gulf of California destinations, including Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, before returning to Rocky Point.

So far, six departures have been scheduled for December 2019 and January 2020, and reservations can be made at the cruise line’s website.

The discounted fares currently available start at $1,399 per person for two travelers.

From Expedia

We've searched more than 400 airlines that we sell, and couldn't find any flights from Phoenix (PHX) to Puerto Penasco (PPE) on Sun, Dec 1, 2019

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Interesting. So there's an existing cruise ship port there? I'd heard Vidanta was building one.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Interesting. So there's an e,listing cruise ship port there? I'd heard Vidanta was building one.

It has been ongoing for years. All the condos advertise about it on the radio. It is near the Sandy Beach Condos. The Vidanta property is 15+ miles from the cruise port. The airport is technically on Vidanta land. It is about a mile from the property. Vidanta built it. I have actually been on the tarmac in a Vidanta Hummer when they were trying to hard sell us full time ownership property there in 2007 or 2008. Frontier did do flights for about a year, but they were only on Friday and there was just one or two and the only route was Vegas. Since then, no way but to drive there.

Think Bucerias with just dirt and sand on 3 sides for 200 miles. That is PP. There is an ocean and a small downtown with restaurants.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Guess I'll have to try it sometime, but it doesn't seem very high on my list. Good snorkeling or anything like that?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Guess I'll have to try it sometime, but it doesn't seem very high on my list. Good snorkeling or anything like that?

No snorkeling has been advertised when we were there. The big deal seems to be renting dune buggies to ride on the sand dunes.

It is a great place for families with small children to play in the sand. Gentle waves and tide pools that are great for building sand castles. When our grandson was small, it was a great place to take him. The MP does have an indoor pool that is heated.

They do have great shrimp. We always bring some home! The small waterfront area with a lot of restaurants has the shrimp market on street level and the miscellaneous trinket shops across the street.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They'll have a long wait for me to try a 20+ y.o. ship that operates in limited itineraries, and the on board currency is the British Pound, and the big activity is afternoon tea. The good news, no kids under 16, and on vacationstogo, two passengers can book for about half the single passenger's rack rate. (75% off) still, few balconies, old ship, and limited itineraries.. . .

I wish them well, but am unlikely to participate.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
....... and the on board currency is the British Pound,

I wish them well, but am unlikely to participate.

Jim

Paying in British Pounds - could be the low cost deal / based on the currency devaluing further
due to Theresa May’s Brexit issues .

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have a one bedroom here. ...
Question: Since I can split up my week into 4 weekday and 3 weekend, would Dec. be a good time to rent out my timeshare so cruisers can stay before or after?
Any suggestions would be helpful.

The split week option at Puerto Penasco Mayan Palace is a good contract addendum .

If this cruise ship concept becomes successful - it could result in a increased market for
Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point rentals . That said ; the Sandy Beach condos that have a management company -rental component - are a lot closer to where the cruise terminal
will be located .

I believe summer is the peak season occupancy time in Puerto Penasco and is likely the
best rental season .

Selling your TS contract for a profit is unlikely . Pittle / Phyllis outlined the reasons above .