• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach Place Tower - Unreasonable Housekeeping charges after checkout

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There is no binder in our Marriott's Ocean Pointe unit, just so you all know. I looked around this morning and saw nothing here.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Perhaps for those who rent from Marriott, expecting it to be used like a hotel room is reflected in the rental rate and this covers any extra housekeeping costs?
For owners, if housekeeping need to do any more than the basic standard of service by way of clearing up, washing up...etc in all units this would likely result in increased Maintenance Fees.
I would rather clear away / wash up myself, just as I would at home (I see MVC as a second home) and not have higher Maintenance Fees.

Yes, I considered what renters pay and our maintenance fees as well, but Marriott has received several thousands of dollars from those who did not buy resale. However, my main point is that making sure that there should be a certain standard of cleanliness that each unit should have. That needs to be monitored by Marriott and not by the person who stayed in the unit last. Their housekeeping staff should be ensuring that those dishes are cleaned in the dishwasher. I do put my things in the dishwasher, but if I do or don’t Marriott’s housekeeping staff should be going behind me to make sure it’s clean to the expected standard.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have notice on more then one occasion and at various resorts that when I check in and fill out a form containing my car info, it is listed on the form I will be charged x amount if I leave the unit late or x amount if they have to do excessive cleaning. Usually you have to initial and sign. How many do not read the form they are signing during check in?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can remember back twenty plus years ago;. you have to place all dirty dishes, silverware, pot & pans in the dishwasher & start it, next you had to strip the bed linen and places all dirty linen & towels in the bathroom.
Finally you had to take out the trash. :eek:

Now all that has changed... Thanks you.

Back in the day there was no MasterCorp for housekeeping services. Every resort hired their own housekeeping staff.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can remember back twenty plus years ago;. you have to place all dirty dishes, silverware, pot & pans in the dishwasher & start it, next you had to strip the bed linen and places all dirty linen & towels in the bathroom.

Back in the day there was no MasterCorp for housekeeping services. Every resort hired their own housekeeping staff.
Lots of timeshares still require what you listed.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the differences are the ones that make you do a lot are often the one with laminate kitchen counters and have MFs around $400 for a 1 BR and $500 for a 2 BR vs the ones that charge $1000-$1400 for a typical 2 BR unit.

The ones with the $700-900 per 2 BR are moving more and more to requiring less from the occupant, possibly based on feedback from exchangers or owners who are also use to staying at resorts that don't require the extra work.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the differences are the ones that make you do a lot are often the one with laminate kitchen counters and have MFs around $400 for a 1 BR and $500 for a 2 BR vs the ones that charge $1000-$1400 for a typical 2 BR unit.

The ones with the $700-900 per 2 BR are moving more and more to requiring less from the occupant, possibly based on feedback from exchangers or owners who are also use to staying at resorts that don't request the extra work.
I own a few that require you to put towels in tub, pull sheets, throw out garbage and they are upgraded in prime areas with high ratings. I also have traded into some too. If it’s a nice unit in a good place I don’t mind doing it. It takes just a few minutes.

What the op described happened at a Marriott. I doubt a high end resort like Marriott would charge an extra cleaning fee for no reason. Either they were charged incorrectly and the cleaning fee should have been charged for another unit or it was left in disarray even though they don’t think it was.

I would hope Marriott has time dated video photos to prove why excessive cleaning fees were charged showing them entering room with it showing the unit number. From now on I might just do that just in case I am incorrectly charged.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was talking about stripping of the sheets something that was more common 20 years ago and you said lots of timeshares still have requirements including: place all dirty dishes, silverware, pot & pans in the dishwasher & start it, next you had to strip the bed linen and places all dirty linen & towels in the bathroom.
Finally you had to take out the trash.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always throw out the garbage and recycling and pile the towels in/by the tub. I also load and run the dishwasher right before departure. Never, ever even thought of stripping the bedding.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

And you had to count every dish and silverware to make sure nothing was missing. I'm glad those days are gone, at least for Marriott. However, I am frequently finding that pots and pans or other items are missing when I check in, especially the non-stick pans

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And some even more. I too have done many a checklist for room items and had to turn them in.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If the charge was for what the OP says, it is unreasonable and unjustified. We normally leave the unit in good condition, but never once in 30 years of timesharing have I seen "rules" that REQUIRE you to even do things like load the dishwasher and take out the trash. That is a request to help housekeeping and not a requirement. I once asked at a Marriott resort how many people actually did these things and was told maybe half of all guests.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the charge was for what the OP says, it is unreasonable and unjustified. We normally leave the unit in good condition, but never once in 30 years of timesharing have I seen "rules" that REQUIRE you to even do things like load the dishwasher and take out the trash. That is a request to help housekeeping and not a requirement. I once asked at a Marriott resort how many people actually did these things and was told maybe half of all guests.

This is a good point, the question is whether or not it's a requirement and not a suggestion. I will carefully read the wording when I get to DSV2, and I'll also ask the front desk what the policy actually is.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can remember reading something about about checking out instructions at SurfWatch in November 2018.

Was it in a binder? I cannot remember . We just telephone the front desk telling them,we were leaving and left the villa keys on the kitchen counter top. SOP

To be honest, SurfWatch is an “Outstanding Resort.” We hated to leave. I know that is not what this thread is about.:bawl: Shame on me.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been a really helpful thread.

I would agree that a $250 fee is unreasonable, and probably unenforceable unless it is clearly spelled out ahead of time, not merely buried in some documents. I was under the impression that that kind of fee was reserved for smoking in a unit, which I could understand.

I always run the dishwasher because that takes 2-3 hours, and I understand the rationale.

But I haven't been very conscientious about emptying the trash and refrigerator. First, I remember my sainted Irish Catholic mother telling me it is a mortal sin to discard perfectly good beer. And, frankly, dumping out trash seems to be a rather basic housekeeping function.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I guess we're in the minority here. When we bought our first Marriott over 20 years ago, there were instructions in the unit to load the dishwasher, strip sheets from beds, gather towels, empty refrigerator and trash. We still do all that except I usually don't strip the sheets off the beds anymore. We bought at Barony and there were instructions in the unit. There also used to be an unit inventory card, especially the kitchen items. We find this is hit and miss now as we stay at other MVC locations. Wish there was some standard procedure across the board. But of course this is Marriott and nothing seems to be standardized anymore. Someplaces (I remember Monarch) have a binder with instructions on how to operate all appliances which is very detailed. We've encountered this binder at a few other locations. I guess we're the old guard that is rapidly dying off.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Generally, there are written instructions in the unit that say that it is the guest's responsibility to load the dishwasher and leave the kitchen clean. This is the standard in the industry, so no, I don't believe you have any recourse.

Apparently Vistana is not following the industry standard. I've owned Vistana since 2007 and that is not a Vistana requirement.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have learned from this thread as well. I have owned Vistana since 2005. In Maui, the only option for trash removal is calling housekeeping. There were no instructions on how to leave the kitchen. I always considered my stays to be more like staying in a hotel than a vacation rental requiring me to perform housekeeping. I do not leave the place a mess, and I do leave at least $20tip at the end of the week, plus tip at the mid-week tidy. I am happy that most resorts I visit now have food pantry options in the lobby but the first few years I would leave the food in hopes housekeeping could make use of it. What I have learned from this site is to always start the dishwasher before I check out. That makes sense from a timing perspective, but I must say, in the back of my mind, I had hoped that housekeeping would come through the kitchen and ensure that all dishes were washed, not rely on the guests as a matter of cleanliness.

I think the lesson I have learned is that all of the timeshares are not consistent in policies, and with Marriott taking over Vistana, expectations may change as well. I think I have read that some locations don't even provide a mid-week tidy? I do not have much experience with Marriott timeshares although I have rented a few, and recently purchased one, so I need to learn.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the lesson I have learned is that all of the timeshares are not consistent in policies, and with Marriott taking over Vistana, expectations may change as well. I think I have read that some locations don't even provide a mid-week tidy? I do not have much experience with Marriott timeshares although I have rented a few, and recently purchased one, so I need to learn.

I have not received a mid week tidy in years, for a single week that is, in MVCI.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not received a mid week tidy in years, for a single week that is, in MVCI.
It does vary by region.
We have a mid week tidy in Spain and a daily tidy in Phuket.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does vary by region.
We have a mid week tidy in Spain and a daily tidy in Phuket.

Yep, I meant in the US, I did recall one in Spain.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
According to our preferences email from Tiber Lodge, here is the cost for mid-week full cleaning, by size:
Full Service: Villa cleaned, beds remade with fresh linens, towels replenished, all amenities re-stocked.
Guest Unit $30
1 Bedroom $50
2 Bedroom $90

So, $250 for cleaning the kitchen is beyond excessive.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Each Vistana resort provides a mid-week tidy if the timeshare is rented for seven days or more.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we've gotten them in HI and we definitely did in Aruba last week, I'm trying to recall if we did at Ocean Pointe. Nothing for Orlando or SC (either location) that I recall and nothing for Legend's Edge. d