• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traded for Maui

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I just got an II trade for Maui MM1 using my MDSV-1 studio to get a 2BR but I think my luck ended there with HTOGA. I wish I was wrong but am pretty sure that translates to Garden View. What are the chances I'm going to be looking at the parking structure? Is there any distinction between Island View and Garden View? One of the diagrams I found on this site shows "Island View" in Napili and "Garden View" in Lahaina. Do they stick pretty close to that? Anyone have any luck sweet talking the check in lady?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an II trade for Maui MM1 using my MDSV-1 studio to get a 2BR but I think my luck ended there with HTOGA. I wish I was wrong but am pretty sure that translates to Garden View. What are the chances I'm going to be looking at the parking structure? Is there any distinction between Island View and Garden View? One of the diagrams I found on this site shows "Island View" in Napili and "Garden View" in Lahaina. Do they stick pretty close to that? Anyone have any luck sweet talking the check in lady?
In my experience they have been black and white on the view the last couple of years. I have specific experience with Maui, Ko Olina, Waiohai and Aruba and all have been absolute about it. And that's with visits where we had to change rooms and/or with multiple concurrent weeks where we were quite separated at Ko Olina and Aruba.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow, what a great trade!! I would be just fine with the garden view with that trade....a studio for a 2 bedroom! When are you going? Your studio had to be a high demand week, I assume. I had an ongoing request and still do with a Grand Vista 1 bedroom for MM1 for September (even though I already got a 2 bedroom at MMO with a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau) .

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Anyone have any luck sweet talking the check in lady?

Check-in lady? No way. You can try with the Room Control person several weeks before checkin. I think you can find their number or email address here on TUG, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
wow, what a great trade!! I would be just fine with the garden view with that trade....a studio for a 2 bedroom! When are you going? Your studio had to be a high demand week, I assume. I had an ongoing request and still do with a Grand Vista 1 bedroom for MM1 for September (even though I already got a 2 bedroom at MMO with a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau) .
Check in is Aug 25, not sure if that's a high demand week or not, honestly I was expecting Apr/May or Sep/Oct. Am very happy just to have the opportunity to land a MM1. I haven't tried the process to submit a request and wait, which people say is a better way. I heard they fulfill the ongoing requests first, so I'm not really sure how that works. How I've been successful is logging in and doing a search. There seem to be patterns where new inventory is to be released to II so I try to check when I think those times might be. I own a White week at Desert Springs which I split in II, never thought of it as a high demand, but for that studio I have gotten ocean view at MMO (twice) and Penthouse Ocean View at Ko Olina, never by request, always logging in and checking inventory.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check in is Aug 25, not sure if that's a high demand week or not, honestly I was expecting Apr/May or Sep/Oct. Am very happy just to have the opportunity to land a MM1. I haven't tried the process to submit a request and wait, which people say is a better way. I heard they fulfill the ongoing requests first, so I'm not really sure how that works. How I've been successful is logging in and doing a search. There seem to be patterns where new inventory is to be released to II so I try to check when I think those times might be. I own a White week at Desert Springs which I split in II, never thought of it as a high demand, but for that studio I have gotten ocean view at MMO (twice) and Penthouse Ocean View at Ko Olina, never by request, always logging in and checking inventory.

My experience has been the same as yours. Traded a few years back just like you, but DSV2 studio.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
You can add eplus to this trade and keep searching for another unit almost up until check in day. If anything is to pop up, I would expect something in the weeks preceding check in when the late cancellations happen. It's a gamble for sure and you won't know the view category until to finalize the trade, but it's your only solid way to move up to a different view category, although even then they are not obligated to give you the view category on the confirmation.

You could also ask for any garden view room that doesn't face the parking structure. Perhaps that will be an easier assignment for the room controller than switching you to another view category. Exchanging is always a crap shoot. Sometimes you get an amazing unit, sometimes you don't, but using a Desert Springs studio is a very inexpensive trade, so you have already received a lot of benefit from this exchange.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Mountain/Garden View in Maui is generally better than Island View. With that view, OP will get Lahaina Tower, because Napili has only ocean front and island views. Lahaina has ocean front, ocean view and mountain/garden views, but no island views.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
You can add eplus to this trade and keep searching for another unit almost up until check in day. If anything is to pop up, I would expect something in the weeks preceding check in when the late cancellations happen. It's a gamble for sure and you won't know the view category until to finalize the trade, but it's your only solid way to move up to a different view category, although even then they are not obligated to give you the view category on the confirmation.

You could also ask for any garden view room that doesn't face the parking structure. Perhaps that will be an easier assignment for the room controller than switching you to another view category. Exchanging is always a crap shoot. Sometimes you get an amazing unit, sometimes you don't, but using a Desert Springs studio is a very inexpensive trade, so you have already received a lot of benefit from this exchange.

I did add eplus but then cancelled and had II give me a credit. Someone else on here, much more knowledgeable than I, suggested that when exchanging Marriott to Marriott you don't need to pay for eplus.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did add eplus but then cancelled and had II give me a credit. Someone else on here, much more knowledgeable than I, suggested that when exchanging Marriott to Marriott you don't need to pay for eplus.

Well, that can be true, depends on your ownership and what you want to do. I presume you are an enrolled member? Even if you are, eplus can come in handy under certain circumstances. For example, you decide to retrade for whatever reason that comes up, but to a non Marriott. Not sure I would want to retrade your great trade though!

pioneer girl

Reaction score
Congratulations! That is a fabulous trade. In my trades into Ko Olina, never gotten an OV or OF, but had varying degrees of views where the ocean was visible when sitting on the balcony.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I got a similar trade bet of Dec. 2 years ago. We were assigned a ground floor room. I had requested a higher floor from room placement. At least it wasn’t parking lot, but strictly garden.
Fabulous resort, despite the rain while we were there.