• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alerts without emails?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
i want to see all alerts via the alerts link on top of tug, but no emails. How?

Reactions: Xan

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I don’t get emails... if you click on alerts in pop up their is a preference for alerts. All mine are checked.

Don’t know if this will help or not. I really didn’t see anywhere to turn on or off emails.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alerts are all checked for mine as well, and there is a preference under preferences that says "and receive email notifications of replies" and mine is not checked, but I get an email for each and every alert. Not sure where to turn it off!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Alerts are all checked for mine as well, and there is a preference under preferences that says "and receive email notifications of replies" and mine is not checked, but I get an email for each and every alert. Not sure where to turn it off!
This is how I have mine set, I get all alerts and no email.
92F3354F-DBFC-45E2-B867-A5883CDB25B5.jpeg
32982F4A-C5D1-44C9-A709-FDDD403DA80E.jpeg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
which email notifications are you getting (that you dont want)?

just watched forum/thread replies or posts? or something else?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want any email for replies to a watched thread, but I DO want alerts to show up on TUG. Panina shows her auto watch as unchecked, I do want to auto watch, I just don't want the emails. That second box is unchecked on mine and I expected that to stop them but it does not.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm..mine is setup the same way (box not checked) and I do not get alert emails like that..only the forum alerts themselves. i will have to look into this further.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that looking in your account preferences I do see that you have it configured to automatically watch and get alerts for any threads you create or reply to...perhaps its just these that are triggering the emails as you are somehow "auto-subscribing" to any thread you participate in?

(i have that feature turned off on my settings, its the only difference I can find sofar)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alerts, I define alerts as being the "alert" link in the top right of the tug web forum, where it shows how many alerts you have. I DO want those, if I reply to any thread, I want to be subscribed, and I want to know someone responded via that alert. What I do not want is an email for every single time someone responds to a watched thread.

is that possible? Without an email, and, without an alert on your site, I'd have no idea someone responded.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it should be yes, without that first box checked (either of them)

it just wouldnt "automatically" watch threads etc and send you email alerts. afaik you still get alerts in the top corner to any replies to your posts etc (at least thats how mine works)

you will likely need to go in and "unsubscribe" to the various watched threads that you wish to stop getting email alerts for as a test. I dont think that any setting within your profile will prevent those from sending you email notifications once you have already subscribed to them...but it should be easy to test.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think perhaps it may be a terminology thing.

alert should only describe whats on the forum...an email notification should be a totally different item (at least if im reading it correctly)

I do NOT choose to auto subscribe to any forum post, or thread I type/create/edit/etc...that setting is turned off..and thus I get no email notifications about them (only the one or two forums I actively subscribe to).

however even without subscribing I still get forum ALERTS (ie top right hand corner) for any post/reply/conversation/etc on threads that I have replied to if someone quotes/replies to one of my posts directly.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ok this setting might work for you (hopefully its a user setting not an admin one)

if you click at the top of the page "watched threads" or "watched forums" you should see a drop down menu at the bottom that would allow you to disable email alerts to whatever thread/forum you wish.

it appears you can check one or as many as you like etc to configure all at once.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is terminology, so, Panina is correct. Subscribing refers to email, alerts refers to on site. I have adjusted the 18 pages of threads I was subscribed to (there is a link in the upper right for manage threads that allowed me to do so in one simple click). We shall see!

Thanks all.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
The setting to automatically subscribe to emails for watched thread is under preferences (not alert preferences):
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?account/preferences
upload_2019-1-14_2-26-14.png

Note, this preference applies at the time you create or reply to a thread, so changing this setting doesn't apply retroactively.

To change the email setting for existing watched thread/forums, you have to click Watched Thread or Forums:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?watched/threads
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?watched/forums

From there you can enable or disable email notifications for all watched threads/forums or selected thread/forums.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think it is terminology, so, Panina is correct. Subscribing refers to email, alerts refers to on site. I have adjusted the 18 pages of threads I was subscribed to (there is a link in the upper right for manage threads that allowed me to do so in one simple click). We shall see!

Thanks all.
The way I showed you my set up, is what you are looking for. If I wasn’t getting all my alerts without emails, I would have been confused on how to set it up. The terminology on selecting is confusing. Hopefully it works for you like it has for me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that it seems to work as I wanted, thank you all, how to I NOT get in alert for a thread I responded to, but drags on and on and on? I tried "ignore thread", didn't seem to stop the alerts unless it takes a bit to take effect?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
likely going ot have to go into "Watched threads" and disable the alert for that thread individually.

I believe with the settings above you are automatically subscribing to any thread you post or reply to?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
You are notified of replies to watched threads and/or forums. "Ignore thread" just avoids showing it to you, but doesn't change the back end stuff. To stop getting notified, you need to UN-watch the thread or forum in question.
  • While logged on, click on your name in the blue bar near the top of the page.
  • In the left column, click on Watched Threads.
  • You may have some unread watched threads so click on Show all watched threads.
  • Click the box for one or more thread you no longer want to watch.
  • In the drop-down picklist below the thread list, choose Stop Watching Threads.
  • Click the GO button.
OR ...

When viewing a watched thread, just click Unwatch Thread above the top post on the page.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
likely going ot have to go into "Watched threads" and disable the alert for that thread individually.

I believe with the settings above you are automatically subscribing to any thread you post or reply to?

I do not have automatically watched turned on any more.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I used to get a daily summary of the sighting forum. Now I get a separate email for every post in that forum. How do i go back to the daily summary ?