• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just got confirmed to Marriott's Maui Lahaina and Napili, and the resort code is island view...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Does that mean I could get a view of a parking structure? What is the worst view one can get at the Marriott?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Island view is only in Napili, but as an II trade you could get anything in Lahaina or Napili, but most likely Napili.

Island view is nice, if upper floor. More view issues in Lahaina or old building.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-pMXGQ/i-9gGBLQV/A

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Congrats, I do think that will be in Napili tower (likely a lower floor) but the unit itself will be terrific. I hope you can use it and enjoy your trip!

Best,

Greg

PS - I would call ahead a few weeks before check in and tell them you are a Marriott owner and that you want highest floor possible. They should know all of that, but it can't hurt?????

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Island View from the Napili building is terrific. Only if on the lower floors would you be facing the parking lot. The structure is low, not quite two stories high, so you wouldn't in any case be facing directly into it. The view of the golf course, and if higher, the hills of Maui will be great. You won't be able to see the ocean at all, but sunrises are spectacular.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thank you all.

It's for our son. We will be at Hono Koa. We will go and check them into the unit, so we can request an upper floor. I am excited for him. He is looking forward to getting away from his store for a bit, and his manager will have to make do without him. We decided if no match came through, we could all stay at Hono Koa the entire time. The pool is a lot more special for the baby, who will be two by then.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I ask how when this week is and how long you waited for the trade to come thru? I have never traded for Maui but now have a pending request as we have a wedding to go there in September. I already have airline tickets and feeling somewhat anxious since I have never traded for Maui.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an Island View 1 Bedroom for May 11, 2019. It took me about 4 months to get the exchange.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I have an Island View 1 Bedroom for May 11, 2019. It took me about 4 months to get the exchange.

Can I ask how when this week is and how long you waited for the trade to come thru? I have never traded for Maui but now have a pending request as we have a wedding to go there in September. I already have airline tickets and feeling somewhat anxious since I have never traded for Maui.

Using what for a trade?

For context, I historically tried for whale season on Maui with a Week 15, 1BR, Vail Streamside...end of snow, start of mud. Until the last few years, it would not match until 30-90 days out. May/Sept should be much easier, but depends on trader...

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually have 2 pending requests . Using 1 bedroom Easter week Grande Vista and 1 bedroom Easter week Grand Chateau but requesting a 2 bedroom. Wondering how long I wait before willing to accept a 1 bedroom .

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Dean might have a better sense of the strength of GV for Maui, but my sense is many owners lock off and trade or rent their studio, leaving few 2BR available.

Another aspect is that II has told me that Hawaii owners deposit late, presumably because the value is so high they can wait quite a while before making a decision. While a long shot I assume you have both MM0 and MM1 (new towers) in your request.

I’d request both 1BR and 2BR and see which hits first, as you can always throw the 1BR back within 24 hrs. Or add the 1 BR to the request in March.

DanaTom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I do miss the good 'ol days of just 5 yrs ago. In one year, we traded into 3 separate one bdrm units in Lahaina bldg. Island, Garden and Ocean view units. Requests each took about one month... started request in June, November and January for an Early March visit. Then, the following year, requested in August and a month later landed one of those scarce Ocean Front 1 bdrm units for the following July 4th week. But, nowadays, it's much tougher to get a trade. Congrats on your trade... Your son will Enjoy!

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my trade yesterday! 2 bedroom/ 3 bath unit in older section MMO, the unit code says ocean view (hope so). Ended up doing "request first" with a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau unit and the trade came thru in 5 days. Interestingly looks like it is a developer deposit. (unit code HZZAA) .

I know the kitchen is very limited there. I read on tripadvisor that the units now have a full size fridge. True? Since no burners I was thinking about bringing a portable burner, a frying pan and a pot , lol. Crazy?
Regardless, very excited to go there, never been.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got my trade yesterday! 2 bedroom/ 3 bath unit in older section MMO, the unit code says ocean view (hope so). Ended up doing "request first" with a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau unit and the trade came thru in 5 days. Interestingly looks like it is a developer deposit. (unit code HZZAA) .

I know the kitchen is very limited there. I read on tripadvisor that the units now have a full size fridge. True? Since no burners I was thinking about bringing a portable burner, a frying pan and a pot , lol. Crazy?

Congrats! Yes, the fridge in the 2BR is standard size now. It's sort of located in the entrance hallway, but still... I was fine with it there. No washer and dryer though; you need to haul your laundry down to the (very large) laundry room at pool level. The reason there's no stove/oven is because this used to be a hotel, and when they converted it to a timeshare, there would need to be a firewall between the units to have stoves (fire code) and since there wasn't (and it was too expansive to add) they left out the stoves. I'd call and ask if it's OK to bring in a hotplate. It might not be allowed because of the firewall thing. The outdoor grills are nice.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you want to do some cooking, there is a communal kitchen downstairs with several stoves, so there is no need for a hotplate.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to do some cooking, there is a communal kitchen downstairs with several stoves, so there is no need for a hotplate.

I assume they have pots and pans in this communal kitchen?
Another question....is parking free?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Still no ovens in the communal kitchen?

If you do bring a portable burner, just hid it on HK tidy day :). You could also get a portable induction cooktop. Those would be safer since if accidentally left on, they produce no heat.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
What is the current experience with view categories at MMO? Are they using the view category on the confirmation or shuffling views to accommodate other reservation types? I don't really care either way, just wondering what people are experiencing these days.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Pots and pans are in the unit, but they are for use with an induction cooktop. We always take a single burner induction cooktop and use the unit's pots and pans. Self parking is free.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean might have a better sense of the strength of GV for Maui, but my sense is many owners lock off and trade or rent their studio, leaving few 2BR available.

Another aspect is that II has told me that Hawaii owners deposit late, presumably because the value is so high they can wait quite a while before making a decision. While a long shot I assume you have both MM0 and MM1 (new towers) in your request.

I’d request both 1BR and 2BR and see which hits first, as you can always throw the 1BR back within 24 hrs. Or add the 1 BR to the request in March.

I actually have 2 pending requests . Using 1 bedroom Easter week Grande Vista and 1 bedroom Easter week Grand Chateau but requesting a 2 bedroom. Wondering how long I wait before willing to accept a 1 bedroom .
I've traded in several times using Willow Ridge studios and 1 BR. I get the best unit I can, deposit as early as possible and request at lest 13 plus months out. Last time I got a studio in the older section and regraded to get a 1 BR in the older section, both MV. A 2 BR is quite a bit tougher trade IMO. If a 1 BR will work, I wouldn't wait as you might not get anything. Sept after the holiday is quite a bit easier though. If a 1 BR will work and you want to gamble, put in for a full kitchen and 1 BR rather than a 2 BR.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've traded in several times using Willow Ridge studios and 1 BR. I get the best unit I can, deposit as early as possible and request at lest 13 plus months out. Last time I got a studio in the older section and regraded to get a 1 BR in the older section, both MV. A 2 BR is quite a bit tougher trade IMO. If a 1 BR will work, I wouldn't wait as you might not get anything. Sept after the holiday is quite a bit easier though. If a 1 BR will work and you want to gamble, put in for a full kitchen and 1 BR rather than a 2 BR.

I ended up using a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau unit, did request first and got confirmed for a 2 bedroom unit in 5 days (unit code says ocean view). Nothing was happening with the one bedrooms and hated the gamble. We couldn't be flexible with the dates either since we have a wedding to go to. So all booked now, flights with mileage and a 2 bedroom unit so we are happy even with the limited kitchen. Needed a 2 bedroom since 2 couples going.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up using a 2 bedroom Grand Chateau unit, did request first and got confirmed for a 2 bedroom unit in 5 days (unit code says ocean view). Nothing was happening with the one bedrooms and hated the gamble. We couldn't be flexible with the dates either since we have a wedding to go to. So all booked now, flights with mileage and a 2 bedroom unit so we are happy even with the limited kitchen. Needed a 2 bedroom since 2 couples going.

What is the date of your trade? I have an ongoing request for August using a 2 bedroom grand vista for both Maui and Kauai but no luck yet

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the date of your trade? I have an ongoing request for August using a 2 bedroom grand vista for both Maui and Kauai but no luck yet

I placed the request last Sunday 1/6 and the exchange was confirmed on Friday 1/11. The unit was a bulk deposit. (unit code HZZAA). August is probably in higher demand. We needed to be there for Sept 12th wedding and got Sept 8th check in date so that is perfect for us.