• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Years Resolution

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I do that and I am still fat...SMH...
I get it. For me it is a constant struggle too. I prefer to say beautifully padded or fluffy. For those of us that do everything right but genetically or age wise struggle with weight it is a luxury of growing older. Whatever weight we are it only a small part of who we are.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I get it. For me it is a constant struggle too. I prefer to say beautifully padded or fluffy. For those of us that do everything right but genetically or age wise struggle with weight it is a luxury of growing older. Whatever weight we are it only a small part of who we are.

But how wonderful if the magic weight fairy would swoop down, touch me with her wand, and say "You will forever more be happy with the weight that you are!" Even on the rare times I was slender (for no more than 18 months at a time, and more often for six months) I was constantly worrying about my weight or what I was eating that I shouldn't if I wanted to maintain. Getting older does take lots of the "what if I were skinny my life would change" crap away. The issue now for me is "what if I finally lost just 25 pounds, and could keep it off, would my pain level change?" I am so miserable with back pain these days, it certainly can't hurt to take some weight off.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I understand why so many of us list personal improvement goals (weight loss, improved health, etc.) as our new years resolutions but wouldn't it be great if we all just resolved to "TRY to be nicer" to the people around us. I am always saddened by the way family members treat each other, the way "friends" act and snipe at their friends, and the overall lack of civility shown in our day to day interactions with the world and those among us (believe me, commuting to NYC each day I see plenty of it). I know this is asking a lot of people (and especially ourselves) and its much harder if we are the only ones resolving this, but wouldn't most of us have a better chance of continuing this resolution past the February dates we stopped going to the gym?
Happy and HEALTHY New Year to all!
Brian

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
But how wonderful if the magic weight fairy would swoop down, touch me with her wand, and say "You will forever more be happy with the weight that you are!" Even on the rare times I was slender (for no more than 18 months at a time, and more often for six months) I was constantly worrying about my weight or what I was eating that I shouldn't if I wanted to maintain. Getting older does take lots of the "what if I were skinny my life would change" crap away. The issue now for me is "what if I finally lost just 25 pounds, and could keep it off, would my pain level change?" I am so miserable with back pain these days, it certainly can't hurt to take some weight off.

So understand. Last year when I lost weight, I also worked on strengthening up my areas that hurt and were weak. I had difficulty walking steps too. As the weight came off getting my muscles stronger was easier to do. Then life changed in a moment, I fell over a mat that had a kink in it at a hiking visitor center, bruised all over, sprained ankle, pain in back and neck and the weight came back on as my movement was so limited for months due to pain.

Worked on the mobility knowing without it the weight for me will not get lower. What I am happy about is I am still strong. I can do steps, I am alive. I hit my head so hard I was so lucky it wasn’t worse. I would choose strong with mobility and beautifully padded over skinny and weak any day. Of course the optimum is to have a strong body and healthy weight.

So here I go again trying to get to a healthier weight but aware that I am fortunate to be strong and able to have movement without pain most of the time.

Don’t give up, move as much as you can.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So understand. Last year when I lost weight, I also worked on strengthening up my areas that hurt and were weak. I had difficulty walking steps too. As the weight came off getting my muscles stronger was easier to do. Then life changed in a moment, I fell over a mat that had a kink in it at a hiking visitor center, bruised all over, sprained ankle, pain in back and neck and the weight came back on as my movement was so limited for months due to pain.

Worked on the mobility knowing without it the weight for me will not get lower. What I am happy about is I am still strong. I can do steps, I am alive. I hit my head so hard I was so lucky it wasn’t worse. I would choose strong with mobility and beautifully padded over skinny and weak any day. Of course the optimum is to have a strong body and healthy weight.

So here I go again trying to get to a healthier weight but aware that I am fortunate to be strong and able to have movement without pain most of the time.

Don’t give up, move as much as you can.

Yes. Going through some of that myself. I do exercise 5 days per week for an hour and do some yoga on the weekends, in addition to my cleaning house every other wknd. But I am so slowed down now with this leg problem. And-not working anymore I am not moving around as much as I used to during the day.

But with me, I have to eat like a bird in order to lose weight and i just don't feel like I want to. I just want to eat normal, simple meals. I am not a pig out by any means, though I do have my moments. And I do not snack during the day or after dinner.

I am going to try to just cut back here and there- like no lunch during the week- that could help. Just two meals.

Leave Saturday as my "cheat" day.

Meanwhile, right now we have so much chocolate in our house it isn't even funny- all were gifts. Not good.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Never understood New Years Resolutions. If you think you need to do something about something, go do it. Why wait?

I do observe the increase in people at the Rec Center after New Year that somehow dwindles back to the regulars by the end of the month:D

Cheers

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Yes. Going through some of that myself. I do exercise 5 days per week for an hour and do some yoga on the weekends, in addition to my cleaning house every other wknd. But I am so slowed down now with this leg problem. And-not working anymore I am not moving around as much as I used to during the day.

But with me, I have to eat like a bird in order to lose weight and i just don't feel like I want to. I just want to eat normal, simple meals. I am not a pig out by any means, though I do have my moments. And I do not snack during the day or after dinner.

I am going to try to just cut back here and there- like no lunch during the week- that could help. Just two meals.

Leave Saturday as my "cheat" day.

Meanwhile, right now we have so much chocolate in our house it isn't even funny- all were gifts. Not good.
So, I empathize with you. I had been running occasionally (once or twice a week) with a neighbor and taking Pilates classes. I did a very difficult Zenga stance last December and on the step down, wrenched my right knee. I hobbled for weeks and slowly, slowly can walk up and down stairs without pain. I continued with the Pilates trying to strengthen my knee. I also stopped running as the impact was horrendous on that knee. I gained weight back and I sigh when I look in the mirror. I am still doing the Pilates and adding the cardio. Last year, I could not ski at all. It is a slow process but it takes patience and I am grateful that I can still workout. As to the weight, I am trying to to do the crazy diets or cleanses that everyone does for the month of January.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My 2019 goals are to eat healthy consistently (high protein, low carb), to get my body stronger so I can better enjoy skiing and life in general, to joyfully work on my businesses, and to enjoy exploring the world by being really present and alive when we travel this year. Note I said goals and not resolutions. For me, goals are motivating and it is more natural to have annual goals rather than a New Year’s Resolution.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope for something good and yummy. Enjoy.

And the alcohol is Boyden Winery Maple Reserve- an apple wine with a little maple syrup. Sweet- but crisp. On glass #3. LOL! Talk about sugar weight!

It was that or a pumpkin spice martini with vodka, Kahlua and pumpkin spice liquor. Ha! Ha! Will save that for another time!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be off to a great start, weight wise.

I normally lose a couple of pounds on a cruise doing what we normally do, gym everyday as usual, eating less carbs - cruise ship entrees tend to come with very little carbs and I usually skip desserts, and lots of walking on shore excursions. This Dec we were away for 27 days, including a 14-night cruise. Unfortunately my husband came down with a cold on Day 5 and we did not make it the gym until we came back. I put on 3 lbs while on the trip and got home last Thursday. Starting from the flight back, I started to eat less and the 3 lbs just came off less than a week after the trip. Now I need to continue to eat less to lose another 10-15 lbs. I am not fat but I should lose some weight, with a bad knee and back, not to mention cholesterol and blood pressure issues.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I may be off to a great start, weight wise.

I normally lose a couple of pounds on a cruise doing what we normally do, gym everyday as usual, eating less carbs - cruise ship entrees tend to come with very little carbs and I usually skip desserts, and lots of walking on shore excursions. This Dec we were away for 27 days, including a 14-night cruise. Unfortunately my husband came down with a cold on Day 5 and we did not make it the gym until we came back. I put on 3 lbs while on the trip and got home last Thursday. Starting from the flight back, I started to eat less and the 3 lbs just came off less than a week after the trip. Now I need to continue to eat less to lose another 10-15 lbs. I am not fat but I should lose some weight, with a bad knee and back, not to mention cholesterol and blood pressure issues.

Wow! I never heard of LOSING weight on a cruise. The one and only one I went on when I was in my twenties I gained 10 lbs in one week!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
LOL. I think somewhere between lots of exercise and self control to not eat everything is the key.

I exercise every day. I eat food. Problem is I need to eat like a bird but exercise makes me hungry.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found by making a New Year's weight resolution, that several times by April I was actually ready to start and reach my goal by the end of September! Of course fifteen months after that I'm back to another January/April resolution!
Welcome to Procrastinators Anonymous.
"A procrastinator's willpower lies in the fact that he keeps resolutions pending because he strongly feels he wants to do the same – keep them pending." :thumbup:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Welcome to Procrastinators Anonymous...

I didn't get where I am today by doing what I can put off for another day.
IOW, do not do today that which can be done tomorrow.

Last edited:

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Resolutions can be something good! Maybe do something to loosen the purse strings a little bit. This past year my resolution was to eat lunch out once a month, instead of bringing a sack lunch every day. I work near tons of restaurants, and it was nice to pick something out and enjoy it once a month without feeling guilty.

This year is going to be either buying fresh flowers at the grocery store once a month, or getting the car professionally washed once a month. I'm tired of almost always having a dull and dirty car.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Go to the gym more now that I have a silver sneakers membership through my healthcare coverage. I actually enjoy the aqua aerobics classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Go to the gym more now that I have a silver sneakers membership through my healthcare coverage. I actually enjoy the aqua aerobics classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Leave the speedo at home please. ;-)

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
And the alcohol is Boyden Winery Maple Reserve- an apple wine with a little maple syrup. Sweet- but crisp. On glass #3. LOL! Talk about sugar weight!

It was that or a pumpkin spice martini with vodka, Kahlua and pumpkin spice liquor. Ha! Ha! Will save that for another time!
They sound yummy. Did you get the recipe for the pumpkin spice martini??

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
They sound yummy. Did you get the recipe for the pumpkin spice martini??

Actually I should have wrote vanilla vodka for the pumpkin spice martini recipe.

And- the pumpkin spice martini = vanilla vodka, kahlua, pumpkin spice liquor.

OR-

A gingerbread martini- same recipe except with gingerbread liquor instead of pumpkin spice liquor.

My son- who works part-time in a brewery- made me one (actually 2. lol!) during the holidays and I was hooked. But when I went to the liquor store to get the gingerbread liquor to bring home, they were out of it. My son said to just substitute the pumpkin spice liquor instead.

Top either one with a little whipped cream and sprinkle with just a little gingerbread or spice cookie crumbs.

Last edited:

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually I should have wrote vanilla vodka for the pumpkin spice martini recipe.

And- the pumpkin spice martini = vanilla vodka, kahlua, pumpkin spice liquor.

OR-

A gingerbread martini- same recipe except with gingerbread liquor instead of pumpkin spice liquor.

My son- who works part-time in a brewery- made me one (actually 2. lol!) during the holidays and I was hooked. But when I went to the liquor store to get the gingerbread liquor to bring home, they were out of it. My son said to just substitute the pumpkin spice liquor instead.

Top either one with a little whipped cream and sprinkle with just a little gingerbread or spice cookie crumbs.

Still sounds really yummy!

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never made new year’s resolutions. I do pilates twice a week, and do other exercises 3 other days. I am not into all these crazy diets, just try to eat alot of veggies and not snack between.
But this year I have decided to not watch the news on tv. I watch my local news station, and maybe once a day our national tv station, CBC. But I absolutely refuse to watch any American news (sorry) and any other news. I find it becoming too stressful. I also find that there are far too many so called news reporters that do not really do their jobs properly, do not ask the hard questions, and just keep repeating ‘breaking news’ items every half hour, all day.
So, I have been doing this for a while, and I find my days are much better, I concentrate on important things, like my family and friends.