• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Things to do near the Lagunamar

Reaction score
Hi all!

We are returning to the Lagunamar in March and are wondering about local activities. We don't really want to take a long bus ride to anythere that takes the entire day. So, can anyone tell us about local things to do? Is there a water park or other attractions teenagers would like?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is a waterpark beyond the south end of the Hotel Zone. It used to be a Wet n Wild. Not sure if it still is. It would require a bus ride though. There is an aquarium across the street at La Isla and now also a new large Cancun Eye Ferris Wheel there now too.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
take the ferry to swim with the dolphins. They do a nice job.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
take the ferry to swim with the dolphins. They do a nice job.
The ferry to where? Isn't there a dolphin swim directly across the street from Lagunamar at La Isla Shopping Mall?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think it is better to swim with the dolphins at the La Isla mall across the street and take the ferry another day just to visit Isla Mujeres where you can rent a golf cart.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think it is better to swim with the dolphins at the La Isla mall across the street and take the ferry another day just to visit Isla Mujeres where you can rent a golf cart.
I second the trip to Isla Mujeres. You can snorkel there but would be geared more towards beginners. I believe the price going across will be going up a little as they are going to be charging an Island tax in 2019 for tourists.

Also, you will need your drivers license to rent the golf carts. We didn't need to the first time we went but needed them the last time. We didn't know and didn't take ours and we went to a few rental places before we found one that let us rent one without one.

The beach on Isle Mujeres has very few waves also as the Island blocks the natural currents.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
There is LOTS to do in Cancun. Xoximilco just south of the airport is a fun evening.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
also, in case you did not know, several restaurants in in the hotel zone offer 10% discount or free cocktails to Lagunamar guests. I think they have to be booked through the concierge.

We will be there end of February, beginning of March, we can't wait!

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
also, in case you did not know, several restaurants in in the hotel zone offer 10% discount or free cocktails to Lagunamar guests. I think they have to be booked through the concierge.

One of my favorite all time restaurants anywhere Puerto Madero gives 10% off of you just show room key.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite all time restaurants anywhere Puerto Madero gives 10% off of you just show room key.
Thanks, i did not know that. How is Puerto Madero compared to Cambalache?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
One of the most obvious is water sports such as snorkeling and scuba diving. Many dive shops will take you to the Underwater Museum “MUSA” and Manchones Reef. It’s only about 35 feet in depth and clear visibility so it’s an easy scuba dive even for a beginner. If you aren’t into scuba it’s still great for snorkeling. This can be done simply in a morning or afternoon. I know the OP didn’t mention wanting day trips but it’s worth mentioning you can also book day diving and snorkeling trips to Cozumel. Boats will take you from Cancun and back and some are all-inclusive and include lunch. Cozumel has the Meso-American barrier reef - 2nd largest barrier reef in the world only behind the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Water there is clear with visibility 100+ feet and good for shallow or deep scuba diving. The coral reefs and marine life are gorgeous!!!

Most of these water sports will be a fraction of the cost of such parks as Xcaret and Xplor!!!

Last edited:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score

there are multiple restaurants in La Isla as well. We just showed our room key and asked. Cambalache 10%
Hooters 15% La Parilla 10%

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
About the same
Aren't they the same owner? We were a little disappointed by Cambalache this last trip. We ordered rib-eye medium rare and it came out very rare. They took it back and way overcooked it. THey then made us new ones which were cooked right. However, we have determined that they don't salt their steaks before cooking. Everyone knows you need to salt the steak liberally in advance of cooking. It was very bland. Both the overcooked ones we sent back and the ones that were cooked to medium rare. We had to add our own salt, but a steak should be salted before cooking.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aren't they the same owner? We were a little disappointed by Cambalache this last trip. We ordered rib-eye medium rare and it came out very rare. They took it back and way overcooked it. THey then made us new ones which were cooked right. However, we have determined that they don't salt their steaks before cooking. Everyone knows you need to salt the steak liberally in advance of cooking. It was very bland. Both the overcooked ones we sent back and the ones that were cooked to medium rare. We had to add our own salt, but a steak should be salted before cooking.
I guess they had a bad night? we had a fabulous dinner there last year, not just the stakes, every item on the manu that we tried was delicious.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not been wowed by either Madero or Cambalache(they are owned by the same people) so this we picked up some great NY strips from Costco and grilled them at WLR, worked out well. LAst year we had great steaks at Rosa Negre but it was a pricey dinner out