• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX exchanging

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I exchange with SFX every year, normally to get into a Vidanta resort in Mexico.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
SFX is a small company with limited inventory - their strength is Mexico and the West Coast. The 4 big timeshare companies are not affiliated with them (Vistana, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott) so they get very few deposits from the big 4. The big 4 have exclusive deposit agreements with RCI or II.

schenriq

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@richontug, I'm interested on how it's done. My guess is that you reserve your week(*) and provide confirmation to SFX and agree to provide a guest certificate if/when the exact name of the exchanger is known in the future?

(*) week is denominated in Wyndham points. Actual points required for booking varies based on room size and season. May or may_not be your deeded week/UDI? <= I'm not sure about this last point so I phrased it as a question.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@richontug, I'm interested on how it's done. My guess is that you reserve your week(*) and provide confirmation to SFX and agree to provide a guest certificate if/when the exact name of the exchanger is known in the future?

(*) week is denominated in Wyndham points. Actual points required for booking varies based on room size and season. May or may_not be your deeded week/UDI? <= I'm not sure about this last point so I phrased it as a question.
You are correct in the process. SFX has some limitations as to what resorts they will accept. You need to check with them.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I've deposited Wyndham to SFX as well. Great way to use up extra points at the end of a year, particularly when they have special deals going on. It doesn't really matter where you own, so long as you deserve a week at a resort they accept and commit to providing a guest certificate, so find a cheap point resort to deposit. I have also been able to swap out an earlier reservation for one rebooked at a discount for VIP status with Wyndham without any problem. When you initially deposit, forward the email reservation confirmation to them for confirmation you have the week reserved.

If you want to go to Vidanta or a few other spots, SFX is a good way to go due to a long term relationship between the two. They also have a better resort fee arrangement than RCI or II, though there is a quality upgrade fee if you go to Grand Luxxe. I've heard they work with other groups as well, but I'm not sure which ones.

Typically SFX will give you credit for a week deposit that is good for 2 or 3 years and have offers that allow extending the credits for another year with subsequent deposits. They also give bonus weeks for some deposits, allowing you to book a week without a corresponding credit for a higher price.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
SFX is a small company with limited inventory - their strength is Mexico and the West Coast. The 4 big timeshare companies are not affiliated with them (Vistana, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott) so they get very few deposits from the big 4. The big 4 have exclusive deposit agreements with RCI or II.

I see the big 4 advertised in SFX resort directory. I have bonus weeks with SFX and earlier this year they called me about availability at Hilton on the Big Island. I was not able to go by the time they contacted me. I have another request with a bonus week in now for a Marriott Marbella week but my travel dates are super specific so I think it is unlikely to come available.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the thing - the big 4 are not affiliated with SFX, so SFX does't get any bulk space banking from the resort management companies. The vast majority of Big 4 deposit go to RCI or II. You may find a stray owner deposit here and there, but nothing like what RCI and II get.

Hilton on the Big Island is an easy trade - lots of availability, because the Big Island has lots of Hiltons, and far less demand than Maui or Oahu.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
That matches my understanding; with Vidanta, they act as “gatekeeper” for a program that allows owners to book extra vacations (privilege weeks) back into the Vidanta resorts, including for holiday weeks. As a result, SFX has good access to Vidanta inventory.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is the thing - the big 4 are not affiliated with SFX, so SFX does't get any bulk space banking from the resort management companies. The vast majority of Big 4 deposit go to RCI or II. You may find a stray owner deposit here and there, but nothing like what RCI and II get.

Hilton on the Big Island is an easy trade - lots of availability, because the Big Island has lots of Hiltons, and far less demand than Maui or Oahu.

Oh, okay, I understand what you mean now. No bulk deposits by the big 4 developers. It seems like Hilton would be slightly easier to get than the others since Hilton trades with RCI and there is not much of equivalent quality on RCI.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That matches my understanding; with Vidanta, they act as “gatekeeper” for a program that allows owners to book extra vacations (privilege weeks) back into the Vidanta resorts, including for holiday weeks. As a result, SFX has good access to Vidanta inventory.

This is one of my major uses of SFX. You also did not have extra fees charged when you stayed with SFX. I would need to verify if that is still the case.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last time there was a $75 fee with Grand Luxxe; just checked in for Xmas week and didn’t have to pay the fee in advance like we did then. Will know for sure when we check out, but $75 is cheap for a Vidanta resort fee now.