• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ MERGED ] We have until 12/21/18 to rescind...please need honest advice

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
My wife and I have been using a vacation ownership with GPX (Grand Pacific Exchange), which we were given as a gift by our parents for 12 years. It has been wonderful for us! No issues at all. We have been able to visit many places, including Hawaii several times. We also bought a timeshare back east somewhere...about 6 yrs ago...for $300 total online. It's Wyndham points for 126,000 - every other year...probably not a good deal. Although, we have visited Flagstaff many times as we love it there, and can get out of the heat from the Phoenix area. It has worked very well for us so far. However, we recently tried to book Flagstaff again, and it was "Unavailable". I think we did not have enough points.

We were told at a Wyndham presentation several years ago that we will need to "buy-in" with a substantial amount of money sometime in the future, in order to actually be "owners" where we could bring in the GPX (PIC = 154,000 points), and the other timeshare from back east.

So, we just went to a presentation a few days ago in San Diego and we were offered 64,000 points for approx. $13,000 (total cost), with $1200 maintenance fees, and bonus of 64,000 points for next year (2019). They said that we could now use the back east timeshare (126,000 points) every other year, GPX (154,000 points), and the new 64,000 points every year...because we have now "Bought into" Wyndham. There would be a fee of $89 in order to use the PIC (if we wanted to do so).

Is this worth it? Is this the lowest amount I have to purchase?
Do I have to "buy in" with a large amount of money in order to do what they are saying?
Is there a way to buy resale and do the same thing?

NOTE: We have until this Friday 12/21 to rescind. Would love some honest feedback in order to understand all of this. Please help. Thank you in advance.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Absolutely rescind. Even if you were to decide to buy up to VIP level (the only reason to buy directly from Wyndham) and PIC your other timeshare, there are better deals to be had. But in most cases, there’s no reason not to just buy resale if you need more points. Many of us do just fine with our resale ownerships, as you have up to this point.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever there is any uncertainty at all about a timeshare purchase, it is wise to rescind. That gives you the time to research your purchase and decide whether or not it genuinely works for you. 99% of the time, you will be able to get the same deal again if you decide it was what you wanted, so there is very little risk in rescinding. But, if you are uncertain, there is substantial risk that if you do not rescind you will later decide the purchase was a mistake.

Knowing only what I've read so far, I believe rescinding is in your best interests. If you decide you want to have more timeshare assets, you will almost certainly find that buying them resale is a better deal for you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My wife and I have been using a vacation ownership with GPX (Grand Pacific Exchange), which we were given as a gift by our parents for 12 years. It has been wonderful for us! No issues at all. We have been able to visit many places, including Hawaii several times. We also bought a timeshare back east somewhere...about 6 yrs ago...for $300 total online. It's Wyndham points for 126,000 - every other year...probably not a good deal. Although, we have visited Flagstaff many times as we love it there, and can get out of the heat from the Phoenix area. It has worked very well for us so far. However, we recently tried to book Flagstaff again, and it was "Unavailable". I think we did not have enough points.

We were told at a Wyndham presentation several years ago that we will need to "buy-in" with a substantial amount of money sometime in the future, in order to actually be "owners" where we could bring in the GPX (PIC = 154,000 points), and the other timeshare from back east.

So, we just went to a presentation a few days ago in San Diego and we were offered 64,000 points for approx. $13,000 (total cost), with $1200 maintenance fees, and bonus of 64,000 points for next year (2019). They said that we could now use the back east timeshare (126,000 points) every other year, GPX (154,000 points), and the new 64,000 points every year...because we have now "Bought into" Wyndham. There would be a fee of $89 in order to use the PIC (if we wanted to do so).

Do I have to "buy in" with a large amount of money in order to do what they are saying?

NOTE: We have until this Friday 12/21 to rescind. Would love some honest feedback in order to understand all of this. Please help. Thank you in advance.

I would cross-post this (simpler form) in the Wyndham thread as well....you might get more info on the value of the PIC etc...

Sorry I can't help much....but

If you have any doubts, cancel. Why? Anything they give you today...can be bought tomorrow. If you need more time to decide whether this is a valuable purchase for you, then rescind first and decide at leisure. If you wait.....you loose the opportunity to rescind.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I would cross-post this (simpler form) in the Wyndham thread as well....you might get more info on the value of the PIC etc...

If you have any doubts, cancel. Why? Anything they give you today...can be bought tomorrow. If you need more time to decide whether this is a valuable purchase for you, then rescind first and decide at leisure. If you wait.....you loose the opportunity to rescind.
Taterhed (and everyone else above) is giving great advice. When you do rescind, ignore your salesman's request to talk. They want you to stop the recession so they can get their commission.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You only have once chance to rescind. You have a lifetime to rebuy.

Resale with wyndham will save you a significant amount of coin.

64K is not a lot of points.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
[duplicate poste deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now and save a lot of money! Your wallet and bank account will love you for it...

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

The minimum buy-in to do a PIC is 49,000 points per PIC week if you buy through telesales (not the resorts). That will run you about $11k to $12k depending on what you buy. Bentley Brook I hear are the cheapest points out there, so it might be less then that. Their maintenance fees are on the high side but for such a small package, it won’t be that much of a difference compared to CWA. Yes, it’s an $89 fee every time you want to convert, however, you do not have to convert. You can choose to use it as is, or exchange it within RCI for an RCI reservation. If you do those two options, you do not pay the $89 fee, but you still have to pay the program fee that you pay on your other contracts. If you add in the PIC, your total points would be 266,000 a year (I only counted half the EOY contract because that’s how your maintenance fees are charged). You would pay 60 cents per 1,000 points on that PIC even if you don’t convert it. That’s $92.40 a year on top of your other contracts. Without knowing what the maintenance fees are on your other contract, I cannot tell you what your total maintenance fees will be. Also, the new Bentley Brook MF rate has not been reported yet, but I’m going to take a stab and say it’s $8 per 1,000 points. Add in the program fee and it will be about $421 a year. If you get CWA points, it will be an additional $322.91 including program fee.

If it shows no availability, it means there are no rooms available. Even if you have zero points, it will still show you what’s available if there is something available. Availability varies in the seasons. If you tried to brook prime season a few months out, that might be why there was no availability.

If what you have works, stick with it. Don’t buy retail unless you really want to enroll that PIC or go VIP. $300 for an EOY contract is not bad, especially if you didn’t pay closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);

Thank you so much for your reply. I have cross posted this in the Wyndham thread and have received pretty much the same advice. I am rescinding now.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
@Uduhman

Welcome to TUG! Congrats on saving thousands.

Sit back, relax and learn how to enjoy your ownership.....even more in your case!
Not sure what your goals are, but if you submit a few questions and suggestions, you'll get expert answers from friendly Tuggers.

Consider joining Tug....best $15 you'll ever spend.

cheers.

Ever consider a Worldmark contract? Great benefits for west coasters and exchangers. Great resorts and great exchange power on Interval (ok on RCI too).

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
@Uduhman

Welcome to TUG! Congrats on saving thousands.

Sit back, relax and learn how to enjoy your ownership.....even more in your case!
Not sure what your goals are, but if you submit a few questions and suggestions, you'll get expert answers from friendly Tuggers.

Consider joining Tug....best $15 you'll ever spend.

cheers.

Ever consider a Worldmark contract? Great benefits for west coasters and exchangers. Great resorts and great exchange power on Interval (ok on RCI too).

Thanks Taterhed. I will be joining TUG. I have not considered a Worldmark contract...only because we have been to Wyndham many times. How do I start to check out Worldmark? Our goals are not to become VIP (at least for now), have enough points to get about two weeks a year if needed, and pay low maintenance fees :)

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The AFVClub is essentially access to those cheap last minute deals they talked about thru RCI. Typically you have to own a timeshare to be an RCI member and get those deals, so you already should have access to RCI (and those deals) with your existing Wyndham points acct.

If you didn’t - AFVClub gives military/veterans access to those deals without being an RCI member. The basic AFVClub membership is free.

Last edited:

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
The AFVClub is essential access to those cheap last minute deals they talked about thru RCI. Typically you have to own a timeshare to be an RCI member and get those deals, so you already should have access to RCI (and those deals) with your existing Wyndham points acct.

If you didn’t - AFVClub gives military/veterans access to those deals without being an RCI member. The basic AFVClub membership is free.

Thanks so much. See...this is what they don't tell/ask you about when selling a timeshare. Already this site in one day (and you) has been so welcoming and informative. I have looked at the AFVclub website and am amazed. Great deals.

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
The minimum buy-in to do a PIC is 49,000 points per PIC week if you buy through telesales (not the resorts). That will run you about $11k to $12k depending on what you buy. Bentley Brook I hear are the cheapest points out there, so it might be less then that. Their maintenance fees are on the high side but for such a small package, it won’t be that much of a difference compared to CWA. Yes, it’s an $89 fee every time you want to convert, however, you do not have to convert. You can choose to use it as is, or exchange it within RCI for an RCI reservation. If you do those two options, you do not pay the $89 fee, but you still have to pay the program fee that you pay on your other contracts. If you add in the PIC, your total points would be 266,000 a year (I only counted half the EOY contract because that’s how your maintenance fees are charged). You would pay 60 cents per 1,000 points on that PIC even if you don’t convert it. That’s $92.40 a year on top of your other contracts. Without knowing what the maintenance fees are on your other contract, I cannot tell you what your total maintenance fees will be. Also, the new Bentley Brook MF rate has not been reported yet, but I’m going to take a stab and say it’s $8 per 1,000 points. Add in the program fee and it will be about $421 a year. If you get CWA points, it will be an additional $322.91 including program fee.

If it shows no availability, it means there are no rooms available. Even if you have zero points, it will still show you what’s available if there is something available. Availability varies in the seasons. If you tried to brook prime season a few months out, that might be why there was no availability.

If what you have works, stick with it. Don’t buy retail unless you really want to enroll that PIC or go VIP. $300 for an EOY contract is not bad, especially if you didn’t pay closing.

I really appreciate your reply and how much effort you put into the reply. This puts a lot of perspective on this issue. I will go over this with my wife tonight. Thanks again Richelle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Thank you so much for your reply. I have cross posted this in the Wyndham thread and have received pretty much the same advice. I am rescinding now.

Glad to hear you are rescinding. Make sure to follow the rescission instructions within your contract to the letter, and always use certified mail with return receipt. The post mark date is what matters in so far as the rescission dates are concerned.

I rescinded my original resort purchase as well, back in June/July of this year. I rescinded a 126k/annum contract at $155/1000 points from Myrtle Beach area. I then decided to utilize PIC with two non-Wyndham 3+ bedroom units that I acquired for free off of eBay in early July. I ended up purchasing two 105k/295k contracts via corporate telesales at $134/1000 points after rebates, along with the PIC contracts, this gave us VIPP thru Sept 2020 and permanent VIPG. As many others have said, there's absolutely no need to purchase retail developer points from Wyndham, resale is generally your best option. Here's a link to a good article on timeshares that I found especially helpful in making our decision:

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2018/06/a-physician-on-timeshares-who-are-they-right-for.html

Uduhman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Indian Palms (GPX);
Glad to hear you are rescinding. Make sure to follow the rescission instructions within your contract to the letter, and always use certified mail with return receipt. The post mark date is what matters in so far as the rescission dates are concerned.

I rescinded my original resort purchase as well, back in June/July of this year. I rescinded a 126k/annum contract at $155/1000 points from Myrtle Beach area. I then decided to utilize PIC with two non-Wyndham 3+ bedroom units that I acquired for free off of eBay in early July. I ended up purchasing two 105k/295k contracts via corporate telesales at $134/1000 points after rebates, along with the PIC contracts, this gave us VIPP thru Sept 2020 and permanent VIPG. As many others have said, there's absolutely no need to purchase retail developer points from Wyndham, resale is generally your best option. Here's a link to a good article on timeshares that I found especially helpful in making our decision:

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2018/06/a-physician-on-timeshares-who-are-they-right-for.html

Incredible information. Thanks for this explanation. This is pretty much what we would like to do eventually. My question is: when you decided to utilize PIC with two non-Wyndham 3+ bedroom units for free off Ebay...who was the non-Wyndham company (If you don't mind disclosing)? Please excuse me being new to this...did you end up purchasing the two contracts at $134/1000 via telesales at Wyndham?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
And this is why we all love Tug!

:)

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Incredible information. Thanks for this explanation. This is pretty much what we would like to do eventually. My question is: when you decided to utilize PIC with two non-Wyndham 3+ bedroom units for free off Ebay...who was the non-Wyndham company (If you don't mind disclosing)? Please excuse me being new to this...did you end up purchasing the two contracts at $134/1000 via telesales at Wyndham?

For PIC any fixed/floating deeded ownership (ie. not in a points program) and that trades thru RCI will work.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Is there a reason why you originally bought Wyndham? Now would be a great time to explore other systems. Each has their own pluses and minuses and you may be missing out on a great opportunity.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. We bought Wyndham because we liked the set of resorts that were reasonably close. But, if I lived in Arizona, I might be looking at WorldMark instead.