• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paying daily resort fee now if staying at HGVC in Vegas via RCI?

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, also without knowing, I would not believe this to be the case. Or, let me put it another way: I see this as no different from the resort fees charged at a regular Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt hotel, and I expect that these are treated the same. So, if all of those go into the corporate coffers and not the resort, then same here. I just don't think it all does...but similarly have no data.

Cheers.
The difference here is if you're renting a room at a Hilton Hotel, Hilton owns the room nights and adds the resort fee on top of that (with the income going to the hotel). When you're exchanging into an HGVC resort in Las Vegas, you're using inventory that was owned by the timeshare owners and traded to RCI by the timeshare owners and not HGVC. As far as I know, the HOA doesn't get one penny of the resort fee. I can see corporate keeping the resort fee if they're renting inventory they own through Hilton.com as hotel room nights, but we're not talking about corporate inventory here with RCI trades.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The difference here is if you're renting a room at a Hilton Hotel, Hilton owns the room nights and adds the resort fee on top of that (with the income going to the hotel). When you're exchanging into an HGVC resort in Las Vegas, you're using inventory that was owned by the timeshare owners and traded to RCI by the timeshare owners and not HGVC. As far as I know, the HOA doesn't get one penny of the resort fee. I can see corporate keeping the resort fee if they're renting inventory they own through Hilton.com as hotel room nights, but we're not talking about corporate inventory here with RCI trades.

I don't think we know where those fees go. If they go to corporate, than I agree with you. They should stay with the hotel. The problem is we just don't have any data that suggests either way.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I really don't think the $25 fee is going towards paying for the operation of the resort. That would be one thing. But my feeling is that it is going 100% to HGVC corporate as additional profit. The only way you can rationalize that is to say that with the resort fee being collected, HGVC is only charging the HOA $1 million a year as their management fee because it is being subsidized by RCI exchangers. And it would be $2 million otherwise.

I read somewhere that the resort fee is supposed to pay for things like Telephone, Internet, Free Video Free etc. However, my calculations of the cost were no where near $25/day. Therefore, even if some it went to the resort perhaps some goes to HGVC Corporate.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I read somewhere that the resort fee is supposed to pay for things like Telephone, Internet, Free Video Free etc.
Personally, I think that is a line of BS. All of those items are already paid for by owner's maintenance fees.

Kurt

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
And this is how rational people can disagree civilly. I'd rather have the traders pay than me. Just as I'm OK with municipalities charging a modest "tourist tax" when I stay in a hotel.

Cheers.
I personally call BS on TOT taxes for Timeshares, which resorts in various areas are now charging.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
TOT are determine by local or state government. Sometimes the developer encourages it. When Wyndham was trying to build in the desert of Southern California they were running into opposition from the local government. So Wyndham pointed out to local government how they could enact a TOT and have free money from all the tourist. This sealed the deal for Wyndham - did not cost Wyndham a dime (just their owners/members) and the local government got free money for which they provide few services.

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you trade into HGVC property you will be charged the $25 daily resort fee. Doesn't matter if you trade using HGVC points or not. The only way to avoid the resort fee is to book using HGVC portal for home week, club season or open season reservations. Cant charge us owners a resort fee though we have to pay for parking in waikiki.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you’re talking about Lagoon Tower, there’s a parking near by which only charge $1 per 6 hours - however you need to pay online. Otherwise, it’s $1 per hour if you pay by machine.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
If you’re talking about Lagoon Tower, there’s a parking near by which only charge $1 per 6 hours - however you need to pay online. Otherwise, it’s $1 per hour if you pay by machine.

Are you talking about the lot behind the Ilikai. I have parked there overnight and paid about $10 at the machine. Are you saying you can go on line for $1 for 6 hours? What if you needs 10 hours until the next morning when the rent a car places open so you can get rid of the car?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the resort fee is supposed to pay for things like Telephone, Internet, Free Video Free etc. However, my calculations of the cost were no where near $25/day. Therefore, even if some it went to the resort perhaps some goes to HGVC Corporate.

And, if that's true (the $25/day goes to those things), as an HGVC member, you're essentially getting double-charged.
If I book direct with HGVC, those things are included already, and are probably covered by our MF anyway (even if you didn't book, the "cost" of the WiFi, etc. is all folded into the MF we pay every year). So Hilton's basically getting "extra", IMO for those.

Again, if that's what they're doing. That's what I have the problem with mostly.

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the lot behind the Ilikai. I have parked there overnight and paid about $10 at the machine. Are you saying you can go on line for $1 for 6 hours? What if you needs 10 hours until the next morning when the rent a car places open so you can get rid of the car?

Yes. That’s the one. It’s just $1 per 6 hrs if you pay online. You can extend on your phone too. Every night I just pay $2. The 2nd payment will just extend your expiry time. So technically you can pay 4 times to get 24hrs

Calltopark.com
Location#:138833

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. That’s the one. It’s just $1 per 6 hrs if you pay online. You can extend on your phone too. Every night I just pay $2. The 2nd payment will just extend your expiry time. So technically you can pay 4 times to get 24hrs

Calltopark.com
Wow, that seems even better than the Fort DeRussey Parking particular for shorter stays or limited car usage.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Calltopark.com
On went on the website to sign up, but one of the questions I couldn't answer, License Number. Do you need to sign up when you actually have a rent a car with a license number, or can you sign up now and then just add the license and pay when you have a car?

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
On went on the website to sign up, but one of the questions I couldn't answer, License Number. Do you need to sign up when you actually have a rent a car with a license number, or can you sign up now and then just add the license and pay when you have a car?

I signed up on the spot when I was there 3 weeks ago. So yes you can add a licence plate later. There's instruction on their signs. They just don't tell you don't tell you it's cheaper to pay online.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made a reservation for HGVC Trump Las Vegas through RCI and there is no mention of the "resort fee" on the RCI page. I'm assuming that the Trump location is actually being managed by Trump rather than HGVC, and that this is the reason why this is the only HGVC resort in Vegas that has no resort fee when booking through RCI. Anyone who was stayed there knows that there is NO HGVC signage anywhere in the hotel. So that's the reason I think it is being managed by Trump.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The HGVC units are being managed by HGV. This is a mixed use property with hotel, timeshare and Whole ownership.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HGVC units are being managed by HGV. This is a mixed use property with hotel, timeshare and Whole ownership.
Does Trump staff the front desk, Buz? I can't imagine they'd let HGVC do that (when they don't have any HGVC signage in the place).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Not sure about that but I’m pretty sure it’s hotel staff that handles front desk.