• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flights to Orlando from San Diego

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
What is considered a decent price for a flight from Orlando to San Diego in late March/early April? My fam of 4 will likely use Alaska airlines since we can capitalize on their companion tickets and mileage with our Alaska airlines card, but of course we want to get a good deal. The fare I was looking at recently dropped to $448 RT. With Alaska, checked backage is free since we have their credit card. Should I jump on this or wait?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Always check SouthWest Airlines and especially their low fare calendar!
SW Airlines: https://www.southwest.com
Yes, of course! Their flights are actually relatively comparable in price, at least right now. With our Alaska airlines perks, we still get a better deal with them at current fares. I know that SWA has some REALLY great deals at times though! Any idea how low they go from west to east coast? We’re traveling during Spring Break, so I know that fares most likely won’t be at their lowest.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Yes, of course! Their flights are actually relatively comparable in price, at least right now. With our Alaska airlines perks, we still get a better deal with them at current fares. I know that SWA has some REALLY great deals at times though! Any idea how low they go from west to east coast? We’re traveling during Spring Break, so I know that fares most likely won’t be at their lowest.

Given that spring break is not the same week throughout the country, when is your spring break? What dates are you looking to travel?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
March fares:
Outbound:
ss 1.png

Inbound:
ss 2.png

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Spring break for us is last week of March and first week of April. It seems that fares are higher in late March and April due to Spring Break, which can vary as you stated. Southwest is barely cheaper than Alaska for my dates of travel, but Alaska is actually cheaper for me with companion ticket fare (just $129) and miles, and we get to pick our seats. If we didn’t have Alaska card, I would definitely go with Southwest. Just wondering if prices usually drop lower or is this as good as it gets. I know it’s unpredictable, but some may know trends that I am unaware of.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spring break for us is last week of March and first week of April. It seems that fares are higher in late March and April due to Spring Break, which can vary as you stated. Southwest is barely cheaper than Alaska for my dates of travel, but Alaska is actually cheaper for me with companion ticket fare (just $129) and miles, and we get to pick our seats. If we didn’t have Alaska card, I would definitely go with Southwest. Just wondering if prices usually drop lower or is this as good as it gets. I know it’s unpredictable, but some may know trends that I am unaware of.

While I do not have any facts at hand to back up this suspicion, I would doubt prices for travel during a high demand time of year are likely to drop as we get any closer.
Of course, YEMV.
One other factor to consider with SouthWest (I do NOT know if Alaska Air does this) - if the cost of a trip drops, you can have it rebooked at the lower rate. However, the difference is given back to you as a future travel credit and may have a time limit for its use! I think that limit is one year but others who drop by here my know more about that.

I can tell you I have rebooked travel on SouthWest to take advantage of lower rates as compared to the day I initially booked a trip - it took a phone call and about 15 minutes as I recall.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Alaska also provides a credit of the difference in fare if it drops. Like you, I monitor it regularly to capitalize on that. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
While I do not have any facts at hand to back up this suspicion, I would doubt prices for travel during a high demand time of year are likely to drop as we get any closer.
Of course, YEMV.
One other factor to consider with SouthWest (I do NOT know if Alaska Air does this) - if the cost of a trip drops, you can have it rebooked at the lower rate. However, the difference is given back to you as a future travel credit and may have a time limit for its use! I think that limit is one year but others who drop by here my know more about that.

I can tell you I have rebooked travel on SouthWest to take advantage of lower rates as compared to the day I initially booked a trip - it took a phone call and about 15 minutes as I recall.
To get the flight credit you do not have to rebook. You do not have to call anyone. It's very easy to go online on the SW website and simply "change" your flight. I often go in to see if the prices have changed for flights I've booked. If the price has dropped you will see how much credit you will get. If it's acceptable, you just make the change. If you have booked using points and the points amount is reduced, the points will automatically be returned to your account.

The time frame for the use of the dollar amount is one year from the purchase of the original ticket.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alaska also provides a credit of the difference in fare if it drops. Like you, I monitor it regularly to capitalize on that. :)
Actually Alaska doesn’t honor price drops anymore. That stopped on 9/1/2018. Also they stopped their policy of letting you make changes if more than 60 days out.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Actually Alaska doesn’t honor price drops anymore. That stopped on 9/1/2018. Also they stopped their policy of letting you make changes if more than 60 days out.
Alaska does have a low fare guarantee if you purchase through them. There is a link that can be accessed when viewing a reservation in one’s account. I have a credit in my “wallet” from just a couple months ago when the fare to Big Island dropped before I went in September.