• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surprised ruined by owners meeting phone call

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
For DW's birthday, I planned an extended weekend in Las Vegas. I arraigned time off with her boss unbeknownst to her. Last night when I was out of the house, a salesman from Elara called the house and and wanted additional information on our stay and to invite us to an owners update meeting. She thought it was possibly a scam phone call, but the salesman offered up to much information about us to her. When I arrived home, she encountered me about it and I fessed up. I wasn't sure how I was going to surprise her, but now I don't have to worry about that part of the plan. Thanks, HGVC!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Ugh. Not cool. Well, I'm sure that she was surprised.

FYI, my next door neighbor did a surprise trip - told his wife that they were going to Hawaii, then at the airport told her that they were going to Tahiti instead.

jestme

Reaction score
For DW's birthday, I planned an extended weekend in Las Vegas. I arraigned time off with her boss unbeknownst to her. Last night when I was out of the house, a salesman from Elara called the house and and wanted additional information on our stay and to invite us to an owners update meeting. She thought it was possibly a scam phone call, but the salesman offered up to much information about us to her. When I arrived home, she encountered me about it and I fessed up. I wasn't sure how I was going to surprise her, but now I don't have to worry about that part of the plan. Thanks, HGVC!
Call HGVC in Orlando and complain loudly. It is annoying enough salespeople calling the room right after you have checked in, but calling beforehand, in your home could affect other things besides spoiling a surprise. It could be a BIG surprise if the spouse wasn't supposed to be there either. There are many other reasons the call could be "intrusive". As far as I am concerned, your phone number should not be available to the "salesman". Your phone number, address, loan balance (if any) , family income, etc. should be secured as a part of the "HGVC Privacy Policy" and be closely and securly guarded. Apparantly, since you got the call, it isn't.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
… a salesman from Elara called the house and wanted additional information on our stay and to invite us to an owners update meeting.

The REAL reason why they called was to invite you to the update meeting. The lie to give them a reason to call was the underlined red part.

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
It now appears that for those of us planning a surprise trip with a spouse that we need to also change the phone number on our HGVC account (to perhaps a cell or work number??) to avoid the "preemptive courtesy invite." I would be steamed and agree with @jestme that you should call Orlando and complain loudly.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think twitter and Facebook complaints are more productive than calling hq and complaining to a call centre employee...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did she get the weasel's name? On check-in have his @$$ on the carpet- and preferably (figuratively) his head on a plate! There is a good chance that with a little planning, the clown's blowing your surprise can be artfully avenged!

Jim

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It now appears that for those of us planning a surprise trip with a spouse....

And especially a surprise trip WITHOUT the spouse... ;)

It could be a BIG surprise if the spouse wasn't supposed to be there either.

I remember some years ago when I was a more prolific poster on flyertalk being in a DFW AA lounge elevator. He saw my Flyertalk tag on my bag and asked who I was. I told him, and he said "this must be the oft-mentioned mrs. brp." Good thing it was :)

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've given my cell # at check-in, and later started getting solicitations.
Nowadays, I simply decline to do so. I may change the one stored to...
555-0100 - 555-0199 (they're fictional #'s used by film + TV studios).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've given my cell # at check-in, and later started getting solicitations.
Nowadays, I simply decline to do so. I may change the one stored to...
555-0100 - 555-0199 (they're fictional #'s used by film + TV studios).

I use 555-1212, the area code information number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Even better - BR-549!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
for old-timers, there's BEechwood 4-5789.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I have a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line which I always give as my contact. It has an answering machine and I do not pick it up. I can retrieve the VM from my cell.

Another option is Google Voice.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Or 867-5309.

That's apparently a real # used by peep + businesses who ask for it.
They say they get calls asking for Jenny, but take it all in stride.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Its unfortunate they ruined the surprise, but it seem like most of timeshare companies call in advance to schedule an "update".

I gave HGVC my cell number, and then added their number to my contacts. That way it always comes up in Caller Id and i know its them calling.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use to give out the number to time--You call to get the current time, downtown temperature, and a brief ad from Frost National Bank.

I would be really mad. You need to be comped something.