• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vacation destination where you would like to live

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
About 20 years ago (pre-timeshare ownership) Cliff started buying "where to retire" books and we also subscribed to a magazine along the same lines. He'd look at the ratings and then recalculate the charts because to us weather is the main factor. Those of us in coastal LA county are very, very spoiled. Hotter than 78 degrees we are dying (too cheap to turn the A/C on until it hits 80 in the house), cooler than 65 degrees and we are bundled in layers. Would love to live in Santa Fe, and I figured I'd just stay inside if it snowed until someone pointed out all the 40 and 50 degree non-snow days. So we are sticking coastal and moving to Carlsbad and look forward to weather that is pretty much what we have now.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We do more outdoorsy things than indoors, so for us it would be a plus. Of course things could change as we get older. And this is all just speculation because we'll probably stay put. There are a ton of outdoor activities in our own backyard but we have a lot more company than we used to (pre-social media) and that's a bit of a drag. (Google "potato chip rock" which used to be a place where no one went, now you see people poop on the side of the trail. Gross. And people literally line up to get a photo. We haven't been in years). Thanks for your input Luanne. It definitely is good to consider all of the pros and cons before making a big move like that.
After we decided that Santa Fe was someplace we would both like to live we made quite a few trips there. We wanted to be sure it was someplace we would be happy just "being".

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Kind of an amazing place, right?

Just checked in to Hyatt Pinon Pointe today. Here for the mountain biking. I don’t like the vortex stuff but the trails can’t be beat. And it’s such an embarrassment of riches with the trail system here. So nice!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There are quite a few Caribbean vacation spots I'd love to live if the living conditions (affordable and good housing, health care, grocery shopping, places to see, things to do, safety) were better. I could move to our timeshare in St Augustine Beach Florida and live quite happily. We've been visiting St. Augustine for over 40 years and we both love it there. It is easy to get to for our children and I'm sure they would not hesitate visit us since they love it there too.

We purchased a condo in St. Augustine Beach many years ago as a possible retirement spot. (being Canadian we can't just move there) Then DH decided that the winters were too cold there, he wants shorts and t-shirt weather for January to early April. As long as there is no snow I would be quite happy if the daytime high was only 50F. We spent days and days driving around south (interior) Florida to try to find affordable winter rentals but we cant come close to what we pay in Belize. So for the next few years we will continue to spend the winters in Belize and live April through December in Canada.

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
There are quite a few Caribbean vacation spots I'd love to live if the living conditions (affordable and good housing, health care, grocery shopping, places to see, things to do, safety) were better. I could move to our timeshare in St Augustine Beach Florida and live quite happily. We've been visiting St. Augustine for over 40 years and we both love it there. It is easy to get to for our children and I'm sure they would not hesitate visit us since they love it there too.

We purchased a condo in St. Augustine Beach many years ago as a possible retirement spot. (being Canadian we can't just move there) Then DH decided that the winters were too cold there, he wants shorts and t-shirt weather for January to early April. As long as there is no snow I would be quite happy if the daytime high was only 50F. We spent days and days driving around south (interior) Florida to try to find affordable winter rentals but we cant come close to what we pay in Belize. So for the next few years we will continue to spend the winters in Belize and live April through December in Canada.

~Diane

My brother purchased a home on Palm Coast and he loves it there. Still has his home in NY and goes to Fla. January through March or mid April and then a few other times during the year. He will be retiring down there shortly, and will eventually sell his home in NY, but will continue to visit NY via rentals.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like in a state with all four (4) season(fall, winter, spring & summer)...But not to hot and no humidity. No snow, blizzards or hurricanes and finally must have an international airport.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We just saw on line last night what seems to be the most perfect little free standing condo home in New Hampshire under our price range (which is already low) with an attached garage. Impossible to find something like it. And it is in our son's town which we are familiar and comfortable with.

It is so depressing that we can't purchase it now because it would be ideal for us. Chances of something like it being available as soon as or if our house sells when we put it on the market will be rare.

Sigh....:(

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We just saw on line last night what seems to be the most perfect little free standing condo home in New Hampshire under our price range (which is already low) with an attached garage. Impossible to find something like it. And it is in our son's town which we are familiar and comfortable with.

It is so depressing that we can't purchase it now because it would be ideal for us. Chances of something like it being available as soon as or if our house sells when we put it on the market will be rare.

Sigh....:(
I find these needle in the haystacks come around more often then one thinks. When you are ready and sell your house you might have to do the interim dreaded rental if what you need isn’t available to buy. I have done this twice with a yearly lease and both times I found the great deals and was actually stuck with a few months of extra rental fees as I found something sooner then later. Life tends to take you where you need to go if you let it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just checked in to Hyatt Pinon Pointe today. Here for the mountain biking. I don’t like the vortex stuff but the trails can’t be beat. And it’s such an embarrassment of riches with the trail system here. So nice!

Whats not to like about a vortex? A nice quiet place to sit and meditate for a break during a hike or ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like in a state with all four (4) season(fall, winter, spring & summer)...But not to hot and no humidity. No snow, blizzards or hurricanes and finally must have an international airport.

When we started looking we had similar requirements and where we came up with was Sandpoint Id. They do get snow but average winter temp is 32 and we can handle that. We do not have ac and manage fine....we get some hot temps in the summer but it drops to the 50s at night so it is bearable. Spokane airport is an "international" airport but in name only. You have to go to Denver, salt lake or seattle to get anywhere. We are 60-90 minutes from Sandpoint and while we have the property in Clark Fork Idaho, Washington has no income tax so we will live here and spent weekends there.

The one thing we do have that we did not anticipate are wild fires. Earthquakes are also a possibility but not a major concern

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sounds almost like Santa Fe. We do get snow, but it's usually gone later in the day, or by the next day at least. And now Albuquerque does have a flight to Mexico, so I guess that makes them an international airport.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Dorothy? Wake up!!! :D

But if you do find it, Pedro - please let us know!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I almost have it for you.

4 seasons
Snow maybe once or twice a year, sometimes a year with none but melts by the next day, no blizzards
Hurricanes miss us, usual tropical or heavy rain
Major airport hub nearby
Most of the year not too hot, but this is the almost, it does get hot in the summer but it is not bad if the humidity is low. The mountains which are cool about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive away.
Where?
The surrounding areas near Charlotte, Nc . Areas such as Fort Mill Sc, tega cay Sc, Indian Land, sc are more reasonable in housing with lower taxes then being actually in Nc and are right over the Nc border.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Second that, seriously considered it but need to be near a cardiologist. I was watching a show on medical rescues and here was a poor guy having a heart attack on a gurney loaded into a prop job for a flight out of Kona.

We visited Marriott NCV three times in 2014 when our son started college in the area, loved it so much we moved here, so we are living in our second best ts location.

Sedona would be third on our list, I’d move there.

We like places with year round nice weather; no cold, wet, snowy, icy winters for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We moved to the Big Island over 12 years ago. Specialty doctors are few, but we have been fortunate to have access to a great cardiologist, eye doctor and dermatologist. Considering all of the weather related issues on the mainland, we are very happy here. This is a large island with as many activities as you want to get involved with and a very small town feel.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do liked the Charlotte, NC area. We have some friends that work for B of A in upper management and one that work in upper management for a major stock market firm

Plus, my Grandson received his MBA from UNC and is now employed in Charlotte by one of the major insurance companies.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

So you want to live in Oz. Do you have your Ruby Shoes ready?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We moved to the Big Island over 12 years ago. Specialty doctors are few, but we have been fortunate to have access to a great cardiologist, eye doctor and dermatologist. Considering all of the weather related issues on the mainland, we are very happy here. This is a large island with as many activities as you want to get involved with and a very small town feel.

Wow! Quite a move! Do you miss any of your Long Island family and friends?

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're right where we want to be - absolutely love it here in San Diego County. But we live a ways inland from the coast, where it's warmer and sunnier. The weather is near-perfect all year, just the way we like it. That being said, though, it's great to visit other places, both domestically and internationally, enjoy them for what they offer (usually a lot), and then get to come home again. Truly blessed!

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since retiring about 5 years ago, we do a fair amount of timeshare traveling.

We live in a nice part of the SF Bay Area, and haven't found anywhere that we like as well after extensive traveling, so we've chosen to stay here.

However, we could envision living in many of these places that we've traveled, which are among our favorites, in no particular order here. In a way, we sort of do live in each of these part time already, which is the beauty of timesharing:

Santa Barbara down to Santa Monica CA

Boulder, CO (lacks timeshares though there are some in nearby Estes Park)

Ski/mountain towns in CO and UT

Santa Fe

Carlsbad/San Marcos CA

Sedona/Flagstaff AZ

Reno/Tahoe

Bend OR (probably too cold for us though)

Several places in New Zealand (if they'd make it easier to emigrate!)

Kauai or Oahu, if we didn't think we'd feel island bound. But we probably would.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Since retiring about 5 years ago, we do a fair amount of timeshare traveling.

We live in a nice part of the SF Bay Area, and haven't found anywhere that we like as well after extensive traveling, so we've chosen to stay here.

However, we could envision living in many of these places that we've traveled, which are among our favorites, in no particular order here. In a way, we sort of do live in each of these part time already, which is the beauty of timesharing:

Santa Barbara down to Santa Monica CA

Boulder, CO (lacks timeshares though there are some in nearby Estes Park)

Ski/mountain towns in CO and UT

Santa Fe

Carlsbad/San Marcos CA

Sedona/Flagstaff AZ

Reno/Tahoe

Bend OR (probably too cold for us though)

Several places in New Zealand (if they'd make it easier to emigrate!)

Kauai or Oahu, if we didn't think we'd feel island bound. But we probably would.

Great post. We've been to almost every place on your list (except Santa Fe and New Zealand), and I would say that I agree with you on every single place, and agree that we also love where we live. This is a great country.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great post. We've been to almost every place on your list (except Santa Fe and New Zealand), and I would say that I agree with you on every single place, and agree that we also love where we live. This is a great country.
We're in Phoenix right now. Fantastic place to visit in November, though we're glad we're not here in August!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In a way, we sort of do live in each of these part time already, which is the beauty of timesharing:

Point on! When I string together a couple of weeks I feel like I am part of the community, like it’s a second home.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Come to think of it, I've never visited any place that I didn't like. There were some places where I would never want to live full time (just couldn't see it working out - usually big cities or very small towns) but I have always come back with good memories. And I have to say that for the past 8ish years, timesharing has made most of that possible. When I am looking for an exchange, I usually see what is available vs where do I want to go. It forces me to consider places that I had never thought of visiting, or places that had always seemed out of reach. It's been very fun and I hope to continue for a long, long time.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Point on! When I string together a couple of weeks I feel like I am part of the community, like it’s a second home.
Sometimes I just think of myself as a resident of the entire SW, including California. It's my main home turf now.

Staying in timeshare condos rather than hotels can really give you this impression.

Some of the locals may not agree though, and see us as interlopers....but who cares?