• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I think in Bao’s case, he was paying the maintence and club fees, not reservation or charges at the hgvc resorts. Although one would think that if MF qualifies for the $250 credits, charges at hgvc should also qualify. Has anyone else received the $250 credits after paying MF? If it works, upgrading from Hilton ascend to aspire really makes a lot of sense.
Club fees and reservation fees are labeled the same when I look at my statement. Processed from hgvc in florida.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Club fees and reservation fees are labeled the same when I look at my statement. Processed from hgvc in florida.

are you getting 14x points at least?

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score

Were you staying at one of the affiliates? I looked at the Hilton "resort" list, and there are many HGVC resorts. But affiliates are not on the list.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
are you getting 14x points at least?
That I do.
Were you staying at one of the affiliates? I looked at the Hilton "resort" list, and there are many HGVC resorts. But affiliates are not on the list.
Nope. Lagoon tower, Grand Waikikian, Hokulani, Grand Islander and South Beach. None of those triggered the $250 rebate.

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
I think in Bao’s case, he was paying the maintence and club fees, not reservation or charges at the hgvc resorts. Although one would think that if MF qualifies for the $250 credits, charges at hgvc should also qualify. Has anyone else received the $250 credits after paying MF? If it works, upgrading from Hilton ascend to aspire really makes a lot of sense.
I got $74 credited after paid MF.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I read Bao's statement again, and he only got $179 credit for club fees, he didn't say anything about maintenance fees. I do pay my club fees and maintenance fees I will pay them together, I couldn't be bothered paying things separately like that. I also want to get credit in 2018 for making $15,000 worth of expenditures for a free weekend night.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I read Bao's statement again, and he only got $179 credit for club fees, he didn't say anything about maintenance fees. I do pay my club fees and maintenance fees I will pay them together, I couldn't be bothered paying things separately like that. I also want to get credit in 2018 for making $15,000 worth of expenditures for a free weekend night.
The 15k spend was on my ascend card for free night. The certificate arrived in email about 2 weeks after hitting the 15k spend.

Aspire gets a free weekend night without any spend. You get another free weekend night at 60k spend with aspire.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The 15k spend was on my ascend card for free night. The certificate arrived in email about 2 weeks after hitting the 15k spend.

Aspire gets a free weekend night without any spend. You get another free weekend night at 60k spend with aspire.

I understand what you are saying. I would have upgraded my Honors card to the Ascend Card if certain benefits of that card were clear. We have been discussing the issue of the $250 resort credit. That should be a credit that could be used at any Hilton Hotel without question. The $250 flight credit is another questionable expenditure. Can it be used for baggage on Hawaiian Airlines? How about seat upgrades on Hawaiian Airlines?

I don't spend 60K on my HHonors card since a lot of my expenditures are ones which Honors Cards only give 3 points instead of the 6 you get for restaurants, supermarkets, and gas stations. I have another card that give 2% cash on all expenditures that I use for those expenditures.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have gotten the United credit within 3 days of the charges being posted. The $250 credit is good for one airline that you choose at the beginning of the year (or when you first get the Aspire card for that year). It is good for all expenditures except for purchasing tickests. Should work for seat upgrades but have not used it for that. I have been credited for luggage, food and drink charges. Luggage charges of any type will trigger the credit.

My problem is that I have not been reimbursed the $250 for Hilton charges. Spent a few days at Grand Wailea and I had $1k worth of food, beverage and parking charges that have not triggered the $250 credit from Aspire card. Also have incurred reservation fees booking HGVC stays with Aspire and no credit there. Have stayed at HGVC South Beach, Hokulani, Lagoon Tower, Grand Waikikian and Grand Islander using Aspire card and no credit of the $250 yet. Will be calling Amex to see what is going on as none of my Hilton spend has triggered the credit. I am wondering how Bao had his club fees and maintenance fees trigger the $250 credit (I did not think club fees and mf would trigger it) and yet my spend that should have triggered the credit did not.

Just want to be sure that you know the Ascend card does not provide the $250 credit for Hilton and airline spend. It is the Aspire Amex card that does.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have gotten the United credit within 3 days of the charges being posted. The $250 credit is good for one airline that you choose at the beginning of the year (or when you first get the Aspire card for that year). It is good for all expenditures except for purchasing tickests. Should work for seat upgrades but have not used it for that. I have been credited for luggage, food and drink charges. Luggage charges of any type will trigger the credit.

My problem is that I have not been reimbursed the $250 for Hilton charges. Spent a few days at Grand Wailea and I had $1k worth of food, beverage and parking charges that have not triggered the $250 credit from Aspire card. Also have incurred reservation fees booking HGVC stays with Aspire and no credit there. Have stayed at HGVC South Beach, Hokulani, Lagoon Tower, Grand Waikikian and Grand Islander using Aspire card and no credit of the $250 yet. Will be calling Amex to see what is going on as none of my Hilton spend has triggered the credit. I am wondering how Bao had his club fees and maintenance fees trigger the $250 credit (I did not think club fees and mf would trigger it) and yet my spend that should have triggered the credit did not.

Just want to be sure that you know the Ascend card does not provide the $250 credit for Hilton and airline spend. It is the Aspire Amex card that does.

I would definitely call, i see both the Grand Wailea and Grand Islander on the list of resorts eligible for the credit. I know some hotels outsource the parking to a 3rd party so perhaps those charges dont count.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would definitely call, i see both the Grand Wailea and Grand Islander on the list of resorts eligible for the credit. I know some hotels outsource the parking to a 3rd party so perhaps those charges dont count.
The parking charges at HHV is run in house and is charged by Hilton.

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bao got $176 credits paying the club fees and also got $74 after paying the MF (in a post just right before yours). So far Bao is the only one reported to have received the $250 credits after paying with the Hilton aspire. I hope there are others who could confirm that the $250 credits from Hilton aspire apply to hgvc club fee and MF. If so, I would upgrade my Hilton ascend to aspire.

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score

You have to call in to amex to get the $250 credit - for some reason it's not automatic for this resort (at least that's what I had to do in Sept)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why should it be a credit at any Hilton when the published rules explicitly state that it is for resorts only?

Cheers.
My reasoning is that what constitutes a "RESORT" is controversial, (That is the reason there is so much discussion here about it). Since it is a Hilton Card make it a Hilton expenditure credit. What difference should it be to the customer what Hilton, we are spending our credit or money at a Hilton.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bao got $176 credits paying the club fees and also got $74 after paying the MF (in a post just right before yours). So far Bao is the only one reported to have received the $250 credits after paying with the Hilton aspire. I hope there are others who could confirm that the $250 credits from Hilton aspire apply to hgvc club fee and MF. If so, I would upgrade my Hilton ascend to aspire.

Yes he did. I wonder why he didn't initially just post information about the entire $250 credit that he got, since that is what the Aspire Card gives you?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
My reasoning is that what constitutes a "RESORT" is controversial, (That is the reason there is so much discussion here about it). Since it is a Hilton Card make it a Hilton expenditure credit. What difference should it be to the customer what Hilton, we are spending our credit or money at a Hilton.

Got it. They do have a very explicit (and growing) list of qualified locations. In the end, I think the real reason for limiting it in this way is that fewer people will actually be able to use it, so less payout. I get why they're doing it, and at least they're very up-front, explicit and informative about it.

Although they don't clearly define "qualifying spend" and don't explicitly say that it includes the room rate, although it does.

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand what you are saying. I would have upgraded my Honors card to the Ascend Card if certain benefits of that card were clear. We have been discussing the issue of the $250 resort credit. That should be a credit that could be used at any Hilton Hotel without question. The $250 flight credit is another questionable expenditure. Can it be used for baggage on Hawaiian Airlines? How about seat upgrades on Hawaiian Airlines?

There is a list of participating airlines on the Amex website. Last time i checked Hawaiian was NOT a partner, so the credit will not be applicable for any of their fees. The list is pretty extensive, but certainly not all airlines. You would need to check the list to see if airlines you use and incur fees are included. I mostly fly UA, Hawaiian and Southwest. I am a million miler on UA, so i don't pay much in the way of add on fees with them. I chose Southwest as my partner this year. I was able to get full value very quickly.

As for the resort credit, Amex also has a link to Resorts tab on the Hilton website. Its kind of hassle to search, but it clear which places are and are not considered a resort.

I assume they limit the credit to "resorts" as those are probably more profitable as they usually include multiple places to eat and drink when compared with something like a Hampton Inn. I am not certain but i suspect the property not Amex covers the credit.

WhatTheDogSaid

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Boulevard Las Vegas
HGVC Elara
I got last week’s baggage charges on three Hawaiian flights reimbursed on my Aspire card within days. The charge for my drink hasn’t come through at all. It should be covered if it ever does.

I was also happy to see $250 credited for meals at the HGVC King’s Land Resort.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
I paid my HGVC Craigendarroch maintenance fees last week and received a $225 credit on my Amex Aspire card (balance left from the $250). I called Craigendarroch's finance department directly to pay it before the bill came (although they had the actual amount) and the merchant code that was used was "Travel-Lodging" which may be why I received the credit. Last year I paid online and did not receive any credit or points so the key is to call and pay it directly.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The list of the resorts includes the Hilton Hawaiian Village. However, Frank808 says he didn't get the credit!

We had the same issue earlier this year in Aruba. We called and it did get addressed. I think that HHV was added recently, so that may have caused the issue.

Cheers.