• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Outline of HGVC Elite Benefits

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't need to look there. We could have (and already have :)) told you that!

Cheers.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well maybe the "thinking" is that if you decide that you must own at least 14.000 points then we (HGVC) would like to add a little (very very tiny) benefit on top.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
That's 14K ***developer*** points, not resale market points....

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Indeed. We own more than 14K points...resale points. When we go to W. 57th they now call us Elite, but I'm sure that we wouldn't really get any of the defined Elite benefits in the real world.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's even more shocking/surprising is the amount of people on the FB group that are "elite is *so* worth it", LOL!
They probably pay full MSRP for cars as well. :)

I've always wondered what the "cheapest" Developer cost would be to get Elite (depends on which level of Elite, I know).

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
When I recently purchased a resale Florida affiliate, I did check out resales from the agent at the resort and was told ( as I was told by another last year) if I purchased from the resort agent the points from them they would count towards elite.

This particular sale the price was closer then most, within $1200, but I chose to save the $ versus having points towards elite.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Well, I am one of those suckers. I have 24000 points purchased from Hilton, making it Elite Plus. It’s not that much different than Elite. At each level, they push the next tier up. Elite Premier (34000 points) allows use of Registry Collection in which you can use your club points for nicer (than RCI) resorts at Disney (like Aulani) and other similar companies.

Sean

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Well, I am one of those suckers. I have 24000 points purchased from Hilton, making it Elite Plus. It’s not that much different than Elite. At each level, they push the next tier up. Elite Premier (34000 points) allows use of Registry Collection in which you can use your club points for nicer (than RCI) resorts at Disney (like Aulani) and other similar companies.

Sean

I seem to recall that you got this via an affiliate resale broker in Scotland at a discount?

How expensive and available are the Registry Collection units? I looked at some of the Villas of Distinction offered via the Elite portal and some were 14k points a night! Perhaps because we are lowly non-elites?

LoL, one of the properties thought we were elite and we got the welcome cookies. Had we actually paid for elite, the cost per cookie would be quite expensive!

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Nope - my trail of points is interesting (and expensive).
  • 2010 - bought 3750 (gold) at West 57th
  • 2011 - upgrade to 5250 (Platinum) at West 57th
  • 2015 - “upgrade” to 14,400 Kings Land (fixed New Years) and became Elite
  • 2016 - bought back into W57 with gold week 3750
  • 2018 - “upgraded” 18,100 points to 24,000 at Hilton Club NYC. Now Elite Plus
We love NYC and travel there 2-3x per year and should have stayed pat with Platinum week at W57. Immediately regretted Kings Land as it was then not easy to book into W57. That’s why I bought gold week (after being told ALL my points could be used at W57). Then they changed to separate By Hilton Club points and I needed a way to use my points in NYC (outside the 44day window). We need multiple rooms or 2bedroom so HCNY works well.

Sean

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Smclaugh99 My apologies, I mixed you up with another Tugger. IMHO I would be very mad at the rep that sold you Kingsland. Perhaps they noticed that you were an elite plus that had paid into the system and let your incredible W57 deal pass ROFR as Karmic payback. :)

BTW...we love NYC too. Cannot wait to go back as we just added a few more activity ideas for next time.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s why I bought gold week (after being told ALL my points could be used at W57). Then they changed to separate By Hilton Club points and I needed a way to use my points in NYC (outside the 44day window).
Sean

The reality is that it was never supposed to be allowed to use non-bHC points for bHC. It just worked that way because points where in a common tool. Unfortunately the fixed that loophole.

Cheers.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
The reality is that it was never supposed to be allowed to use non-bHC points for bHC. It just worked that way because points where in a common tool. Unfortunately the fixed that loophole.

Cheers.
Yes - I don’t blame them for separating the points, especially as someone who paid retail for the points (twice). It was just annoying that the sales person used the loophole to encourage the sale. I know - his lips were moving .

Sean

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
OK so now I'm confused. I own at HCNY and have 5k points. Now let's say I buy another 5K points retail at, let's just say a Vegas property, the 5K points purchases in Vegas can't be used the same way in NYC that I now use my current 5k points from HCNY?? If it is any consolation to Smclaugh99 I have also been told by HGVC sales reps trying to sell me (in Vegas) that I could as well. I know there are 44 day booking issues but I thought as an owner that didn't apply as "points are points" (that's exactly what the sales rep said).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
OK so now I'm confused. I own at HCNY and have 5k points. Now let's say I buy another 5K points retail at, let's just say a Vegas property, the 5K points purchases in Vegas can't be used the same way in NYC that I now use my current 5k points from HCNY?? If it is any consolation to Smclaugh99 I have also been told by HGVC sales reps trying to sell me (in Vegas) that I could as well. I know there are 44 day booking issues but I thought as an owner that didn't apply as "points are points" (that's exactly what the sales rep said).

I could be very wrong here, but my understanding is that the only points you can book at bHC resorts before the 44 day window are those that are in the bHC bucket. Once the 44 day hits, you can book with regular HGVC points. Otherwise, people would buy the smallest amount of bHC points and purchase regular HGVC points (maybe even resale, oh the horror) and HGVC would be out a bunch of money. From a business and marketing standpoint, I completely understand it. From a member point, I understand the frustration too.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Now let's say I buy another 5K points retail at, let's just say a Vegas property, the 5K points purchases in Vegas can't be used the same way in NYC that I now use my current 5k points from HCNY??

Correct, HGV separated the HGVC and bHC points into separate buckets and closed that loophole. This post - here - has more information.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nope. Was never supposed to be that way (so they were simply lying). It did work that way when all the points went into one bucket. Now they go into two buckets. And they do a frightfully good job of bucket management.

Cheers.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

To make it extra confusing, if you own 5k HCNY points, those points can be used anywhere. However, if you own other points elsewhere, you can use them within 44day window at By Hilton Club properties, but you can NEVER use those at HCNY. Remember, Hilton Club is a club-within-a-club, so only HCNY points can be used there.

Sean

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
To make it extra confusing, if you own 5k HCNY points, those points can be used anywhere. However, if you own other points elsewhere, you can use them within 44day window at By Hilton Club properties, but you can NEVER use those at HCNY. Remember, Hilton Club is a club-within-a-club, so only HCNY points can be used there.

Sean
OMG did I get sold a bill of goods!!! Yes I bought several years ago apparently before the "loop hole" was closed and was obviously never told of what the future would be. I am going to call about the NEVER using HGVC points at HCNY, this was clearly NOT was I was told. This was definitely a bait and switch deal if this is indeed true! My plan had been, just as others implied, was to by additional properties resale and pretty much use the points in NYC (I already have a Hawaii property). Well this certainly changes things if true.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
OMG did I get sold a bill of goods!!! Yes I bought several years ago apparently before the "loop hole" was closed and was obviously never told of what the future would be. I am going to call about the NEVER using HGVC points at HCNY, this was clearly NOT was I was told. This was definitely a bait and switch deal if this is indeed true! My plan had been, just as others implied, was to by additional properties resale and pretty much use the points in NYC (I already have a Hawaii property). Well this certainly changes things if true.

Lips moving . . . If it’s not in writing, it’s not happening. I believe you can buy into bHC properties resale and they get put into the bHC bucket. Those deeds are a fair amount more expensive, but that possibility is there.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Lips moving . . . If it’s not in writing, it’s not happening. I believe you can buy into bHC properties resale and they get put into the bHC bucket. Those deeds are a fair amount more expensive, but that possibility is there.
Yes you can but as you said those points/deeds are definitely pricey. I bought into HCNY basically when it was brand new and in fact they said the opposite to me that "points are points" and "now that I own in NYC I can go out and buy elsewhere". Never adding the fact that in the future I could not use the HGVC points at my home property! I would have bought at 57th St. had I known that fact, I was actually looking at both properties but the HCNY ease of booking was appealing to me as at the time my wife worked in NYC. Personally the 57th St. property I feel is nicer anyway. Well I will call and verify but if this is indeed the case I won't have any problem at the future "owners update" that I recently signed up for. In fact they will be speaking with a very angry owner who they will probably will want to get out the door ASAP. I won't be buying any more Hilton properties resale or direct that's for sure after this debacle!!

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I get your frustration, but owning at HCNY does have some perks. Since only owners can book there, the competition for reservations is much less. And they have very spacious 2bedroom units (comes in handy if you are looking to rent it out to ‘family’ to help with MF). The points can be converted at any amount, at any time to HHonors at 50:1 (yes, It would be foolish to do so). By Hilton Club properties let you convert 50:1 but the entire allotment of your points to do so. No other properties have such flexibility. Because the HCNY points are so valuable/expensive, I would not recommend using those at any other property besides HCNY.

Sean

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Sean

I hadn't thought of this limitation for HCNY. Although the ease of short notice reservation is nice, if you are out of HCNY points, then you are stuck unless you use open season which is not cheap.

It sounds like W57 offers the best trade off of both worlds: Owner only reservations to 45 days instead of 60 days for Residences and District, plus if you are short on points you can still use your regular HGVC points within 44 days if there is availability. We used Vegas club points instead of bHC points on part of a recent visit that we planned on short notice within the 44 day window. Of course it helped that it was not high season to get the availability and we only needed a studio. W57 also has lower MF than HCNY and Residences too. Biggest problem with W57 is that there are no 2 bdrm units and no washer/dryers on site. However I believe none of the NYC properties have laundry - wash and folds around the block but takes planning to drop off and pick up during business hours.

Last edited: