• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status at resale prices!

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you all your input. I really appreciate it. I should also research if Certificate of Holiday means I can use the entire HGVC system. I think the original post had eluded to that. Anyway, thanks again. I will take a look at your links referenced above.
Yes you can have access to the entire HGVC system and RCI portal through HGVC. You have to register your week with HGVC which is optional. You can buy directly from the Resale office if you want the week to count towards elite status. Also Coylumbridge is usually less expensive than Craigendarroch in terms of purchase price and maintenance fees. Make sure to get a platinum week worth 7000pts or more.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Craigendarroch Lodges were built around 1986 and they have been part of HGVC for nearly 20 years. As stated previously, this is a RTU ownership which makes it easier for US citizens to purchase. These are also sold at fixed weeks but you can call HGVC (if you enroll) to convert the week to points. This can be done anytime between January 1st of the previous year and up-to-31 days before the start of your week.

I don't see this affiliate pulling out of HGVC. That is my take on the property.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craigendarroch Lodges were built around 1986 and they have been part of HGVC for nearly 20 years. As stated previously, this is a RTU ownership which makes it easier for US citizens to purchase. These are also sold at fixed weeks but you can call HGVC (if you enroll) to convert the week to points. This can be done anytime between January 1st of the previous year and up-to-31 days before the start of your week.

I don't see this affiliate pulling out of HGVC. That is my take on the property.

Thank you, GT75. Appreciate your input. Waiting for the HGVC-Craigendarroch sales person to write back after which we will decide if we should purchase in Scottland or in the USA. Hoping we will make a smart decision. Gulp!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you, GT75. Appreciate your input. Waiting for the HGVC-Craigendarroch sales person to write back after which we will decide if we should purchase in Scottland or in the USA. Hoping we will make a smart decision. Gulp!

What are you wanting to do with your purchase? Are you just looking for points or are you looking to go to a hard to reserve resort?

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are you wanting to do with your purchase? Are you just looking for points or are you looking to go to a hard to reserve resort?

Well, I think points. However, our first actual trip may be Hilton Villamoura (Algarve, Portugal) or Hilton Conrad also in Algarve (next August 2019) or Craigendarroch. A realtor recommended to buy anywhere, points to MF balance. After much reading, research, etc. considering purchasing at the Craigendarroch, maybe Carlsbad, or some property in FL or LAS that would only be to get the points because not particularly interested in regularly vacationing in LAS or FL. Any thoughts on how to decide? Thank you!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I think points. However, our first actual trip may be Hilton Villamoura (Algarve, Portugal) or Hilton Conrad also in Algarve (next August 2019) or Craigendarroch. A realtor recommended to buy anywhere, points to MF balance. After much reading, research, etc. considering purchasing at the Craigendarroch, maybe Carlsbad, or some property in FL or LAS that would only be to get the points because not particularly interested in regularly vacationing in LAS or FL. Any thoughts on how to decide? Thank you!

If you are buying buying points to MF’s, Craigendartoach or Vegas would your best bet. Carlsbad has pretty high MF’s, but the buy in can be lower. It may have changed, but the enrollment fee at MarBrisa in Carlsbad used to be $999 for certain units. Neither Seapoint nor Palisades can be purchased resale, I believe.

Here is a handy little spreadsheet @GT75 has made that gives the breakdown in points to MF’s. I may be biased, but a 2 bedroom platinum at The Flamingo falls in the sweet spot for US properties for buy in and MF’s per points. It has no ROFR and has MF’s that are just a bit higher than HGVC on the Boulevard in Vegas. Craigendarroach is still the best in MF’s and even buy in price, though.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are buying buying points to MF’s, Craigendartoach or Vegas would your best bet. Carlsbad has pretty high MF’s, but the buy in can be lower. It may have changed, but the enrollment fee at MarBrisa in Carlsbad used to be $999 for certain units. Neither Seapoint nor Palisades can be purchased resale, I believe.

Here is a handy little spreadsheet @GT75 has made that gives the breakdown in points to MF’s. I may be biased, but a 2 bedroom platinum at The Flamingo falls in the sweet spot for US properties for buy in and MF’s per points. It has no ROFR and has MF’s that are just a bit higher than HGVC on the Boulevard in Vegas. Craigendarroach is still the best in MF’s and even buy in price, though.

Thank you SO very much, dayooper! Awesome feedback. One last question, if you don't mind? Why does the Flamingo not have ROFR? Anything to worry about? And why is that an advantage? Closing time shorter? Did I get that right?

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please note that Vilamoura availability may be limited depending on how far out you want to book. Also Conrad or Hilton hotels are typically not worth the conversion rate when calculating based on maintenance and club fees (1:25) conversion rate.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you SO very much, dayooper! Awesome feedback. One last question, if you don't mind? Why does the Flamingo not have ROFR? Anything to worry about? And why is that an advantage? Closing time shorter? Did I get that right?

It was the first HGVC resort built and it wasn’t written into the deeds. They wrote the ROFR into the deeds in resorts built later. It really helps when you buy as you can purchase the timeshare at any price and HGVC can’t buy it back. I purchased my Flamingo 2 bedroom platinum for $4500. Normally, any 2 bedroom platinum would be bought back by HGVC at that price. Since there was no ROFR, I got a pretty good price. It also helps when you sell as purchasers know that any accepted offer will go through.

Many of the the affiliates and resorts built outside of HGVC don’t have it, including MarBrisa in Carlsbad.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Anything to worry about? And why is that an advantage?

It is an advantage because HGVC can not buy the unit underneath you. It will automatically pass ROFR.

Closing time shorter? Did I get that right?

No, not really I believe. It must still go through the same process. You can hopefully buy it cheaper.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was the first HGVC resort built and it wasn’t written into the deeds. They wrote the ROFR into the deeds in resorts built later. It really helps when you buy as you can purchase the timeshare at any price and HGVC can’t buy it back. I purchased my Flamingo 2 bedroom platinum for $4500. Normally, any 2 bedroom platinum would be bought back by HGVC at that price. Since there was no ROFR, I got a pretty good price. It also helps when you sell as purchasers know that any accepted offer will go through.

Many of the the affiliates and resorts built outside of HGVC don’t have it, including MarBrisa in Carlsbad.

So, you would not consider MarBrisa then, I gather ;-)
How in the world were you able to find a 2 bedr Platinum at the Flamingo for $4500? I like your comment about the advantages when/if you sell.

I got a realtor quote about Flamingo earlier this morning and it was $6500 for a 2 bedrm. Not such a great deal compared to yours then. Sigh. Thanks again for your input!!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How in the world were you able to find a 2 bedr Platinum at the Flamingo for $4500? I like your comment about the advantages when/if you sell.

I got a realtor quote about Flamingo earlier this morning and it was $6500 for a 2 bedrm. Not such a great deal compared to yours then. Sigh. Thanks again for your input!!

Since May, I have seen two for $4500, one for $4000 and one for $3900. You just have to be patient and keep looking. The two lowest priced ones were here on Tug’s marketplace! I found mine on Redweek and the the other I saw on the sold section on eBay. $6500 is not a bad deal and there may be some room for negotiation. Anything in Non-Trump Vegas (MF’s too high) that’s sold for around a dollar per point or less is a decent deal.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I got a realtor quote about Flamingo earlier this morning and it was $6500 for a 2 bedrm. Not such a great deal compared to yours then.

I have always felt that this time of year is a great time to buy. I always use the fact that MFs will be due on January 1st. So, you can tell the realtor what you are willing to pay (because the seller might let it go because of MFs coming due soon). Remember that the realtor works for both the selling and buyer in this case.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good for buyers. Just know as a seller you will get lowball offers because buyers know there is no ROFR and are looking for a deal.

OTOH you didnt pay much so your loss is minimal.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
Always keep in mind opportunity lost when searching for the very best deal. I bought a Flamingo 7000 point this year for 6250 as I was going to Hawaii and have been consistently going through my points and borrowing. I saved at least $1500 for the two weeks spent there versus open season and higher hotel taxes versus points use ( around14.50 % for open season around 4% using points). If you look at renting a condo with kitchen or renting through booking.com for say Hawaii waiting to buy the best price can cost you. I now have a 7000 at Flamingo, a 7000 at Paradise, and 4800 at Flamingo all Platinum and it is still not enough as we are retired and like extended stays. Curt

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

If you got a realtor quote then there is commission added, the seller won’t get $6500. When you can deal direct with the seller a lower price can be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 I was looking for Flamingo deals on 7k pt units and there were no $4000 ish deals until recently. You may need to wait a while

Frankly anything in Vegas at $1 a point or less plus closing costs is a good deal. Especially when you compare retail. This is splitting hairs.

Last edited:

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since May, I have seen two for $4500, one for $4000 and one for $3900. You just have to be patient and keep looking. The two lowest priced ones were here on Tug’s marketplace! I found mine on Redweek and the the other I saw on the sold section on eBay. $6500 is not a bad deal and there may be some room for negotiation. Anything in Non-Trump Vegas (MF’s too high) that’s sold for around a dollar per point or less is a decent deal.

Got it. Thank you!!

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always felt that this time of year is a great time to buy. I always use the fact that MFs will be due on January 1st. So, you can tell the realtor what you are willing to pay (because the selling my let it go because of MFs coming due soon). Remember that the realtor works for both the selling and buyer in this case.

Interesting point!! The realtor told me that it is a seller's market (same as regular real estate is behaving right now) so sellers have all the 'power' and are not willing to negotiate. Not sure if that really does apply to TS.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Interesting point!! The realtor told me that it is a seller's market (same as regular real estate is behaving right now) so sellers have all the 'power' and are not willing to negotiate. Not sure if that really does apply to TS.

Personally i am not sure its every really a sellers market with timeshares. There is always people looking to get out from their ownership and annual MF.

Yes there are some units that are more desirable than others, and those may command a premium, but bargains do come up if your willing to wait.

2travelinggoatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you got a realtor quote then there is commission added, the seller won’t get $6500. When you can deal direct with the seller a lower price can be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I was wondering where they added their commission. Indeed, on the asking price. Makes sense. Thank you.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Who is the broker you are working with?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I got my Elite status when purchasing Surf Club, but that was a few years ago. Some on Facebook posted a few days ago that their resale from a SW Florida sales office didn't count toward Elite, but I am suspect of some of those posts since there are a few HGVC sales people in that group that constantly spread misinformation. But who knows, the rules might have changed.

Kurt

If I understand it correctly, it is NOT the resort that makes the resale purchase count toward Elite, it is if the resale transaction is made by an Authorized HGVC reseller. Again if my understand is correct, even if I owned a 2 BR at Surf Club and wanted to sell it to a TUG member for say $10,000, it wouldn't count toward Elite for that member. But if I offered it up for sale through an HGVC Authorized Reseller perhaps they would charge say $15000 and it would count toward Elite.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly anything in Vegas at $1 a point or less plus closing costs is a good deal. Especially when you compare retail. This is splitting hairs.

I'll modify this to say that any Platinum week in Vegas at $1/point or less is a good deal. Not so much on Gold. I have two Vegas Gold weeks that I purchased before I really understood the distinction well enough on unit size versus MF. I got them for $3500 and $3000, so $0.70 and $0.67. In the end, I don't consider these good deals because of the point/MF ratio as compared to a 7000 point Platinum at the same MF, leading to a ratio almost 30% less.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll modify this to say that any Platinum week in Vegas at $1/point or less is a good deal. Not so much on Gold. I have two Vegas Gold weeks that I purchased before I really understood the distinction well enough on unit size versus MF. I got them for $3500 and $3000, so $0.70 and $0.67. In the end, I don't consider these good deals because of the point/MF ratio as compared to a 7000 point Platinum at the same MF, leading to a ratio almost 30% less.

Cheers.

This. I would suggest buying a platinum 2 bedroom interval as your base to start out with and acquire more points if you need them.