• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are the auto upgrades working for anyone?

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had an upgrade recently .. Anyone had one for the holiday, Thanksgiving or Christmas? have been testing out the upgrade feature and can get instant upgrades have not seen any auto.. I have made a reservation for the week after Thanksgiving in a resort that has all rooms available.. I chose a 1 bedroom and did not take the instant upgrade.. Then after the reservation was made I modified it for an upgrade.. 1 week later 2 and 3 bedrooms are still in inventory but no upgrade..

This was just for testing purposes.. Could it be that Wyndham has turned off auto upgrades on peoples account?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I have a reservation that I requested an upgrade on to the next larger presidential reserve unit. That unit has been sitting there for the last several days and my reservation hasn't upgraded.

What ever they did during that last website update sure screwed things up. Hard to believe we are still at that stage where for every two steps forward they take one step back.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
The upgrades are first booked and higher VIP levels first? Not sure about upgrades during peak travel. Maybe the malfunction is why the website is shut down today

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
At time of booking my me, About 70% of the time.

When booking and then waiting for an upgrade, at a time of year when upgrades are likely, about 30%.
When booking and then waiting for an upgrade, at a time when upgrades are unlikely and impossible, 0%.

I used to get more upgrades with the old system then this new one, that in a FACT.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did get one at national harbour for thanksgiving week that auto upgraded. It was a 1 bd for overflow and it auto-upgraded to a 2 bd.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
i got a grand desert auto upgrade upgrade in September, but have not tried an auto upgrade recently.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Just received upgrade to 2 br Thanksgiving week at the smoky Mountains (Governors crossing) .

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Just yesterday, I got an upgrade from 1 BR Deluxe to 2BR Deluxe at Bonnet Creek for Thanksgiving Week (Nov 1-24). Tried to book the 1BR unit again but I never saw it. Hope a Tugger got it.

That's the first auto-upgrade I've seen in while but my level of activity is very low this time of year. I'm using what few points I have to book instant upgrades to discounted units. They are marginally desirable units (see my posts in LMR) so I don't expect much. I can always roll the points into 2019.

Elizabeth O.

Reaction score
We just got an auto update at Bali Hai, to a 3 BR Presidential, upper level, for December 7 to December 14.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Day 5 and the larger unit is still sitting there but my reservation hasn't received the automatic upgrade.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Day 5 and the larger unit is still sitting there but my reservation hasn't received the automatic upgrade.

I wonder if it's only for certain resorts? Some owners get them, and others do not.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I wonder if it's only for certain resorts? Some owners get them, and others do not.

I've had an automatic upgrade at this resort before. I was hoping for a larger unit than the unit that is currently sitting there so I'm hanging in there hoping someone else books this unit and a larger one becomes available. If not I will cancel what I have as I have a back up plan. I made a back up plan after it occurred to me that if the reservation I have won't upgrade to a two bedroom it might not upgrade to a 3 bedroom if one becomes available either.

It seems like when it works it works but it just doesn't work all the time. A number of people have seen a larger unit sitting there day after day but they still don't get the automatic upgrade. And if they didn't care about getting the upgrade they could book the larger unit. If someone else has also requested that same automatic upgrade they aren't getting it either since the larger unit is still there. This has been reported as happening at enough different resorts and still continues to happen which indicates 17 months later there is still a major flaw in the system they either haven't been able to fix or haven't tried all that hard to fix.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to figure out.. I finally got an upgrade for the dummy reservation from a 1 bedroom -2 bedroom.. . The time of booking all units were available.. I just wanted to see if something was wrong with my account... Just wondering if Wyndham is in line first for the upgrades? You would think there would be more availability since the mega renters are gone..

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
That's what I was trying to figure out.. I finally got an upgrade for the dummy reservation from a 1 bedroom -2 bedroom.. . The time of booking all units were available.. I just wanted to see if something was wrong with my account... Just wondering if Wyndham is in line first for the upgrades? You would think there would be more availability since the mega renters are gone..

There was a lot of back and forth about whether or not the mega renters had a big impact on availability. A lot of people thought if the mega renters were not booking the rooms, they would have a better shot at getting the room. In theory that is correct. However, mega renters only made a small percentage of the owners. If they normally booked 10 rooms during Fourth of July (a prime week), then Getting rid of them means 10 more units are available. Unfortunately, there are 100 people in line for that same room. You may never see better availability but at least it’s more fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I guess what it comes down to is we can't say the auto upgrade feature is not working at all. But, we can say it isn't working as it was touted a year ago last May, when it was billed as a major enhancement.

The owners who have no ability to upgrade don't seem to notice any difference. For those of us who can upgrade, it is at best a major disappointment and at worst, a significant decrease in the benefits of ownership.

Way to go Wyndham!! Help strikes again!

Last edited:

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Very true
I guess what it comes down to is we can't say the auto upgrade feature is not working at all. But, we can say it isn't working as it was touted a year ago last May, when it was billed as a major enhancement.

The owners who have no ability to upgrade don't seem to notice any difference. For those of us who can upgrade, it is at best a major disappointment and at worst, a significant decrease in the benefits of ownership.

Very true. That has been my nemesis for about two years and listening to the sales warnings of rescinding and promoting CWA as the only recourse seems to finally see a light at the end of my tunnel . The Major Enhancements offered seem to be the path away from their promotions.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Very true

Very true. That has been my nemesis for about two years and listening to the sales warnings of rescinding and promoting CWA as the only recourse seems to finally see a light at the end of my tunnel . The Major Enhancements offered seem to be the path away from their promotions.

If anyone is promising you things will be better by switching to CWA that is clearly a lie.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Also, it does appear the instant upgrade are working. The following is a example:

"Wyndham Vacation Resorts at National Harbor
National Harbor, Maryland

• CHECK-IN Dec 16, 2018 4pm

• CHECK OUT Dec 22, 2018 10am

• PRICE
    MORE
    157,500 78,750 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 3 Bedroom Deluxe with Balcony

• Managed By Wyndham | National Harbor

• UPGRADE Upgraded - Oct 27, 2018
Helpful Hints

• Parking on-site is available for $20 per night. The parking facility is not affiliated with the resort."
2nd example:

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove at North Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Area, South Carolina

• CHECK-IN Dec 27, 2018 4pm

• CHECK OUT Jan 03, 2019 10am

• PRICE
    MORE
    146,000 73,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 2 Bedroom Boulevard

• Managed By Wyndham

• UPGRADE Upgraded - Oct 27, 2018

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think the instant upgrade is working any better than the auto upgrade and I'm surprised that someone who hangs out here on the board as much as you do could think otherwise.

Both work some of the time; neither works as advertised or in any predictable, consistent manner. There are dozens of examples here on the Wyndham forum of units being available that the system won't upgrade to, even if we acknowledge that an upgrade means more bedrooms, better view, or Deluxe to Presidential.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Any example of it working, in any mutated fashion that it should (any instant upgrade or once in a while an auto upgrade) seems to satisfy Wyndham that it is working. That way they can spend their time enhancing the system to support points protection.:confused:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am not having any significant problem with instant upgrades at Williamsburg Va. Spot checks of Myrtle Beach from time to time shows availability except for summer season. Some checks of Orlando area shows some especially at Star Island and Cypress Palms.. Will check a couple of others.

Here is another one:

Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Sevierville, Tennessee

• CHECK-IN Dec 09, 2018 4pm

• CHECK OUT Dec 16, 2018 10am

• PRICE
    MORE
    148,000 74,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 3 Bedroom Deluxe

• Managed By Wyndham

• UPGRADE Upgraded - Oct 28, 2018
Here is another one:

Wyndham Skyline Tower
Atlantic City, New Jersey

• CHECK-IN Dec 15, 2018 4pm

• PRICE
    MORE
    126,000 63,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 2 Bedroom Deluxe

• Managed By Wyndham

Maybe others may post some resorts of interest to them.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No one says it never works. Most of us say it doesn't work like it should.

Example 1: Emerald Grande, December 8-15. The 3BR Deluxe Pool View will only upgrade to the 3BR Plus Bay View. No increase in the number of BRs, and a worse view than the 3BR Pool View. The is a 3BR Presidential available. Since I am a PresRes owner, I should be offered that as an upgrade.

Example 2: Panama City Beach, December 15-22. The Studio Lower Level doesn't upgrade to anything. You go straight to the page to enter Traveler Information. Studio Upper Level upgrades (for me) to a 2BR Presidential. I don't know what a VIP member non-PresRes would be offered. The 1BR Deluxe LL doesn't upgrade to anything. Depending on how one thinks instant upgrades should work, the 1BR LL could upgrade to a 1BR Deluxe Upper Level, a 2BR Deluxe, or a 2BR Presidential. Instead, it upgrades to none of those.

Example 3: Ocean Walk, December 15-22. The 1 Bedroom doesn't upgrade to anything. But, the 1BR Suite, a lower rated unit, will upgrade to a 2BR Deluxe. So will the 1BR Deluxe. The 2BR Deluxe will not upgrade to the 2BR Lock Off. So, there is no way to upgrade to the 2BR Lock Off.

You're sounding like a Wyndham apologist, Robert.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're sounding like a Wyndham apologist, Robert.

That is worth a giggle!

Actually I've been hit or miss with PCB. I did report it to a woman whom I met at the owner's meeting. Of course I decided to go to FL fior Thanksgiving so that probably explains it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is worth a giggle!

Actually I've been hit or miss with PCB. I did report it to a woman whom I met at the owner's meeting. Of course I decided to go to FL fior Thanksgiving so that probably explains it.

Hit or miss is the same thing as unpredictable. Both mean it doesn't work like it should.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding your example number 2, the following instant upgrade is showing for me. I am a non-Presidential Reserve VIP Plat member. I have never ruled out that different Wyndham Destinations point type may see different available at 10 months and under, including instant upgrades and automatic upgrades.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, Florida

• CHECK-IN Dec 15, 2018 4pm

• PRICE
    MORE
    84,000 42,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 1 Bedroom Lower Level

• Managed By Wyndham | Panama City Beach