• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You will NEVER be invited to an owner update again!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yea, that’s what they told us several years ago, and yet they always call and invite us. It’s probably been 7 or 8 years since we attended so we decided it was time to let them take their shot at our wallet again and see what might have changed. Maybe they’ll tell us they’ll never invite us back to another owner update again?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If I'm never invited to one of these again, fine by me.
Sorry, but I will never agree to another ear boxing.
I consider my remaining time on earth too valuable.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yea, that’s what they told us several years ago, and yet they always call and invite us. It’s probably been 7 or 8 years since we attended so we decided it was time to let them take their shot at our wallet again and see what might have changed. Maybe they’ll tell us they’ll never invite us back to another owner update again?

Totally agree but sometimes I’m in the mood to mess with their heads just for fun. I love to pull out my phone and show them the bucker timeshares in their area. Or, tell them everything they say is being recorded and I hope they don’t mind. Or showing their math makes absolutely no sense on the same piece of paper they are using. My favourite is showing them their BBB file if it’s an F rating with complaints stating they are liars.

Time wasted but watching them spin up is just a lot of fun and then grabbing the 100 bux on the way out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The math was dizzying. I think it’s the first time I’ve seen the usage of buying a timeshare as a good retirement investment. The last chance offer was to trade our current every year ownership of 7,000 points with a MF around $1,000/year for a 9,300 EOY Kingsland deed and $1,300 EOY MF’s. Probably because I told the salesman my plan at retirement was to dump our timeshares because it was looking like the escalation in MF’s was going to eventually put them out of our budget. Of course I’d have to lay out a few thousand more to own less than I do now. Made absolutely NO sense what-so-ever to make that change unless I absolutely wanted to own and stay at Kingsland, which we don’t.

Other info: 20 new resorts with several in Asia. While traditional resorts will maintain their point structure, newer “premium” resorts will cost more in points and have no “off” season. No more offers for equity trade ins (this was our last chance).

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

We usually avoid them like the plague but, we didn’t have plans for a Sunday morning anyway and it had been many years since our last encounter. Overall this one was pleasant enough. Of course it went on a little longer then advertised, 90 minutes vs 60, but at least it wasn’t adversarial like a few we’ve been on.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Other info: 20 new resorts with several in Asia. While traditional resorts will maintain their point structure, newer “premium” resorts will cost more in points and have no “off” season. No more offers for equity trade ins (this was our last chance).

Could this be why the Anantara affiliation is ending? Of course this is your last chance for a trade in . . . until you decide to do another owners update.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Could this be why the Anantara affiliation is ending? Of course this is your last chance for a trade in . . . until you decide to do another owners update.

We’ve never received a great deal of truth out of these “updates”. I’ve heard the words “you’ll never again be able too.... “ or “This is your last chance” more times than I care to mention. The constant to every update has been their willingness to exploit anything you tell them to motivate you to spend more money. Either that or they fall back on the tried and true scare tactic of upgrade or you’ll be lost behind everyone else with higher priority or greater benefits.

I’m still dumbfounded they attempted to get me to pay $12,000 to have a deed that offered fewer points than what I have now, just to save $350/year in MF’s.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Please, no more of these so-called resorts updates or what ever they want to call them in 2018.
I am sick of the lies and the high pressure sale tactics . No more sales presentation.

Well, this time they really didn’t lie. Maybe some creative math and lunatic thinking (buy a timeshare as retirements a retirement investment). Even the bad deal they offered they were upfront about it. I believe it was the result of me stating MF’s we’re reaching a point of no return where more owners would default as income wasn’t keeping up with MF increases.

Still, give up 7,000 points /yearly for 9,300points EOY and pay 12,000for the privilege has me shaking my head. Especially since I’m sure they offered it because someone actually buys it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That is a pretty poor deal. We usually attend because we got a VIP stay or some other deal. I do like to go in NYC when we visit because they are civil and no other location knows what's new in NYC.

I view the VIP and other discounted stays as a way to stretch our points from our original dev purchase. You can fool me once...We are polite and say no.

BTW we were told the same at our update earlier this year. This was our first preso where we officially had a resale in our portfolio. Time will tell.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a period when they stopped offering us tours. I miss those days. It seems like when they started building new towers we got back on their list. I think they just want as many bodies as possible through the door.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Well, at least we had a very nice meal at Chart House for our time. Not that we’ll be inclined to do another owners update again anytime soon. I wonder if it makes sense to buy a resale week, just to get off their radar?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...I wonder if it makes sense to buy a resale week, just to get off their radar?

It'd be cheaper to invest in caller-ID.
When they called, it showed "Hilton." I always let it go to voicemail.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
There was a period when they stopped offering us tours. I miss those days. It seems like when they started building new towers we got back on their list. I think they just want as many bodies as possible through the door.

I miss the former days also, but I think that you nailed it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'm never invited to one of these again, fine by me.

Our last one was 15 minutes, with 10 of those spent talking about places we lived. It was very pleasant and netted us $200. That's worth my time.

Cheers.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
It'd be cheaper to invest in caller-ID.
When they called, it showed "Hilton." I always let it go to voicemail.
Somehow one got through and I answered it. Ended up taking the offer as It was pretty good but YES indeed you have to sit through an "owner's update". I have never been through one so I figure I will just see what's up. I am certainly not buying retail again that is for sure....

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Our last one was 15 minutes, with 10 of those spent talking about places we lived. It was very pleasant and netted us $200. That's worth my time.

Yes, I would do it for that also. The last one which I had netted free ski lift tickets for Deer Valley worth around $260 but I had to listen for 60 minutes with no sales offer.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This year when we did our annual "Owners Update" at Point at Poipu (Diamond Resorts), they asked us if we wanted to be placed on a standing "Not interested in owner's update" list. We declined. If we can hold them to 60 minutes, which we have been able to do recently, it's worth the time.

Every now and then one of our kids, all adults and who go to Hawaii with us, will do one of the updates to get some bennies. I'm pleased to say they all easily see through the charades.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
About the only peep who I will sit still for an hour of my time are
my doctor(s), my dentist and my hairstylist (~20m), and my DW.