• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Developers/HOAs pay the same Maintenance fee as Owners?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I’m just curious. If the HOA owns some units, do they pay the same maintenance fee amount that owners are charged? Or, do they not factor in those units and just calculate Maintenance fees based on active ownership? The same question holds true with Developer owned weeks.

I know owners pay for owner defaults through bad debt expenses in their maintenance fees. Which, at least in theory, means you are paying more than your week as this money applies to non performing inventory fees in weeks you don’t own. I assume bad debt expenses would cover foreclosure costs too. Once foreclosed, I assume the HOA pays the maintenance fees until sold. But, maybe that’s taken out of bad debt expenses too.

Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I can't say about HOA weeks but generally Developer owned weeks pay MF. I would assume HOA owned weeks don't as the HOA would pay and the only place they would get the money to pay is from other owners.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I can't say about HOA weeks but generally Developer owned weeks pay MF. I would assume HOA owned weeks don't as the HOA would pay and the only place they would get the money to pay is from other owners.

Ok, so we can assume the developer pays the same amount as regular owners to the HOA.

If the HOA does not pay maintenance fees, I am safe to assume they try to rent their units and apply that towards maintenance costs. If they are short, the owners are the ones pitching in to the costs? You are right, the owner probably gets stuck with any shortfall regardless.

I would also assume they have a duty to try to rent out their units as best they can to offshoot costs to other owners?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/who_runs_my_timeshare.html

According to this TUG article, the actual owner of the resort is the HOA. The “owners” are really members but have a say.

I suppose since the HOA owns the resort, they are not members in a sense. The membership pays dues or maintenance fees to remain a member.

The reason why I’m asking is I know a board member of an HOA and he said the owners pay 32 percent of their fees to cover HOA owned units. It’s 32 percent because they have 32 percent of the weeks. He did say they try to rent out these units to offshoot costs and try hard to resell too. I do suspect though most HOAs don’t own many weeks.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I do suspect though most HOAs don’t own many weeks
I think you'd be surprised how many units most HOAs own, through foreclosures for nonpayment of maintenance fees, heirs that choose not to accept the unit, etc.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I think you'd be surprised how many units most HOAs own, through foreclosures for nonpayment of maintenance fees, heirs that choose not to accept the unit, etc.

Yes, I was surprised at 32 percent. Mind you, this is a legacy resort and that might explain the number.

Maybe that’s why dues or fees or assessments are averaging over 1 k per member to cover this?

Knowing this, one is best to get into high demand resorts with very low non performing inventory. It’s a question to ask the HOA before taking the plunge to buy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Knowing this, one is best to get into high demand resorts with very low non performing inventory. It’s a question to ask the HOA before taking the plunge to buy.

The HOA has no obligation to provide this info to a non-owner.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The HOA has no obligation to provide this info to a non-owner.

True but then it can be perceived that they have something to hide and you wouldn’t proceed with the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
True but then it can be perceived that they have something to hide and you wouldn’t proceed with the purchase.

I don't think this is accurate - I think you are expecting HOA's to do something that is not part of their function. It's simply not their job to assist non-owners, who are buying resale. Besides, this isn't info that can be "hidden," because it's part of their annual financial report that they send to owners - who they do have an obligation to.

If it's a small local resort, with onsite HOA management employees that you can go in and talk to, you might get some info. But if you request info from any of the large corporate HOA's, I think they will simply ignore you.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/who_runs_my_timeshare.html

According to this TUG article, the actual owner of the resort is the HOA. The “owners” are really members but have a say.

I suppose since the HOA owns the resort, they are not members in a sense. The membership pays dues or maintenance fees to remain a member.

The reason why I’m asking is I know a board member of an HOA and he said the owners pay 32 percent of their fees to cover HOA owned units. It’s 32 percent because they have 32 percent of the weeks. He did say they try to rent out these units to offshoot costs and try hard to resell too. I do suspect though most HOAs don’t own many weeks.

This article's contention that the HOA is an owner of the resort is completely wrong from a legal perspective. The Association generally doesn't own anything at all, not even the common areas. Also, the bylaws are not particularly important, at least as compared to the CC&Rs.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I don't think this is accurate - I think you are expecting HOA's to do something that is not part of their function. It's simply not their job to assist non-owners, who are buying resale. Besides, this isn't info that can be "hidden," because it's part of their annual financial report that they send to owners - who they do have an obligation to.

If it's a small local resort, with onsite HOA management employees that you can go in and talk to, you might get some info. But if you request info from any of the large corporate HOA's, I think they will simply ignore you.

I have looked at many HOA financial reports to owners with MF bills and have never seen them disclose their non performing inventory numbers.

You are right, HOAs are not obliged to talk to non owners. However that can be perceived either rightly or not as hiding something. Prior to posting this my friend who owns a timeshare asked his HOA for the number of timeshares they currently held and they told him they aren’t obliged to share that information either.

You are so right about small resorts and thats why maybe they are the way to go because they seem more cooperative then the big corporates.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The HOA are made up of the owners. The owners pay bad debts from weeks where either the owner doesn't pay or they are HOA held weeks. If the HOA can perhaps rent out the weeks that they hold, they can offset the bad debts to some extent. So in reality, the HOA, AKA owners, are paying additional MFs to cover HOA held weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For developers, they may or may not be paying the same MFs as owners. In Florida at least, they can provide a guarantee when a resort is being built out. If the amount of MFs collected from those that have already purchased isn't enough to cover all the costs of operating the resort, the developer provides the difference as the guarantee. It may not be the same amount that those weeks would cost if they were sold to owners. There are also developer subsidies within MFs when a resort is new, but that is usually just there to deflate the MFs to make it an easier sell.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
For developers, they may or may not be paying the same MFs as owners. In Florida at least, they can provide a guarantee when a resort is being built out. If the amount of MFs collected from those that have already purchased isn't enough to cover all the costs of operating the resort, the developer provides the difference as the guarantee. It may not be the same amount that those weeks would cost if they were sold to owners. There are also developer subsidies within MFs when a resort is new, but that is usually just there to deflate the MFs to make it an easier sell.

Thanks. This is what makes maintenance fee assessments flawed and in my view deceptive. The common thinking is each owner pays the same based on what they purchased. So if they purchased a week or 1/52 of a unit, they think they should pay 1/52 and 1/52 of all units for common area. Yet, if they pay for HOA units, developer units and whatever else, they are paying more than what they purchased. Yet, they only get to use one week.

This explains why a weekly maintenance fee bill can hit 1 k and up which results in a rise in defaults. Its like a deck of cards that can potentially fall if the fees get out of hand.

Its really too bad these costs aren’t fully disclosed prior to making a purchase decision. At least if you knew you might be paying other peoples bills, you go in with your eyes wide open and can accept that you will pay more than what you purchased.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks. This is what makes maintenance fee assessments flawed and in my view deceptive. The common thinking is each owner pays the same based on what they purchased. So if they purchased a week or 1/52 of a unit, they think they should pay 1/52 and 1/52 of all units for common area. Yet, if they pay for HOA units, developer units and whatever else, they are paying more than what they purchased. Yet, they only get to use one week.

This explains why a weekly maintenance fee bill can hit 1 k and up which results in a rise in defaults. Its like a deck of cards that can potentially fall if the fees get out of hand.

Its really too bad these costs aren’t fully disclosed prior to making a purchase decision. At least if you knew you might be paying other peoples bills, you go in with your eyes wide open and can accept that you will pay more than what you purchased.

It is not just timeshares. This is how it works with all HOA’s, houses, condos, townhomes, co-ops. I own a house in a community that has an HOA for the shared amenities in the community. For the houses that don’t pay the rest of us have to make up the difference including the legal costs to make them pay.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
It is not just timeshares. This is how it works with all HOA’s, houses, condos, townhomes, co-ops. I own a house in a community that has an HOA for the shared amenities in the community. For the houses that don’t pay the rest of us have to make up the difference including the legal costs to make them pay.

Oh my have i been lucky. Every house Ive owned i have never had HOA fees.

Say do you receive a check or credit if they end up paying in full?

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since paying owners are in effect paying the maintenance fees on these weeks it would be nice if they got some value of that. Some resorts are good at trying to rent them out. I would love to see resorts go to free weeks of use for their owners. If 20% are in default then every five years a free week that can be reserved or deposited for exchange is available.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

When I stay (exchange) at an independent timeshare our check in material often includes a list of HOA owned weeks for sale. If they don't do that, there is often a sign in the lobby to the effect of "Ask us about available weeks to buy"

The lists are usually one to two pages in not very large type.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
When I stay (exchange) at an independent timeshare our check in material often includes a list of HOA owned weeks for sale. If they don't do that, there is often a sign in the lobby to the effect of "Ask us about available weeks to buy"

The lists are usually one to two pages in not very large type.

Thats good to know. It could be possible to calculate costs by adding up the timeshares for sale. I have seen in the HOA newsletters offering resales just not the number available.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

This is the one thing I do not like about community living, though we will be looking into those when we move. You get tied into the rules of the hOA and other owners' problems and so on.Bad enough we are already tied into the town we live in and taxed to the hilt (through school and property taxes)for things that have nothing to do with what we utilize.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

This is the one thing I do not like about community living, though we will be looking into those when we move. You get tied into the rules of the HOA and other owners' problems and so on.Bad enough we are already tied into the town we live in and taxed to the hilt (through school and property taxes)for things that have nothing to do with what we utilize.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh my have i been lucky. Every house Ive owned i have never had HOA fees.

Say do you receive a check or credit if they end up paying in full?

Money goes back into HOA accounts towards HOA expenses.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the one thing I do not like about community living, though we will be looking into those when we move. You get tied into the rules of the hOA and other owners' problems and so on.Bad enough we are already tied into the town we live in and taxed to the hilt (through school and property taxes)for things that have nothing to do with what we utilize.
Community living has its advantages and disadvantages. For me the advantages outweighs the disadvantages.