• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how do you contact marriott to get points back from category downgrade

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I read this somewhere on the forum, but cannot find it. We purchased 2, 5 night category certificates. One was a category 8. How can we contact Marriott, special e-mail??, to get points put back into our account, since Cat. 7 has same point value as Cat. 8.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you intending to drop them to Cat 7? If so, you won't get points back as your certificates will simply be downgraded and used for Cat 7 hotels.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
There is no clear path for getting this accomplished. Some of us submitted a request following the link above. An email response from Marriott stated that they were unable to process the request at this time and to resubmit the request in 10 business days. Subsequently, the 'Package deals" selection was removed from the drop down list, and that is where we stand today. Reading the questions and the responses from the "community managers" restates the process of submitting the request, but does not acknowledge the removal of the package deals drop down option. Stay tuned, like everything else regarding the transition, time will tell.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Did you have your package attached to a reservation? I have 2 Cat 8 packages, now Cat 5 that I attached before 8/18. Is is also 30k for 5 night packages?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Did you have your package attached to a reservation? I have 2 Cat 8 packages, now Cat 5 that I attached before 8/18. Is is also 30k for 5 night packages?

I’m also curious on how Marriott handles the 30k return if a Cat8 is already attached to a reservation. Do they refund the 30k, modify the 5 night cert and re-attach? I don’t want to lose my reservation.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would expect unattached certificates to definitely be able to get this refund. I think attached certificates may be a little less clear on how they go about it.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
According to a Marriott CSR the hotel portion of 5 night travel pkgs cannot be converted to new TPs with the new categories. I sent the following to Marriott's customer care dept. It will be curious to see if I get any response.

I just got off the phone with a Marriott CSR, I was trying to accomplish two things:

1) Convert my 5 night travel certificate (a cat. 6 from the month prior to Aug 18th) into a cat 1-4 post merger cert.

2) Attach the new cert. to an existing points reservation.

In a well publicized memo, Marriott stated that since, post merger, both cat 5 and cat 6 certs would become cat 1-4 certs. Since the owner of a cat 6 cert had surrendered more points then a cat 5, Marriott would return 30K MR points to the owner's account balance.

When I asked the CSR to perform items 1 & 2 above and to return the appropriate MR points to my balance, she informed me that my cert was an MVC 5 night cert and that there would be no return of MR points to my account. I mentioned the publicized memo and she articulated further, that since this was an MVC owner's cert Marriott does not allow any type of conversion to the post merger categories. In other words, not only was I to receive no points but I would be unable to convert the (valid) cert to a post merger cat 1-4 cert.

After being on hold for a period of time, the CSR returned and said that a supervisor had mistakenly deleted my cat 6 cert and because of this the supervisor would issue a one time exception new cat 1-4 cert that was then attached to my existing points reservation.

I have two issues with this situation:

1) There must be at least a thousand or more unattached old pre merger 5 day certs that MVC owners have currently sitting in their accounts. These were purchased with valid MR points from their accounts, so it would be totally irresponsible for Marriott not to have a standard means for converting these certs to new post merger certs. Clearly they have value and, as long as they are not expired, should be converted on demand to an equivalent new post merger cert.

2) Marriott, to its credit, deemed that 7 day catagory 6 (and 8) when converted, should be done so in a manner in which 30K MR points are refunded to the owner's account balance. Why, then, would they not treat the 5 night cat 6 or 8 certs in the same manner? I purchased a pre merger cat 6 for 250K MR points. A cat 5 cert, at that time, cost 235K. If you are to treat the 5 night certs in the same manner as the 7 night certs, I would expect to be refunded the difference between a cat 6 and cat 5 cert. So in this case 15K MR points would be refunded to my account.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="mas, post: 2198515,After being on hold for a period of time, the CSR returned and said that a supervisor had mistakenly deleted my cat 6 cert and because of this the supervisor would issue a one time exception new cat 1-4 cert that was then attached to my existing points reservation.[/QUOTE]

A great company’s customer service is struggling right now and if your looking for a refund of ~30K points beware and watch your 1 night certificate balance. A little like apples to oranges as I was dealing in simple points reservations for 5 night stays where I would get the 5th night free and not certificates. However, points requirement went down after reserving and I called but was told refund would be automatic but to wait 1 month and call back if not received (Couldn’t cancel and rebook due to room type availability). I called back after 2 months and was forwarded to a “supervisor” who, after a long wait came on and said “all was done”. Sure enough I had the additional points. LUCKILY I had been reviewing my account in anticipation of the refund and knew that just that week, I had received a 1 night certificate. IT WAS GONE. Back on the phone for about an hour to get my certificate back. This experience either raises questions about the supervisor’s competency or ethics. I hope it’s competency but have this nagging suspicion that that she didn’t know how to solve my problem and tried to take the easy way out and make me think I was getting what I wanted while playing a shell game with my account. I just don’t see how she could accidentally delete a certificate when refunding points. You would think they would be in completely separate fields if not screens.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 night category 8 attached (before the program cutover on August 2018) to ressie next summer which I may need to cancel. I called Marriott and the rep told me they will reissue a new hotel stay certificate at a category 6 with no points refund. Does this sound correct?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't pulled the trigger yet as our planned trip is still up in limbo. ..