• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should i buy?

dpablo

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

- I like to traveling to Hawaii every year for a week but normally do a big travel to another country every year

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

-I want to trade more than half the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

No idea what this means. I never traded before I am not just aware of it after signing up to Welk Resorts points based

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

-Most of the time just with my fiancée but now her family would like to travel with us

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

I like to travel anytime

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Normally destinations are planned 12 months before and activities from 1-8 months before

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes I can

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
- I prefer location over stars but if I had to choose id say about 3 but fiancé 4 and above

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Im assuming not using credit cards. Upfront 10k and possibly 15k if we both work extra days
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
1-2k
11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Id like to say so, I like everything printed out and detailed trip with times and notifications though phone APPS
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes I understand that now from reading several post. And Thank you for informing since I now have made my cancellation paper and sending it this Monday. I was bought in Welks resort in northstar 240k points for 34k They shows a paper with 68k points and gave us discount for just today and for being nurses another discount. Which it appeared over 50% discount to us. Got it because it made alot of sense to.

I also like the sales pitch of trading points with RCI or some other catalog that was shown. I like options. Next year i am planning already to visit japan. Welks gave us a round trip to thailand but since i am going to cancel the 240k points i assume i can no longer use it.

We also like doing mini trips for a couple days like san francisco or san diego seattle 2-3 days

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
- I like to traveling to Hawaii every year for a week
I recommend that you buy a 2 bdm. lock-off in Hawaii, but at the top resorts (West, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton) the maintenance fee for a 2 bdm. may be more than $2K per year, but it is still significantly less than renting at the top resorts. If you buy a lock-off, the years when you don't take family, you can split it and have 2 weeks to use, or an extra week to rent, or an extra week to exchange.

-What island do you you prefer?
-What resorts have you stayed at that you liked?

but normally do a big travel to another country every year

Timesharing doesn't work very well for most foreign travel - do you visit the same country every year, or does is change?

dpablo

Reaction score
I recommend that you buy a 2 bdm. lock-off in Hawaii, but at the top resorts (West, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton) the maintenance fee for a 2 bdm. may be more than $2K per year, but it is still significantly less than renting at the top resorts. If you buy a lock-off, the years when you don't take family, you can split it and have 2 weeks to use, or an extra week to rent, or an extra week to exchange.

-What island do you you prefer?
-What resorts have you stayed at that you liked?

Timesharing doesn't work very well for most foreign travel - do you visit the same country every year, or does is change?
Not sure what a lock off is, i gotta check on that. I like Oahu. i normally just stay at any hotels near the beach. all varies depending on deals i get on hotels.com Last year i stayed at the Aston Waikiki. To be honest i dont do stuff at the resort i am normally out adventuring. Althought i do like the bonus of a kitchen and washer and dryer.

ahhh gotcha, yes i like foreign travel and i am planning different countries for the next few years. I thought timeshares are great for foreign travel because of the sales rep that sold me the Welks and about transferring with RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A lock-off is 2 attached timeshares that can be separated with a locked door and used separately, or used with an unlocked door, as a 2 bdm. So for instance, you could use the entire 2 bdm. unit for one week, or "lock-it-off" and use one side one week, and the other side for a 2nd week.

Timeshare Sales people lie - plain and simple. He simply told you what you wanted to hear. *If international travel is your primary goal - I would not buy a timeshare, but it's great for visiting Hawaii.

You would probably like the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and I believe that resale points are reasonable:

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/h...at-hilton-hawaiian-village-HNLHWGV/index.html

A good starting point for you is to join TUG ($15) so you have access to our member's only ratings and reviews, and start browsing the Oahu timeshares. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 that you like, and then come back and ask questions about them. REVIEWS: https://tug2.com/timeshare-resorts/?Hawaii-Oahu&area=3&group=21

Last edited:

dpablo

Reaction score
great thank you. I decided to hold off on a timeshare. I love the idea of it but its not right for me. I like jumping to new places often as i can.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
great thank you. I decided to hold off on a timeshare. I love the idea of it but its not right for me. I like jumping to new places often as i can.

You could try renting a timeshare for a week without making the financial commitment of purchasing one, to see if it is something you may be interested in later in life. Check out the rentals here on TUG:
https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifieds/
Or try
RedWeek.com
Or myresortnetwork.com