• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise Questions

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone's help here has been awesome and I thank you all so much. I have a last question at this point. Vacations To Go has the best price for the cruise I want. Has anyone used them that can tell me about their experience with them and how reputable they are?
Suzanne

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A friend always uses Vacations to Go and I use 'em to search for cruises.

That said, I prefer to book thru an online agency called "Best Price Cruises,"
or directly with the cruise line, or both.*

*I booked a cruise direct w-RCCL and asked them to list BPC as the agent.
RCCL gave me $325 OBC and BPC added another $125 OBC to that.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Everyone's help here has been awesome and I thank you all so much. I have a last question at this point. Vacations To Go has the best price for the cruise I want. Has anyone used them that can tell me about their experience with them and how reputable they are?
Suzanne

Vacations To Go is well regarded, and may just give you what you want. But before you pull the trigger, make sure you check Costco.com's Travel site. They've had better prices on the two cruises I've recently booked, and offered Shipboard Credits and perks that were better than VTG had. So make sure you look at all the options. When you think about it, cruises are a lot like airfare - the ship is going to that location on that date. The decision is how much to spend to be on that ship. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne
We have used them several times and gotten personal service from their agent Donald Percell. He has gotten us upgrades, and has replied to questions at all hours. That said, normally, we shop cruises through VTG, but actually book direct with the cruise line. Since you are going on your first, even though you are getting (ahem) excellent advice here, Donald might be your best bet.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can bring a couple of bottles of water back from port stops. They just don't want people bringing alcohol aboard. That's a big profit center for the cruise line.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne, if you don't mind sharing, are you booking a cabin for one, or do they have cabins for 3? As a single, I am reluctant to book what I have heard are exorbitant costs for one person.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm pretty sure you can bring a couple of bottles of water back from port stops. They just don't want people bringing alcohol aboard. That's a big profit center for the cruise line.
The problem is that bottles of water can easily be emptied and filled with alcohol. Some cruise lines no longer allow bottles of water or soda to be brought on board, at embarkation or at port. Mainly because people dump the water out, fill with vodka (or other clear spirits). Cuts in to the cruise line profits. Going through security once for a three night cruise, I saw someone with a HUGE bottle of mouthwash that security was inspecting. Much more mouthwash than any one or two people would need for a three night cruise. While there is always the benefit of the doubt, I doubt it was mouthwash in that bottle.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I bring bottles of water on board with me on almost every cruise. Many cruise ports, especially in Europe, sell it to returning passengers at the dock (at inflated prices compared to the region, but still significantly less than on board ship). I’ve never been stopped taking water on board, even when I took a flat of water or about a dozen large Fiji water bottles (that was fun, in San Juan...).

Now that I have status I get three free bottles of water on board every day (or alcoholic drinks, though I tend to avoid those), but it’s still more convenient (and better quality) for me to bring my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uop1497

Reaction score
I would like to know if cruise lines allow passenger to bring bottle water ( store inside their luggage ) . Does he/ she needs to declare that at cruise check in counter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would like to know if cruise lines allow passenger to bring bottle water ( store inside their luggage ) . Does he/ she needs to declare that at cruise check in counter.
No. Security may find it when scanning your bags and either allow you to take it on or confiscate it based on their policy. Most lines want you to carry on any water or soda rather than put it in your luggage you leave with the porter. If you put it in checked bags, then they may not deliver your bags and ask you to pick them up and tell you what they removed. Of course all based on their policy and thoroughness of x ray.

In any case, taking water on a cruise is a waste. Water from the tap is perfectly fine and desalinated on the ship. There is nothing wrong with water on a ship and bottled water is only necessary for taking in to port. Bring a refillable bottle of some sort that you can fill on the ship and take with you.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will find bottled water in your cabin. Those original ones are free. You can refill them onboard. There is chilled, filtered water in the buffet room. If you use the bottles that will replace the original ones, you will be charged. I would NOT put water bottles in my luggage. Perhaps some booze, but not water :) you will not be asked at the check-in counter.

Jim

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I have checked Costco, the cruise line direct, as well as several other cruise websites. So far VTG has the cheapest rate. The person I have been in contact is not Donald Percell but a different agent. Would I be able to change to the agent you used? I would like to use someone that has been recommended instead of the person who received my email for information about the cruise.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am traveling alone. Since I don't know anyone that wants to do this cruise with me. I hate paying the solo fee, but if I want to do the Alaska cruise I will have to pay it. I don't know if they offer cabins for 3.
Suzanne

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I have checked Costco, the cruise line direct, as well as several other cruise websites. So far VTG has the cheapest rate. The person I have been in contact is not Donald Percell but a different agent. Would I be able to change to the agent you used? I would like to use someone that has been recommended instead of the person who received my email for information about the cruise.
Suzanne
Did you take into account the $ amount of the Costco cash card that you get back after your cruise? I have compared VTG, Costco, Crucon etc and find that Costco and Crucon are better than VTG. I believe Crucon has change fees and I won't touch them. VTG also has change fees. Costco's site is easy to use and understand the final cost.

You may think you won't make a change and are not concerned with change fees. But if the price of a cruise drops before final payment, usually 90 days before sail date, you can request for the price of your cabin to be adjusted. Costco does it readily when you call for no cost.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
VacationForever, has given you some outstanding cruise information. Please review his posts. We also uses Costco Travel because they will stand behind their contact. When you have a problem with the cruise line, just call Costco and they will resolve the problem or problems.

Good luck enjoy your cruise.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne, you can change agents at VTG. Just call and ask for him or leave a voice mail, he'll call or email back. Your preference. We have found Donald very responsive.

I'm not sure if H/A offers them, but some lines have a limited number of solo cabins for singles with no supplement. Again. Ask.

We have tried to answer all your questions. It seems like maybe we've removed some of the 'mystique ' of discovering the ins and outs of cruising. By the time you board, you'll have all the collective wisdom of frequent cruisers and miss some of the fun of finding out yourself. Otoh, knowing a year ahead of time might save you some money as well as well.

Jim

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It seems like maybe we've removed some of the 'mystique ' of discovering the ins and outs of cruising. By the time you board, you'll have all the collective wisdom of frequent cruisers and miss some of the fun of finding out yourself.
I remember on the first cruise I ever took I scoured the internet for information, trip reports, pictures, etc. of the particular cruise we were doing. Once I got onboard it was deja vu. I felt like I'd already done all the things we were doing! It did distract a bit from the whole experience. So save a little bit to discover once you're on the cruise. But, do your due diligence, of course, for the best deal you can find for yourself. Hope you have a great trip!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I too have taken a bottle of water and/or a can of Diet Coke onboard after a port day. Some cruise lines let me keep it in my backpack side pocket and send it through the security machine. Others wanted me to pass it across rather than going through. I don't think I'd get away with a whole carton of Diet Coke or water. One or two doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am traveling alone. Since I don't know anyone that wants to do this cruise with me. I hate paying the solo fee, but if I want to do the Alaska cruise I will have to pay it. I don't know if they offer cabins for 3.
Suzanne

Last minute Alaska cruises may be found without any single supplement.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Celebrity Cruise Line allow you to bring must water as you want on aboard.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks you VacationForever on that update. I guess with their various beverage packages program Celebrity Cruise wants to capture ever possible drink sale.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Celebrity and Royal Caribbean recently updated their policy to twelve 500ml bottles of water or non-alcoholic beverages per cabin as hand carry only.

Do you have a link? I’m on a RCL cruise this month... I haven’t seen any notice of a policy change and am curious.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link? I’m on a RCL cruise this month... I haven’t seen any notice of a policy change and am curious.

It is posted on both the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise critic forums, with link to their new policy. I will look for it tomorrow and post the links.

PS. I just got home from a Kenny G concert. ;)

Last edited: