• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Congratulations, time to celebrate and embrace your freedom. I believe you will adjust just fine and will find your groove. Keep doing what your heart and gut tells you. Life will take you where you need to go.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Congratulations on being professional and candid up to your last day. That your coworkers celebrated and baked cakes to acknowledge your work relationships combined with the clients demonstrated chagrin validates everything you told us about your work and your commitment to this company. Hold your head up high. Yes, you can be emotional because you cared and the clients, doctors and coworkers knew you cared. Enjoy your retirement and your freedom. It is all downhill from here. You will land on your feet and it will be for the best.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann ...

When I was 'downsized' out of my job of 9 years ... months before being qualified for a pension, I took the serverance package of 'any college for 90% tuition and 50% salary for 1 year'. I choose college as my place for my readjustment and refocusing my life and attitude.

Do NOT just stay home! Take any academic college course ... even a junior college class but a career-type class which can be used in a resume as 'updating' your background. You will met NEW people, learn something new and get out of the house. Yes, you need DOWN time to 'recover' .. but that does NOT mean, sitting home and eating chocolate!

How do you want to come across in your NEXT dream job interview? That question as to "I see a gap in employment. What were you doing?" .. how can you truly answer it in a POSTIVE WAY?

What's wrong with staying home and eating chocolate? I'm in my dream job right now! :p

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
What's wrong with staying home and eating chocolate? I'm in my dream job right now!

I have run into many people who left their jobs for a variety of reasons and retired. The responses from them retiring overall followed a common theme:

1. In your 50s focus in being debt free including the house. That way, you don’t need a ton of money to retire as you don’t need to service debt.
2. After leaving the job, the stress rolls off the body like olive oil to French fries. No more fighting traffic, no more stressing out enroute on the politics of the day, no more being tired getting up early and working late.
3. Your costs go way down. Taxes are reduced, your car lasts longer as it’s not miled out getting to and from work etc.
4. Many people I know focus in their investments. They have time to research good investment ideas thus increasing their income and net worth.
5. Many see life for what it is. Enjoyable and free of stress.
6. Many retired people are busy doing what they love like volunteering, going for walks, etc.

So, enjoy. Recalibrate your life and finally be free!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Wishing you the best in this next chapter! You handled your exit with dignity!

uop1497

Reaction score
I am reading your post in a location far from home. If you feel sad to leave your job, just say Good bye to only the people who you think are your friends at work. Just do not pay any attention to your terrible boss if he is around in your view.

I like to ask if you do not mind (and if you want to share). since your boss is treat people around him badly thru these years he work for the company. How come he is still has powerful and gets his way . Why no one can not do anything about his behavior. No HR personnel around to stop his bad behavior. Did Anyone at the company to make complaint to HR. If so, I can not believe HR does not done any thing to find out the truth.

I know your seek legal advise before. Does it any help at all. Can they help get you any compensate package even you choose to reside on your own.

Sorry, if you have address similar question already. I does not have time to read all the post here.

I hope you will find something to do soon, And I wish you the very best . Good luck and take care .

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so happy for you. You will figure out the future. Just enjoy, and yes, we want occasional updates. This has been our soap opera for months. It can't just end. You have excellent ratings!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am reading your post in a location far from home. If you feel sad to leave your job, just say Good bye to only the people who you think are your friends at work. Just do not pay any attention to your terrible boss if he is around in your view.

I like to ask if you do not mind (and if you want to share). since your boss is treat people around him badly thru these years he work for the company. How come he is still has powerful and gets his way . Why no one can not do anything about his behavior. No HR personnel around to stop his bad behavior. Did Anyone at the company to make complaint to HR. If so, I can not believe HR does not done any thing to find out the truth.

I know your seek legal advise before. Does it any help at all. Can they help get you any compensate package even you choose to reside on your own.

Sorry, if you have address similar question already. I does not have time to read all the post here.

I hope you will find something to do soon, And I wish you the very best . Good luck and take care .

Thanks.

Well- this guy has only been the boss since February. He used to run another facility and the new company that took us over closed it, had the boss at the time fired, and put him in ours. He is in this position because he is friends with the previous CEO. He has no college degree and is essentially a painter (as in walls and ceilings) and has even been in jail in the past believe it or not.

He is a sociopath and a narcissist and there is too much to explain regarding his behavior. Just know he is an unusual person and that is an understatement. I reported him to HR months ago, but note that HR departments work for the employer and not the employee. What these types of bad bosses do is stay just under the radar to passive aggressively force people out without doing anything technically and obviously illegal.

The atty I consulted said if I was fired to let him know - despite everything he would not take my case to help me get a severance package unless I was fired. But I have resigned.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Now it’s time to travel and enjoy life! Glad to hear you are out of that stressful situation.
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Now it’s time to travel and enjoy life! Glad to hear you are out of that stressful situation.
Silentg

Thanks. Well- we already travel as much as our budget allows. Also, my husband is still working and now is the sole supporter. So we are not changing anything in regards to travelling

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

I'm afraid I'm going to sound a little protective of Mary Ann here (and I guess I am), but asking her to plow over a lot of old ground just because you don't want to read through her posts on this thread strikes me as a bit selfish. Mary Ann has been through hell with an idiot boss, and now that she's resigned and left that job, the best all of us can do for her is to help and encourage her in the next chapter of her life--which is what all of us who've been following her story for months have been attempting to do, especially since she informed us of her resignation. Please don't ask her to recall the events of the last eight months all over again. If you're really interested, then take the time to read the thread. One of the great things about TUG is that people care for each other here, and while I believe your intentions were good, the fact is that you didn't think through your request that she summarize--again--the circumstances of her past workplace, situation with her boss, and other issues which are now in her past.

We all need to help her look forward, which is what she is and has been doing. Thanks for your consideration.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm afraid I'm going to sound a little protective of Mary Ann here (and I guess I am), but asking her to plow over a lot of old ground just because you don't want to read through her posts on this thread strikes me as a bit selfish. Mary Ann has been through hell with an idiot boss, and now that she's resigned and left that job, the best all of us can do for her is to help and encourage her in the next chapter of her life--which is what all of us who've been following her story for months have been attempting to do, especially since she informed us of her resignation. Please don't ask her to recall the events of the last eight months all over again. If you're really interested, then take the time to read the thread. One of the great things about TUG is that people care for each other here, and while I believe your intentions were good, the fact is that you didn't think through your request that she summarize--again--the circumstances of her past workplace, situation with her boss, and other issues which are now in her past.

We all need to help her look forward, which is what she is and has been doing. Thanks for your consideration.

WalnutBaron, I just want to say that you are amazing and I love that you and other's are being very protective of Mary Ann. When you are going through something horrific in you life and you come here to share your burden / issue and others either don't take the time to read about the situation or jump to conclusions and try to make you feel worse is so very sad. What other's don't realize is that person is going through hell ( I have been through this myself so this is why I'm so passionate) and they are looking for support not to be critiqued.

May Ann, I wish you nothing but the best and I know you will enjoy retirement and all that life has to offer....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
WalnutBaron, I just want to say that you are amazing and I love that you and other's are being very protective of Mary Ann. When you are going through something horrific in you life and you come here to share your burden / issue and others either don't take the time to read about the situation or jump to conclusions and try to make you feel worse is so very sad. What other's don't realize is that person is going through hell ( I have been through this myself so this is why I'm so passionate) and they are looking for support not to be critiqued.

May Ann, I wish you nothing but the best and I know you will enjoy retirement and all that life has to offer....
Our community is unique and I am I proud to be a tugger. Both, sugarcubesea and walnutbaron are great examples why.

uop1497

Reaction score
Sorry if my questions to Marry Ann offended anyone reading my post here.

I do not mean for her to re-live what her ordeal . I was once in a situation similar to her and I can understand her feeling . However, in my opinion, the more a person talk, the faster he or she will put it behind. Maybe it only true in my case .

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No worries. I have had to relive it again trying to apply for unemployment and explaining why I resigned.
BTW- what a nightmare applying! Not a user friendly website. Kicked me out 2 times! No warning of being timed out. Tried doing it via phone- just as bad. I ended up doing not such a great job on my explanation as I had to hurry through the 5 questions where they ask you to elaborate. Even my coworker who was fired said the same- how the website was horrible and she ended up doing it via phone.

Anyway, after you file on line you still have to make a phone call to complete the process. So then I was on hold for 10 minutes and then the rep. was cut and dry and all I know is I was tired and hungry after the whole thing. Took me 3 hours! Not kidding! And I will probably be denied anyway. LOL!

I am a fairly intelligent person and I am on line for everything. I don't get how your not so slick individual could handle this process easily. They make it as hard as possible to file. Wasn't like this in the old days. Crazy.

BTW- I got an email response to my Exit Interview Form from the COO. She wrote that they take these things seriously and asked if I wanted to speak further about my experiences. I ignored her just as I did to her short email regarding my resignation. I said all I had to say. Not worth my time anymore. Too late. And they don't really care anyway.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann .. any written or verbal or recorded communication is ONLY collected by the employer or their agent or the governemnt is to USE against YOU for filing an employment claim or a lawsuit.

You got to love the standard line of "to make sure we are serving you the best we can" .... when it really means sometihng like "we are trying to tied you up in knots, frustrate you to insanity and prevent you from any further or future LEGAL actions".

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann .. any written or verbal or recorded communication is ONLY collected by the employer or their agent or the governemnt is to USE against YOU for filing an employment claim or a lawsuit.

You got to love the standard line of "to make sure we are serving you the best we can" .... when it really means sometihng like "we are trying to tied you up in knots, frustrate you to insanity and prevent you from any further or future LEGAL actions".

I know. Right you are!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So an interesting update: The woman who replaced me has resigned as of today. She actually texted me and told me that she thought she could tough it out, but she just could not. 3 weeks and she is done.

She said Napoleon is a bully and a manipulator. She said she was nauseated by his minions as well. He actually treated her similarly to how he treated me and the other women there. She said he was pissed when she told him! LOL! She left right then and there.

She said the past 3 weeks have been horrible and she could not communicate with him. She could not get straight answers from him and he gave her dirty looks. He made her feel stupid and ignored her for the most part.

OMG. This is his MO. You can't make this stuff up. Just rewards. ;)

I wished her well. She was smart as she never quit her other part-time flex job so she at least still has that. She will be ok.

As for me, 3 weeks in and I am doing alright except the weather has been awful- nothing but rain. Been raining for the past 4 months. Almost every day. I am getting antsy as I have chores to do outside and have only gotten to some of them.

I am actually pretty busy next week with medical/dental appointments, lunch with another unemployed friend in PA, some shopping at Sams Club, and so forth. My days go fast, by the time I get up at 6am (late for me!) and then exercise and do some stuff-even if I do not do too much- it flies by! And I usually have nothing to show for my time! Crazy.

Just living and managing the household during the day instead of before and after work or just cramming it in on weekends.

I am feeling a little worried (nothing new for me) as our budget is very tight without my income- more so than I thought it would be. Even though we lowered my husband's 401 k to just the 5% to get the employer match, and stopped all other savings except the full HSA contributions, we still have no breathing room without taking some money out of savings each month, which I don't want to do. Not much to cut back on in the budget either. Hubby is going to change his withholdings and claim one exemption (instead of 0) to take home more in his paycheck. Trying to sell one of our cars, but not getting many bites. I actually could not sleep the past couple of nights over this whole thing. I should have drank some wine. LOL!

Anyway, in the spring hubby's life and disability insurance policies expire, so that will be extra money we will have each month. If his employer does not allow him to contribute any longer to the HSA for 2019- then we will have that as well.

We are pretty frugal people, just live in such a high tax state- the property and school taxes kill us.

Anyway, hopefully it will all work out!

PS The NYS Dept of Labor (re my unemployment claim) called me to ask questions about the age discrimination and so on. I was kind of taken off guard as I wasn't expecting a call from them. Anyway, I answered honestly and they said they had to contact my employer, but I have not heard from them yet.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If the employment people contact you again, you may want to share that your replacement only lasted three weeks.

Dave