• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Voting in HOA election

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So for the first time in the 16 years that we've owned timeshares, I've sent a ballot in to vote for a new board member. Now I find out that if I don't show up in person to the Worldmark meeting my vote didn't count because I didn't "assign a proxy". So why the heck send me a ballot and a pre-paid envelope? Why can't I vote myself? Totally bizarre. Are elections this way in other systems? Time to go back to being apathetic and just toss the stuff in the trash like I used to before I discovered the discussions on Facebook.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
So for the first time in the 16 years that we've owned timeshares, I've sent a ballot in to vote for a new board member. Now I find out that if I don't show up in person to the Worldmark meeting my vote didn't count because I didn't "assign a proxy". So why the heck send me a ballot and a pre-paid envelope? Why can't I vote myself? Totally bizarre. Are elections this way in other systems? Time to go back to being apathetic and just toss the stuff in the trash like I used to before I discovered the discussions on Facebook.
The WorldMark election is a corporate election, not a national or local election. The differences are explained repeatedly and in detail in the voter booklet that was included with your ballot.

You can still go online and assign a proxyholder using your ballot control number (or mail in your proxy assignment form). Whomever you select, including the WorldMark Board of Directors, is legally bound to cast your vote as you indicated on your ballot. As long as your proxyholder attends the meeting and casts your vote, it does not matter who you choose.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I find out that if I don't show up in person to the Worldmark meeting my vote didn't count because I didn't "assign a proxy".
It used to be that owners such as yourself, who submitted only a ballot, would have the WorldMark Board of Directors automatically selected as your proxyholder to cast your vote.

The Wixon settlement completely screwed this up for owners who think they only need to submit a ballot. Post-Wixon settlement, every owner must select a proxyholder. If not, their vote goes in the trash can, as your's will if you do not designate a proxyholder.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe yooumstill have time to submit a Proxy. Please do not select the WM BOD. Suggest you check out www.wmowners.com/forum.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I believe yooumstill have time to submit a Proxy. Please do not select the WM BOD. Suggest you check out www.wmowners.com/forum.

Defaulting to apathy at this point. Although I will probably mention when the topic comes up on Facebook that you can't just send the stupid ballot in. And, no, I did not read a darned thing in the packet, just found the ballot and apparently uselessly voted.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Why don't you just assign your proxy to wmowners ? You can find this information on wmowners.com

Because I'm lazy, generally uninterested, figure I screwed it up when I did try to submit the thing for the first time because I didn't bother to read it, and will just go back to throwing the packet away like I have for the last 15+ years. I bought a timeshare to vacation, not do paperwork or get involved with behind the scenes issues. I'm pretty much that way with most state and local elections too unless it is a presidential year and/or something catches my ear in a measure that I have interest in voting for or against, so it's not just the timeshare.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have read it, you don't need to be present. You can just assign the proxy to wmowners.com, instructions on the wmowners website.

If you don't vote then you will just be letting others decide the election results.

We don't generally vote for Marriott or Vistana stuff because I cannot tell one person from another without really digging into it. Also, if we are really unhappy, we can just get rid of the timeshare. But with local, state and federal stuff, it matters too much to not vote. Every vote counts!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you have read it, you don't need to be present. You can just assign the proxy to wmowners.com, instructions on the wmowners website.

If you don't vote then you will just be letting others decide the election results.

We don't generally vote for Marriott or Vistana stuff because I cannot tell one person from another without really digging into it. Also, if we are really unhappy, we can just get rid of the timeshare. But with local, state and federal stuff, it matters too much to not vote. Every vote counts!
The good thing about WMOwners (from what I understand) you don't actually select how you want to vote but assign them as proxy to make voting decisions for you. So you don't even have to pick candidates to vote for. This is actually good because then WMOwners can vote in block to perhaps at least have a chance against the developer voting in block.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The good thing about WMOwners (from what I understand) you don't actually select how you want to vote but assign them as proxy to make voting decisions for you. So you don't even have to pick candidates to vote for. This is actually good because then WMOwners can vote in block to perhaps at least have a chance against the developer voting in block.
Exactly. For all the years that I owned WM, I assigned my proxy to wmowners.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
'm pretty much that way with most state and local elections too unless it is a presidential year and/or something catches my ear in a measure that I have interest in voting for or against, so it's not just the timeshare.

Reading this breaks my heart. Local and state elections have much more of an impact in one's day-to-day life than national presidential ones. Plus, democracy is not a spectator sport; the rules are made by those who show up. Many, many people died and sacrificed in order for us to be able to vote (see also: the many people fighting and dying for the right to vote in their countries as I type this,) and taking it for granted--and not taking advantage of that privilege--it does just break my heart.

Thank you for assigning your proxy! Now, please reconsider voting in the next election. If you need help or don't want to do research, you can PM your address, and I'll be happy to do some research and send you a voter guide (non-partisan, just informational.) Actually-- I will do this for *anyone* reading this thread--want to vote, but worried you don't know enough about who is running? I'm *more than happy* to do what research I can for you. And if you are in NC and need a ride to the polls, let me know that, too, and I'll see what I can do.

Voting is important, yo.

*steps off soapbox*