• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Happy with my Vistana Reservations

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am a relatively new Vistana member. We get 176K Staroptions EOY as an owner at WKOVR-N. I am very happy with how easy it has been so far to make reservations at our home resort and at other Vistana resorts. We have booked and re-scheduled the 1 bedroom lock off part of our home resort several times and have not had any problems reserving what we want. Then we had 81K SOs left. Today I booked the 1 br premium villa at Harborside/Atlantis. We still have a bunch of SOs left. I think we have about 30K SOs left. So we are getting 2 one week vacations in 1 bedroom units (one is ocean front and at Harborside it is floating) and we have about 1/2 a week of SOs left over. While the MF for WKOVR-N is high, if we can get 2.5 weeks out of it in 1 bedrooms, it is actually very affordable to own. The booking tool is easy to use. I am starting to question if I want MVC to merge the Vistana units into the Destination Points program. I own at MVC too so at first I thought it was a good idea. But I think I prefer keeping the 2 programs separate so availability for Vistana owners is not impacted. The only thing I would like if MVC and Vistana fully merge is my MVC ownership level would probably go up from Presdiential to Chairman's Level in a combined program, assuming they give us credit for our WestinMaui week at a high enough point value and there is no enrollment fee.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...assuming they give us credit for our Westin Maui week at a high enough point value and there is no enrollment fee.

I don't ever see that happening. IF they bring Vistana weeks into the Marriott Destination Club, the fees will be a money generator they can't resist. There will always be owners who want expanded choices and "status" who will be willing to pay the fees.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a relatively new Vistana member. We get 176K Staroptions EOY as an owner at WKOVR-N. I am very happy with how easy it has been so far to make reservations at our home resort and at other Vistana resorts. We have booked and re-scheduled the 1 bedroom lock off part of our home resort several times and have not had any problems reserving what we want. Then we had 81K SOs left. Today I booked the 1 br premium villa at Harborside/Atlantis. We still have a bunch of SOs left. I think we have about 30K SOs left. So we are getting 2 one week vacations in 1 bedroom units (one is ocean front and at Harborside it is floating) and we have about 1/2 a week of SOs left over. While the MF for WKOVR-N is high, if we can get 2.5 weeks out of it in 1 bedrooms, it is actually very affordable to own. The booking tool is easy to use. I am starting to question if I want MVC to merge the Vistana units into the Destination Points program. I own at MVC too so at first I thought it was a good idea. But I think I prefer keeping the 2 programs separate so availability for Vistana owners is not impacted. The only thing I would like if MVC and Vistana fully merge is my MVC ownership level would probably go up from Presdiential to Chairman's Level in a combined program, assuming they give us credit for our WestinMaui week at a high enough point value and there is no enrollment fee.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I don't ever see that happening. IF they bring Vistana weeks into the Marriott Destination Club, the fees will be a money generator they can't resist. There will always be owners who want expanded choices and "status" who will be willing to pay the fees.

I am not so sure if they can charge a fee to enroll Vistana owners who have mandatory weeks or pure points because we already get points for exchanging throughout Vistana’s network. Perhaps they could charge us a small enrollment fee. If they charge anything major, they would be taking away benefits. MVC does not tend to take away benefits, even though I assume they can. If they charge an enrollment fee, many Vistana owners will choose to stay where they are. I own MVC and Vistana but I would not be wiling to pay an enrollment fee for my Vistana week unless it were under $1000.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Paying a fee to enroll Vistana weeks into the MVC DC program would not be taking any benefits away. It wouldn’t change anything that a Vistana owner can currently do with their week. It would simply enable them to elect DC points for a specific year if they want access to MVC inventory. If they don’t, they just use their unit the way they always have. It just provides another option. More flexibility. Whether the fee they charge for enrollment and any club dues is a good value is open for each owner to decide and will depend on how they want to use their ownership in the future.

As far as MVC owners taking Vistana inventory I would think the current reservation rules would apply to Vistana owners and any unclaimed inventory available less than 8 months before check in may be available for Marriott owners. So Vistana owners would still get first priority for reservations.

No body knows what will happen, but I think it will work out well.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not so sure if they can charge a fee to enroll Vistana owners who have mandatory weeks or pure points because we already get points for exchanging throughout Vistana’s network. Perhaps they could charge us a small enrollment fee. If they charge anything major, they would be taking away benefits. MVC does not tend to take away benefits, even though I assume they can. If they charge an enrollment fee, many Vistana owners will choose to stay where they are. I own MVC and Vistana but I would not be wiling to pay an enrollment fee for my Vistana week unless it were under $1000.
I don't think mandatory or voluntary will mean anything if MVC decides to allow enrollment in DC for Vistana weeks. If they do, they will simply allow enrollment and DC as an additional option on top of Vistana weeks, Home Options and StarOptions. So, it won't matter if you own points or a mandatory week, if you want to play in DC you will have to pay an enrollment fee. If you do, then you can continue to do what you do today or you can instead opt for DC points. If you don't enroll you continue to do what you do today with no changes. This utopia of Marriott not charging a fee to enroll Vistana weeks in DC is simply not realistic, if they even make the offer at all.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think mandatory or voluntary will mean anything if MVC decides to allow enrollment in DC for Vistana weeks. If they do, they will simply allow enrollment and DC as an additional option on top of Vistana weeks, Home Options and StarOptions. So, it won't matter if you own points or a mandatory week, if you want to play in DC you will have to pay an enrollment fee. If you do, then you can continue to do what you do today or you can instead opt for DC points. If you don't enroll you continue to do what you do today with no changes. This utopia of Marriott not charging a fee to enroll Vistana weeks in DC is simply not realistic, if they even make the offer at all.

They did a minimal enrollment fee for pre-2010 weeks so why wouldn’t they do the same for pre-merger Vistana owners?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They did a minimal enrollment fee for pre-2010 weeks so I why wouldn’t they do the same for pre-merger Vistana owners?
If they offer enrollment for VIstana owners, I suspect the fee structure will be similar to what was offered for pre 6/20/2010 Marriott weeks. I guess the definition of "minimal" is up for debate. We paid $1995 to enroll our two external weeks. I don't consider that minimal.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
As long as we're postulating (ok, guessing)

Why not just allow owners (MVC and SVN/VSE) of the 'premium' category resorts (think beachfront) in premium seasons to participate in an exchange at little or no cost.
After this becomes popular, start charging the rest of the gang a fee to enroll and limitations of 'like for like' in the exchange pool.

I would certainly participate at a premium level... There is little or no incentive to participate at the routine 'mud-week' level (except for the owner of the mud-week).

or

I predict that the first step in this super-premium exchange club will be the designation of a new class of resort in Interval (location and season: Ocean Front or high demand weeks in premium locations)
There will be a preference attached to the super-premium weeks and that preference will be shared across all Marriott Brands for exchange (including Hyatt)--but only for owners of super-premium resorts
The preference will be lifted after XX days to give the other Marriott owners access

This would incentivize customers to buy into Marriott brands (all seasons and resorts) and it would further support the value of MVC points and super-premium resorts.

Just guessing. Marriott needs to find a way to prop-up the value of mud-weeks and attract buyers that can't afford 4000 points.

Anyway, it's all fantasy

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If they offer enrollment for VIstana owners, I suspect the fee structure will be similar to what was offered for pre 6/20/2010 Marriott weeks. I guess the definition of "minimal" is up for debate. We paid $1995 to enroll our two external weeks. I don't consider that minimal.

My threshold is about $5-10k for enrollment. Given what we now know....I would say $2k would be a bargain.

How much do you think Voluntary VSE owners would pay for a piece of the pie right now?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How much do you think Voluntary VSE owners would pay for a piece of the pie right now?

I'm both a mandatory and voluntary owner. I get exactly what I want out of my voluntary weeks, so it would have to be a significant benefit to convince me to spend anything to have them in a new program.

I think your question may be more suited to those who didn't know the distinction between mandatory and voluntary when they originally bought and have struggled with it ever since. For that audience, there is definitely an opportunity for Marriott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm both a mandatory and voluntary owner. I get exactly what I want out of my voluntary weeks, so it would have to be a significant benefit to convince me to spend anything to have them in a new program.

I think your question may be more suited to those who didn't know the distinction between mandatory and voluntary when they originally bought and have struggled with it ever since. For that audience, there is definitely an opportunity for Marriott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or perhaps those that bought when II was flush with Vistana/Starwood deposit and now are having more trouble getting what they want or what they used to get. There could be opportunities there with enrollment.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 250,000 Vistana and Hyatt owners. The question is, does MVC want to enroll 100,000 owners at 1000 each (100 million easy revenue and some new recurring annual revenue) or 2,000 owners at 10,000 dollars each? i think i know the answer especially since the Marriott owners want the 2 systems integrated and you need large numbers for an internal exchange to work.

We own Vistana mandatory and voluntary as well as HGVC, very happy with what we own. Between staying where we own, using Staroptions and HGVC points, exchanging in Interval and RCI and buying getaways, we have all we need right now. If MVC gets gready, thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is higher than I would like but still within reason for the extra benefits.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are 250,000 Vistana and Hyatt owners. The question is, does MVC want to enroll 100,000 owners at 1000 each (100 million easy revenue and some new recurring annual revenue) or 2,000 owners at 10,000 dollars each? i think i know the answer especially since the Marriott owners want the 2 systems integrated and you need large numbers for an internal exchange to work.

We own Vistana mandatory and voluntary as well as HGVC, very happy with what we own. Between staying where we own, using Staroptions and HGVC points, exchanging in Interval and RCI and buying getaways, we have all we need right now. If MVC gets gready, thanks but no thanks.

I doubt (and hope) that Marriott Vacation Club management does not think this simplistically. I hope they are more strategic when they come up with an integrated program between MVC and Vistana and possibly Hyatt. If they are just thinking about revenue, that is plain dumb, IM unhumble O.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt (and hope) that Marriott Vacation Club management does not think this simplistically. I hope they are more strategic when they come up with an integrated program between MVC and Vistana and possibly Hyatt. If they are just thinking about revenue, that is plain dumb, IM unhumble O.
Would the petty sales people hate a mass integration of the brands? Possibly. Would it mean more revenue and a step towards "the most transformation ownership company in the industry offering greater benefits and experience for its owners, member and guest"
Yes IMHO

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think it's pretty clear that Marriott intends to maintain and enhance the points system and the sale and conversion of owners/units into points (trust).

That being said, I think they will attempt to enroll/ROFR/resell owners into the trust quite aggressively. That will take some honey...
I think super premium Hawaii beach weeks, Premium California/Ski resorts beachweeks and maybe some Hyatt weeks will be the lure (via exchange/enroll)
They will need more Platinum super weeks to continue to upsell the new clientele into the points system.
I do believe that limited offers to exchange/enroll certain premium ownerships (not more mud weeks) will be offered to attract the 'bees' to the honey.

IMO

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's pretty clear that Marriott intends to maintain and enhance the points system and the sale and conversion of owners/units into points (trust).

That being said, I think they will attempt to enroll/ROFR/resell owners into the trust quite aggressively. That will take some honey...
I think super premium Hawaii beach weeks, Premium California/Ski resorts beachweeks and maybe some Hyatt weeks will be the lure (via exchange/enroll)
They will need more Platinum super weeks to continue to upsell the new clientele into the points system.
I do believe that limited offers to exchange/enroll certain premium ownerships (not more mud weeks) will be offered to attract the 'bees' to the honey.

IMO

I agree. I suspect they will have better incentives for high demand / expensive Platinum week owners in premium locations to try to get them to enroll in the DC points program. To me, this would be a more strategic approach from a business POV than simply allowing every Vistana member to enroll for a moderate fee. Either way, if the fee is reasonable, I would enroll. Otherwise, I would not since I am happy with what I own at Vistana. That said, I just paid Marriott $21,400 to buy a Marbella week and enroll my Ko Olina EOY week, with the goal of getting to Presidential level. If MVC offers a reasonable path to get to Chairman’s Club level, that might be motivating.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree. I suspect they will have better incentives for high demand / expensive Platinum week owners in premium locations to try to get them to enroll in the DC points program. To me, this would be a more strategic approach from a business POV than simply allowing every Vistana member to enroll for a moderate fee. Either way, if the fee is reasonable, I would enroll. Otherwise, I would not since I am happy with what I own at Vistana. That said, I just paid Marriott $21,400 to buy a Marbella week and enroll my Ko Olina EOY week, with the goal of getting to Presidential level. If MVC offers a reasonable path to get to Chairman’s Club level, that might be motivating.
I doubt they will want to exclude any certain class of ownership. Those same owners are potential new buyers as your best customer is always your existing customer. They won't want to alienate an entire group of owners.