• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

User ID's on Tug Market Place

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Tug Brian,

Could we please have USER ID's listed on Tug Market Place? It would be nice to be able to see the profile of the people listing ads.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Tug Brian,

Could we please have USER ID's listed on Tug Market Place? It would be nice to be able to see the profile of the people listing ads.

I think this is a great idea! I have thought this too- many times. Sometimes I try to reverse look-up the phone numbers. It would be nice to know who is listing definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly there are two issues with this.

1. many TUG members do not participate on the forums
2. many tug members simply use their email address as their TUG member login/username...thus defeating the purpose of removing that from the ads in the first place.

we could perhaps have an optional (default being no) item to display their username...but thats really already available with many folks typing it into the description field (or giving it to you if you ask for it)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

2. many tug members simply use their email address as their TUG member login/username...thus defeating the purpose of removing that from the ads in the first place.

we could perhaps have an optional (default being no) item to display their username...but thats really already available with many folks typing it into the description field (or giving it to you if you ask for it)
Never thought of saying in my description “I am tug member Panina”. In the future I will but I do like the having an optional field where it is clearly shown.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

My reason for asking is to have a bit of an idea of whom I am dealing with when enquiring about ads.

There are a lot of scammers out there. If someone does get burnt they can report that user to the group immediately.

I think it would also give confidence to the tug community being able to see a users profile.

Example someone offers a great deal, but when you look at user profile, they just joined and immediately posted ads. You might want to be real careful. Someone with several posts and likes you may have better confidence in dealing with.

I think having the ability to rate users on sales or rentals would be a great benefit also.

As far as user names being your email address this is a way to get a hell of a lot of junk email.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we did add long ago a note at the bottom of every ad that denotes how long the individual has been a TUG member based on TUGGER suggestions!

I also agree about using emails as usernames, but if they are only joining TUG vs registering on the forums, noone will ever see it, its just a very common thing to remember for most people.

Im not at all against folks identifying themselves on the marketplace if they so desire, I just dont think that the average user is going to want to put any more info on their basic ad than is necessary to get it posted, after all the VAST majority of old marketplace users wanted zero contact info or identification on their ads at all (the old system had phone numbers and emails literally right on every ad), thus how we implemented the current marketplace where interested parties just send messages to the ad poster.

id have to think about how a rating system would even work, as it would require the renter to come back and "rate" the owner who posted the ad and that would usually be many months down the road.

I dont want to shoot down good ideas to make the site better, im just spitballing my initial thoughts on the trouble or issues of implementing such suggestions.

I will say that i see a number of ad descriptions that denote the TUG members details and some even include their forum name right in the description. this however is usually only done by those who rent alot, and really only means anything to folks who are also registered here on the forums (ie someone just coming to TUG to find a rental might have no clue what the forums are or that the username would correspond to a forum ID)

we absolutely encourage anyone to report funny sounding ads or email exchanges that just dont seem right or perhaps have a few red flags.

we also include on the ad pages a link to the rental verification checklist (its also linked in the message emails)...and in all of the reported scams ive ever seen in the past few years, every one of the victims ignored even the most basic of red flags for a rental.

I am however ALL for anything that would reduce the possibility of anyone being scammed, and am always open to suggestions.