• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whole house leak detection and shut off systems

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with whole house water leak detection and shut off systems? If so, which one and what do you think about it? And downsides? I would like to leave water on when we are gone in the winter so that the humidifier could run.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with whole house water leak detection and shut off systems? If so, which one and what do you think about it? And downsides? I would like to leave water on when we are gone in the winter so that the humidifier could run.

I don't know if any such thing exists, but I'll share what we do if it might be of of any interest or application to you. Personally, I will never rely upon any WiFi-dependent or other "smart" devices for water main shut off. YMMV.

If we're away for a week or more in the winter, we shut the water off entirely and drain the entire house system down (easy enough with a spigot I had installed after the main shut off valve). However, we do have one isolated 1/4" water line which supplies only the humidifier (a steam generating humidifier made by Nortec, located in the basement, distributing vapor through the house's via the ductwork, as needed). We also have a sensor / phone notification device if water is ever physically detected in any amount on the basement floor (knocking on wood, that has not ever happened....yet).;)

My theory with this approach is that there is simply no water in any pipes above the basement level which could possibly freeze and burst pipes. A leak could only occur within a small area in the basement and I would be auto-notified by phone as soon as any water touched the sensor on the floor and triggered the phone call (phone jack is required for that device, which would also auto-alert by phone if it sensed any ambient temperature below whatever temperature you select).

My approach is admittedly "old school" and manual, but I absolutely refuse to rely upon any WiFi or "smart" devices when it comes to the potential for many tens of thousands of dollars in water damage if any such "smart" device should fail to perform and execute its' function properly for any reason. I simply will not accept or assume that particular risk. YMMV.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There are water leak detection systems but I've never heard of one that will shut off the water system when leak is detected, but that's not to say they don't exist. It certainly sounds like a great idea! Our DS has a water leak sensor that came with his house alarm system. It is a little box that lays on the bsmt floor near the water heater. The thing gives an audible beep and also sends DS a message on his phone in case he isn't at home. He knows it works as our DGS (his son) set it off when he accidently dropped a jar of dill pickles getting them out of the fridge and some of the juice spilled on the sensor.

We go away for 3 mos during the winter (from Canada to Belize) and we leave our water turned on. DH shuts off all the water supply lines to sinks and toilets except our mudroom powder room in case our DD or the neibr need to use the facilities while they are in the house. We also shut off the taps to the dishwasher and washing machine. Since we have a neibr come into the house once or twice a day every day while we are gone we don't feel the need to shut the water supply for the house off. We also have a yellow light in our livingroom window that is wired to a thermometer. That thermometer is set to 5* cooler than what we set the furnace at. If the furnace fails and the temp in the house drops enough to start the light flashing the neibr can see it and act accordingly. So far (touch wood) in the 3 winters and many timeshare stays we've been away we haven't had a problem.

~Diane

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
There are a few wifi enabled water shut-off valves and water sensors available. I have a shut-off valve and 5 leak sensors from Dome connected to a Smartthings hub. If any sensor detects water it shuts the valve and turns off my water supply to the house.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a few wifi enabled water shut-off valves and water sensors available. I have a shut-off valve and 5 leak sensors from Dome connected to a Smartthings hub. If any sensor detects water it shuts the valve and turns off my water supply to the house.

Is it possible to get more information on your set up? I am very interested.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Your water utility may have a service that will alert you to unexpected consumption. Mine recently did that within hours (still a lot of water lost). Our risks are on the irrigation system, as valves fail to the "open" position, usually when you're away!

I have a Rachio irrigation controller. Their latest model has an optional flow monitor, so it can tell if water is running when it's not supposed to be. I know there are wifi flow monitors and wifi-controlled master valves, so it there isn't already a packaged solution you could probably make your own with IFTTT.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
I have a Samsung Smartthings hub, a Dome Home Automation wifi enabled valve on my incoming waterline, and 5 Dome Home Automation water sensors.

The valve is an electric actuator that installs over an existing valve (no plumbing needed if you have a ball valve with a straight handle).

I have the sensors placed in each bathroom, by the sump pump, and by my hot water heater to cover the most common sources of leaks/overflow.

Then I programmed the hub to send a text and close the water valve if any of the sensors detect water.