• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Now Part of Marriott Vacations Worldwide

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

jeff01

TUG Member
Reaction score
During the last Marriott enrolment period were you required to enroll all units our could you choose to leave off a resale and still pay the lower fee or was it an all or nothing scenario. In my case I have several VSE units, one of which is a 2 Bed EOY Gold Plus WKV week purchased resale off eBay. Since WKV is mandatory I typically either use the StarOptions elsewhere or split it into two 1 Bedrooms & deposit to Interval. I’ve been thinking about getting rid of it for a while but always seem to find a use for it so haven’t really pursued it too much.

If Marriott makes a similar offer to VSE owners I’d probably be willing to pay the $695 to enroll the other weeks but not sure it’s worth spending $2,000+ to have this WKV one included.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Why am I not getting any of these emails???
I am a 5 week Vistana/3 week Marriott owner.

Hellllllloooooo. I am here!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why am I not getting any of these emails???
I am a 5 week Vistana/3 week Marriott owner.

Hellllllloooooo. I am here!
We are just speculating, there is no official communication from Marriott/Vistana

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Go to your Dashboard under Communications and ensure you have checked to receive emails. That's the only thing I can think of.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Go to your Dashboard under Communications and ensure you have checked to receive emails. That's the only thing I can think of.
Thank you, I did check for my account and my husbands as well.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I understand these things too well, am I missing something? But, why would I pay to have my resale Lagunamar week go into the Marriott system when I'm happy using the two weeks I get with our 2 bedroom at the Westin. And we've traded it as well on II...just stayed at the Marriott Aruba Surf for two weeks, stayed at Harborside for one last November? Please let me know what detail I'm missing that would give me an incentive to do that?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I understand these things too well, am I missing something? But, why would I pay to have my resale Lagunamar week go into the Marriott system when I'm happy using the two weeks I get with our 2 bedroom at the Westin. And we've traded it as well on II...just stayed at the Marriott Aruba Surf for two weeks, stayed at Harborside for one last November? Please let me know what detail I'm missing that would give me an incentive to do that?
I think that you are proving some people's point that Marriott will have to come with a good offer to entice owners like you. You are not missing anything IMO

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I think that you are proving some people's point that Marriott will have to come with a good offer to entice owners like you. You are not missing anything IMO
You could still trade in II but supposedly (according to sales) resale folks wont be able to trade Internally even within Vistana. They did not know we were resale and were trying to reassure us but when I asked about resale was told we would need to spend 30,000 to buy Marriott points and qualify our resale week. May not be true but it is somewhat concerning. They did it to Marriott owners so it is feasible

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You could still trade in II but supposedly (according to sales) resale folks wont be able to trade Internally even within Vistana. They did not know we were resale and were trying to reassure us but when I asked about resale was told we would need to spend 30,000 to buy Marriott points and qualify our resale week. May not be true but it is somewhat concerning. They did it to Marriott owners so it is feasible

I would assume that if you are VSN mandatory SO resort they would have to continue to honor those trades with Westin/Sheraton.

If gaining access to Marriott/DC entails giving up mandatory SO, I would not do because it would affect the value when time to sell. I do not believe that DC enrollment extends to resale buyers.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would disregard anything that sales people say at this moment:
1) what they told you seems rather wishful thinking, of course it would benefit his/her sales
2) it plainly disregards all the legal basis for Vistana mandatory resorts. They would open themselves up for legal and PR trouble If this was remotely possible, Vistana would have done it a long time ago.
3) it also disregards what the Marriott DP owners want, to have access to as many resorts as possible. That can only come with integration

I was recently on the phone with a Vistana sales rep (days before the merger). I told him that I would consider his proposal if he confirmed in writing certain things he was suggesting would happen after the merger. Of course the discussion did not go very far from that moment. Talk is cheap.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
YOu have found what many Marriott owners found. If you use your weeks at your home resort, there is little benefit to enrolling weeks in the DC program. There are probably at least still 50% of the eligible Marriott weeks not enrolled in the program. If they open enrollment up to Vistana weeks, they would probably price it in a similar manner and expect the same enrollment rates.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
YOu have found what many Marriott owners found. If you use your weeks at your home resort, there is little benefit to enrolling weeks in the DC program. There are probably at least still 50% of the eligible Marriott weeks not enrolled in the program. If they open enrollment up to Vistana weeks, they would probably price it in a similar manner and expect the same enrollment rates.

Agree with this completely. And Marriott even allowed resale owners to enroll their weeks that were owned up to a certain date in 2010 when the announcement was made. I would think they would do something similar as it makes common business sense

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The biggest question lies with how they would do any type of enrollment and how would mandatory weeks be impacted. Marriott certainly doesn't want an easy resale entry in to their DC program. I would think they would keep the previous VSN/StarOption program and simply allow you to also enroll your week in DC. If you enroll you can still either use your home resort, book with StarOptions, exchange through II or elect DC points. This way they can still freeze resale mandatory weeks out of the DC program since they aren't replacing the VSN system.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can't trade within Vistana internally now (unless again I'm missing something). Lagunamar is not mandatory so I don't get SO's. Still I'm happy with our maintenance fees and what we are getting for them. I can't imagine paying $2500.00 to join Marriott DC. If I wanted access to Marriott, I would probably buy Marriott (which seems to have really high maintenance fees in comparison to Lagunamar. Don't get me wrong, Aruba Surf was lovely. But, if Marriott was hoping to get Lagunamar weeks into their portfolio they probably will need to offer something better than 'pay us $2500' for you to deposit your week at least from my standpoint.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest question lies with how they would do any type of enrollment and how would mandatory weeks be impacted. Marriott certainly doesn't want an easy resale entry in to their DC program. I would think they would keep the previous VSN/StarOption program and simply allow you to also enroll your week in DC. If you enroll you can still either use your home resort, book with StarOptions, exchange through II or elect DC points. This way they can still freeze resale mandatory weeks out of the DC program since they aren't replacing the VSN system.
it is very possible that Marriott may decide to keep multiple layers of reservation. Large companies value simplicity though so i would not be surprised to see a full integration of all programs. It is not clear how much they dislike the mandatory Vistana deeds but for sure they dislike more the confusion and the costs associated with running multiple programs at the same time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
it is very possible that Marriott may decide to keep multiple layers of reservation. Large companies value simplicity though so i would not be surprised to see a full integration of all programs. It is not clear how much they dislike the mandatory Vistana deeds but for sure they dislike more the confusion and the costs associated with running multiple programs at the same time.
While they may like simplicity, I think they also prefer to not take benefits away that people currently enjoy and utilize. It also makes for an easier implementation and less chance of legal challenge down the road. If people don't lose anything and only gain a certain benefit they are willing to pay for, they really can't complain about it.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
While they may like simplicity, I think they also prefer to not take benefits away that people currently enjoy and utilize. It also makes for an easier implementation and less chance of legal challenge down the road. If people don't lose anything and only gain a certain benefit they are willing to pay for, they really can't complain about it.
i agree with you, i just do no see anyone challenging them if they just convert the number of Staroptions to a number of DP and give access to all the network. I know i would not and i do not see why anyone would

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree. My bet is that Marriott keeps the VSN active, and provides (at some cost) an optional Marriott Destination enrollment with destination points. Staroptions would be used for reservations within the SVN, Destination points for reservations to Marriott properties (and perhaps Hyatt). Mandatory weeks purchased after the cut-off will not have the Marriott point option. I suspect all weeks that are currently enrolled in the VSN would be provided that option. While non-SVN Voluntary weeks might be allowed to enroll in VSN (and Marriott Destinations), I think the most likely option would be to directly enroll in the Marriott Destination Club.

I would also suspect that for Interval International trades, the preference would be extended so that all Vistana and Marriott weeks receive the same preference--i.e. a Vistana week would receive both Marriott and Vistana preference.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
i agree with you, i just do no see anyone challenging them if they just convert the number of Staroptions to a number of DP and give access to all the network. I know i would not and i do not see why anyone would

I wouldn't mind either unless this means that mandatory capability is forfeited for resale buyers of our unit as a condition upon enrolling. That would be a showstopper.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Here is Simple..........all star options are converted over to MVC points and new points tables are established for Vistana Properties. For those owners that bought directly from Starwood/Vistana they are automatically enrolled. For those resale mandatory owners there is a one time points conversion fee, just like they do with Marriott Resales. If you own a non star options resale vistana resale in a desirable location, they may target you with special offers to convert over to MVC clubs. By law, when a corporation takes over another corporation, they take over the previous contracts and obligations. Do we win a prize if we guess right here??? lmao

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
All this speculation is fun..
Since it is fun....Has anybody thought about how the timeshare "elite" programs would fall together? They seem pretty far apart.