• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards info

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
My wife is traveling and the rewards number is in my name. She used a work travel agency to book the hotel, provided my MR # but the room isn’t showing under upcoming trips.
Any insight on getting her nights stays added to my MR#?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife is traveling and the rewards number is in my name. She used a work travel agency to book the hotel, provided my MR # but the room isn’t showing under upcoming trips.

Thanks

Have her provide the Reward Number when she checks in.

Reaction score

Thanks

Work related reservations, I believer are excluded from points. Believe I read that a few days ago. I don't know if that's new or it has always been that way. Even without your number on her card (same for my hubby and I), she should always give the desk the rewards number when checking in to be sure it's attached to the reservation. Did you make the reservation, or did her work? If you did and you have the bill you should be able to summit on line as a missing night etc.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A lot may depend on how the reservation was made. Is it a third party reservation, like through Expedia or some other agency, or direct with Marriott?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

The MR terms and conditions clearly say that a member must be personally staying at the property to get points and nights credited to his or her account. Although difficult to prove, the penalties for getting caught violating these terms can be pretty severe. Ironically, many TUGGERs apparently think it is all right to intentionally scam the system like this, but then have real problems with perceived slights by Marriott, even unintentional errors.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
@BocaBoy, even though you didn't say it, I know what you were going to say :)

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Work related reservations, I believer are excluded from points. Believe I read that a few days ago. I don't know if that's new or it has always been that way. Even without your number on her card (same for my hubby and I), she should always give the desk the rewards number when checking in to be sure it's attached to the reservation. Did you make the reservation, or did her work? If you did and you have the bill you should be able to summit on line as a missing night etc.

I’m not sure where you read that but I don’t believe it’s possible. I’ve traveled on business trips booked by my company and just add my number at check in for years. If they ever did remove business travel from qualifying stays it wouldn’t devalue the program it would nullify it.

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
Thanks alll. She ended up registering for Marriott Rewards account as they wouldn’t add it to the reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would be interested to know what I was going to say!!
About how the OP is not entitled to the elite night or any reward points since they aren't the ones that will be occupying the room.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
You also don't get credit if it is direct-billed to your company.

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks alll. She ended up registering for Marriott Rewards account as they wouldn’t add it to the reservation.

I hope she listed your account as a reference.... I think that is still worth about 10K to you...

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
My kids have used my rewards number for stays for rooms that I did not occupy. When I do this, I put both my name and their name on the reservation. I call the hotel and have them note that my son will be checking in first. They do this to take advantage of the concierge access, the higher MRP bonus (that I move to their accounts) and the hotel discounts I have access to. I do this only when they ask me to do it. I have also used MR points for room that they stayed in without me being there. I usually offer this. The sum total of times I did something for a room I did not occupy is maybe 15 times.

Is this against the rules? Yes. I do remind them as with any rule, if you break it and there are consequences, you suffer them. If they use my points based on my offering, if anything happened, I would be responsible for whatever they had to pay for the room.

Am I not advocating for anyone else to do this. I would only do this for my family and I am comfortable with it. Never had an issue but again, if there was, there is no one else to blame.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually make the direct reservation online and then my wife checks in using our Marriott Chase Visa (her name on the card) which has the MR number on the back. One rewards account. One Visa. It's never been an issue.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Custom House, Points
My husband works for an airline and the crews stay at contracted rates with the airline (3rd party) paying. He gives his rewards number on checking in and gets the points no problem.

99% of the time no elite night credit given, but once in awhile the clerk keys it in and an elite credit pops up.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids have used my rewards number for stays for rooms that I did not occupy. When I do this, I put both my name and their name on the reservation. I call the hotel and have them note that my son will be checking in first. They do this to take advantage of the concierge access, the higher MRP bonus (that I move to their accounts) and the hotel discounts I have access to. I do this only when they ask me to do it. I have also used MR points for room that they stayed in without me being there. I usually offer this. The sum total of times I did something for a room I did not occupy is maybe 15 times.

Is this against the rules? Yes. I do remind them as with any rule, if you break it and there are consequences, you suffer them. If they use my points based on my offering, if anything happened, I would be responsible for whatever they had to pay for the room.

Am I not advocating for anyone else to do this. I would only do this for my family and I am comfortable with it. Never had an issue but again, if there was, there is no one else to blame.

I do this exact thing and have not run across any problems other than a simple reminder once. I even went so far as to call a hotel because my daughter's room view was not as good as I felt I would have expected with my status. The lady at the hotel told me that was all they had upon check-in and that I should have my daughter check back with her in the morning. The room was upgraded to a room with a better view the next day.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I do this exact thing and have not run across any problems other than a simple reminder once. I even went so far as to call a hotel because my daughter's room view was not as good as I felt I would have expected with my status. The lady at the hotel told me that was all they had upon check-in and that I should have my daughter check back with her in the morning. The room was upgraded to a room with a better view the next day.

That is true entitlement if you ask me. :)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I can see if you are the platinum premier member and complain and ask to be moved to a better unit (slthough I have never done this). But to not be actually occupying a unit and then calling the hotel (to use rewards status of DYKWIA to get a better unit) is being beyond entitled. Imagine the multitudes of people jockeying for upgrades and better views by status if this were allowed? Now the front desk personnel that allows this happen would be partially to blame because they are allowing it to happen.

Excerpts from marriott t&c

2.5.a. No other person except the Member may earn Points/Miles on Qualifying Charges and Elite Night Credit on Qualifying Nights for his/her Membership Account. Points/Miles and Elite Night Credit for a room shared by two Loyalty Program Members will only be awarded to one Loyalty Program Member.

4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e.) and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
About how the OP is not entitled to the elite night or any reward points since they aren't the ones that will be occupying the room.
Yep, I thought about saying that but decided to be quiet for a change. You know me too well!