• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC vs Wyndham and Hilton for Floridians

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I don't think it's a choice to pick between Wyndham and DVC. Wyndam points are under 1k resale. Anybody can buy them.

The question is, is the DVC premium worth it?

To me, my time is precious. While I'm walking to my DVC room as the park closes, I'm thinking about the the folks spending 15-20 mins waiting for a shuttle, fighting for spots on the tram or walking to the end of a parking lot, stuck in traffic for another 10-15 minutes, or going thru a separate security gate in the am wasting another 10 minutes. Meanwhile in 5 - 8 minutes I'm at Boardwalk or Beach Club or Bay Lake Tower in my room.

I've taken my shower, put my feet up while they are still trying to crank up the AC in a car. I've easily saved an hour a day by staying within walking distance at a park. Not to mention, if I stay on the monorail, I have a choice of over 15 different dining locations at the resort without having to drive (same with Epcot resorts).

I'll gladly pay the premium to save 90 minutes everyday in transit.

Also, DVC owners that rent points know that they can rent points at 2.5x maint fees. Only a select few resorts anywhere can achieve this. If you really want to recoup your buy in fees, just sell back points.

Personally, I bought both into 5 different programs including Wyndham. If I'm in Orlando and don't plan on going to the parks much Wyndam is fine. My actual favorite offsite near Disney is Sabal Palms. Can't beat the slides and large pool at the world center.
Even though I am not a dvc owner I agree with you. I have been fortunate to be able to trade into dvc a few times and there is nothing like being on disney properties with all the conveniences. Off site Sabal Palms is my favorite too.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is spot on except for the expenses. However, I think you may be missing hidden fees or perk savings as well with DVC.

DVC isn't a nickel and dime program, which I love. Some programs charge guest certicate fees, booking fees and cleaning fees. DVC doesn't. Plus, you have to factor in transportation costs to and from the airport at offsite resorts that DVC fees cover with Magic express included. With DVC no car is required unlike many offsite locations. Some off site resorts even charge fees to take their shuttle to the parks. That has to be added into the equation too. There are parking fees at some resorts that DVC doesn't charge owners. I value Disney's transportation network as a $300 savings for a week for my family of four.

Lastly, I save 20 percent yearly off DVC maint fees by paying with gift cards purchased at my grocery store using my Blue Amex preferred card. The card gets me 6 percent off. I wait until I get 4X points to get a $1 off gas at Kroger's up to 35 gallons of gas. I'm saving $200 per $1,000 spent.

Not to mention other DVC discounts on tickets and food at the parks.

So my standard two bedroom Bay Lake tower maint fee of 1,687 for one week during adventure season, is reduced to $1,350 with my credit card/ gas savings. Plus no car needed. No addition transportation costs from airport/ parking fees drops this down to $1,050. This is well below what Marriott or Vistana charges for a two bedroom. It's pretty much in Wyndham territory.
The reason I qualified it as "30% more for many situations apples to apples" is that it depends on how you use it. If you use the flexibility and use mostly studios, it may be cheaper. Let's take SSR summer and compare to Marriott Grande Vista. 344 points for a 2 BR for a week at SSR is $2036 for fees at the current price. GV is $1354 yearly. That difference will certainly grow as inflation marches along. If you have a lockoff fee non enrolled or club dues enrolled, the difference is still 25% for direct usage. DVC provides RCI access but it is restricted, Marriott is MUCH better exchanging with II whether enrolled or not enrolled even with a lockoff, II membership and exchange fee non enrolled it's still dramatically better IMO. Of course the devil's in the details and each should look at their own situation to compare. I don't give the gift card issue any importance but if you did you'd have to compare to getting 5 or 6 times points on the Marriott fees as well. BTW, I don't consider the Marriott fees as nickel and dime, with the wyndham housekeeping credits, I like would.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We own DVC and would always pick DVC if cost was equal. But, considering cost (just for annual fees-IMHO, I'll recoup my DVC capital outlay on resale), here's what we do:
small space (studio) = DVC;
Big space (2BR) = HGVC, BC, Marriott;
1BR =DVC if less than 7 nights or RCI-DVC trade,otherwise, switch to 2 BR above.

jberndt10

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are empty nesters, have owned Wyndham (resale) for many years and in January bought a small direct DVC. Not your typical demographic. What drove us were a lot of the perks, which I know can go away, and the convenience. I’m to the point where I wanted the ease of coming and going to the parks on my terms. And maybe this was my problem (or DH) but once we got into the park at 9a, we weren’t leaving till it closed.
What really drove us though was our last trip, just me and hubby, it was so much fun without kids! We met so many other empty nesters, who felt the same and who couldn’t say enough good things about Disney and how they’re made to feel as owners. Now again our fault for going, but I have never come out of a Wyndham “update” without being at least a little peeved for being treated as second class citizens.
Now as a I said we bought a small contract 50 points, cause we don’t plan on going every year, but enough to go every three years. I do have to confess though we came home and bought another 50 resale for a cushion (and someday we may have grandkids)
Last but not least it’s always important to remember with timeshare, it’s not always about the cost, it’s about wonderful vacations and memories.

floydp

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
I own at DVC and I am planning to sell all my points in the next year or so, mainly because DVC points are only good at DVC resorts, for all intensive purposes. I bought them for the family but the family dynamics have changed. You can trade DVC through RCI but the cost per point in maintenance fees is the same or more expensive than renting these same resorts, not to mention the high buy in cost. Also, there are very few resorts, if any, that are 4-5 star quality in RCI. Even most of The Registry resorts are mainly 4 star-ish. I have other less expensive timeshares that I can use to get Getaways or cheaper exchanges into any of the few RCI/Registry resorts I like. So far, the only time I have used RCI was for a wonderful Tradewinds Getaway but that is only allowed once every 4 years with RCI and the all inclusive fees and tips plus getaway fee was pretty expensive - about $3000 for a week. It is was still $1000 less than buying online as a last minute cash getaway direct from Tradewinds so still a good deal but I would not exchange DVC points for this. It would have been a bad trade since DVC points do not cover all inclusive fees. If anyone knows of some good, financially viable RCI trades with DVC points, please let us know.
As you may know or have learned from other postings on this thread, you could rent your DVC and make money. If you don't want to bother with any of that and really want to sell, then I implore you to list on TUG. I am sure that there are others like myself that would be eager to buy your DVC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
As you may know or have learned from other postings on this thread, you could rent your DVC and make money. If you don't want to bother with any of that and really want to sell, then I implore you to list on TUG. I am sure that there are others like myself that would be eager to buy your DVC.

Yes we may consider renting the points before selling. I just am skittish about renting our points and weeks of any of my timeshares because I have never done it. But I need to learn since I think we now have more timeshares than we can use in a given year. Too bad I deposited some weeks into II because I can’t rent those out now. But I was too close to the travel date to even attempt to rent the ones I deposited. I did try working with DVC Rental Store to rent my DVC points and do a cruise swap but I was not happy working with them. David’s is another rental option I could try if I do not learn to do it myself.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Marriott is definitely not a nickel and dime program. I should have clarified that better.

I hope they don't go the route of Wyndham or even Hilton for booking fees.

You did select the highest category room 2 bedroom at SSR during the 2 highest point season. But, I can play with those numbers too. If SSR is the choice standard rooms still come in at $1737. Animal Kingdom Lodge value two bedroom would cost $1,642 during this same period. Most people staying offsite rent a car if they are flying. $20 each day parking Fees at Disney, gas and tolls would easily put you around $350. I know Marriott doesn't have resort charge fees, but some timeshare do. Knock $350 in transportation fees off and you are right at Marriott cost during peak season. Conversely, if you go in December or November (when most DVC members prefer to go), the DVC maint fee for that 2 bedroom is 18 to 20 percent cheaper putting it as same value as Marriott before transportation savings.

My point is it's impossible to look at a room to room cost when comparing DVC vs any other program. A better comparison would be for you to look at all Disney costs and tally those against DVC (food, transportation, and tickets).

If my DVC membership saves me 10-20 percent off food and souvenirs, $200 off annual pass tickets per person, and $300 in transportation costs per trip when compared to other programs (not just Marriott), I think DVC will prove its value financially.

As far as my twenty percent disney savings buying disney gift cards to pay for my maint fees, if the local grocery store sells Marriott gift cards and Marriott owners can use them to pay their maint fees, that would be an equal savings. Maybe someone is currently doing that within Marriott's program.

My point was to illustrate total savings to show you that DVC maint fees cover much more than just a roof over your head, so how could you compare DVC maint fees to offsite maint fees that only cover the roof over your head?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is definitely not a nickel and dime program. I should have clarified that better.

I hope they don't go the route of Wyndham or even Hilton for booking fees.

You did select the highest category room 2 bedroom at SSR during the 2 highest point season. But, I can play with those numbers too. If SSR is the choice standard rooms still come in at $1737. Animal Kingdom Lodge value two bedroom would cost $1,642 during this same period. Most people staying offsite rent a car if they are flying. $20 each day parking Fees at Disney, gas and tolls would easily put you around $350. I know Marriott doesn't have resort charge fees, but some timeshare do. Knock $350 in transportation fees off and you are right at Marriott cost during peak season. Conversely, if you go in December or November (when most DVC members prefer to go), the DVC maint fee for that 2 bedroom is 18 to 20 percent cheaper putting it as same value as Marriott before transportation savings.

My point is it's impossible to look at a room to room cost when comparing DVC vs any other program. A better comparison would be for you to look at all Disney costs and tally those against DVC (food, transportation, and tickets).

If my DVC membership saves me 10-20 percent off food and souvenirs, $200 off annual pass tickets per person, and $300 in transportation costs per trip when compared to other programs (not just Marriott), I think DVC will prove its value financially.

As far as my twenty percent disney savings buying disney gift cards to pay for my maint fees, if the local grocery store sells Marriott gift cards and Marriott owners can use them to pay their maint fees, that would be an equal savings. Maybe someone is currently doing that within Marriott's program.

My point was to illustrate total savings to show you that DVC maint fees cover much more than just a roof over your head, so how could you compare DVC maint fees to offsite maint fees that only cover the roof over your head?
That's why I said apples to apples. But one could do the same for the DC options. If one wants to include park parking for this comparison as I laid it out, 5-6 days would be the correct amount to consider but there are other ways to get parking, passes usually include it. IMO the best individual comparison is how one will use it. For many they want to look at the flexibility but they often end up using it the same way as they would a weeks timeshare. For me personally I'd add consider value on the trading side but I didn't include any dollars there because that is even more variable and individual. The other component is one should also consider the TVM/Opportunity costs of the difference in dollars going in.

jberndt10

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were looking there were no DVC’s on tug. Unfortunately with Disney’s ROFR, i think it’s easier to use a broker.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were looking there were no DVC’s on tug. Unfortunately with Disney’s ROFR, i think it’s easier to use a broker.
There's no reason not to unless one is buying from a friend, family member or direct acquaintance fro the buyer. And little benefit to the seller.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Very few Tuggers own at DVC. These are the most active DVC threads I have seen in over a year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having stayed at BCV, BWV, other DVC resorts, Bonnet Creek, and other Disney resorts, I can say that this GREATLY overstates the difference in transit times in my experience.

Please share your experience with us.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very few Tuggers own at DVC. These are the most active DVC threads I have seen in over a year.

Maybe many tuggers own but because they are happy and dvc is an easy system to use, discussions are less. Or maybe many tuggers didn’t buy because many of us find more cost effective alternatives.

I have contemplated owning at dvc as I love the experience, nothing like staying on site.

I just couldn’t make the purchasec price work in my head. Using a one bedroom in the equation, hubby dislikes studios, instead of dvc I got two prime one br fixed winter weeks in old key west AND two 2 br winter flex weeks at hgvc marco Island, for the price one week at dvc saratoga would cost for me to purchase. Four prime weeks instead of one dvc week.

Meanwhile trading my hgvc points into dvc and if that availability disappears Marriott’s and hgvc in orlando will do.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe many tuggers own but because they are happy and dvc is an easy system to use, discussions are less. Or maybe many tuggers didn’t buy because many of us find more cost effective alternatives.

I have contemplated owning at dvc as I love the experience, nothing like staying on site.

I just couldn’t make the purchasec price work in my head. Using a one bedroom in the equation, hubby dislikes studios, instead of dvc I got two prime one br fixed winter weeks in old key west AND two 2 br winter flex weeks at hgvc marco Island, for the price one week at dvc saratoga would cost for me to purchase. Four prime weeks instead of one dvc week.

Meanwhile trading my hgvc points into dvc and if that availability disappears Marriott’s and hgvc in orlando will do.
More likely DVC is a specialty product that lends itself to a small group of people. Basically those who feel paying more to stay on property is worth it. DVC is not the traditional timeshare in the sense of the way owners and potential owners look at it though at the end of the day it's just another nice timeshare.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is why I think so few Tuggers own at DVC. I don’t think people here see much value in it from a financial point of view. Tuggers seems to be very financially saavy and into the bottom line.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My husband was asking me if DVC has changed or if it is still 20-30 year ownerships, not lifetime?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
My husband was asking me if DVC has changed or if it is still 20-30 year ownerships, not lifetime?

It’s always been 60 years.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I think so few Tuggers own at DVC. I don’t think people here do not see much value in it from a financial point of view. Tuggers seems to be very financially saavy and into the bottom line.

I see a ton of value from the financial point of view. I bought BLT resale in October 2015. If I sold it today, I would probably make about $4000 more than I paid for it. The first year, I rented half my points and covered all my MFs. If I sold today, my past three years' of DVC vacations would have been totally free, and I'd probably even have a few hundred dollars left over. And I saved well over $1000 on my APs with the DVC discount as well. I didn't buy it with the idea of selling it for a profit, but it's nice to know the option exists.

Compare that to my Wyndham. I bought it in 2008 for $212. If I sold it today, I'd be lucky to get back my $212. I'd probably just deed it back using Ovations. And I'd be out the 10 years' worth of MFs I'd paid. I like the Wyndham resorts, but I hate all the fees and the crazy sales pressure.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Disney was a much better deal for me financially and emotionally. Now I want to deed back my Wyndham and buy more DVC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see a ton of value from the financial point of view. I bought BLT resale in October 2015. If I sold it today, I would probably make about $4000 more than I paid for it. The first year, I rented half my points and covered all my MFs. If I sold today, my past three years' of DVC vacations would have been totally free, and I'd probably even have a few hundred dollars left over. And I saved well over $1000 on my APs with the DVC discount as well. I didn't buy it with the idea of selling it for a profit, but it's nice to know the option exists.

Compare that to my Wyndham. I bought it in 2008 for $212. If I sold it today, I'd be lucky to get back my $212. I'd probably just deed it back using Ovations. And I'd be out the 10 years' worth of MFs I'd paid. I like the Wyndham resorts, but I hate all the fees and the crazy sales pressure.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Disney was a much better deal for me financially and emotionally. Now I want to deed back my Wyndham and buy more DVC.

This is good to hear. I don’t think most Tuggers see Disney this way. I agree with you. I own 470 DVC points and thinking I may not sell after all. We bought for the family but family dynamics unexpectedly changed and threw us a curve ball. Now, I decided I am going to use them myself with DH or rent out the points we can’t use. Now that I bought in, it’s a sunk cost and I think the MFs are reasonable. I like the simplicity of DVC. I love Disney’s customer service. DVC is the easiest timeshare program to use. We are visiting Aulani soon and I am really looking forward to it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s always been 60 years.
Not accurate. Initially OKW was 50 years and then all of the resorts that came online after that ended the same date (1/31/2042) until SSR which was a new 50 years. The resorts since have been 50 years, it's never been 60.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Not accurate. Initially OKW was 50 years and then all of the resorts that came online after that ended the same date (1/31/2042) until SSR which was a new 50 years. The resorts since have been 50 years, it's never been 60.

Lol ok. You are, as always, right I’m sure.

It’s 50 years. The point is it’s not 20-30 years. It’s essentially a “lifetime,” given that most people aren’t purchasing until well into adulthood.

This is another “issue” people have with DVC that IMO is a complete non issue. People want to pass timeshares down to their kids only to realize later their kids may not want them. The useful lifespan of a TS is 30-40 years max for most people. DVC has a built in exit strategy which is realistically nothing but a positive.

I’m not a DVC Pollyanna by any means. I can see both the pros and the cons of it. The thing that surprises me is how many people focus on it being “expensive” when it’s the only timeshare currently that regularly appreciates in value. Since right now with DVC you can reasonably expect to sell your ownership at enough of a profit that all of your ownership expenses are covered, DVC is quite obviously beating even free timeshares as a value proposition.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC expiring isn't a pro, given how expensive they are resale. If you hold it to the expiry - some of which are in only 24 years - you will have sunk your purchase price. If they were perpetual, it's very likely that the "exit strategy" for people who were past their DVC after 50 years of ownership would be to sell it for significant $$.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is good to hear. I don’t think most Tuggers see Disney this way. I agree with you. I own 470 DVC points and thinking I may not sell after all. We bought for the family but family dynamics unexpectedly changed and threw us a curve ball. Now, I decided I am going to use them myself with DH or rent out the points we can’t use. Now that I bought in, it’s a sunk cost and I think the MFs are reasonable. I like the simplicity of DVC. I love Disney’s customer service. DVC is the easiest timeshare program to use. We are visiting Aulani soon and I am really looking forward to it.
I am glad you have decided to use it. The value is in you using it the best you can. You own it already to enjoy. DVC is definitely the timeshare that held its value the best and based on past performance the future looks good but there is no guarantee for the future. If I owned DVC , even if I knew it would lose value I would keep it and enjoy it. My guess is I could trade with tuggers for the best weeks anywhere I want to go. If I only purchased DVC years ago, but I didn’t.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
DVC expiring isn't a pro, given how expensive they are resale. If you hold it to the expiry - some of which are in only 24 years - you will have sunk your purchase price. If they were perpetual, it's very likely that the "exit strategy" for people who were past their DVC after 50 years of ownership would be to sell it for significant $$.

Well we shall just have to disagree on this.

I didn’t start buying timeshares until I was in my 40s. I’m probably not going to want to use them much more than a total of 25-35 years.

If I sell my DVC after 10-15 years of ownership, I’ll recoup a lot of my initial investment. If I sell after 30 years of ownership, I’ll recoup less of my initial investment but I’ll have gotten more use out of it. Either way, it works.

The contracts with only 24 years left sell for half the cost of the contracts which expire later. So my choice is: pay more now and get a better resale price in 20 years or pay less now and get little to no resale price in 20 years.

The lack of an exit strategy for timeshare ownership is a huge problem for the industry. All timeshares should expire IMO. It’s a positive.