• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"New Brands and New Opportunities..."

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from MVCI (NOT Marriott) touting the "New Brands and Opportunities" resulting from the ILG merger that are now available to me as a Destinations Point owner.

I was a little surprised...I didn't think ANYTHING would happen this fast. And of course, not a single opportunity in the long email related to the ILG merger - it was all stuff that resulted from Marriott's buying Starwood. Good for a laugh I guess.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is interesting that there was no mention of Hyatt Vacation Club or any other inventory ILG owned.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the content of the email I received.

You've always known that Marriott Vacation Club has offered its Owners memorable and lasting vacations year after year. As you may have heard, Marriott Vacations Worldwide℠, with its three outstanding brands: Marriott Vacation Club®, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club® and Grand Residences by Marriott®, has recently acquired ILG, the parent company of the developer and operator of Sheraton® Vacation Club, Westin® Vacation Club and St. Regis® Residence Club. This is an exciting time as we grow our brands and we want to share this excitement by offering expanded opportunities to our valued Owners.

UPGRADED MARRIOTT REWARDS® STATUS
As a benefit of being a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange program, you were upgraded to Platinum Elite status in the Marriott Rewards program. We're pleased to announce that we have upgraded your current Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards status even higher to the newly created Platinum Premier Elite level.1 The benefits just got better, and with your new status, you'll enjoy these outstanding features:
Complimentary In-Room Internet Access
*Enhanced Internet (where available)
Mobile Check-In/Services
Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
75% Points Bonus
4:00 p.m. Priority Late Check-out
*Based on Availability
Dedicated Elite Reservation Line
In-Hotel Welcome Gift
*Varies by Brand
Enhanced Room Upgrade (Including Suites)
*Based on Availability
Lounge Access
*Where Available
Guaranteed Room Type
48-Hour Guarantee Room availability
(subject to limitations)
Note: Most benefits are for hotels only and not available at Marriott Vacation Club, Grand Residences by Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club or St. Regis Residence Club properties.

EXPANDED BRANDS AND DESTINATIONS THROUGH MARRIOTT REWARDS
Previously, Marriott Rewards points earned from your Ownership were only eligible for use at Marriott branded hotels. Now you'll have opportunities to use your Marriott Rewards points at more than 6,500 hotels across 29 unique brands where you'll enjoy elevated Elite benefits and status recognition.2 Consider all the places your elevated status can take you: exciting destinations at hotels under the distinctive Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Marriott and Starwood brands.

EXPANDED RENTAL DISCOUNTS ACROSS BRANDS
Based on your Owner benefit level, you currently receive a villa rental discount exclusively at Marriott Vacation Club resorts. Now, with the unification of Marriott Vacations Worldwide and ILG, you will also receive the current villa discount of 25% at all available Westin Vacation Club and Sheraton Vacation Club locations.3 Additional information and booking instructions can be found here.

EXCLUSIVE FOOD & BEVERAGE DISCOUNTS AND SPECIALS ACROSS BRANDS
Another added value to your Ownership is certain exclusive food, beverage and activity discounts and specials you receive while staying at participating Marriott Vacation Club resorts and Grand Residences by Marriott. We're now expanding this feature for you to include participating Sheraton Vacation Club and Westin Vacation Club locations. Additional information and program details can be found here.

We are extremely excited about the future of Marriott Vacation Club! We want to assure you that this is only the beginning as we continue to work hard to determine whether additional benefits and services could potentially be made available in the future from our newly combined company. Our goals remain consistent: to provide the highest quality vacation experiences for our valued Owners.

Stay connected with news and details of these new enhancements here.

1For those who have attained this status previously, there are no further impacts to your membership.
2Excludes timeshare locations.
3For direct villa reservations and not applicable for Getaway offers through Interval International®.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that as well. I wonder if this is indication that they plan to sell the property.
I always thought this was the most likely end result.

magicjourney

Reaction score
The email I received this morning from Hyatt does acknowledge the merger though:
In recent months, ILG ̶ the licensee of the Hyatt Residence Club brand ̶ announced its plans to combine with Marriott Vacations Worldwide to create a leading global provider of premier vacation experiences.

I am pleased to share that the transaction is complete. The combined company licenses several of the most coveted lifestyle vacation ownership brands, including Hyatt Residence Club under license from an affiliate of Hyatt Hotels, and other prestigious brands.

We’re excited about the future of Hyatt Residence Club and working with Hyatt. Our goals remain consistent: to provide the highest-quality vacation experiences synonymous with the Hyatt brand and greatest flexibility for our valued Owners.

To view a list of frequently asked questions, please visit hyattresidenceclub.com.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The email to Hyatt owners stresses the licensee issue quite a bit. Another possibility is that Marriott could re-brand the Hyatt properties under Marriott Vacation Club and get rid of the Hyatt brand license. Is there anything that would keep them from doing this?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
The email to Hyatt owners stresses the licensee issue quite a bit. Another possibility is that Marriott could re-brand the Hyatt properties under Marriott Vacation Club and get rid of the Hyatt brand license. Is there anything that would keep them from doing this?

If they did this, they would destroy a lot of goodwill. The Hyatt name has value and to just rebrand would cause some loss of value. I would consider Hyatt more luxury than Marriott so to me, there would be loss of value, if I was a shareholder.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If they did this, they would destroy a lot of goodwill. The Hyatt name has value and to just rebrand would cause some loss of value. I would consider Hyatt more luxury than Marriott so to me, there would be loss of value, if I was a shareholder.

Not necessarily. If they think Hyatt is more upscale than Marriott, they could rebrand under Westin or any of the more upscale brands. I was just speculating since Marriott and Hyatt are competitors and the email to Hyatt owners made such a big deal about the licensing issue. It is almost like MVC is purposely trying to stress with Hyatt owners that the Hyatt brand is only a license. Then in everyone else’s email, Hyatt is not mentioned at all. I suspect they will either sell Hyatt or rebrand. I personally think merging Hyatt into the overall MVC system will create more shareholder value.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading into things but I find it interesting that the Hyatt logo is on the far right and separated by a pipe. Eventually we'll know but now we can just speculate.

Attachments

• Hyatt.png
    Hyatt.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 291

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe I'm reading into things but I find it interesting that the Hyatt logo is on the far right and separated by a pipe. Eventually we'll know but now we can just speculate.

That is very interesting. The message seems loud and clear that there is a different plan for Hyatt Residence Club than with the rest of the properties.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the email I received from Vistana. No mention of Hyatt. It has a very different tone than the email Hyatt sent to their owners. Vistana is already offering MVC benefits to its owners. That was a surprise to read.

Dear Owner,

In recent months, ILG — the parent company of Vistana Signature Experiences — announced its plans to combine with Marriott Vacations Worldwide to create a leading global provider of premier vacation experiences.

The combined company brings together several of the most coveted lifestyle vacation ownership brands under a single entity, including Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, Marriott Vacation Club, Grand Residences by Marriott, St. Regis Residence Club and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, providing an unparalleled collection of world-class vacation ownership resorts and services.

I am pleased to share that the transaction is complete. Through this combination, we are excited to introduce new opportunities for Owners.

Owners in the Vistana Signature Network can now use their ownership to access Marriott hotels and resorts worldwide through the SPG program.

Previously, hotel loyalty points received in connection with your vacation ownership were only eligible to be used at SPG-branded hotels. Now, you have even more choices at over 6,500 hotels and resorts across 29 unique brands in 127 countries, including Marriott-branded hotels — all while continuing to receive preferred status recognition as a Gold Elite member in the SPG program.

Receive expanded and enhanced discounts at Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, and Marriott Vacation Club resorts.

All Owners will now receive 25% off available nightly rental rates, as well as exclusive discounts on certain food, beverage and activities at participating outlets, at Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, and Marriott Vacation Club resorts, subject to applicable terms and conditions. To make a reservation or learn more, log in to vistana.com and select Owner Exclusives on your Owner Dashboard. Additional information may be provided at time of check-in.

We are extremely excited about the future. We want to assure you that this is only the beginning as we continue to work hard to determine whether additional benefits and services could potentially be made available in the future from our newly combined company. Our goals remain consistent: to provide the highest-quality vacation experiences and greatest flexibility for our valued Owners.

To view a list of frequently asked questions, please visit vistana.com/news. For the latest news regarding SPG and Marriott Rewards, visit members.marriott.com.

Best regards,
Steve_Weisz.png

Steve Weisz
President and Chief Executive Officer
Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation

Vistana Owners who also own with Marriott Vacation Club will receive separate announcement communications specific to their ownership.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So no real changes than we already knew. The change for us from Gold Elite Status to Platinum Elite was already known and was a result of the change in Elite levels in the Marriott Reward system. The other benefits really aren't anything drastic. Providing the owners discounts across brands really doesn't change anyone's ownership or provide them additional internal exchange possibilities between the different systems. If I own at a Marriott but stay at a Westin timeshare, I get a perhaps a 10% discount on food and beverage. Whoop. Most times you get that if you are exchanging in anyway.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The point for me is they are already starting to integrate Vistana into MVC. But it appears no such benefits were offered to Hyatt owners and the email to Hyatt owners was not a similarly friendly communication.

I am sure there will be more changes on the way.`

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
So no real changes than we already knew. The change for us from Gold Elite Status to Platinum Elite was already known and was a result of the change in Elite levels in the Marriott Reward system. The other benefits really aren't anything drastic. Providing the owners discounts across brands really doesn't change anyone's ownership or provide them additional internal exchange possibilities between the different systems. If I own at a Marriott but stay at a Westin timeshare, I get a perhaps a 10% discount on food and beverage. Whoop. Most times you get that if you are exchanging in anyway.
Dumb question here, but was everyone already given some level of MR status prior to the merger?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dumb question here, but was everyone already given some level of MR status prior to the merger?
Yes, if you were a DC point owner or enrolled owner and were Select level or above.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With Vistana no automatic status with resales deeded weeks or SVN member. Retail SVN members up through 4 star have gold status and 5 star elite gets platinum. Marriott non enrolled weeks owners get no automatic status.

LolaC

Reaction score
Just got an email from MVCI (NOT Marriott) touting the "New Brands and Opportunities" resulting from the ILG merger that are now available to me as a Destinations Point owner.

I was a little surprised...I didn't think ANYTHING would happen this fast. And of course, not a single opportunity in the long email related to the ILG merger - it was all stuff that resulted from Marriott's buying Starwood. Good for a laugh I guess.

I got the same email I guess which starts off with the following:

"You've always known that Marriott Vacation Club has offered its Owners memorable and lasting vacations year after year. As you may have heard, Marriott Vacations Worldwide℠, with its three outstanding brands: Marriott Vacation Club®, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club® and Grand Residences by Marriott®, has recently acquired ILG, the parent company of the developer and operator of Sheraton® Vacation Club, Westin® Vacation Club and St. Regis® Residence Club. This is an exciting time as we grow our brands and we want to share this excitement by offering expanded opportunities to our valued Owners.
As a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program, we're pleased to announce that with our expansion, we will upgrade your Marriott Rewards membership to the Gold Elite status level starting February 2019. You'll soon enjoy these outstanding features from your new Marriott Rewards status: etc etc......"

Weird because we were already Gold Elite before the merger and have been for a few years now.

So Gold Elite would not even be an upgrade.

After the Marriott/Starwood merger was official, I logged into our Marriott Rewards account on August 19, 2018 and saw that as rumored, we now were MR Platinum Elite.

Still shows Platinum Elite now when I Iog in to see all of my upcoming reservations.

Anybody else have a discrepancy between the email and what your MR account updated to post merger?

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina

"You've always known that Marriott Vacation Club has offered its Owners memorable and lasting vacations year after year. As you may have heard, Marriott Vacations Worldwide℠, with its three outstanding brands: Marriott Vacation Club®, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club® and Grand Residences by Marriott®, has recently acquired ILG, the parent company of the developer and operator of Sheraton® Vacation Club, Westin® Vacation Club and St. Regis® Residence Club. This is an exciting time as we grow our brands and we want to share this excitement by offering expanded opportunities to our valued Owners.
As a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program, we're pleased to announce that with our expansion, we will upgrade your Marriott Rewards membership to the Gold Elite status level starting February 2019. You'll soon enjoy these outstanding features from your new Marriott Rewards status: etc etc......"

Weird because we were already Gold Elite before the merger and have been for a few years now.

After the Marriott/Starwood merger was official, I logged into our Marriott Rewards account on August 19, 2018 and saw that as rumored, we now were MR Platinum Elite.

Still shows Platinum Elite now when I Iog in to see all of my upcoming reservations.

Anybody else have a discrepancy between the email and what your MR account updated to post merger?

I received the same message. I already had Platinum status with MR, so that’s why i never realized that they gave you Gold status at the Select level.

I did think it was odd that they offered me Gold status, but figured that one database isn’t talking to the other database.

So now I have this gold status plus gold status for the new SPG credit card that I can’t use. First world problems.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

If you earned a higher status through some other means, such as night stayed or credit card spend, then you get the higher status. What is your owner level in DC? How many trust and enrolled points do you have in total?

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting. The message seems loud and clear that there is a different plan for Hyatt Residence Club than with the rest of the properties.

I'm assuming communication with Hyatt is different because of the Marriott/Starwood HOTEL merger. Hyatt is not part of the combined HOTEL company... so the Marriott TIMESHARE company can't lump Hyatt timeshares with all of the other TIMESHARE brands that are now included on the HOTEL reservation/point system.