• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nanea from Developer

Reaction score
We just left a sales presentation and were pretty tempted to purchase. They were selling a 2br for $60k, with all sorts of things thrown in like lifetime gold status, a bunch of points, etc. We ultimately decided to walk away just because we wanted some time to discuss privately, and we discovered this site and seems like we might have made the right choice. I have have a few questions though.

Does buying at nanea via developer offer anything that I can't get via the resale market? Is nanea mandatory? Does purchasing at nanea have any sort of power for staying at other resorts? To be honest, we probably wouldn't travel to Hawaii all that often, but when we can, nanea is gorgeous and I'd love to stay there.

I guess thats it for now.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does buying at nanea via developer offer anything that I can't get via the resale market?

No - it's not a good deal - glad you didn't fall for it!

They were selling a 2br for $60k, with all sorts of things thrown in like lifetime gold status, a bunch of points, etc.

These perks are standard, but they are not nearly worth the tens of thousands of dollars that you have to pay to buy from the developer.

Is nanea mandatory?

No - if you try to re-sell it, the new owner doesn't get any Staroptions and that really tanks the re-sale value.

Does purchasing at nanea have any sort of power for staying at other resorts?

No - All Staroptions, from all resorts have the same value. You can buy for a fraction of the cost (nearly free in some cases) at other mandatory resorts and get Staroptions.

To be honest, we probably wouldn't travel to Hawaii all that often, but when we can, nanea is gorgeous and I'd love to stay there.

Then you should consider a mandatory re-sale with Staroptions. Generally, 2 resorts are considered the best value for Staroptions:

* Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - cheap or free to buy, but the maintenance fee is higher than WKV.

* Westin Kierland Villas - more expensive to buy, but the maintenance fee is lower than SVV.

There is a steep learning curve with timeshares, and there is no rush to buy - so take you time. I recommend that you start your research with the articles at the top of the forum.

Start with the FAQ: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much! So if I buy at kierland, I can stay at nanea assuming i have the points? The salesman essentially said it's impossible without buying there.

I am so glad we held off and found this site.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
FYI, it's darn near impossible to book a 1 bedroom at Nanea. So, if you want to use staroptions from another resort, I would at least try to get 148100 so you can book a two bedroom at 8 months.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, if you buy a Mandatory resort on the resale market, you will get Staroptions which you can use to book any resort in the Vistana system starting at 8 mos. before check-in.

-Caveat: You can't reserve Christmas or New Years at the Hawaii resorts - those weeks were sold a fixed event weeks and you have to own them to reserve them.

-The major holiday weeks may not be available, but if you are flexible, you can reserve most seasons of the year. Fall has the most availability. Anytime kids are out of school, has the least availability.

*Terminology: Please be aware that the points used for Vistana timeshare reservations are called "Staroptions," and that "Starpoints" is a hotel term, although that may change with Marriotts acquisition of Vistana.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Buy the 2br Platinum plus at WKV which gets you 148,100 staroptions on the resale market for ~$15,000. Maintenance fees about ~$1,500. This will allow you to reserve an island view 2br at Nanea, or the other two Westins on Maui, 8 months out. Availability is not guaranteed and a high demand week may be difficult to reserve.

If you want a higher chance to reserve your choice of week (12 months out, but still not a guarantee), AND you require ocean view or ocean front, buy a Maui week, resale.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Buy the 2br Platinum plus at WKV which gets you 148,100 staroptions on the resale market for ~$15,000. Maintenance fees about ~$1,500. This will allow you to reserve an island view 2br at Nanea, or the other two Westins on Maui, 8 months out. Availability is not guaranteed and a high demand week may be difficult to reserve.

If you want a higher chance to reserve your choice of week (12 months out, but still not a guarantee), AND you require ocean view or ocean front, buy a Maui week, resale.

Good advice, although not each view category exists at each resort.

fwiw--I would never buy Resort View at Nanea or Island View at WKORV. In each case, it is quite possible to be assigned a unit with a parking lot view. Although I might take that risk on a cheap exchange, I would never pay top dollar (i.e. even resale prices + MF's for a Hawaii property) and still have a parking lot view risk.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to go this route. I can't believe the salesman can get away with straight up lying during the presentation.

Anyway, it seems there is a WKV for sale with 148,100 staroptions for ~$12k on the market place here unless I'm looking at it wrong. If it's still available once we're home, I'll reach out!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just so you know - all the timeshare sales people lie. They work on commission, and they will say whatever it takes to get you to buy - that is their only motivation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We just left a sales presentation and were pretty tempted to purchase. They were selling a 2br for $60k, with all sorts of things thrown in like lifetime gold status, a bunch of points, etc. We ultimately decided to walk away just because we wanted some time to discuss privately, and we discovered this site and seems like we might have made the right choice. I have have a few questions though.

Does buying at nanea via developer offer anything that I can't get via the resale market? Is nanea mandatory? Does purchasing at nanea have any sort of power for staying at other resorts? To be honest, we probably wouldn't travel to Hawaii all that often, but when we can, nanea is gorgeous and I'd love to stay there.

I guess thats it for now.

Thanks!

Congrats of finding TUG in time - too many do not
Rescind
Research
Resale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway, it seems there is a WKV for sale with 148,100 staroptions for ~$12k on the market place here unless I'm looking at it wrong. If it's still available once we're home, I'll reach out!

That one is sold (pending) I checked on it last week. But you can find them in the 13-15k range.

I am in escrow on one from Redweek now hoping to close shortly.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
I also just went to the developer pitch a couple of weeks ago and nearly bought the island-view unit for $33k every-other-year. There are a few things that you can only buy through the developer, like the option to purchase ~1MM Marriott reward points for a good chunk of change ($8000 or so). After I looked into it, it was less appealing since top-shelf units like the suites /penthouse / villas at various hotels / resorts are often not made available for star points redemptions. This is bad if you're traveling with a large party and need the extra space at the expense of more points.

The other thing is that the star points / marriott point redemptions are not a great deal. You are essentially trading the MFs for a not-great amount of star points. Signing up for that new SPG Luxury card is a way better value and even purchasing starpoints/marriott points directly from Marriott is a lower-overhead way to generate the points.

I think what sold me on buying a resale unit was looking at the price comparison. You can get a oceanfront unit (not the island view!) with the StarOptions flexibility by purchasing a resale unit at one of the Westin Kaanapali properties for $20-30k. Its probably not the most economical way to get StarOptions as WKV is a better buy to use as a "trading" property, but it's nice to have the flexibility if you want to use it.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to go this route. I can't believe the salesman can get away with straight up lying during the presentation.

Also try making an account at RedWeek.com and troll around through their listing. They have a lot more than on the TUG board.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
For what it is worth, we are closing on a WKV Plat EY 2 bedroom for 13K and this years options -148100- paid for by seller ( we will roll it over to 2019). Ad was here on TUG!

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, we are closing on a WKV Plat EY 2 bedroom for 13K and this years options -148100- paid for by seller ( we will roll it over to 2019). Ad was here on TUG!

That’s a great price especially if 2018 staroptions are included. But how do you plan on rolling them over into 2019 since you are past the banking deadline unless you are 5 star elite

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
That’s a great price especially if 2018 staroptions are included. But how do you plan on rolling them over into 2019 since you are past the banking deadline unless you are 5 star elite
We are 5*- we do see this as two more weeks in Hawaii next year as I will be retiring.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Congrats! I think this was a good price. Prices on WKV have definitely come down. I was told by a broker that one had sold for 11k earlier in the year and there was the one that sold for under 12k that was mentioned earlier. These lower prices appear to not be isolated instances.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I'm a Nanea owner that bought from the Developer. :doh:

As others posted, you did right by not buying. I, unfortunately, discovered this site after the rescind date. With that, I plan to keep it, and make the most of it for a long time. And with that, there are some benefits, but as mentioned, they don't come close to the price you pay for it. The good for me is that I only bought EOY, and instead of purchasing the other, I know to get at WKV or SVV instead. And I likely will.

The biggest benefit to me is that at 12 months out, I don't have to book 7 days, or check in on a Fri/Sat/Sun. This is typical at 8 months, but now, I can book (so far any week) prime weeks Sunday - Friday, for about 88,000 pts, and still have a good chunk (60,00 pts). I have small kids so I can fit in 1 bedroom and theoretically book Nanea for 5 nights, then a studio for another 7 nights and do a 12 day trip instead (book at WKVR/N at 8 months). again, not worth the cost of the extra $$, but worth something if I plan to go to Nanea on peak weeks (I do) and staying less than 7 days is somewhat common for now with kids in school.

Though the 1 bedroom is practically impossible to book a week, I can somewhat find the 1 bedroom for 2-3 nights, book it, then book a 1-bed or studio stay at WKVR/N for 5-7 nights, and still be left with a nice chunk of points. The hotel switching may become tedious after a while, but I'll find out next year. I'm actually not used to staying in the same place for extended lengths as I usually like to hotel hop after a few nights.

In that case above, I can book Sun-Fri, say pres week, rent it out and cover the MF, and still have about 60,000 pts free.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you are going to buy anything from VSE - you should buy resale first and then requalify with the VSE purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk