• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Booking over New Year

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a Westin TS that will have it's SO points left for this year. If I book some days over NYE (a few days in 2018 and a few into 2019), how does that work (assuming there is some availability - I don't have a log in yet to check).

Can I do so with my 2018 SO points since the reservation starts in 2018, or do I use some of both since it crosses over into 2019. This would be for this NYE in Scottsdale, so within 8 month window, but home resort regardless.

Also i will (after closing) own a 2bdrm, so can I book a 1bdrm per above and deposit the Studio into II once I get my membership info?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve never done this so am not certain but I believe you need the appropriate amount of SOs for each year. FYI, I just checked and WKV is unavailable but SDO has availability starting that Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The system will automatically pull the Staroptions out of the 2018 and 2019, as appropriate.

It won't be a home resort reservation because it is within 8 mos. of check-in.

All reservations made within 8 mos. of check-in are automatically Staroption reservations, even at your home resort.
Also i will (after closing) own a 2bdrm, so can I book a 1bdrm per above and deposit the Studio into II once I get my membership info?

Yes, but since you are going to straddle 2 years, it's not going to come out even - you will have some leftover Staroptions in both years, in addition to the studio. This means that in both years, you will have a leftover studio, and leftover Staroptions.

You can deposit the studios with II, but not the leftover Staroptions - those are use or lose.

Personally, I would keep the studio and leftover Staroptions in 2019 - to have a larger number to use for a Staroption reservation(s). Generally, the Staroptions have more value than 2 studios deposited in II.

If you deposit the 2 studios in II, then you should expect to be able to trade for 2 studios. I don't know if that works for you or not. I'd rather have all the Staroptions for a bigger unit.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Maybe I deposit all of 2018 into II (since I will have all 148k points this year) THEN borrow points from 2019 to book the few 2018 days and use additional points to book the few 2019 days. Does that sound plausible?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the problem: you have to call Vistana to use the borrowed Staroptions, but you can't call until the day AFTER you can make the reservation online, so this will delay you 9 hours in getting the reservation that you want, so it may be gone by the time you can call.

Example: Tonight (Aug. 28th) at midnight I can reserve April 29th online, but I can't call and reserve it until 9 am Eastern, tomorrow.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise. Makes sense and sounds like my plan is a long shot. Plus it may take another month for my TS purchase to close. Appreciate the info on how things wowk.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Isn't the banking window June 30 for non-elite owners?
So the OP won't be able to bank the 2018 staroptions after the sale closes?
Or does Vistana allow a one-time exception for new owners?

If he can't bank the staroptions, then best alternative is to deposit a unit in II, and use star options from 2nd unit for NYE week or another date.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're right, but Vistana makes exceptions all the time, so I would push hard for an exception.

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I was assuming I would bank 2018 SO into II. Then see if I can use 2019 points early (barrow some from 2019]. But it doesn’t sound like there would be availability anyway. Thanks for all the tips.

BradC

Reaction score
If I remember correctly when I did this a few years back, the StarOptions came from the year of check-in. So a single reservation starting on 12/30/2018 and continuing to 1/12/2019 would all come out of 2018 balances (unless you call to arrange for borrowing from next year's StarOptions).

Am I remembering this incorrectly?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
That is absolutely correct. SOs are deducted from the year of check-in.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a Westin TS that will have it's SO points left for this year. If I book some days over NYE (a few days in 2018 and a few into 2019), how does that work (assuming there is some availability - I don't have a log in yet to check).

Can I do so with my 2018 SO points since the reservation starts in 2018, or do I use some of both since it crosses over into 2019. This would be for this NYE in Scottsdale, so within 8 month window, but home resort regardless.

Would you consider asking the seller to make a reservation for you? I can still see availability for Sat-Sat at WKV. You would still be able to deposit the studio into II, if you wanted to. CJ

Robotpedlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deal has closed now and I will check Vistana based on your suggestion. Thanks